German Shepherd - an amazing breed of dogs, whose representatives, originally shepherds, have turned into full-fledged universal dogs. They successfully cope with various official jobs, showed themselves well during the hostilities, from which they receive excellent guides, watchmen, guards, and companions. Raising a puppy of a German shepherd will not cause difficulties, and even a teenager can handle this task.
The "Germans" have well developed skills at the genetic level, and they have a balanced character. But do not think that without education and training, the pet will be able to turn into a working dog that performs commands and understands the host with a half-word. To get this result, the owner of the puppy will have to work hard and start better from the first days of the appearance of the pet in the house.
To the owner of a puppy of any breed, including a German shepherd, we must not forget that this is a baby, still a child, demanding more attention and patient treatment than his adult brethren. In no case should you show negative emotions, if the crumbs do not get something right away and expect quick results.
Dogs of this breed are great for dressing, but here it is worth considering some nuances. For example, a dog should be dealt with by one person who can become an animal for the animal, an authoritative person. Once the puppy has crossed the threshold of the house, the owner should immediately give him more attention in order to speed up the adaptation process.
To train a pet can be in the form of a game, without compulsion, applying for the encouragement of delicious food. It is worthwhile to draw up a schedule of classes, putting it in a special magazine, and making regular notes.
Specialists have long debunked the theory that to educate and train should have grown up a dog, and kids can be allowed any pranks, especially without limiting. In this case, the dog will grow up willful and disobedient, and his re-education will require a lot of time and effort on the part of the person and the pet. It is necessary to begin immediately, and it does not matter, 2 months for a dog or more.
1 to 2 months
Already at this age the kid is able to assimilate simple commands, and the earlier the training is begun, the more he will remember them. First of all, the puppy must be taught to respond to the nickname. Calling a pet is better during feeding or playing, always with invocation intonation, pronouncing the nickname clearly, without changing.
Puppy is taught to wear ammunition, including a muzzle. The collar is worn first for 10-15 minutes, gradually increasing the time. The baby is taught to cope with the need in one place until all the vaccinations are delivered to him, and he will not be able to go out into the street.
During the feeding of the puppy, you can iron, while saying "good". This makes it possible to develop a stable reflex. During training, it will be possible to encourage a dog without treats.
"Germans" tend to pick up debris and debris while walking - such "habits" should be eradicated from the first days, giving the dog a "fu!" Command. Sometimes this behavior is due to a lack of any vitamin or trace element. In such a situation, it will be necessary to revise the nutrition that the pet receives.
To disaccustom the puppy to grab everything from the ground, it is enough to pronounce the command using a strict intonation. If this does not help, you can knock the puppy on the muzzle weakly.
From 2 to 4 months
Usually, outdoor walks start at the age of 3 months. It is at this age that the baby begins to accustom to walking on the stairs. Once he learns to do this with the owner, he is offered to do it himself, without support.
In the same period, you can introduce a dog with a boom and a barrier, he must learn how to overcome them. Begin with small heights and a short boom, not forgetting to gradually increase them. It is important to encourage the puppy by giving goodies.
From 4 months to 6 months
The dog grows up, but at the same time the tasks and exercises become more complicated all the time. In addition, an alternation of commands is introduced. For example, to teach the dog to stay in place when the owner leaves. The person tells the dog to "sit", but leaves.
When the puppy makes attempts to approach him, the team repeats. Such an exercise requires regular testing, with a gradual complication of the task - the distance between the owner and the animal increases.
If in the future the dog is to serve, watchdog or security work, it is recommended to encourage the puppy when he barks on strangers. This brings up in animals an alert attitude towards strangers.
In no event should foreigners be treated to a dog. This develops the protective qualities of the "German", which he was awarded by nature. You can not let someone else play with the puppy, and when the guests come into the house, the dog should sit next to the owner.
Raising a grown-up pet
By the age of 6 months, the German Shepherd puppy already has large dimensions and a certain amount of knowledge, but one can not stop at what has been achieved. He is already capable of performing technically complex exercises, and the height of the barrier exceeds the growth of the animal.
The 6-month-old age in dogs is considered a teenage period, the pet will try to assert itself and may become disobedient. The master can not ignore this and succumb to provocation. Such manifestations usually continue until puberty.
By the age of 8 months, the dog shows protective qualities, the males can clearly show their leadership talents, which means that he will become an excellent leader.
Training a puppy of a German shepherd, like working with representatives of other breeds, requires consistency and organization. Best of all, the dog learns the team in a quiet place, familiar to him. At the initial stage, the duration of the lessons should not be more than a quarter of an hour.
Once the puppy has learned the command, one can proceed to the next task, and one should not forget about fixing the material already studied. The basic skills program includes the following commands:
- The voice . Puppy should show a delicious, you can give a sniff, but so that he could not snatch it. Usually the dog starts barking loudly, showing impatience. Once the puppy has started to do this, you need to give a command and give him a treat.
- To sit . This skill the kid can absorb already from 2-month's age. To do this, they call the doggie, say the command, while holding a piece of favorite delicacy just behind the animal's head. So that the dog can reach for the treat, he will have to sit down, but you can give it only when the team is 100% complete.
- To lie . This command is given to the pet only after it has mastered the previous exercise perfectly. In this case, the delicacy used is, as it were, offered to the dog, but at the same time the hand is lowered and the team is pronounced. When the dog lies down, he is held in this position and only then he receives a well-deserved reward.
- To walk . The simplest task that every raised dog should perform. During the exercise it is necessary to unfasten the pet from the leash, but before he starts running, give him a command.
- Nearby . A very useful skill that provides comfortable movement with your pet. Puppy should not be carried ahead of the owner or pull it in all directions. To ensure that he rushed along beside him, he was initially forced to do this, correcting his movements with a short leash. Later, a long lead is used, and when the skill is acquired - the dog learns to execute the command without ammunition.
- To me . A well trained dog must respond to the call of the host in all conditions and with various irritating factors. For this purpose, he develops a reflex based on positive emotions - during the puppy's walking period, periodically encouraged to encourage affection, a kind word or a treat. Such actions on the part of the owner involve pleasant memories with the team, and the dog eagerly reacts, having heard from the owner "to me!".
- Aport . Training for this team is associated with the puppy's interest in various fun and toys. The toy is thrown so that the dog sees these actions, and clearly, loudly pronounces "aport!" Once the darling has found and took it, it is necessary to give the command "to me!" If the puppy did everything correctly and went to the owner with the prey, her, and the dog in every way to encourage - verbally and delicacy.
All these commands are just the beginning of the training, its foundation, which allows gradually to increase the pace and increase the skill base. Dogs of all breeds are able to assimilate such a program. Some are faster, others are slow, but usually German shepherds do it in a short time. The "Germans" have a natural desire for learning and remarkable abilities, but the owner should constantly warm up interest and find a common language with his four-legged friend.
You can not disregard the pet, punish for trifles and hurry - this does not contribute to fruitful work, but only sets the dog against the master and classes. Dogs are important to the participation and support of the owner, and having felt this, he will work with full dedication.