Thai Ridgeback is a representative of the most ancient aboriginal breed, which was recently adopted by the world community. Connoisseurs of these dogs call them max-tai or shortly TRD. Like other species of ridgebacks - Rhodesian and Phu Quoc, the Thais have a characteristic feature - ridge, crest, located along the spine. In our country, ridgebacks of any variety are truly exotic, which further stirs interest in this unusual breed. What you need to know the owners, who decided to have such a pet?
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы тайский риджбек 2. Description of the breed Thai ridgeback
- Темперамент и характерные черты 3. Temperament and characteristics
- Воспитание и дрессировка 4. Education and training
- Уход 5. Care
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Особенности кормления 7. Features of feeding
- Правила содержания 8. Rules of the maintenance
- Фото тайского риджбека 9. Photo Thai Ridgeback
- Видео о тайском риджбеке 10. Video about Thai ridgeback
- Приобретение щенка 11. Buying a puppy
Thai ridgebacks appeared so long ago that scientists can not accurately determine the age of the breed, suggesting that they are 3000-4000 years old. It is from this period that drawings depicting their ancestors, found in the south-eastern part of Asia, belong.
The first written description of dogs similar to modern TRDs is found in the manuscripts of the state that was once located on the lands of modern Thailand. But the time of the appearance of Thai ridgebacks and the authentic origin of the breed is still covered with the darkness of mystery.
There are two more breeds in the world, representatives of which also possess a crest on the back - the Rhodesian Ridgeback from Africa and the Ridgeback from the Vietnamese island Phu Quoc. But no documented evidence that once these rocks intersected was found. In addition, genetics revealed similarities in the hereditary relationships of these breeds, so the version of parallel mutations also had to be rejected.
Thais once played the role of hunters, and later became accompanying for the nobility. Today, in their homeland, they are used as watchmen, in Russia such pets are more likely to become companions. The breed has become widespread, and Thai Ridgebacks can be found, though not often, in various countries. But back in 2002, even at home, there were fewer than 400 registered individuals.
Description of breed Thai Ridgeback
The isolation of the habitat of this breed allowed to preserve the appearance of dogs for many centuries. Natural selection affected the immunity of individuals, only the strongest and strongest survived. Today's Mah Tai is practically no different from individuals that existed many centuries ago. This is a muscular, hardy, strong dog of medium size. His feature is incredible jumping ability.
When assessing a dog, proportionality is important. Growing males varies from 53.5 to 63.5 cm, weight - from 23 to 34 kg; bitches - from 48.5 to 58.5 cm, weigh from 16 to 25 kg. The standard describes members of the breed as follows:
- A wolf-like head , with an almost flat forehead, rounded and sloping on the sides. Stop well pronounced, but smooth. When the dog is working or concentrating, wrinkles form in the form of a “fur coat” and eyebrows that enliven the dog’s facial expression.
- The back of the nose is straight, somewhat narrowed to the nose. The end of the U-shaped, lower jaw - quite powerful, strong.
- The zygomatic arches are well-defined, the area under the sockets is filled, the cheeks are flattened. The lips are tight, pigmented by black color, cover the teeth, while not forming "pockets". The Thais have a complete dentition, forming a scissors bite.
- Nose is oval, rather small, large nostrils. It should be painted in a black shade, regardless of coat color.
- The eyes are small, harmoniously spaced, oval-shaped. The iris is a rich brown, but in individuals with a lighter coloration, shades of amber are permissible.
- Auricles - very mobile, natural, in the form of triangles, with sharp tips. They are low, slightly inclined to the muzzle.
- The body format is slightly elongated, the neck is not long. Withers are well defined, more so in males. Sternum well developed, ribs elongated. The inguinal and abdominal lines are well tucked up.
- The limbs are muscular, straight, with well-developed hocks. The angles of the joints are natural, strong and distinct. The forearms are straight, the thighs are elongated and strong.
- The hands are large, with tightly assembled fingers and strong, densely pigmented pads.
- The tail has a length reaching the hock, elastic, thick at the base, and tapering towards the end. In a quiet state, it is low, upright or in the form of a saber.
- The standard does not have strict guidelines as to what shape the comb should have and how many crowns to have, the main requirement is its symmetry.
Wool and colors
Thai Ridgebacks have a smooth, short coat, but it is different from the coat of other dogs. It can be both standard and very short - 1-2 mm in length. Basis - guard hair, may look dull or glossy.
Standard set 4 color individuals:
- Red - is more common, the shade can vary from rich Bordeaux to light red. The color is devoid of transitions, maybe a little lighter in the hips and abdomen. The main property - redhead, which is not in the color of deer.
- Black - it can be bluish-black or brown, brown or olive. It is desirable to spread it evenly throughout the body. Since black when knitting is able to drown out other colors, so breeders do not consider it popular.
- Blue - varies from gentle, gray-smoky to rich dark gray shades. In individuals with such color skin has a grayish or bluish tint. Puppies with light or white spots on the chest are rejected.
- Oleniy (isabella) - this palette includes pink, cream shades, cocoa tones, boiled condensed milk, tea rose. The wool of such dogs shimmers like pearl.
Temperament and characteristics
Representatives of the breed are independent, unobtrusive and tactful dogs, whose behavior is in many respects similar to cat's. They treat Makh Tai strangers with caution; they do not like them to touch and stroke them. From aggressive, snooty males get excellent guards, baring at strangers.
Thais have excellent hearing and sight, they are agile, graceful, courageous dogs. They are resourceful, resourceful, have a good memory and love to watch events happening around. Such a pet can imitate a host, adapt to its life rhythm, which makes a good companion from a ridgeback.
At home, the Thai find common ground with other dogs and can even contact with cats. But during the walking he can chase after a running animal - a cat, a rodent, a bird. They treat themselves similarly on the streets loyally, they will not attack without reason, but they will not tolerate aggression either.
Thai Ridgeback is a great option for families with children, the dog loves to play, mess with the kids, and an older child will be interested with such a companion. The dog is very patient, the little owners forgive any pranks and will not even snap.
To breed a puppy of this breed is not recommended for people who are evil, with an unbalanced psyche. Thais have a difficult character, they are freedom-loving, there are arrogant and stubborn individuals. The owner will have to be patient, with love and understanding to treat this particular four-legged friend.
In this case, the dogs carefully treat their family members, especially those who care for them and live in the same house. They are territorial animals, they feel confident at home and do not like to leave their usual, cozy place. Like cats, these dogs do not like water, and even a walk in rainy weather will cause a pet's discomfort.
The dog is peculiar to people outside the family. Some guests can be accepted favorably, others can not be tolerated.
Upbringing and training
Such a pet is smart, has its own opinion and is able to make an independent decision. It should not be treated rudely or with disdain. Therefore, in order for the dog to carry out the commands, it is necessary to use incentives - affection, a friendly tone, delicacies.
It is important for the owner to become a leader for the dog with an unquestioned authority. Only having learned that the owner is the main, the animal will obey. As soon as the puppy crossed the threshold of the house, immediately should be engaged in his education. It is necessary to place accents on what behavior is unacceptable, otherwise it will be impossible to do this when the pet grows up.
Due to self-will and stubbornness, Thai Ridgebacks are difficult to train, puppies need early socialization. Uneducated pets often become leaders of the pack, subordinating all family members. In this case, it is impossible to make him live according to the established rules.
The pet should be able to communicate with congeners and go "in the light." It is recommended to bring it to special sites, to parks, it is desirable that there should be a company of regular comrades with good manners.
The owner must constantly emphasize his superiority:
- first to enter the door;
- feed the pet only after all family members have eaten;
- never treat your pet from your own table;
- even if the dog is allowed to be on the sofa, next to the owner, he should not do this without a person.
If the dog is brought up correctly, it does not pose a threat to others and can accompany the owner everywhere.
The established rules must be followed strictly and do not make pet concessions, since among Thais there are often individuals with unstable psyche and wild habits. Such primitive behavior can be corrected by setting clear boundaries on the hierarchy.
Without socialization and education, the Thai can be dangerous, there are a number of recorded cases when dogs of this breed attacked people and even children.
Coat Makh Tayev does not require complex care - it is enough to process it weekly with a special brush. They rarely bathe such pets - 1-2 times a year, with minor contaminations a pet can be wiped with a damp cloth, after walking - it is imperative to wash the paws. And since the dogs of this breed dislike water, it is necessary to teach your pet to these procedures from puppyhood.
The claws should be trimmed every 10-14 days, the ears should be inspected regularly to identify inflammatory processes and remove dirt. Ridgeback teeth are cleaned 1-2 times a week, this will protect them from the formation of plaque, tartar and the appearance of an unpleasant odor. Ridgebacks are active dogs, they need long walks with games and activities.
The average life expectancy of representatives of this indigenous breed is 12-13 years. Natural selection contributed to improving the health of the Thais, but the "exterior" breeding still made its adjustments in the form of a more spectacular appearance and transmission of hereditary diseases:
- hip dysplasia;
- dermoid sinus.
Dogs with velor hair, most often suffer from dermatological diseases. But this pathology does not occur with proper care of the coat. It is important to feed your pet with quality products, otherwise the risks of developing digestive disorders are high.
Another nuance - Thais are not adapted to living in the northern regions with harsh winters. They often catch cold, which means that it is necessary to dress a pet during winter walking and reduce their duration.
The owner has two options: choose a suitable super-premium dry food, or prepare balanced food from natural products. It should be borne in mind that dogs of this breed are not picky, but eating unsuitable food will negatively affect the health of the four-legged friend.
The following products should fall into its bowl:
- lean meat in raw form;
- boiled fish, offal;
- cereals in the form of rice, buckwheat, oatmeal, corn porridge, boiled in water or broth;
- vegetables - raw, boiled, steam;
- fermented milk products - it is enough to give cottage cheese, kefir or yogurt 2 times a week.
It is enough to give food to the dog 2 times a week, necessarily adhering to the feeding regimen. It is imperative to fill in the deficiency of vitamins by taking vitamin and mineral complexes, selected individually by the veterinarian.
Thai Ridgeback is an exclusively flat version. The dog is clean, almost odorless and little shedding. It is necessary to provide the dog with suitable clothing - insulated winter and protecting against rain in the offseason. Walk with the dog twice a day, the minimum duration of the walk is 1-1.5 hours.
Photos of Thai Ridgeback
Video about Thai ridgeback
Buying a puppy
Thai ridgeback refers to expensive and rare breeds. The average price of Thais is 90,000 rubles. In addition, the high price is due to the high costs of preparing and carrying out mating.
Naturally, it is desirable to acquire a pet from experienced breeders and in the nursery, where they are serious about the selection of individuals suitable for breeding - without exterior defects and mental abnormalities.
Thai ridgeback dog is not for everyone, and it's not just the financial component. In addition to the means, the owner must have a strong character, free time, be patient and attentive to his exotic four-legged friend.