In dogs, the coat is the first indicator of her health, along with a wet cold nose, good appetite and high activity. And of course, when the hair falls in the dog, inexperienced pet owners may panic. What can this symptom speak about and, most importantly, what to do in this situation?
- Связь между состоянием шерсти и здоровьем 1. Relationship between wool and health
- Почему выпадает шерсть у собаки 2. Why does the dog's hair fall out?
- Выпадение шерсти, не связанное со здоровьем и уходом 3. Hair loss, not related to health and care
- Профилактические меры от выпадения шерсти 4. Prophylactic measures against hair loss
The relationship between wool and health
If the house has a dog, then part of the cares is to care for her hair. This not only provides an aesthetic and beautiful appearance of the pet, but also allows us to identify in time signs of excessive hair loss. This phenomenon is a reason for visiting a veterinarian.
In a healthy dog receiving appropriate care , the hair falls out twice a year - in autumn and spring, due to seasonal moulting. In other cases, the loss of the coat is a signal that the pet has a health problem.
Experts do not recommend during the natural change of wool intensively to feed the pet with vitamins and plenty of healthy food, trying to prevent molting. Such zeal can cause even greater problems, so everything is worth knowing.
Also do not advise without consulting a specialist to use the means that stimulate the growth of the coat, since if there is no special need for them, the dog's organism will receive an "overdose" of the substances. In addition, if a pet has serious problems in the body, such therapy will only distract from the search for a real cause of hair loss. Even with the normalization of hair growth, the cause of its loss can remain in the body.
Most often, hair loss is not the only symptom and is accompanied by lethargy, inactivity and hyperemia (reddening) of the skin. In addition, you need to pay attention to the skin condition.
If we talk about internal violations, then this may be a failure in the functional activity of the immune system, metabolic processes, lack of trace elements and vitamins, etc.
Why does the dog's hair fall out?
If the seasonal molt becomes protracted, the pet turns into a sluggish, constantly sleeping and little running animal. In this case, it is worth to consult a specialist for advice. Among the most common factors leading to the loss of dog hair, note the following:
- Incorrect food. Among others, this reason is most often encountered. Quite often the owners of the pet are not aware of its needs in the diet. For example, it is believed that dry food contains everything necessary for the dog's body and no additional elements are required. However, and with such nutrition to the animal, especially during the period of its active growth, bearing of the offspring, after the transferred diseases, it is necessary to add vitamin preparations and useful products. And while it is extremely important to maintain a balance so that the dog's organism is not oversaturated with them. Veterinarians especially recommend adding a small amount of olive oil to your pet, since the unsaturated fatty acids contained in it help improve the structure of the coat.
- Parasitizing organisms. Dogs throughout life are vulnerable to infection by various parasites. Lice, fleas , scabies and not only all of them negatively affect the health of the pet, including the condition of the coat. If the dog is constantly itchy, tearing off the scraps of wool at the same time, skins appear on the skin, coalesced stitches, then, most likely, the reason is this. Most parasites can be seen with the naked eye, but sometimes only a specialist will be able to identify the culprit of hair loss. For treatment special means are used - drops, shampoos , liquids, sprays. Veterinarians recommend, especially in the warm season of the year, to wear a pet collar from fleas. Also, there may be withers in a dog in wool .
- Ringworm. This pathology of an infectious nature is considered quite dangerous. Among the main symptoms noted the formation of fungi, hyperemia and broken off the ends of the hair, the accumulations of which form bald areas. In this case, only correctly conducted therapy with antibiotics , a competent rehabilitation period and good care will help. All this will contribute to the restoration of the coat. Doctors warn that people can get infected with ringworm . Therefore, at the slightest manifestations it is recommended to consult a vet.
- Allergic manifestations. Not only is a person susceptible to allergies , but also our smaller brothers. And because of this they can lose their hair. Dry food, medicine, hormonal contraceptives, detergents can provoke this condition. Dogs with allergies often itch, trying to gnaw the wool, often enough while rending the skin to the blood.
- Violation of the immune system. Weakened immunity can occur for various reasons - after severe illnesses, for example, plague dogs, viral diseases, when infected with helminthic infestations. Eliminating the root cause, you can do restoration of the immune system (how to do this, the veterinarian will prompt) and the wool cover will eventually get a healthy look and former density.
- The dog provokes hair loss. Excessive cleanliness can also cause hair loss. If the pet always long and carefully licks the wool and bites the dirt, then the areas treated in such a way can often turn red, become irritated, or even fail to turn out to be wool. Such behavior can speak of neurological disorders and in this case, sedatives and special protective devices are prescribed.
- Wrong care of the coat. This includes the following errors:
- Do not use detergents and shampoos that are not designed to care for dogs;
- It is not recommended to comb the pet more often than is required by the peculiarities of caring for this breed;
- Express methods for imparting a perfect coat to a coat in a short time can cause significant harm;
- frequent washing can worsen the condition of the coat, since the skin's balance is often disturbed.
- Failures of hormonal character. The main cause of this condition is the regular intake of hormonal contraceptives. In addition, veterinarians say that among the consequences of hormonal imbalance, hair loss is the least significant in terms of severity.
Hair loss, not related to health and care
Dogs are very emotional creatures and one can not dismiss the fact that the psychological state of the animal can affect the appearance of the coat. Strong hair loss can be due to stressful situations - surgical interventions, injuries, loss of the owner, addiction to the new home. Yes, there are few reasons for frustration pet?
Often, representatives of rocks more suitable for living in an aviary or on the street and having a dense undercoat, there is an all-season molt if they live in apartments. This may also affect other breeds, but to a lesser extent.
In addition, dogs designed for the street, in most cases, abundantly shed in the spring, at this time they can often itch, as molting causes itching.
Needless to say, a pet's loss of wool causes certain inconvenience to the owners, especially if it is a matter of keeping the dog in the apartment. Can you help at this time the dog and get rid of the wool in the house?
Preventive measures against hair loss
First of all, the owner should be able to distinguish seasonal moult from hair loss associated with diseases. If in the first case it is enough to comb out the dog periodically, then in the second one you can not do without a professional examination.
Do not try to independently treat yourself, but it's better to pass the tests and identify the exact cause of the phenomenon.
If the cause is in an unstable hormonal background, then special hormone therapy is prescribed. If the hair leaves the pet as a result of malnutrition, then again the veterinarian will help to correct it. Having made a full menu and appointing, if necessary, vitamin supplements, the doctor will help bring back the beloved shiny and beautiful coat.