In dogs, the coat is the first indicator of its health, along with a wet cold nose, good appetite and high activity. And of course, when a dog's hair falls out, inexperienced pet owners may panic. What can this symptom talk about and, most importantly, what to do in such a situation?
- Связь между состоянием шерсти и здоровьем 1. The relationship between wool and health
- Почему выпадает шерсть у собаки 2. Why does the dog lose hair
- Выпадение шерсти, не связанное со здоровьем и уходом 3. Hair loss not related to health and care
- Профилактические меры от выпадения шерсти 4. Preventive measures against hair loss
The relationship between wool and health
If there is a dog in the house, then part of the care is to take care of her hair. This not only provides an aesthetic and beautiful appearance of the pet, but also allows you to timely identify signs of excessive hair loss. This phenomenon is an occasion to visit a veterinarian.
In a healthy dog receiving appropriate care , hair falls out twice a year - in autumn and spring, due to seasonal molting. In other cases, the loss of coat is a signal that the pet has a health problem.
Experts do not recommend to feed the pet with vitamins and a lot of healthy food during a natural change of coat, trying to prevent molting. Such diligence can cause even greater problems, so you should know the measure in everything.
Also, it is not advisable, without consulting a specialist, to use agents that stimulate the growth of hair, because if they are not particularly needed, the dog’s body will receive an “overdose” of substances. In addition, if the pet has serious problems in the body, such therapy will only distract from the search for the real cause of hair loss. Even with normalization of hair growth, the cause of hair loss may remain in the body.
Most often, hair loss is not the only symptom and is accompanied by lethargy, inactivity and hyperemia (redness) of the skin. In addition, you must pay attention to the condition of the skin.
If we talk about internal disorders, then this may be a malfunction in the functional activity of the immune system, metabolic processes, a lack of trace elements and vitamins, etc.
Why does a dog drop hair
If seasonal molting becomes lingering, the pet turns into a lethargic, constantly sleeping, and little running animal on a walk. In this case, it is worth contacting a specialist for advice. Among the most common factors leading to dog hair loss are the following:
- Improper nutrition. Among others, this reason is most common. Quite often, pet owners are not aware of their dietary needs. For example, it is believed that dry food contains everything that is necessary for the dog’s body and additional elements are not required. However, even with such nutrition, the animal, especially during its active growth, bearing offspring, and after illnesses, need to add vitamin preparations and useful products to food. And at the same time it is extremely important to maintain balance so that the dog’s body is not oversaturated with them. Veterinarians especially recommend adding a small amount of olive oil to your pet's food, as the unsaturated fatty acids contained in it contribute to improving the structure of the coat.
- Parasitic organisms. Dogs are at risk from various parasites throughout their lives. Lice, fleas , scabies mites and more, they all negatively affect the health of the pet, including the condition of the coat. If the dog constantly itches, while tearing shreds of hair, bald patches, sticky tangles appear on the skin in places, then this is most likely the reason. Most parasites can be seen with the naked eye, but sometimes only a specialist can identify the culprit of hair loss. For treatment, special means are used - drops, shampoos , liquids, sprays. Veterinarians recommend, especially in the warm season, to wear a flea collar on your pet. There may also be lice eaters in the dog's coat .
- Ringworm. This pathology of an infectious nature is considered quite dangerous. Among the main symptoms, the formation of fungi, hyperemia and broken off ends of the hair, the accumulations of which form bald patches, are noted. In this case, only correctly conducted antibiotic therapy , a competent rehabilitation period and good care will help. All this will contribute to the restoration of the coat. Doctors warn that a person can become infected with ringworm . Therefore, at the slightest manifestation, it is recommended to consult a veterinarian.
- Allergic manifestations. Not only is a person prone to allergies , but also our smaller brothers. And because of this, they can lose their hair. Dry food, medicines, hormonal contraceptives, detergents can trigger this condition. Dogs with allergies often itch, trying to gnaw wool, often enough while tearing the skin to blood.
- Immune system impairment. Weakening of the immune system can occur for various reasons - after serious illnesses, for example, dog plague, viral ailments, and infection with helminthic invasions. Eliminating the root cause, you can begin to restore the immune system (the veterinarian will tell you how to do this) and the coat will acquire a healthy appearance and former density over time.
- The dog itself provokes hair loss. Excessive cleanliness can also cause hair loss. If a pet licks its hair for a long time and carefully and bites off the dirt, then the areas that are most often treated in this way can turn red, become irritated, or even be completely without wool. Such behavior may indicate neurological disorders, and in this case, sedatives and special protective devices are prescribed.
- Improper hair care. These include the following errors:
- Do not use detergents and shampoos that are not intended for the care of dogs;
- it is not recommended to comb the pet more often than the features of care for this breed require;
- express methods to give the coat an ideal look in a short time can cause significant harm;
- Frequent washing can worsen the condition of the coat, as skin balance is often disturbed.
- Malfunctions of a hormonal nature. The main reason for this condition is the regular intake of hormonal contraceptives. In addition, veterinarians note that among the consequences of hormonal imbalance, hair loss is the most insignificant in severity.
Hair loss not related to health and care
Dogs are very emotional creatures and the fact that the psychological state of the animal can affect the appearance of the coat cannot be discarded. Severe hair loss can be due to stressful situations - previous surgical interventions, injuries, loss of the owner, getting used to a new home. But are there many reasons for a pet's upset?
Often, representatives of breeds that are more suitable for living in an aviary or on the street and have a dense undercoat show all-weather molting if they live in apartments. Other breeds may suffer the same, but to a lesser extent.
In addition, dogs intended for the street, in most cases, molt abundantly in the spring, at which time they can very often scratch, as molting causes itching.
What can I say, the loss of pet hair causes certain inconvenience to the owners, especially when it comes to keeping a dog in the apartment. Is it possible to help a dog during this period and rid itself of hair in the house?
Preventive measures against hair loss
First of all, the owner must be able to distinguish seasonal molting from hair loss associated with diseases. If in the first case it is enough to comb the dog periodically, then in the second one you can not do without a professional examination.
You should not try to treat yourself, but it’s better to take tests and identify the exact cause of this phenomenon.
If the cause is an unstable hormonal background, then special hormone therapy is prescribed. If the hair leaves the pet as a result of malnutrition, then again the veterinarian will help to correct it. Having compiled a full menu and prescribed, if necessary, vitamin supplements, the doctor will help return the pet a shiny and beautiful coat.