Dogs, due to the nature of the breed, require different care. For some fairly rare bathings and brushings, for others this is very little - they need a visit to a dog hairdresser. But there is another group of pets that are not recommended to cut. In order for the coat of dogs to be beautiful and well-groomed, another procedure is needed, which is called trimming. What is it and for what dogs is needed?
- Зачем нужен тримминг 1. Why do we need trimming
- Можно ли тримминг заменить стрижкой 2. Can trimming be replaced with a haircut
- Специальные инструменты для тримминга 3. Special trimming tools
- Тримминг фокстерьера на видео 4. Trimming the Fox Terrier to video
- Основы правильного тримминга 5. The basics of proper trimming
Why do you need trimming
Dog breeds with a hard coat - from a group of terriers and schnauzers, have lost the ability to shed themselves. Dead hair remains in a woolen coat, and to get rid of them a pet, it is required to carry out trimming every six months - plucking out old hairs.
First of all, this manipulation is related to hygienic procedures, as the old packed hair often causes skin irritations that bring discomfort to the animal. And, of course, this procedure makes the dog's hair more neat and well-groomed.
In principle, the owner is independently able to check whether the time has come for trimming to a pet. To do this, gently grab a bundle of wool, squeezing with your fingers, and pull. In that case, when a part of the fur is left between the fingers, then it is time to pull out the dead hair.
This procedure can be done independently, if you have time, patience and special tools. Otherwise, it is worth contacting a specialist, especially when it comes to preparing for an exhibition or competition. Only a person who knows the standards of the breed can do everything accordingly.
Can trimming be replaced with a haircut
Some owners of pets with hard wool who are not participating in exhibitions, believe that only dogs of the show class need such a procedure, and ordinary trimming is quite suitable for their pets.
But it is not so. If a dog with such a specific coat is cut, then he can lose his properties forever. Even one treatment with scissors can make the wool, of course, soft and fluffy, but at the same time it will be thinning and weakening.
This is due to the fact that hard hair has an interesting structure - thinner in the base area, and thickened at the end. After removal, the same hair grows at its place. And if it is cut with scissors, it grows from the remaining thin base.
It is possible to return the original structure of the coat, but this will take a lot of time and effort, and in addition, only a professional groom can do it.
It is necessary to start recovery with regular plucking of regrown soft hairs and this should be done extremely carefully. After 10-14 days the procedure is repeated. Removing ripe hair with your fingers, you can return to the original structure of the wool, however, it will never be perfect.
Dogs with stiff coat appeared as a result of natural selection, this cover was possessed by hunters. This was their protection from moisture, precipitation, wind, as well as from prickly plants and shrubs.
Of course, at that time there was no talk about trimming. Dead wool was removed due to the same bushes with prickles, through which the dogs reached for prey. Pet owners could only eliminate wool in those places where it was harder to get.
Novice owners are plagued by doubts, but what if their pet feels hellish pains during trimming? But these fears are absolutely in vain. Of course, the first procedures will make the dog worry, because everything is new. However, animals experienced in this matter can even sleep on the groom’s table, right during the manipulation of the coat.
There are several of the most vulnerable places on the body in an animal, trimming which will take not painful sensations, but some discomfort - this is the inner surface of the thighs and armpits. Sometimes dogs show anxiety during the treatment of head and neck areas. But to a greater extent, such manipulations are calmly tolerated by pets, and discontentment arises as a demonstration of their temperament.
Special trimming tools
Needless to say that it is better to give preference to professional tools of excellent quality, which are expensive, but working with them is much easier and more enjoyable. The following devices will be required:
- Folding table , which is specially for trimming covered with rough material. It is quite compact and after the procedure is folded and removed. The table is also suitable for use at trade shows, if your pet is punched for a similar career. Naturally, they will have to use more than one year, so you should think about purchasing a quality table.
- Combs - a metal instrument with two sets of teeth, small and large, suitable for trimming. They are used for combing wool on paws and skirt.
- A brush-pukhoderka - it is used to remove dead hairs, in addition, it is also necessary for the regular combing of a pet, for styling wool during blow-drying, it is laid wool during exhibitions. It must be chosen based on the type of wool, the teeth of such brushes are made of wire. For this type of breed is not suitable too hard tool. And do not take a Pukhoderka with a large surface - 5 by 10 cm is quite suitable.
- Trimming knife Produce a great variety of similar tools. You can purchase a knife for use with your left or right hand. Naturally, only practice can show what is most convenient, as long as he copes with plucking and does not cut the hairs in any way. For work, however, you will need two types of knives - one with medium teeth, for treating the dog’s torso, and the second with fine teeth to remove hair in the head, ear, and chest areas.
- Trimming stones are also a kind of knives, but are used at the end of the procedure or for plucking wool from puppies.
- Powder, crayons for grooming - increase grip, eliminate slipping, thereby simplifying the task. You can purchase special tools or use conventional powder for this purpose.
- Tumbler - another device for convenience, are made of silicone, latex. Their task is to prevent irritation and callosum.
Fox terrier trimming on video
The Basics of Proper Trimming
As with any animal manipulation, trimming has some nuances that owners should be aware of in advance.
Growing up, at a certain point, the hard wool becomes thinner, this process, on average, begins 6 months after the plucking procedure. But even here there may be a difference in terms, based on the breed characteristics.
In a healthy, well-groomed pet, the coat is densely covered, it shines, not divided into separate strands, it does not bristle. But over time, the wool becomes thinner, becoming more faded. These are true signs of the need for trimming. It remains only to choose - whether to do it yourself, or to resort to the services of a professional groomer.
Dogs belonging to the breed species of schnauzer and terriers of medium and small size, begin to pull out already from the age of four months at least twice, maximum four times during the year. Pedigree large puppies are trimmed with six months. The most convenient time for trimming is the spring and autumn season, when the rest of the dogs have a seasonal molt.
If we are talking about preparatory manipulations to the exhibition, then it is necessary to perform the procedure 1.5-2 months before the event. With the slow growth of wool processing can be carried out 3 months before the show.
It is necessary to begin plucking the hair from the occipital region, moving towards the tail. The neck is trimmed first from the side, and then from the top, the sides from the top down, and then the back goes. The thighs are processed only up to the area of the “hock” joints, the shoulder blades up to the elbow joint, the tail starts to be pulled out from above.
The animal does not immediately get used to the event, at first it is anxious and nervous, in this case it is better to carry out trimming in stages, giving the animal a rest.
Future dog owners who do not shed need to be prepared for the fact that trimming is a must-have procedure that allows the pet to look good and avoid skin problems. If there is no desire to engage in such care, or there is no opportunity to seek the help of veterinarians, then it is better to give preference to less demanding breeds in the care.