People more than once and not two made attempts to cross the dog and the wolf. In fact, these two species are quite close, but more often the results of such experiments were not pleasing. As it turned out, getting offspring from such a pair is not difficult, but will it meet the expectations? In most cases, no. But still managed to breed two resistant breeds that were recognized, and one of them - Sarlos wolf dog or in another way - wolf dog Sarlos. To meet such an original hybrid on the street is a great success, and if you are still lucky, it is important to immediately understand that you are not a wolf, but a dog.
- История происхождения 1. History of origin
- Описание породы волчья собака Сарлоса 2. Description breed wolf dog Sarlos
- Особенности характера и темперамента 3. Characteristics and temperament
- Воспитание и обучение гибридного питомца 4. Raising and Teaching a Hybrid Pet
- Уход и здоровье 5. Care and health
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Как и чем кормить гибридных собак 7. How and what to feed hybrid dogs.
- Условия содержания 8. Conditions of detention
- Фото волчьей собаки Сарлоса 9. Photos of the wolf dog Sarlos
- Видео о волчьей собаке Сарлоса 10. Video about wolf dog Sarlos
- Покупка щенка 11. Buying a puppy
History of origin
In 25 g of the last century, the breeder from the Netherlands L.Sarlos managed to get a hybrid litter from a she-wolf and a German Shepherd male. Despite the fact that the wolf was tamed and spent her whole life at the zoo, the puppies were shy, aggressive and asocial.
However, the breeder did not give up, he did not just repeat the experience, but devoted his work to his whole life. In the future, Carlos continued to select strong, durable hybrid dogs with no signs of degeneration.
When the breeder was gone, the family continued the case, they maximally improved the breed, which was recognized by the Dutch canine club. In 1962, the wolf dog of Sarlos was entered into the register of the International Dog Association. Today, the breed is rare, specific and not intended for all.
Description of breed wolf dog Sarlos
Purebred representatives - quite strong, proportionally and harmoniously folded animals. Outwardly, they are very similar to their wild parent - the type of coat, movements, physique.
In terms of character, wolf dogs are energetic, active, independent and proud. These are rather tall dogs, the height of the males at the withers varies from 64 to 76 cm, they weigh 36-42 kg, females - from 59 to 69.5 cm, with a body weight of 35-37 kg. In accordance with the standard, the pets of Sarlos are as follows:
- The head is wedge-shaped, moderately broad, with a flattened forehead and not a pronounced separation groove. Brow arc almost not visible.
- Muzzle elongated, rectangular format, narrowed to the nose. The nose is straight, smooth. The transition from the forehead to the face in the form of a smooth line. The jaws are strong, well developed, well overlapping each other, with large, white teeth closing in a regular, scissor bite.
- Nose is large, painted black or brown, nostrils are wide, well open.
- The eyes are almond-shaped, preferably amber-yellow. Planted with a slight slope. Eyelids pigmented, tight fitting. The dog looks cautiously, attentively, but at the same time it’s not interest that lurks in your eyes. The eyes are attributed to the characteristic pedigree characteristics, which give the wolfish appearance to the Sarlos dogs. In some individuals, the iris becomes darker with age, but it remains yellow. Predisposition to brown color is undesirable. The line of the orbits smoothly continues the line of the skull.
- Ears are thick, thick, medium size, in the form of triangles with rounded tips. Located at eye level, the inner surface is covered with a coat of wool. They are agile in hybrid dogs, and their movements can be understood about the feelings and experiences of the animal. Auricles that are set above or below the set level and having too sharp tips are undesirable.
- The neck is medium in size and fit, covered with dry muscular tissue. The body is dryish, strong, elongated, with a wide, well-developed chest.
- The back is moderately long, without tilting. The ribs stand out, but quite a bit. The lumbar region is strong, goes into a somewhat sloping croup. The line of the peritoneum is slightly elevated, the stomach on the sides slightly falls.
- The tail of natural length, with a slight bend, is low, lower than that of other breeds. Fully covered with a rich, dense coat of wool.
- Forelegs - elongated, parallel and moderately close to each other. The hind ones are stronger, well muscled, with long hips. Paws are not large, gathered in a ball, the front ones are slightly turned outwards.
The wolf dog trots, it is hardy and tireless, covers huge distances without getting tired. Breeders have a distinctive feature - a light "wolf" step. The lynx in Sarlos dogs is not sweeping, harmonious, allows the animal to expend less energy.
Coat and possible colors
Hybrid dogs are covered with dense, thick hair, guard hair straight, hard. There is a thick, soft undercoat. In the area of the neck, peritoneum, thighs and tail, it is thicker and longer.
Most often there are individuals with a wolf-gray, zonar color, the wool of different tones is distributed in the form of rings of different shades. In addition, there are dogs with blue, fawn, black, silver with gray and white hair.
Character and temperament
From Sarlos dogs obtained excellent rescuers, thanks to their activity, vigilance and unique endurance. In addition, they are independent and can make their own decisions.
The ability of cautious, easy movement was transferred to them from wolves, dogs are perfectly oriented even in unfamiliar terrain, they will surely find a safe path. These properties allow the use of dogs for a help job.
Sarlos dogs are immensely loyal to their owner, but, unlike other dogs, they are more restrained emotionally. That is, they will be happy to return the owner, but he hardly will wait for the screeching and hectic joy from them.
Of course, these animal instincts inherited some animal instincts from a wild ancestor, but representatives of the breed are not devoid of dog sociability. They have no innate aggression directed at a person. There is not a single recorded case of the attack of the dog of Sarlos on people without any reason, from fright or incomprehensible hostility.
Most often, these dogs are trying to stay away from strangers and treat them not embittered, but wary. As for fellows, the instinct of the schooling animal works here. Individuals that appeared at the dawn of the breed's development had rather low intellectual abilities. However, the more blood of German Shepherd Dogs was infused during breeding and more careful selection took place, the higher this indicator turned out to be.
At home, in Holland and other European countries, wolf dogs are used as guides for people with vision problems, in rescue activities, but this is where their official practice ends. For another service, dogs are not very suitable because of the predominance of instincts of wild relatives.
Representatives of the breed can bark, like other dogs, but, as a rule, they prefer to howl at the wolf. Dogs have excellent hunting instincts, their blood ability to work as part of the pack. A dog can be chased with the help of smell and the “sighted” method.
Hybrid Pet Education and Training
Experts in one voice say that Sarlos dogs have a complex character, because in some way they are close in spirit with tamed, wild animals.
The subordination of such a pet is not an easy task, the owner must have an iron restraint and certain experience with such large, freedom-loving dogs. Novices and lovers of decorative rocks like that can not be.
These animals do not hold stubbornness and independence; therefore, it is very important for a person to become a true leader for a pet - strong, incorruptible, respected. Such a dog will immediately take the lead; you do not need to teach him this - he was born to live in a flock.
Patience and composure teachers will help in learning. But we should not forget that classes should be interesting, diverse. The pet will bring the item one, two, three, and on the fourth one may get bored, become obstinate, and nothing will force him to get involved in the work.
In order for the dog to turn out to be an excellent, sensitive guide, it must be long and carefully trained. In this case, without the help of professionals can not do. When acquiring a Sarloss dog as a pet, the owner must take into account that the education and training will take longer than the training of the stubborn dog that does not have wolf blood.
However, with a competent approach, the family gets a faithful, loyal friend, balanced and calm. He will be great to communicate with children and all households. But living together with other animals - cats, ferrets, etc., can be very dangerous for the latter, the dog is a hunter to the bone.
Care and health
By unpretentiousness it is difficult to find a competitor to these dogs. Their coat does not require any care at all, their claws are ground naturally, their teeth are white and strong by nature. Bathe a wolf dog rarely, no more than 1 time in half a year, and even less often.
It is believed that the breeder Sarlos, when breeding a new breed, put the question of improving the health of German shepherds at the forefront. And he managed to achieve this - dogs have strong immunity and are not susceptible to genetic diseases.
Hybrid dogs can live up to 16-18 years, which is considered very high, almost unattainable, an indicator among large breeds. According to theoretical estimates, the life expectancy of Sarlos dogs can be much longer.
Such pets are sick very rarely, but their diseases are associated with some difficulties. For example, taking antibacterial drugs often causes severe complications. The use of anesthetic and other drugs requires caution, usually half the usual dosage is prescribed.
Carlos dogs are very patient, they are able to endure for a long time, without showing anything that they are sick. Therefore, the owner should be more attentive to the behavior of the pet. These dogs are very hard to travel in different transport, especially for puppies and adolescents. If you want to take the animal for a long distance, you will need to immerse it in light anesthesia.
How and what to feed hybrid dogs
The owners of the hybrid dog are less fortunate than the owners of ordinary dogs, as it is impossible to feed this large animal with ready-made, industrial feed, no matter how high-quality they are.
This means that the pet needs to prepare balanced, fresh food every day. It is recommended to cook nutritious cereals in meat broth, adding boiled meat, offal, greens, vegetable oils to them.
But the basis of the diet should be raw meat - a source of proteins, vitamins and trace elements. Additionally, the dog can be given sea boiled fish, kefir, eggs, yogurt, vegetables and fruits. A dog should consume more protein than carbohydrates and fats.
Conditions of detention
No matter how much a person wants, it is not recommended to start a wolf shepherd for living in an apartment. Even while living in the countryside, the dog will need regular, long-term walking. Representatives of this breed need intense physical exertion.
Group content is considered ideal - in this way, pets do not get bored, adapt to new conditions more quickly, learn how to interact with their own kind. Wolf dogs need early socialization, it is recommended to appear more often with a pet in crowded, noisy places. This will allow the pet to quickly get used to life in society.
The dog needs a spacious house territory where a well-enclosed aviary is equipped. It can be let into the house, but still more often the dog must be on the street. Wool with a thick undercoat protects the animal from severe frosts, winds and heat. Such a pet is given loneliness, so a puppy should be taught to him from an early age.
A wolf shepherd is not suitable for chain keeping, with limitation of movement it may cause clouding of reason, often dogs get sick or start to behave inadequately. In addition, the dog begins a long and sad howl.
The mating season in hybrid dogs is quite active. To keep a pet on the site, and sometimes in the aviary, it is very difficult, the dogs do the digging and jump over the highest barriers. If the owner takes a puppy with the prospect for breeding, then first he should learn about many intricacies. For example, quite often males of this breed choose certain females and do not react to others. Bitches usually only flow once a year.
Photo of wolf dog Sarlos
Video about wolf dog Sarlos
Buying a puppy
Only a person who understands the character and behavior of hybrid dogs can acquire such a puppy. Acquiring a pet will cause a number of difficulties - finding a nursery or a private breeder offering offspring with documents can take a long time.
It is categorically not recommended to buy a representative of such a complex breed from random sellers. The animal may have an unstable mentality and not be trained, which further promises a lot of problems.
Sarloss wolf dog is unique in many ways, because most of the experiments on the crossing of dogs and wolves were a failure. But this does not negate the complexity of the breed - the hybrids are peculiar and fit only a certain type of people.