Dogs are the most intelligent, loyal and obedient pets that faithfully serve a person. But, unfortunately, not all of them are picky in food, which negatively affects health. In addition, often the owners themselves do not provide the right food for their pets and do not particularly watch what gets to them in the mouth. As a result, animals suffer from diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, and often they are diagnosed with stomach ulcers in dogs. What is this disease, and why is it dangerous for a four-footed friend?
- Причины развития язвенной болезни 1. Causes of development of peptic ulcer
- Симптомы язвы желудка 2. Symptoms of a stomach ulcer
- Лечение язвы желудка 3. Treatment of gastric ulcers
- Диетическое питание 4. Dietary food
- Язва желудка с кровотечением 5. Gastric ulcer with bleeding
- Язва желудка и стеноз привратника 6. Gastric ulcer and stenosis of the pylorus
- Язва желудка и заболевания печени 7. Gastric ulcer and liver disease
- Язва желудка и энтероколит 8. Stomach ulcer and enterocolitis
- Язва желудка и сахарный диабет 9. Gastric ulcer and diabetes mellitus
- Профилактика заболевания 10. Preventive maintenance of disease
Causes of ulcer disease
The ulcer is an erosive site of the mucous surface of the stomach, arising from the interaction of tissues with pepsin and hydrochloric acid. Therefore, pathology is often called peptic. In acute lesions, the mucosa is covered with multiple erosions, in chronic cases they are focal, penetrating deep into tissues, the edges of the ulcers are raised.
Ulcerative disease often occurs against the backdrop of an inflammatory process that has arisen in the stomach. Without timely, competent treatment, due to non-compliance with the therapeutic regimen, the course of gastritis can be significantly complicated.
The provoking factors leading to the appearance of ulcers are the following violations in the diet of the dog:
- feeding the pet with scraps from his own table; The most harmful for him are spicy, pickled, salted foods;
- hot or, conversely, excessively cold dishes, drinking;
- absence of a mode of reception of food - more often it occurs, when the dog year-round protects a summer small house.
In addition, an ulcer in the stomach may appear, and then become aggravated when the animal often experiences stress. Dogs are quite sensitive, their attachment to the owner and family often causes serious violations in the body. Nervous tension can be caused by the following changes:
- change of the owner;
- using unusual training techniques;
- the passage of medical procedures;
- change of residence;
- excessive physical exertion.
Inadequate drug therapy, prescribed by an inexperienced veterinarian or carried out by the owner, can also cause ulceration of the gastric walls. Risks increase in the following case:
- when using steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs;
- while taking medications in undiluted form with dry food pellets.
In addition to inflammation of the stomach - gastritis, peptic ulcer can develop due to the presence of a number of such pathologies:
- malignant tumoral formations - lymphosarcomas, adenocarcinomas, etc .;
- hepatic ailments;
- uremia - acute or chronic autointoxication;
- thrombohemorrhagic syndrome.
The most common aggravation of peptic ulcer occurs in old dogs, the indices are also higher during the off-season.
Symptoms of a stomach ulcer
Specialists distinguish two forms of the pathological process - acute and chronic. In the first case, the disease appears almost immediately, accompanied by pronounced symptoms. If the ulcer does not cause perforation of the walls of the stomach, then its rapid involution occurs.
Chronic disease develops slowly, gradually, with ulcer defects for a long time do not heal, their edges begin to become denser.
Stomach ulcer in dogs has the following symptoms:
- Attacks of vomiting . Emetic masses are dark, in some cases with an admixture of blood. Attacks are most often multiple, they bring only temporary relief to the animal. During vomiting, the dog begins to worry, fuss, there is a multiple reduction of muscle tissue of the peritoneum. Even after the "eruption" of the contents of the stomach, the animal's condition does not stabilize - the dog continues to flex, paws, muscles pulsate. With frequent vomiting, the risks of dehydration and the appearance of achloremia are significantly increased. In this case, the skin disappears elasticity. Vomiting can signal gastrointestinal bleeding.
- The dog becomes lethargic, apathetic . The disease can turn even the most active pet into a sedentary dog, who does not regret to participate in the most favorite pastimes. Periodically you can hear a pet moaning.
- Diarrhea . Constant diarrhea develops, feces have a certain similarity with tar. The liquid consistency of feces is associated with a high content of hematin.
- Anemia . It is accompanied by a complex of symptoms: refusal to eat or a decrease in appetite, strong thirst, shortness of breath, feverish condition. It is possible to increase the secretion of urine.
Ulcer disease is a rather dangerous pathology, since at the initial stage it may not have obvious signs. The diseased animal can behave for months, as usual, and at a late stage of development, its health deteriorates sharply.
In addition, the ulcer can be accompanied by serious complications - peritonitis, gastrointestinal bleeding, in which case the therapy often does not give a positive result, and the dog dies.
Treatment of gastric ulcer
Treatment of peptic ulcer is directed, first of all, to fighting the root cause of pathology. It is also important with the help of therapy to suppress the secretory function of the stomach, thereby lowering the amount of stomach acid, and to eliminate bleeding. In the treatment of ulcerative pathology included such activities:
- To reduce the production of hydrochloric acid, the veterinarian can prescribe the following drugs: cimetidine, ranitidine, omeprazole. These drugs protect the walls of the affected organ from the corrosive effects of gastric juice and increase the regeneration of tissues in the area of ulceration.
- Intravenous infusion (dropper) is an effective technique for restoring the water-electrolyte balance. In addition, with severe anemia, blood transfusion may be required.
- The use of antiemetic drugs - they are prescribed with caution, more often preference is given to metoclopramide, Chlorpromazine.
- Means with antacid and adsorbing action (Sukralfat, Venter, Sukrat) - protect and soothe the irritated surface of the stomach, and also bind and remove toxic components.
- Antibiotic therapy - is carried out if the patient has a bacterial infection (often as an infectious agent of gastrointestinal diseases is heliobacter pylori).
- Endoscopic intervention - appointed if it requires removal of a foreign object, tumor formation or stop bleeding.
- Elimination of nervous tension - if peptic ulcer is caused by severe stress, then an animal with a sensitive nervous system is given pheromones and remedies with a soothing effect.
Treatment of a stomach ulcer requires a compulsory visit to a veterinarian. Only a specialist will be able to prescribe suitable therapy and determine the optimal scheme for taking medicines.
Ulcerous disease disrupts the secretory and motor-evacuation function of the organ. Often, the stomach glands begin to intensively produce gastric juice, and its acidity is significantly increased. This pathological condition negatively affects the processes of assimilation of food and requires mandatory correction of nutrition.
What to feed the dog, suffering this pathological violation? There are a number of principles that should be followed:
- food should be full, provide the needs of the body;
- Do not give the dog a cold or hot food;
- it is important to adhere to the established regime - the number of feedings should be increased to 5-6 per day (this will allow normalizing gastric functions, biliary excretion, prevent difficult bowel movements);
- if the disease is accompanied by severe neurologic-vegetative disorders, then the consumption of easily assimilated carbohydrates should be limited, reducing by 25%;
- if the pathology is dominated by neuro-trophic disorders, the nutritional value of the diet should be increased by 20%, in contrast to the usual rate.
Naturally, nutrition is affected by the accompanying pathological conditions and the degree of progression of peptic ulcer. In all cases, diet No. 1 is prescribed with some additional restrictions.
Gastric ulcer with bleeding
When gastrointestinal bleeding is recommended, the pet should not be fed for 1-3 days, if necessary, parenteral nutrition is prescribed. Then give the food in a liquid and semi-liquid form, in small portions every 2-3 hours. In the diet of the pet you can include mucous soup, porridge, milk, jelly, broth from the hips.
Products in the menu are introduced gradually - one per day. A favorite can be treated with a steam omelet, low-fat broth from meat, fish, liquid semolina with a small amount of butter, puree from boiled or steam vegetables.
After the dog is recommended to feed according to the treatment table number 1: in the diet is necessarily present meat, cottage cheese, egg whites. Then food is introduced into the diet, which improves blood formation.
Gastric ulcer and stenosis of the pylorus
If the dog is diagnosed with a stomach ulcer complicated by constriction of the gatekeeper, the amount of carbohydrate products decreases by 15-20%, while the protein and fat increase slightly.
When you can reduce the exacerbation and save the pet from unpleasant symptoms, the number of feedings is reduced to 3-4 per day.
Gastric ulcer and liver disease
With concomitant violations of the functionality of the liver and bile ducts, 10% of animal fat is removed from the diet, which will reduce the amount of cholesterol consumed. At the same time, one third of all fats included in the dog's diet should be vegetable oil, and with stagnation of bile, the amount increases to 40%.
The oil is served by vegetables, cereals and other dishes. Be sure to give the dog a low-fat cottage cheese and egg whites in the form of omelets.
Gastric ulcer and enterocolitis
In this case, the dog suffers diarrhea, so she should not give milk. The amount of carbohydrate food is reduced by 15%.
Gastric ulcer and diabetes mellitus
The dog is also fed, adhering to the therapeutic diet number 1, but the menu removes all foods high in sugar.
Prevention of disease
Good care and adequate nutrition - that's what a four-footed friend needs to minimize the likelihood of developing gastric ulcer. The following tips will help to protect the pet from an unpleasant and dangerous disease:
- should, if possible, exclude stressful situations, for example, if the dog is hard to endure travel, then it is necessary to take care of his temporary place of residence and, on the contrary - it is better to take a dog that is very bored with him;
- it is important to follow - what and where the pet eats;
- in chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, it is important to maintain a constant diet;
- a dog should receive a full meal - you can not treat her from the table or feed waste;
- any illness of the gastrointestinal tract should be treated in a timely manner, it is impossible to tolerate the development of complications;
- with anxiety symptoms it is recommended not to engage in self-medication, but to deliver the pet to the veterinary clinic.
Adhering to these simple rules, you can easily avoid serious conditions that can lead to death. Purchasing a puppy, it should be remembered that this is a huge responsibility, and to a greater extent, the health of the pet depends on the care of the owner.