Modern owners of pets tend to prefer dry dog food. This kind of food is gaining popularity. What is the reason for this trend, is it worth to believe advertising and how in a large number of brands to choose the most suitable food for your four-legged friend?
- Сухие корма: достоинства и недостатки 1. Dry food: advantages and disadvantages
- Три класса сухих кормов для собак 2. Three classes of dry dog food
- Шестерка лучших сухих кормов для собак 3. Six best dry dog food
- Отзывы владельцев о сухих кормах для собак 4. Reviews of owners about dry food for dogs
Dry food: advantages and disadvantages
Owners of dogs divided into two camps - the first two hands "for" production feeds, and the second believes that this food is not suitable for their pet. It is difficult to decide who is right, but you can consider the positive and negative aspects of ready-made diets:
The main advantages include:
- Quality feed includes an optimal ratio of protein, fat and carbohydrate elements.
- You can buy a product that is suitable for age, complexion, health characteristics, etc.
- Feeding on dry food, the pet simultaneously performs the prevention of tartar.
- Manufacturers have already calculated the daily portion of food, the owner can only adapt it to the weight of the dog.
- Super foods contain useful micro and macro elements.
Huge pluses for the owners - dry food is perfectly stored, does not require cooking and a bowl of the pet is always clean.
The disadvantages are the following:
- Feeds that are classified as premium are not cheap.
- When feeding such food, it is necessary to take care of the round-the-clock access of the pet to clean water.
- Sometimes owners face difficulties in selecting the most suitable food, in this case it is better to consult with experienced breeders and a veterinarian.
But from which point do you go to the selection of feeds and how do they differ?
Three classes of dry dog food
Food for people is different in quality, the same happens with pet food. There are several categories of ready-made diets that differ in price and composition:
- Dry food. Economy class. Packages with a similar product can be purchased in any supermarket, their advertising is often flashed on TV. These feeds, for the most part, contain poor quality raw materials, and the meat portion is contained in the minority. As such, there is no meat in them, it is replaced by meat and bone meal and by-products. The basis is the vegetable components - cereals and soy. Some experts compare this food with instant noodles - it allows the animal to get enough, but the benefits are very doubtful.
- Dry food Premium-class. This food consists of better products, meat components - meat, offal, account for about 30%. Such food is well absorbed, it is balanced and, judging by its composition, does not contain harmful substances. The price at the feed is acceptable. But some manufacturers still add flavor enhancers, therefore for feeding puppies it is still recommended to feed the highest category - super-premium.
- Dry feed Super premium class. The best food for dogs, consisting of products of the highest quality. They contain biologically valuable components, exclusively meat - no bones or offal. The composition also can be found fish, cereals of superior quality, unique plant components. In this category, you can choose food for dogs with certain health problems - low immunity, allergies , diabetes , etc.
Feeds from the premium and super premium categories are sold exclusively in specialized stores.
Six best dry dog food
To facilitate the task in the selection of finished products, there is a certain rating of dry dog food, compiled, based on the quality of the product and feedback from experts.
This category includes the best brands of feeds, differing in all components - balance, nutritional value and calorific value, and digestibility. Due to the unique composition, the daily norm of such food is very low. Feeds of such a plan are recommended for weakened, elderly animals, as well as dogs with health problems.
According to the rating, this group includes the following feeds:
- Go Natural Grain Free Endurance (Canada);
- Happy Dog Supreme Junior. (Germany);
- Happy Dog Supreme Fit & Well. (Germany);
- Happy Dog Supreme Sensible. (Germany);
- Innova EVO Small Bites (USA);
- Innova EVO Red Meat Large Bites (USA);
- Innova EVO Red Meat Small Bites (USA);
- Artemis Fresh Mix Maximal Dog (USA).
Products of fairly good quality, however, with some inconsistencies to the highest standards:
- Happy Dog Natur Croq. (Germany);
- Happy Dog Natur Flocken. (Germany);
- Happy Dog Profi-Line Basic 23 / 9,5 (Germany);
- Acana Grasslands (Canada);
- Acana Pacifica (Canada);
- Acana Prairie Harvest (Canada);
- Eagle Pack Pet Foods (USA).
Good food, but the ratio of meat and vegetable parts do not allow them to be classified as the highest category. The price is slightly lower than the above, but the daily dosage is somewhat higher. These include:
- BiOMill (Switzerland);
- Pro Plan (France);
- Pro Pac (USA);
- Royal Canin (Russia);
- Leonardo (Germany);
- Nutra Gold (USA);
- Belcando (Germany).
This is a low-protein, low-cost food. The quality is not high, it includes an incomplete set of vitamins, the ratio of components is not maintained.
Despite the similar quality, the fodder of some brands of this category have a fairly high cost. There are many of them, but it is worth noting the most famous:
- Hill's (Czech Republic, United States, Holland);
- Nutro Choice (USA);
- Alders (Germany);
- Gimpet (Germany);
- Purina (France);
- Eukanuba (Holland, USA);
- Sheba (Thailand).
The product is of low quality, produced solely from by-products and cereals with the addition of soy, which the digestive system of dogs does not tolerate. Naturally, with this nutrition, the animal needs an additional source of vitamins and microelements. If a healthy adult animal digests such a food, older dogs, as well as puppies and sick animals, are contraindicated.
In this category there are forages of the following brands:
- Clauder's (Germany);
- Oscar (Denmark, Russia);
- Meal (Russia, Denmark);
- Friskies (Russia);
- Vaska (Russia);
- 1st Choice (Canada)
- Max (Russia).
Roughly speaking, the feed of this category consists of wastes of meat production - guts, bone residue, veins and other is recycled. And the meat component in the feed is only 4-5%, the rest of the vegetable raw materials are not of the best quality:
- Pedigree (Russia);
- Chappi (Russia);
- Darling (Hungary, France);
- ARO (Ukraine).
Industrial food is produced a lot, and not always the price corresponds to quality, so before choosing it is recommended to consult with professionals to make a worthy choice. After all, the right food is the health and longevity of your pet, its good health and excellent mood.
- how to transfer the dog to dry food ;
- dry food for large dogs ;
- dry food for small dogs ;
- how much dry food to give to the dog .
Reviews of owners about dry food for dogs
And what do the experienced dog owners and beginners say about the choice of food?
Elizaveta Markova, Simferopol: I translated not long ago my doggies from medium-sized feed to Innova. I was recommended by his veterinarian, as my animals began to drop hair. There are several positive moments - there is no grain in the stern, mainly it consists of meat. Dogs are appreciated - within a month and a half the condition of the coat has improved, there are no problems with the stool, and the vitamins that I had before given courses now do not need anything - Innova has everything that is needed. By cons, I can only include one, not all specialized stores will buy it, I take it through the online store.
Nikolay Lesnoy, Saratov: When I took a puppy of a German shepherd in a nursery, I recommended the German feed Happy Dog, since the dog was already grown up - 4 months old and for a time was fed only by him. At first the price surprised - a little expensive, but then I appreciated its merits. Fodder on meat, so the dog eats a small amount, but it weighs a lot and likes to eat. No health problems, the toilet - by the hour, the activity of the dog "off scale", the shine is shiny - it's a pity, I do not show it. Moreover, the same feed is used as a treat for training - goes on hurray.
Yuri Popov, Moscow: My wife took the original dog, the Chinese crested dog. Not only is it not very suitable for our climate - it freezes, and it turns out that it suffers from food allergy. Wetted with the selection of food, because natural food in general was not an option. Thank you, the kind people prompted to take Akana, supposedly it is suitable for allergic people and dogs with a sensitive stomach. And indeed, not immediately, of course, but the condition of the dog has improved. The skin became clean, from eyes ceased to flow and what is still important - the chair was normalized. Now we do not experiment, we feed only Akana.
What is the best food to buy, to solve the owner, based on their wishes, preferences and financial opportunities.