Zavorot stomach in dogs can not be called a rare pathology, it is quite often diagnosed in friends of our four-legged. And there is an unexpected, developing rapidly, and the owner has only a few hours to deliver the pet to the veterinary clinic, otherwise the animal will die. How does such a dangerous pathological condition manifest itself, and what methods are used to treat it?
- Причины патологии 1. Causes of pathology
- Симптомы заворота желудка у собак 2. Symptoms of vomiting of stomach in dogs
- Диагностические методы 3. Diagnostic methods
- Лечение заворота желудка 4. Treatment of gastric inversion
- С чем можно спутать данное состояние? 5. What can be confused with this state?
Causes of pathology
This disease is due to the fact that, unlike the human, the dog's stomach is very weakly fixed, in addition, it is located horizontally. All this greatly increases the risks of twisting the organ around the esophagus and contributes to the development of concomitant complications. Such a disease has not been fully studied yet, but experts nevertheless identify a number of factors that provoke a stomach turn:
- Dimensions, body weight and age of the dog . In large, massive individuals, there is a more intensive stretching of the internal ligaments, so they quickly lose their elasticity. They are not able to fix the filled organ in the desired position, which leads to its twisting.
- Unbalanced diet . Dogs, in fact, are predators, which many owners forget, including in their menu a lot of cereals and vegetables, or feed the dog with low-quality dry food. Both are incorrect, since 70-75% of the pet's diet should consist of meat ingredients. The dog does not receive the necessary components and begins to eat more, which increases the load on the organs of the digestive tract. The walls of the stomach greatly stretch, thin, their elasticity decreases.
- Irregular, rare meals . Dogs receiving food once a day or less often fall into the risk group for stomach turn.
- Quick eating of food . Pets that are actively, almost without chewing, eat food, swallow a lot of excess air, because of what the body expands.
- Walking immediately after feeding . If the owner feeds the pet and immediately takes him to the street, then the stomach filled with undigested food can stretch and curl when the dog is actively moving.
- Heredity . If the puppy's parents suffered from such a pathology, then at him the puppy can manifest later.
- Stressful situations . According to statistics, anxious, restless dogs, suffering nervous shock, are more often affected by a curvature.
More often, the stomach turn develops in representatives of large and giant breeds: bullmastiffs, Dobermans, Labradors, and others.
Symptoms of vomiting in dogs
The pathology develops so quickly that within a hour or two the dog has expressed symptoms:
- the general condition deteriorates sharply (with activity after feeding);
- the pet worries, constantly fumbles in search for a more comfortable posture, which can reduce pain symptoms;
- frequent attacks of vomiting with abundant secretion of salivary mucous fluid, which do not cease after emptying the stomach;
- the volume of the abdominal cavity is rapidly increasing, while listening, you can determine strong gassing, but there are no sounds of bowel activity;
- there is a blue or paleness of the conjunctiva, the mucous membrane of the nose, mouth, genitals;
- there is shortness of breath;
- body temperature decreases;
- due to the fact that pathology leads to the transmission of blood vessels and nerve trunks, the dog is more and more difficult to climb.
The owner, who discovered such a condition of the pet, unfortunately, will not be able to help him independently. It's important not to get lost and take him to the veterinary clinic as soon as possible.
First of all, the veterinarian examines the dog, probes the peritoneum. After he collects an anamnesis, interviewing the owner, especially important information are that the dog ate how long and how much.
As the main diagnostic method, x-ray of the peritoneum is assigned. Usually this is enough to reveal the violations that have arisen. In some clinics, instead of X-ray, ultrasound is performed.
Confirm the occurrence of a stomach turn is possible if you enter a gastric tube. Excess gases emerge through the tube, filling the stomach, which provides a short-term relief. But gas accumulation continues, and after a while the abdominal cavity swells again. This is a clear sign of gastric obstruction.
Naturally, this procedure requires certain skills, so it must be performed by a specialist.
Treatment of gastric inversion
No pills and physioprocedures are able to rid the animal of this pathological condition. Required mandatory operation. And the sooner a fluke is diagnosed and the four-legged patient is operated, the more likely that the pet will recover.
Intervention is carried out urgently, in some cases surgeons make a puncture of the abdominal wall for releasing excess air and lowering the pressure on the organ.
The operation includes the following steps:
- the surgeon cuts a small section of the abdominal wall;
- twisted organ gives a normal position;
- fixes the stomach, using a special technology, which later does not allow the body to wrap around - it sutures it to the abdominal wall;
- by means of a probe, a specialist empties and rinses the injured organ;
- if in the process of operative manipulation dead tissue is found, then their excision is required;
- in the end, the abdominal cavity is washed with antiseptic means, examines for bleeding;
- at the end of the procedure, if the surgeon makes sure that there are no complications, he sutures the incision.
After surgery, a quadruple patient is assigned a series of tests and ultrasound to identify possible abnormalities in the functioning of the digestive system. If pathologies have been found, then the doctor is engaged in their treatment. In certain situations, after the surgery, the patient needs parenteral nutrition.
The duration of the recovery and rehabilitation period is determined by a variety of factors - the severity of the disease, the presence of complications and other ailments, the age characteristics of the dog. Young animals are rehabilitated much faster than their elderly counterparts. Usually the animal is in the hospital hospital for 2-3 days, in the complicated state it takes about 4-5 days to recover.
A darling must starve for two days, every day his seams are processed. The wound left after the surgery is closed with a bandage. To avoid the development of infection, the dog is prescribed antibacterial drugs, in addition the doctor can recommend the use of supporting and anti-emetic medicines. Suture material is removed after 10-14 days.
What can be confused with this state?
The symptoms of an inversion are similar to the symptoms of an acute enlargement of the stomach. Only in the second pathological condition, twisting of the organ does not occur, only its swelling due to accumulated gases. With acute expansion, it is sufficient to use a probe, less often the gases are released by puncturing the walls of the stomach - the specialist pierces the organ with a sharp needle, and through the holes the gases exit.
Procedures relieve the patient of unpleasant manifestations. This violation is not dangerous, but very often after such a pathology evolves, so the dog needs to be examined.
Zavorot stomach - a serious pathology, the development of which is much easier to prevent than after you send a four-legged pet to the operating table. The owner should take care of the correct, full nutrition of the dog, adhering to certain rules, and ensure a good living conditions. Particular attention should be paid to older animals, because they are much more difficult to cope with all sorts of diseases.