The initial purpose of these small, funny dogs is to catch a burrowing animal. And the dogs have all the qualities that make them great hunters. When, over time, people were less and less in need of such services, the Welsh Terriers did not cost anything to retrain as companion dogs — affectionate, cheerful, positive, but not devoid of activity. Who is such a modern Welsh Terrier, and about what future owners should know before the pet crosses the threshold of the house?
- История породы 1. Breed history
- Описание породы вельштерьер 2. Description of the breed welsh terrier
- Характер 3. Character
- Воспитание и дрессировка вельштерьера 4. Education and training of the Welsh Terrier
- Уход и здоровье 5. Care and health
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Как и чем кормить вельштерьера 7. How and what to feed the Welsh Terrier
- Содержание собаки 8. Keeping a dog
- Фото вельштерьера 9. Photos of the Welsh Terrier
- Видео о вельштерьере 10. Video about the welsh terrier
- Где купить щенка 11. Where to buy a puppy
The birthplace of the breed is England. According to one version, the ancestor of these dogs was the Old English black and tan terrier, once used to exterminate rodents, hunting for burrowing animals. In addition, he was an excellent guard of farmland. At that time, the terriers did not just participate in the popular fun - fishing for rats, but also showed excellent results.
In the 19th century, breeders started breeding pure breed Welsh Terriers. In 1885, an approved standard appeared, and a year later the first club of breed lovers was opened. Thirteen years later, at the Liverpool exhibition, a little less than a hundred individuals provided for the public to court. This was an indicator of steady growth in the popularity of the Welsh Terriers, although outside the country this happened only by the 70s.
Description of the breed welsh terrier
These are small dogs endowed with strength and endurance. The velsha has high resistance to the teeth of wild animals, their powerful bones are completely covered with developed muscles. Hard coat, like a wire, it perfectly performs its functions - protects the animal from the weather and external damage.
The appearance of these dogs is deceptive - they are light, elegant, it seems that such a little dog can lie on the sofa cushion, however, incredible strength is hidden in it, it is very agile and agile. As for the sexual type, it is weakly expressed, appearance depends more on the "hairstyle" than on the addition.
The maximum doggie weight is 9-10 kg, the height of males at the withers does not exceed 39 cm, the bitches are somewhat smaller and more compact. The breed standard describes representatives as follows:
- The head is in the form of a square, clearly delineated, with a flat, strong forehead, not convex. Stop weakly expressed, goes into a straight, straight back of the nose. The format of the muzzle is emphasized by trimming the beard. The cheekbones of the Welsh Terrier are dry, the lips are tight, and the gums are pigmented with black.
- The jaws are equipped with a number of strong, snow-white teeth of medium size, which are tightly closed in a scissor bite. The standard allows for direct bite, but it is undesirable.
- Nose classic, square, intensely colored black, nostrils wide open.
- Eyes of small size, with glitter, look lively, intelligent, interested. Are located low.
- Ears of a triangular shape, with a break, when the dog is calm, the tips hang down to the outer corners of the eyes. In a concentrated Welsh Terrier, they climb the cartilage and move forward.
- The body is square, lean, immediately visible physical potential. The dog is always in suspense, and even when it seems that the dog is relaxed and imposing, he can take off in a second.
- The neck is proportional to the body, oval in shape with “dry” muscles, narrow at the head, widening towards the shoulders, has a graceful curve. Withers strong, back straight, medium length. Thorax deep, drops to the elbows, with an even keel. The ribs are well rounded, springy.
- The limbs are located under the body, parallel to each other, have strong, dry joints and pronounced knee bends. Hind limbs better muscled.
- Brushes of medium size, collected in a lump, with not too long fingers, bent like a cat, strong claws. The pads are covered with black, sturdy, but not stiff skin.
- The tail is quite high. The standard allows it in both natural and cropped form. With the classic cupping, the length reaches the occiput, which emphasizes the square shape of the body.
The quality of coat and colors
Welsh Terriers have a very conservative color, which is called cheprakom (shirt or jacket). On external examination, it seems that the red dog put on a black shirt and buttoned only the top button.
The cover itself is hard, if you pat the dog, it will immediately take on its original appearance. The welshterriers have a full, dense undercoat, but during seasonal moulting, individuals almost completely shed it, especially bitches.
It may seem that the guard hairs of representatives of this breed are curly, but it is more likely curled, in the form of a single-turn helix. The standard specifies stringent requirements for color, and any deviations relate to deficiencies.
The advantage is a rich, deep shade of wool, but among the champions you can find individuals with an almost gray tan. The shirt should be black, some gray or red hairs are allowed.
The flank should be evenly contoured, covering the area of the muzzle, ears, chin, sternum, front and hind paws and the lower part of the peritoneum.
The owner, who wants to buy a puppy for an exhibition career, should pay attention to some flaws in color, which will not be a disadvantage, but are not particularly welcome:
- the presence of an open shirt, that is, only the red hair on the sternum;
- the presence of a white spot on the chest (if the mark covers most of the chest, then the representative of the breed is rejected - it is not suitable for exhibitions and breeding);
- white markings covering the paws, hands;
- the presence of black marks on the hands or limbs, below the hock;
- black markings on the ears - inside or outside.
The disadvantage can damage the show career, such an individual will not be able to get a champion title and promising litter.
If we describe the temperament of the Welsh Terrier in three words, then we can say that it is a fidget, reactive and positive animal. In the doggie's genes, the qualities of his working ancestors are present, he is energetic, passionate, able to make decisions independently, without regard for the owner. The latter is due to its hunting roots.
The owner will not be able to jump out for 5 minutes to walk his four-legged friend. This little terrier needs a full, long boardwalk, with games and fun. In the park, this pet can be worn for an hour in a row, imitating a hunt, without ever getting tired of wearing a stick or a ball.
The Welsh Terrier is very ambitious, when he meets his brethren, he expects concession. Moreover, the size of the dog practically doesn’t care about it; the Welsh with disobedience will definitely try to show its superiority. Therefore, if on the way there is at least a snooty individual, the owner is better to take his pet away.
If a family game is started, it is unlikely that you can do without a little terrier. The enthusiasm and interest of this dog can only be envied. It is worth considering that the terrier loves to participate in garden and garden affairs. Naturally, this is not about help, but about real sabotage. All that will be planted may be dug out.
The meeting of the Welsh Terrier with small animals can end sadly for the latter; the dog, if not catching it, will surely chase the animal away. Distract the dog from this occupation is almost impossible. Hunting call from these doggies often wakes up in the conditions of an apartment. Thanks to the sharp scent of a pet is able to detect goodies, even in remote places.
Terriers suffer loneliness poorly, if the owner is constantly on the road, then it is not recommended to start such a four-legged friend. The representative of this breed is very purposeful - having set a goal before him, he will definitely develop and implement a strategy that will lead a restless terrier to it. This quality is very much appreciated by hunters - a dog can solve the task set for it in two accounts.
The future owner must understand that it is impossible to eradicate the instincts of such a dog, and even a prankster can be expected from a well-educated Welsh Terrier. What can be done? Just understand, forgive and love. In this case, the family gets a cheerful, positive friend. In good hands, the dog will try in every way to please his beloved owner.
Education and training of the Welsh Terrier
Dogs of this breed are quite intelligent, therefore, even a small puppy is able to learn basic knowledge and skills. If you offer your pet training in a playful way, he will be happy to join the process and become actively involved in it.
There are rather stubborn individuals among the Welsh Terriers, in this case the owner should be patient and insistently demand his own. Most often, a stern voice and a dissatisfied look are enough for the “student” to understand that his behavior does not please the owner.
These modest sized dogs are very dominant creatures, which means that they will only obey the leader. A person needs to become a leader for his pet, to gain credibility. An effective method of training in working with this breed is positive reinforcement.
Such a dog is not modest and is always happy to show off his abilities to the public. The intelligence of the Welsh Terrier allows you to bring up a real helper from him - he can bring slippers, a newspaper, collect toys in a basket and so on. From the dog you can get a home circus artist - he successfully performs various tricks.
Given his hunting habits and curiosity, it is desirable to train a pet indoors. Otherwise, he will be distracted by extraneous sounds and movements, and he will undoubtedly go in pursuit of the cat running, completely forgetting about the obligations.
The Welsh Terrier gratefully accepts the well-deserved praise and encouragement, and if you constantly criticize and punish him, it will permanently discourage the doggie from learning and simply interacting.
Care and health
The Welsh Terrier is a wire-haired dog, whose guard hair does not fall out on its own. On the one hand, this is an excellent quality for a dog contained in an apartment, on the other hand, there is a need for regular pinching of dead hair - trimming. It is carried out at least once every six months, in zoosalonakh, but the owner can independently master the procedure. Naturally, the owner of a pet participating in exhibitions cannot do without the services of a professional.
Dog puff out the dog with a pukhoderka, during the change of undercoat it is desirable to do it daily. Welch terriers are not sheared, as this negatively affects the quality of the coat. Recommended only hygienic haircut - removal of regrown hair between fingers. Bathe dogs every 2 weeks, using products for animals with hard wool. After washing the pet should be blotted with a towel.
The owner should purchase a special paste and brush to brush his teeth every 2-3 days. This will save them from the formation of plaque and stones. In addition, the dog will be happy to chew on a dental stick or a toy, which is an excellent prophylactic agent.
Eyes should be regularly inspected and periodically cleaned with a wet swab. Movement begins from the outer corner of the eye, and ends at the inner. To improve the ventilation of the air in the auricles, the wool in them is trimmed. Experts recommend cleaning them with a sulfur softening agent.
If self-grinding of claws does not occur, they should be eaten by a file or cut off with a claw cutter.
The Welsh Terriers were bred as working dogs, which means that good health was built into the compulsory qualities of the breed. Dogs have a strong immune system and are not painful. The following pathologies can rarely be diagnosed in such dogs:
- eye diseases - cataract, glaucoma;
- thyroid disorders;
The weak point of these terriers is their eyes, they need to be followed very carefully.
How and what to feed the Welshteriera
These dogs are not fussy, so almost everything that goes into their bowl will be eaten. The owner can feed your pet quality dry food or natural products. In the latter case, among the banned products are pastries and potatoes.
If necessary, the dog can be transferred from one type of feeding to another, but it is not recommended to do this often and for no reason. When feeding the dog with regular food, it is necessary to additionally provide vitamin supplements or complexes, which the veterinarian will help to select.
Welch Terrier is designed to stay in a house or apartment, the presence of a fenced house adjoining territory is welcome. But even in a busy city, a dog can live if it is provided with sufficient physical activity.
Video of the welsh terrier
Where to buy a puppy
This breed was assessed on the territory of Russia, and the opening of the National Club of breed lovers confirmed this. However, dogs are still rare, kennels and breeders are quite few, so their search and waiting for offspring may take some time. The cost of puppies varies from 10,000 to 30,000 rubles.
In Moscow there is one kennel "From Wales" (welsh terriers, border terriers) https://izvelsa.ru/contacts/.
The Welsh Terrier is a dog for active, cheerful people who lead an active lifestyle. Wherever the owner goes, the pet will be immensely happy to accompany him. As for the small flaws ... And who does not have them?