Almost every third family has a four-legged barking pet, and in some, not one. However, adult dog owners rarely ask themselves about the anatomical features of their pet. But children often wonder why a dog needs a tail, big ears, hair? Why one dog is cut off by the tail, while in others it remains untouched. So why do you need this part of the body for dogs?
Any researcher will agree that everything that is created on Earth has a definite meaning, and there is no need to talk about excess. And even a tiny part of the body is of great importance to its owner, the same can be said about the dog's tail. It is very important for the animal and performs a number of functions.
Almost all the time the tail is in a mobile state. He is a clear indicator of the mood of the dog, it can be determined by what the dog is going to do in the near future. Almost all people know that if the dog wags its tail, then it is positively and very happy, and if the tail is located between the hind limbs, the pet is scared or very ashamed.
But this is by no means all the "tailed" gestures that the animal uses in communicating with people, its relatives and other animals, and they are not always treated unequivocally. Wagging the tail can be a sign of aggression, and a dog whose tail is in a calm state can be more friendly than it may seem at first glance. The alphabet of the "caudate" language speaks of the following:
- In a relaxed animal, the tail is located naturally - the position depends on the breed - it lies on the back of the Pug, Labrador hanging downwards, forming a ring in the Laika.
- Careful wagging from side to side, a sort of waving - speaks about the joyful mood of the dog.
- Intensive waving, and even accelerated movement around its axis, in the manner of the propeller - it's unrestrained joy and happiness, the pet is immensely happy that his master returned.
- The tail that is dropped or caught between the hind legs is a sign that the dog is nervous or submissive. In the same mood, the dog can try to quickly wake them. But this does not apply to the dogs of the Laurentian breed - they have a similar tail position.
- The tail is tightly pressed to the stomach - the animal is very frightened or tries to demonstrate exceptional subordination.
- Highly raised tail, which stands exactly and rigidly, resembling a pipe - something alerted the dog.
- The tail is raised high, and its end is swinging from side to side - usually with this position the dog stands in one place, showing aggression, threatens people or other animals. From the outside, it may seem that the dog is happy, but all the other movements indicate otherwise.
- Vertically raised tail, which seems to tremble - the dog is ready to fight or to attack.
- The dog bears something in the teeth and at the same time the tail is lifted slightly over the body - this pose indicates that the animal is self-confident and will not give up its prey for nothing.
Looking at the dog that moves, it is noticeable that the tail is active in this process. It helps the animal to balance, when the dog walks through logs or uneven surfaces. Also, thanks to the tail, dogs can dramatically change their trajectories, especially for dogs that develop huge speeds - greyhounds, hounds.
In addition, the tail helps the dogs to swim, because it's not for nothing that all water rocks - Labradors, Newfoundlands, Irish water spaniels, Portuguese water dogs and others, have a fairly long and thick tail. It helps the dog to swim for long distances, dive and swim to the surface.
Read also: how dogs see the world .
Tail - flavor
Not all dog owners know about paranal glands located in the base of the tail. They make a special secretory fluid, which has an individual flavor. When the dog feels self-confidence, she actively wag his tail, spreading her own smell, alerting the whole district about her presence.
In addition, the secret is an informational medium and can tell a lot about its owner. He attracts the opposite sex and warns rivals. And if the dog is not so confident in himself and does not want to attract everyone's attention, he tries to press his tail to his stomach, closing the paranal glands.
Tail - decoration
In some breeds, the tail is an elegant addition to the image. With long hair - in Bolonok, Pekingese, ringlets of Laika, dense in German Shepherds - this is not the whole list of situations when the tail is a real decoration.
Not without reason in the standard one of the points is devoted to this part of the body. At the German Shepherd, it should be as long as possible, for Labradors - in short, Japanese hin and Pekinese are straight and lie on their backs, the French bulldogs twist funny.
Each breed has its own requirements, and for some it is a cupping. Yes, today this procedure is ambiguous, but dogs of some breeds really look more impressive without this, though important, detail. Fortunately, modern owners have the right to solve this issue in one way or another.
The dog's tail is a fan, a mood indicator, a steering wheel and a fin. An important organ that should not be underestimated. It's not known whether dogs themselves are proud of having a chic tail, but the owners are proud - and that's for sure!