If the dog is young and has no health problems, then a spontaneous abortion will most likely not take place. However, the current trend towards uncontrolled breeding of dogs led, unfortunately, to the spread of this pathological phenomenon. If there is a desire to tie your pet, but there is no experience in this matter, it is recommended to get recommendations from professional breeders or veterinarians who are able to give advice during the entire term of the offspring of the dog.
Causes of miscarriage in dogs
There are many reasons for spontaneous miscarriage, but the following are among the most common:
- Abnormal development of puppies . In dogs, puppies are not so often born with physical disabilities or genetic abnormalities. This phenomenon is observed due to the fact that the body is trying to reject pathological embryos as soon as possible. There are also cases when a partial fading of pregnancy occurs, then only those fruits that have deficiencies cease to develop, the rest grow and are born on time. In this case, the bitch needs regular monitoring of the fruit with an ultrasound scan.
- Pathological development of the uterus . The defect of the organ can be both congenital and acquired. In the first case, this happens even during the prenatal growth of the dog, in the second, injuries, infectious diseases, chronic diseases affecting the internal organs, etc. can serve. In case of serious pathologies of the uterus, the female is recommended to be sterilized .
- Diseases caused by infections . Infectious pathogens are the most common cause of abortion or the emergence of unviable litter. Therefore, experts to always recommend conducting a diagnostic study of future parents. Also important is timely pet vaccination .
- Parasitic insects and worms . According to statistics, worms, fleas or ticks are found in 70% of dogs. They affect the body with toxic substances that adversely affect the intrauterine development of the offspring. Before mating, it is necessary to blot the animal and treat it from ticks and fleas.
- Gain or excess weight . A dog that will soon become a mom should be in excellent physical shape. In an emaciated or, conversely, obese animal, miscarriages occur much more frequently. In most cases, a pregnant bitch has a great appetite throughout her pregnancy, so her refusal to eat is an alarming bell.
- Unsuccessful age for procreation . Often, a miscarriage occurs in dogs with too early or late matings. These figures are individual for each breed, but in any case you should not knit a bitch in the first chute.
- Injury of the animal or excessive exercise . The dog "in position" needs long runs, but they should be held at a quiet pace, without active games and training. You should also take care that the animal is not injured in everyday life.
- Acceptance of drugs . During gestation, the use of most drugs is contraindicated, but if their use is necessary, they should be taken only after consulting a veterinarian.
Symptoms of a miscarriage in a dog
Usually, the upcoming abortion is accompanied by a number of signs that can be recognized by observing the condition of the pet:
- bitch sluggish, quickly tired;
- eating poorly or completely from eating ;
- possible increase in body temperature ;
- vomiting seizures;
- if you suffer from pain in the abdomen, then the animal begins to arch their backs.
In some cases, the abnormal exudate is bloody, with pus, dark green or black, with a fetid odor. There are also cases where only a portion of the unviable fetuses comes out, while the rest remain in the uterus and continue to grow and develop.
Must know :
- how to teach a puppy to the toilet ;
- how to put a dog to sleep without pain ;
- Caesarean section in dogs .
What to do with a miscarriage of a dog
If we talk about first aid, then at the slightest signs of an abnormal course of pregnancy, the dog should be taken to a medical facility. This is the first thing that a dog owner should take care of. In clinical conditions, the future mom is examined, a series of tests are taken - biochemistry, thyroid hormone analysis, general urine and blood tests, and serological testing.
It is important to exclude physical activity when there is a threat of disruption. And if infectious pathogens are the cause of the indisposition, then the therapy includes antibiotics. The dog should be in the clinic even if the abortion has already taken place, because you need to find out if all the puppies are out, and if the placenta remains in the uterus. This is usually determined by radiography and ultrasound.
If an infection has entered the uterus, antibacterial agents and prostaglandins are prescribed. In the case when the owners are not going to continue to receive offspring from their dogs, the removal of the uterus and ovaries is recommended.
However, when it comes to the breeding dog, intended for further reproduction of offspring, it is important to establish what provoked the miscarriage. In this situation, a series of tests for bacteria and viruses, and a cytological examination of vaginal material.
Miscarriage in a dog is a severe pathology, but with the right approach, complications can be avoided.