A dog in the house is a huge responsibility for the owner. There are situations when the animal's nose becomes dry and hot. How to respond to this indicator of canine health, in all cases is required to visit the vet? It must be remembered that in addition to a dry nose, a dog may have any additional symptoms, so you should not make hasty conclusions, it is necessary to take a closer look at the pet. What to do?
- Причины сухого носа у собаки 1. Causes of a dry nose in a dog
- Что делать, если у собаки теплый нос 2. What to do if the dog has a warm nose
- У собаки простуда 3. The dog has a cold
- Аллергия у питомца 4. Pet Allergy
- Климатические особенности 5. Climatic features
- Травма 6. Trauma
- Глистные инвазии 7. Worm infestations
- Чумка 8. The Plague
- Когда волноваться не следует 9. When should not worry
Causes of a dry nose in a dog
Dry and warm nose should alert the owner of the dog. There can be several reasons:
- The most commonplace cause of dry nose and warming can be a cold. A loving owner should not only be able to feel the pet's nose, but also measure the temperature. If the indicator on the thermometer exceeds the mark 39, other signs of the disease are visible ( cough , soured eyes, weakness of the dog), it is necessary to start treatment for the common cold.
- Often the cause of a warm nose is an allergic reaction. We are surrounded by allergens everywhere. Plastic utensils, household chemicals, food. Dogs, like humans, can react to allergens. If the dog reacts to the allergen, then there will be no other visible manifestations of the disease. You should contact your veterinarian and determine the cause of the allergic reaction.
- Dry nose can be observed in a nursing bitch. This is considered normal, so do not panic and call the vet on the house.
- In the summer, a dog that is long in the sun may get burned skin. On the nose, the skin is not protected by hair, so possible sunburn. Having noticed the pet's warm and dried nose, look at the place where it was located. The doghouse must be installed in a cool place so that the animal has the opportunity to rest in the shade. In addition, you should monitor the presence in the area of access of the pet tank with cool drinking water. In the summer heat the dog may overheat, which will also be expressed in dry nose.
- In winter, when the weather is frosty and windy, the skin on a dog's nose can be exposed to natural factors. Winter cold can lead to dry skin of the nose, in more serious cases it can be painful cracks.
- During walks, and just in the yard, a dog may be accidentally injured. Sometimes trauma leads to the appearance of a symptom such as dry nose and warming. Having noticed that the dog has a warm nose, it should be examined for injuries or damage to the skin. If the pet refuses to give a paw, most likely it hurt her. It is necessary to determine the severity of the injury and seek help from a veterinary clinic, or deal with the problem yourself.
- Stressful situations adversely affect the dog's body. Having a nervousness, the dog may get a little sick, which causes such a symptom as a warm and dry nose.
- Dryness of the nose, complete with blistering on it, indicates a disease like pemphigus. It refers to diseases of the immune system. Typical signs of the disease: blisters with fluid on the skin. After a bubble ripens, it bursts, then dried crusts appear that prevent the dog from breathing. Determine the type of pathogen can only be after passing tests.
- If a dog has constipation other than a warm nose, it is sluggish, does not want to play, you should check it for helminthiasis. Worms in large quantities, accumulated in the peritoneum, can cause the strongest intoxication of the animal. The body temperature at the same time can both increase and decrease.
- A warm nose can be combined with other signs of distemper. The condition of the dog in this disease is the following: hot, dry nose, lethargy, purulent discharge from the eyes and nasal passages, refusal of food, and indigestion. An animal may have a staggering gait, it may drag its hind legs and fall to its side. In severe cases, fainting or convulsive seizures are possible.
What to do if the dog has a warm nose
In each case, it is necessary to soberly assess the situation, their strength and the state of the animal. Only then make a decision: show the animal to the vet or help him on his own. Consider the basic situations in which the animal may be.
The dog has a cold
If you suspect a cold, if the condition of the dog is not critical, you can get home treatment, but if possible show the animal to the vet so as not to miss pneumonia . The first steps that the owner should take in case of a pet's cold disease are:
- Provide a calm atmosphere, give a warm drink and tasty food, from which the pet definitely will not refuse. To maintain strength, it is necessary for the dog to eat at least a little.
- Drafts in the place where the sick dog rests, should not be. Indoors should not be too hot or too cold. It is desirable to ensure a normal temperature in the room.
- It is necessary to go out, because the dog needs to cope with physiological needs. Walking time can be limited to a quarter of an hour.
- If the dog freezes, it can be covered with something warm or even warmed with a heating pad.
- Periodically, you can brush your dog with a brush. This massage activates the body's defenses, helps disperse the blood and warm up.
At the initial stage of the disease, when the dog does not refuse food and drink, it is possible to treat with the following medications: Gamavit, Amoxiclav, Cycloferon. To reduce the temperature, intramuscular injections of Analgin with Dimedrol are used, which are carried out 2 times a day. If the treatment does not help, the dog feels worse, call the veterinarian for inspection. It is possible that the animal develops pneumonia. This condition is quite serious and cannot be handled by a specialist. In order to diagnose an inflammatory process in the lungs, a veterinarian must listen to the dog.
If a dog has a cough, wheezing, and it is not possible to show it to the vet, begin treatment with a broad-spectrum antibiotic . In order not to disturb the intestinal microflora, you should additionally purchase the drug to normalize the microflora.
If the pet has a high temperature, do not give paracetamol-based drugs, they are harmful to the animal. If you do not know how to make injections, give the tablet Analgin, hiding it in a piece of treat.
This condition can be caused by flowering plants, household items, woolen items, household chemicals, food. Determining the source of allergies on your own is rather difficult, but you can try. Try to clean the room where the dog is located, without chemicals.
Do more wet cleaning with warm water. Dishes must be washed daily, without using chemicals for washing dishes. If the pet's bedding is wool, replace it with cotton. Walking the animal, avoid those places where the grass, bushes bloom. If the source of allergies in this way was found, protect the pet from it.
If natural phenomena (heat, wind, scorching sunshine) became the cause of dryness of the nose, it is necessary to use cosmetics and try to protect the animal from the vagaries of the weather. For example, in the summer to move the booth in the shade of trees.
In this case, it is necessary to provide the pet with first aid (to stop the bleeding, bandage the wound), then visit the veterinarian. If the nose is injured, do not use alcohol, brilliant green, iodine - this can lead to a burn of the nasal mucosa.
When purchasing an animal home, it should be remembered that a pet's walk on the street may end in the appearance of worms . Therefore, all dog owners are advised to carry out preventive cleaning with special anthelmintic drugs.
If the dog has worms, it may suffer from diarrhea . Certain types of worms can be found in excrement. It is advisable to pass the analysis and start the anthelmintic treatment recommended by the specialist. Among the drugs used to treat helminthic invasions include: Pirantel, Fenbendazole, Espiranthel, Praziquantel, Febantel.
Treatment should be aimed at maintaining the internal forces of the animal. It is advisable to contact the veterinary clinic, as the disease is quite serious and may result in the death of a pet.
Read more: distemper in dogs: stages and methods of treatment .
When should not worry
Not always dry and warm nose is an indicator of canine disease. If the dog behaves as usual, is cheerful, playful, most likely there is no cause for concern. Watch the animal, give him food, water.
A warm nose is not the main indicator, so it is impossible to react sharply only to this symptom. Maybe the dog was tired, nervous, which caused the warming of the nose and its dryness. Warm nose happens in puppies, lactating animals, newly awakened pets. If there are no other, more serious symptoms of diseases, then there is no reason for excitement either. I hope we answered the question: “Why does a dog have a dry nose?”.