The breed, which was not recognized by the International Cynological Organization, but received the highest rating from breeders and owners - South African burbul. Until now, disputes over these dogs have not subsided, for some they are half-breeds, tailless mastiffs, for others - real kings in the canine world. Why are the dogs in this position and what is remarkable?
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Как выглядит южноафриканский бурбуль 2. What does the South African Boerboel look like?
- Нрав бурбулей 3. Temper burbuley
- Как ухаживать за питомцем 4. How to care for a pet
- Особенности воспитания и дрессировки 5. Features of education and training
- Фото бурбулей 6. Photo burbuley
- Видео о бурбуле и ребенке 7. Video about burbul and child
- Стоимость щенков южноафриканского бурбуля 8. The cost of puppies South African burbulya
Close relatives of burbuley are mastiffs , besides, the breed is an African line of molossi. But there is no reason to call these dogs mestizos, as the South African burbuli belong to a full breed with a long, interesting history.
Researchers assume that the ancestors of these dogs are not from Africa, but from Asia. Later they came to the territory of ancient Egypt, from where, thanks to Alexander the Great, dogs penetrated into European countries. Here their further history is lost, however, it is believed that dogs are the founders of almost all European breeds.
But there is another theory: dogs from Europe penetrated the African continent and mixed up with local dogs. But in any case, there is no doubt that the breed was formed by natural selection. Their external and characteristic qualities over time practically did not change. This origin has contributed to the fact that today the South African burbul is famous for excellent health, endurance and power.
In the 17th century, Burbuli was recreated from European breeds. For the residents of the Cape of Good Hope, they became reliable assistants in farms. They turned out to be excellent defenders, guards and hunters. In the 20th century, the need for such qualities of dogs decreased, and the number of the breed decreased significantly.
The next revival of the breed dates back to the 80s of the 20th century, and it happened on the territory of Africa and was a success. South African burbuley and to this day can be found in different parts of the world. Including they received recognition in Russia.
What does the South African Boerboel look like?
The breed, though not recognized internationally, is supported by the South African Kennel Club. It was here that the standard of its representatives was defined.
In dogs, a gender difference is clearly seen - in bitches more compact, graceful constitution, they better go to contact. Although females look no less threatening than males. Indicators of body weight and size are quite different and are estimated only in the complex, an important condition is compliance with the proportions of height and weight.
Body weight varies from 60 to 90 kg, the minimum height of males is 60 cm (preferably 66 cm), bitches - 55 cm (preferably 61 cm).
From the general description, we can distinguish the fact that burbuli are large dogs with developed muscular corset and strong bones:
- The head of the dog is proportional to the body, when viewed in profile, its shape is rectangular, the top and full face square. The frontal bone of dogs is wide, in the middle there is a shallow groove. In the area of the nose, the skin folds, which are more pronounced in moments of concentration of the animal. Even on the dog's face there is a muscular relief. The muzzle is wide, but narrows towards the end of the nose. The lips are dry, fleshy, the upper closes the lower, but does not reach the chin. Dogs have bryl, but not much hanging down, their excessive formation is attributed to the shortcomings of the breed.
- The jaws of the dogs are powerful, strong, with a strong grip. The teeth are fully staffed, large. As a rule, a scissor bite, but a slight snack is allowed - straight or bulldog. The nose and lower jaw should be strictly aligned. Nose is large, has the correct shape and wide open nostrils.
- Eyes should be brown, preferably darker shades. They are round, widely spaced, tight eyelids, with black pigmentation.
- The ears are triangular in shape, small in size, have a high landing and are rather wide apart when the dog is calm - hang down and not too close to the muzzle. If the dog is alert or interested, they rise a little in the base area.
- The body of the Boerboel is powerful, strong, its back is even without bends, its shoulders are wide. The withers stand out a little, there is a smooth transition to the neck. Wrinkles are possible in this area.
- The chest of the dogs is very wide, with pronounced musculature. Limbs - and rear and front, smooth, large joints. Pets with straight knees or hocks do not fit the requirements of the standard.
- The paws are large, with collected pads, covered with thick dark skin. The tail has a high setting and natural bend. It is dense, thick, along the length reaches the hock joints, it is stopped in the region of 3 and 4 vertebrae.
- The coat of burbuley is short, tight to the body, the guard hair is soft and elastic. The skin of the nose, palate, lips, groin has an extremely black pigmentation. Black paw pads and claws.
The mask may be present in dogs of any color and does not apply to the disadvantages or advantages of the representative of the breed. Coat color is standard for mastiffs, there are tiger, red, fawn burbuli. Also, the standard allows dogs with white spots in the chest and paws, but with the proviso that they are not recommended for breeding.
The appearance of the dogs of this breed is quite aggressive and belligerent, but does the character correspond to this type? In a sense, yes. Considering their origin, one can understand why these dogs have a highly developed tendency to dominate. The genes of farm dogs are firmly entrenched in the genes — to subdue the inhabitants of the farm and guard against any danger. And at that time not only a fox could encroach on a chicken coop, but also a lion to wander after the exotic inhabitants of the farmstead - deer, antelope.
Such living conditions led to the fact that the dogs had to grow up early. As early as 3-4 months, the puppies had the discretion and ability to make their own decisions, otherwise it was extremely difficult for them to survive. Therefore, if the crumb begins to protect the owner, you should not be surprised. It is important for him to find out as early as possible who is “his own”, to familiarize himself with the territory, this will allow him to set priorities and continue to grow with an adequate dog.
Boerboel has a positive attitude towards younger members of the family, but others' children can sometimes be perceived as small predators. Seriously, he will not attack, but he can scare at least, push aside a maximum and thereby cause minor injuries. Therefore, it is important to acquaint the dog with strangers before they invade the territory.
Boerboel is able to protect his family, in the literal sense, not for life, but for death. In this case, the decision he takes on their own, and no team will not work. Knowing that he will die, the dog will surely try to take the offender with him.
How to care for a pet
The coat of purebred dogs does not require special care. It is enough to periodically comb out a pet with a special massage brush or rubber glove. Such actions will improve the skin blood flow, relieve the animal from dead epidermis cells and hairs. During periods, the link is worth doing a little more often.
Representatives of this breed are prone to hypothermia, so do not bathe them often. If it is possible, it is better to avoid bath procedures in the winter, and to remove impurities with a cloth or use dry shampoos . It is permissible to wipe the pet with clean snow. Boerboel just two bathing per year, be sure to avoid drafts and walking to dry completely.
Ears for dogs of similar breeds should be cleaned 1-2 times a month using a cotton swab. But they should be inspected regularly, especially after walks in the forest zone. Healthy ears are smooth from the inside, light gray in color, no odor. Any discharge with an unpleasant odor is a reason to consult a veterinarian.
The eyes of a healthy dog are clear, without tears and discharge. To prevent the development of infections, it is necessary to wipe them every 3-4 days with a swab soaked in chamomile decoction. The owner should be alarmed by the reddening of proteins, the abundant flow of tears, and the increased blinking - these are the primary signs of eye ailments.
Boerbools are best suited for keeping in an aviary with the obligatory presence of a warmed booth. This is due to their love of large spaces, but the territory should be limited. However, in the apartment the dog feels good only if it is provided with the necessary physical activities. At home, he behaves perfectly, because he likes to sleep and can do it most of the day.
The pet requires double walking, each must be at least 40 minutes long. It is advisable to walk at a brisk pace, if possible run and play with your pet.
Read more about feeding boerboel:
Features of education and training
The enemy of the upbringing of the Boerboel is an atmosphere of permissiveness, the dog can grow up willful and impudent. To avoid this, it requires a firm hand and a strong character of the owner. All attempts at dominance should be stopped immediately, as well as manifestations of excessive self-confidence.
Requires stiffness, but not cruelty. The pet must learn a few prohibitions:
- under no circumstances should you bite the host, even while playing;
- pull the leash is strictly prohibited;
- it is not necessary to rise, leaning on people by paws, as dogs are rather heavy;
- pick up trash from the floor is prohibited, it is especially important for the Boerboel, since they have a tendency to "gathering";
- any conflicts with their own kind are stopped right away, as dogs of this breed like to lead and are able to prove this not in the most humane ways; more often this quality is manifested in males.
It is necessary to teach the dog to obedience as early as possible, to acquaint with the basic prohibitions and to teach the main commands. All this dog can learn by the 4th month, as it was already noted their early maturation.
Video about burbul and child
Cost of South African Boerboel puppies
It is possible to buy a pet from hands without documents and for 5000, only now experts do not recommend buying a puppy of such a serious breed where there is no normal selection. The average cost of a purebred puppy from the nursery is 40000-50000 rubles.
The South African Boerboel is a dedicated dog that allows owners not to lock the door even for the night. But they need attention, care and excellent training.
Burbuley cattery in Moscow: http://www.boerboels.ru
Kennel in St. Petersburg: http://boerboel-star.ru/mydogs/myboels
Kennel in Ukraine: http://boerboels.com.ua