Owners of dogs at least once in their life faced with the lack of defecation of the pet or its difficulty. But not everyone knows how to deal with this problem and how to help a four-footed friend. Is constipation always a reason to call a veterinarian and what to do if the dog is constipated?
- Симптомы запора у собаки 1. Symptoms of constipation in dogs
- Неправильное питание и другие причины запора 2. Malnutrition and other causes of constipation
- Лечение запоров у собак 3. Treatment of constipation in dogs
- Коррекция питания при запоре 4. Correction of nutrition during constipation
- Домашние средства при запоре 5. Home remedies for constipation
- Профилактические меры от запоров 6. Preventive measures against constipation
Symptoms of constipation in dogs
If a person starts a dog, then he must take care of her and take good care of her health. What can suggest that the pet is not all right with the intestine?
First of all, a healthy dog goes to the toilet "at least" at least twice a day. If she began to empt less often or completely stopped, then this is an occasion to take a closer look at her general condition, and do not panic immediately. The number of defecations of an animal largely depends on its size, physiology and age.
First of all, it is necessary to evaluate how the pet behaves. If he is cheerful, cheerful, with good appetite, and the feces have a homogeneous stiff consistency, then there are no special concerns.
On the yard you can see that the dog is trying to go to the toilet, pushing, strenuously straining, but to no avail. At this point, you can hear how she squeaks and whines , as constipation causes pain and discomfort.
In addition, there are several symptoms that clearly indicate that the dog has constipation:
- bloating - the intestine accumulates gases, and the dog often rumbles in the stomach;
- lack of appetite - in case of intestinal obstruction, in most cases, pets refuse food;
- the dog may have vomiting ;
- she drinks a lot of water;
- general malaise - the dog without great enthusiasm perceives the message about the walking, moves little and seeks home.
In some cases, you can help the pet yourself, but not always. Seek medical attention if the following symptoms exist:
- if there is a blood admixture in the stool, foam, particles of undigested food;
- Feces have a distinct smell of rot and dampness.
What can cause such a state?
Malnutrition and other causes of constipation
Many things depend on proper nutrition , including the quantity and quality of emptying. The reason for constipation may be the following:
- the dog ate a large number of bones, especially tubular boiled;
- the pet is fed a steep broth;
- in the diet there is a large amount of fiber;
- overfeeding of a dog.
It is also difficult to defecate can cause feeding with dry food, which does not fit the pet.
Often constipation is not an independent disease, but only one of the symptoms of a more severe condition:
- diseases of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and kidneys;
- problems of a neurological or orthopedic nature;
- diseases of the paranal gland and prostate in males.
The ingestion of foreign objects into the body can also provoke obstruction of the feces. If the cause of constipation is found out by a veterinarian, then an x-ray of the peritoneum, a general blood test, an ultrasound scan are prescribed.
Treatment of constipation in dogs
Therapeutic treatment includes the use of preparations of lactulose, softening fecal masses - Dufalac, Lizolak, Laktusan, Livo-lac, Portalac. In addition, for this purpose, you can use petroleum jelly.
The most effective way to get rid of a pet from constipation, as well as to prevent them, are enemas. They successfully cleanse the intestines from hardened fecal stones.
If the diagnostic study has shown that the intestine of the dog is filled with bone fragments, it is often necessary to remove surgical intervention under general anesthesia for their removal.
If the constipation is accompanied by excessive vomiting and a complete lack of appetite, then supportive therapy in the form of droppers, which protects the body from dehydration, is prescribed.
In more complicated cases, veterinarians can resort to amputation of a fragment of the large intestine along with the masses filling it.
Correction of nutrition during constipation
If the dog does not have any special symptoms requiring medical attention, the owner can help the pet by changing its diet:
- The following products are excluded from the diet: rice, legumes, meat broths, corn, meat with muscle tissue (muscular), cheeses, yesterday's sour-milk products, cheeses.
- Food is given in small fractions, in small portions, preferably it is liquid and warm.
- In the dog menu it is recommended to include:
- boiled buckwheat, boiled on water or milk;
- vegetable stew;
- a small amount of boiled sea fish, thoroughly cleaned from bones, preference should be given to fish with white meat;
- freshly prepared yogurt, yogurt without additives;
- raw vegetables - carrots and beets;
- fresh plums (in case the pet has no allergic reaction and no more than two pieces).
While the dog is sick, you can feed it with ready-made canned food, designed for puppies or dogs with chronic diseases. Typically, these foods have increased digestibility.
Home remedies for constipation
Owners of pets can independently cope with constipation in dogs, if it is caused only by malnutrition.
The following products help in fixing it:
- yogurt (given instead of breakfast);
- juice of fresh cabbage (with it it is necessary to be more accurate, as it often causes increased gas formation);
- decoction of buckthorn;
- infusion of pumpkin seeds (2 tablespoons of seeds per glass of steep boiling water, insists about half an hour in warmth);
- a mixture of crushed flax seeds with vegetable oil or finished flax oil.
It is strictly forbidden to give the pet everything at once, you should choose only one specific option.
At home, you can do cleansing enemas with petroleum jelly. Preheated to a warm state, the oil is gently and slowly introduced into the rectum of the dog. For a very large pet, one glass of oil is taken, for a dog weighing about 20 kg - 75-100 ml, for small breeds 1-2 table spoons will suffice.
If it does not pass, then the pet, most likely, intestinal obstruction and the procedure should be discontinued.
Enlarges are best done by placing the dog in the bathroom or basin, purely for hygienic reasons.
Before the enema, you can try oral administration of vaseline oil. It is heated to room temperature and injected into the dog's cheeks with a syringe that does not have a needle. Dogs of dwarf species for a single intake of enough one teaspoon, medium - one dining room, large - 2-3 tablespoons. You need to give twice a day, until a positive result is achieved.
Do not particularly worry for an overdose, since its excess leaves the body naturally. With constipation, it is recommended to increase the number of paddies up to 5 times a day and try to walk as much as possible. Movement has a fruitful effect on the activity of the intestine, forcing it to work. This regime should be observed for two or three days.
If the actions did not have the proper effect, the dog also has symptoms of the disease, then it is mandatory to seek medical help.
Preventive measures against constipation
Like any other ailment, it is better to prevent constipation than to treat them later. What must be done to prevent such a state? It is necessary to observe the following rules:
- Necessarily observance of a mode of feeding - the pet should receive food at the same time in the put quantity;
- should avoid the consumption of heavy products in large quantities, everything should be in moderation;
- Do not treat the dog with bones every day, they should be a rare treat in the diet (it is the bones that most often cause intestinal blockage);
- to exclude from the diet products that cause increased gas formation - legumes, apples, cabbage, including Brussels and broccoli, oats, starches - potato and corn;
- To provide the pet with round-the-clock access to water, and it should always be fresh;
- periodically enrich the pet nutrition with vitamin-mineral top dressing ;
- try to walk a pet more often, and not less than 20 minutes;
- to refuse from the walking of a newly eaten dog, from the moment of feeding it must pass a minimum of 30 minutes;
- do not forget about regular intake of anthelmintic drugs and preventive inoculation.
In most cases, if we are not talking about hereditary and congenital ailments, the health of the pet depends on the care and care of the owner. The more attention is paid to the development and well-being of the dog, the healthier the dog, the more long it will have life. And if there was a constipation, then the caring owner knows how to save a four-legged friend from this trouble.