Thai Ridgeback is a representative of the most ancient native breed, which was accepted by the world community only recently. Connoisseurs of these dogs call them mah-tai or shortly - TRD. Like other types of Ridgebacks - Rhodesian and Fukuok, the Thais have a characteristic feature - the ridge, a crest located along the spine. In our country ridgebacks of any kind are a real exotic, which further stimulates interest in this unusual breed. What do you need to know the owners who decided to have such a pet?
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы тайский риджбек 2. Description of the Thai Ridgeback breed
- Темперамент и характерные черты 3. Temperament and characteristics
- Воспитание и дрессировка 4. Education and training
- Уход 5. Care
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Особенности кормления 7. Peculiarities of feeding
- Правила содержания 8. Content Rules
- Фото тайского риджбека 9. Photo of Thai Ridgeback
- Видео о тайском риджбеке 10. Video about Thai Ridgeback
- Приобретение щенка 11. Purchasing a puppy
Origin of the breed
Thai Ridgebacks have appeared so long ago that scientists can not accurately determine the age of the breed, suggesting that they are 3000-4000 years old. It is to this period that the drawings depicting their ancestors, found in the south-eastern part of Asia.
The first written description of the dogs, similar to the modern TRD, found in manuscripts of the state, once located on the lands of modern Thailand. But the time of the appearance of the Thai Ridgebacks and the genuine origin of the breed is still covered with the darkness of secrecy.
In the world there are two more breeds, whose representatives also have a crest on their back - a Rhodesian ridgeback from Africa and a ridgeback from the Vietnamese island of Fukuok. But there was no documented evidence that these rocks once crossed. In addition, geneticists have shown similarity in the hereditary relationships of these breeds, so the version of parallel mutations also had to be rejected.
Thais once acted as hunters, later became accompanying for the nobility. Today in their homeland they are used as watchmen, in Russia such pets often become companions. The breed has become widespread, and Thai Ridgebacks can be found, albeit not often, in different countries. But even in 2002, even at the home of registered individuals, there were less than 400.
Description of breed Thai ridgeback
Isolation of the habitat of this breed allowed to preserve the appearance of dogs for many centuries. Natural selection affected the immunity of individuals, only the strongest and strongest survived. Today's Mach Tai practically does not differ from individuals that existed many centuries ago. It is a muscular, hardy, strong dog of medium size. Its feature is incredible jumping.
When assessing a dog, it is important proportionality of the build. The growth of males varies from 53.5 to 63.5 cm, weight - from 23 to 34 kg; bitches - from 48.5 to 58.5 cm, weigh from 16 to 25 kg. The standard describes the representatives of the breed as follows:
- Head like a wolf, with a practically flat forehead, rounded and sloping on the sides. Stop is well pronounced, but smooth. When the dog works or focuses, creases appear in the forehead in the form of a "chubby" and eyebrows, animating the dog's facial expressions.
- The dorsum of the nose is straight, somewhat narrowed to the nose. The end of the U-shaped, lower jaw is powerful enough, strong.
- The cheek arches are well defined, the area under the eye sockets is filled, the cheeks are flattened. Lips tightly fitting, pigmented in black, cover the teeth, and do not form "pockets". The Thais have a full dentition, forming a scissor bite.
- Nose is oval, rather small, large nostrils. Should be painted in black shade, regardless of the color of the coat.
- Eyes small, harmoniously spaced, oval in shape. The iris is saturated in brown, but in individuals with a lighter color, amber shades are permissible.
- The ears are very mobile, natural, in the form of triangles, with sharp tips. Are located low, slightly inclined to the muzzle.
- The torso is slightly stretched, the neck is not long. The withers are well pronounced, mostly in males. The sternum is well developed, the ribs are elongated. The inguinal and ventral lines are well-taut.
- The limbs are muscular, straight, with well developed hocks. The corners of the joints are natural, strong and clearly expressed. Forearms are straight, thighs are elongated and strong.
- Brushes large, with tightly collected fingers and strong, densely pigmented pads.
- The tail has a length reaching the hocks, elastic, thick at the base, and tapering towards the end. In a calm state it is located low, in an upright position or in the form of a saber.
- In the standard there are no strict instructions as to what form the comb should be and how many crowns to have, the basic requirement is its symmetry.
Wool and colors
Thai ridgebacks have a smooth, short coat, but it is different from the woolen covers of other dogs. It can be as standard or very short - 1-2 mm in length. The basis - the outer hair, may look dull or glossy.
The standard set 4 colors of individuals:
- Red - occurs more often than others, the shade can range from a saturated bordeaux to a light-red. The color is devoid of transitions, it can be slightly lighter in the region of the hips and abdomen. The main property is the redhead, which is not in deer color.
- Black - it can be blue-black or have a brown, brown or olive tide. It is desirable for its uniform distribution throughout the trunk. Since black color when knitting is able to drown out other colors, so breeders do not consider it popular.
- Blue - varies from gentle, gray-smoky to saturated dark gray shades. In individuals with such color, the skin has a gray or bluish tinge. Puppies having light or white spots on the chest are discarded.
- Deer (Isabellus) - this palette includes pink, cream shades, tones of cocoa, boiled condensed milk, a tea rose. The wool of such dogs poured like a pearl.
Temperament and characteristic features
Representatives of the breed are independent, unobtrusive and tactful dogs, whose behavior is much like a cat's. To outsiders, Mah Tai are treated with suspicion, they do not like to be touched and stroked. From aggressive, cocky dogs, excellent guards are obtained, barking strangers.
Thais have excellent hearing and sight, these are dexterous, graceful, courageous dogs. They are resourceful, resourceful, have a good memory and love to observe the events taking place around them. Such a pet can imitate the owner, adjust to his life rhythm, which makes Ridgeback a good companion.
At home, a Thai man finds a common language with other dogs and can even contact cats. But during the day walking can chase after the running animal - a cat, a rodent, a bird. To themselves, they are loyal in the streets, they will not attack without any reason, but they will not tolerate aggression either.
Thai Ridgeback is an excellent option for families with children, the dog loves to play, fiddle with the kids, and the older child will be interested in such a companion. The dog is very patient, to small owners, she forgives any pranks and does not even snap.
To get a puppy of this breed is not recommended for people with evil, with an unbalanced psyche. Thais have a complex character, they are freedom-loving, arrogant and stubborn individuals are found. The owner will have to have patience, with love and understanding to treat this feature of a four-legged friend.
In this case, the dogs are caring for their family members, especially those who care for them and live in the same house. They are territorial animals, they feel confident in their home environment and do not like to leave their familiar, cozy place. Like cats, these dogs do not like water, and even walking in rainy weather will cause a feeling of discomfort in the pet.
The dog is peculiar to people who are not part of the family. Some guests can accept favorably, others can not tolerate the spirit.
Education and training
Such a pet is smart, has his own opinion and is able to make an independent decision. It can not be treated rudely or with disdain. Therefore, in order for the dog to perform the commands, it is necessary to use encouragement - caress, benevolent tone, goodies.
It is important for the owner to become a leader for the dog, a leader with unquestioned authority. Only after learning that the owner is the master, the animal will obey. As soon as the puppy crossed the threshold of the house, immediately it is necessary to engage in his upbringing. It is necessary to put emphasis on what behavior is unacceptable, otherwise it will be impossible to do this when the pet grows up.
Because of their willfulness and obstinacy, Thai Ridgebacks are difficult to train, puppies require early socialization. Unskilled pets often become the leaders of the pack, subordinating all members of the family. In this case, it is impossible to make him live according to established rules.
The pet should be able to communicate with relatives and go out into the light. It is recommended to display it on special grounds, in parks, it is desirable that there should be a company of constant companions, possessing good manners.
The owner must constantly emphasize his superiority:
- first enter the doors;
- Feed the pet only after all the family members ate;
- never treat your pet from your own table;
- even if the dog is allowed to be on the couch, next to the owner, he should not do this without a person.
If the dog is properly educated, it does not pose a threat to others and can accompany the owner everywhere.
The established rules should be followed strictly and do not indulge the pet indulgence, as among the Thais often there are individuals with unstable psyche and wild habits. Such primitive behavior can be corrected by setting clear boundaries of the hierarchy.
Without socialization and education, a Thai can be dangerous, there are a number of recorded cases when dogs of this breed attacked people and even children.
The coat of Mah Tayev does not require complex maintenance - it is enough to treat it weekly with a special brush. Bathing these pets is rare - 1-2 times a year, with minor contamination of the pet can be wiped with a damp cloth, after walking - it is necessary to wash the paws. And since dogs of this breed do not like water, it is necessary to accustom a pet to these procedures from puppyhood.
Claws should be cut once every 10-14 days, the ears should be inspected regularly to detect inflammation and remove contaminants. Teeth Ridgebacks are cleaned 1-2 times a week, this will protect them from the formation of plaque, tartar and the appearance of an unpleasant smell. Ridgebacks are active dogs, they need long walks with games and activities.
The average life expectancy of representatives of this native breed is 12-13 years. Natural selection contributed to the health of the Thais, but the "exterior" breeding still made its own adjustments in the form of more spectacular appearance and transmission of hereditary diseases:
- dysplasia of the hip joints;
- dermoid sinus.
Dogs with velor wool, most often suffer from dermatological diseases. But this pathology does not arise with proper care for the coat. It is important to feed the pet with quality products, otherwise the risks of digestive disorders are high.
Another nuance - Thais are not adapted to living in northern regions with severe winters. They often catch cold, which means that it is necessary to wear a pet during winter walks and shorten their duration.
Features of feeding
The owner has two options: to choose a suitable dry food super-premium class, or to prepare a balanced food from natural products. It should be borne in mind that dogs of this breed are not leper, but eating unsuitable food will negatively affect the health of a four-legged friend.
In his bowl should fall into the following products:
- low-fat meat in raw form;
- boiled fish, offal;
- cereals in the form of rice, buckwheat, oatmeal, corn porridge, cooked on water or broth;
- vegetables - raw, boiled, steam;
- sour-milk products - it is enough 2 times a week to give cottage cheese, kefir or curdled milk.
Give the dog enough food 2 times a week, always adhering to the feeding regime. It is mandatory to fill the lack of vitamins, taking vitamin-mineral complexes, individually selected by a veterinarian.
Thai Ridgeback is an exclusively residential option. The dog is clean, almost odorless and weakly sheds. It is necessary to provide the dog with suitable clothes - warmed winter and protecting from rains during the off-season. Walk with the dog twice a day, the minimum duration of walking is 1-1.5 hours.
Photo of Thai Ridgeback
Video about Thai Ridgeback
Purchasing a puppy
Thai Ridgeback refers to expensive and rare breeds. The average price of Thais is 90,000 rubles. In addition, the high price is due to the high costs of preparing and carrying matings.
Naturally, it is desirable to acquire a pet from experienced breeders and in the nursery, where they seriously concern the selection of individuals suitable for breeding - without the defects of the exterior and the deviations of the psyche.
Thai Ridgeback is not a dog for everyone, and it's not just a financial component. In addition to funds, the owner needs to have a solid character, free time, be patient and attentive to his exotic four-footed friend.