Vaginitis in a dog - inflammation of the mucous membrane of the vagina, caused by the introduction of a pathogenic infectious agent. Often the cause of pathology are conditionally pathogenic microorganisms that are part of the natural microflora of the reproductive organs. An increase in the number of opportunistic microorganisms and their transition to pathogens occurs against the background of a decrease in the protective forces of the organism.
Causes of pathology
In addition to imbalance of microflora caused by a decrease in immunity (read how to improve immunity in dogs ), the following factors can cause vaginitis in dogs:
- hormonal imbalance;
- violation of metabolic processes;
- previous infectious diseases;
- trauma to the vagina during the mating or birth of puppies;
- infection with sexually transmitted pathogens;
- foci of chronic infection in the body;
- violation of conditions of maintenance and feeding;
- use of aggressive medicines;
- stress .
Read also about the sterilization of dogs .
Symptoms of vaginitis in dogs
The inflammatory process proceeds with edema and reddening of the mucosa. Sometimes inflammation is accompanied by an increase in body temperature, general weakness and loss of appetite in the dog. These symptoms, as a rule, are caused by a secondary infection or an ascending infection, which engages the internal organs of the reproductive system and the urinary system.
Especially dangerous is the upward movement of the infection in the event that the dog is pregnant. Inflammation can cause miscarriage or the birth of a weakened, non-viable offspring. Depending on the type of infectious agent and the type of inflammation that it caused, vaginitis in dogs is classified into:
- serous - accompanied by a secretion of translucent, liquid-mucous cream-colored secret;
- catarrhal - separable from the vagina dense, turbid, white with a specific acidic odor;
- purulent - secret viscous with veins of yellow-green pus, with an unpleasant sharp smell;
- fibrinous - besides abundant discharge, pathology is accompanied by the deposition on the walls of the vagina of whitish films consisting of fibrin. Doctors do not recommend removing them, as the body restores the integrity of the mucosa in this way. Under fibrin deposit, the upper part of the mucosa is destroyed and has the appearance of open wounds;
- gangrenous - the most dangerous form of vaginitis, when there is tissue disintegration, the formation of foci of necrosis, the purulent discharge separates with the sap of blood abundantly.
Treatment of vaginitis is prescribed depending on what kinds of microorganisms are the causative agents of inflammation, and at what stage of progression is the process itself.
Treatment of vaginitis in dogs
Self-medication or attempts at treatment of pathology in a dog by folk methods are unacceptable, since progressive vaginitis can lead to infertility, spread of infection to other organs of the genitourinary system, and in severe course - to death of the pet. At the first signs of the disease, you should contact the vet clinic, because the earlier treatment is started, the more successful its result.
The best treatment is serous and catarrhal vaginitis. In this case, therapy of pathology can do without the use of antibiotics. It is recommended douching with weak solutions of disinfectants - Miramistine, Furacilin, pink solution of potassium permanganate, 0.9% solution of sodium chloride.
For local treatment, ointments are used. Using a sterile spatula or spatula, ointments are applied to inflamed mucous loops: Oxycortal, Synthomycin, Streptocide, Prednisolon. In the complex treatment of vaginitis, syringing with herbal medicinal herbs - rhizomes of calamus, aloe juice, mountain arnica, birch tar solution, etc., is allowed.
Severe forms of vaginitis should be treated only after the analysis of smears for the establishment of an infectious agent. In the case of purulent and fibrotic vaginitis, antibiotics of the appropriate class are prescribed. When a secondary infection or a combination of several types of pathogen is prescribed, broad-spectrum antibiotics and antimycotic drugs are prescribed.
With abundant discharge after syringing, Immune-stimulating Phyto-Elite ointment is laid. With juvenile vaginitis, injections of hormonal drugs are prescribed.
Prevention of pathology
To maintain the protective forces of the body after the course of treatment and for the prevention of recurrence of the disease it is recommended:
- comply with the hygienic rules for keeping the pet;
- give a balanced, rich in vitamins and trace elements of food;
- timely vaccination;
- conduct breeding only with healthy males and after reaching the bitch physiological maturity;
- timely sanitize foci of infection in the body.
The treatment of vaginitis can be prolonged, but if the recommendations and preventive measures are followed, the disease is cured completely.