Our beloved pets - dogs, like people, are exposed to various diseases and pathological conditions. Among the many ailments owners face such, in general, often a phenomenon, like cramps in a dog. These manifestations can be quite scary outwardly and scare people away at a time when pets, as never before, need the active action of the owners. What can the cramps in the pet show, and most importantly, how not to get lost and help the pet?
The causes of convulsions
Most people in this situation can get confused and panic. And no wonder, because the animal suddenly falls, convulsively shudders, its legs involuntarily twitch. The sight is not for the faint-hearted. In such a situation, even a dog with experience can react incorrectly. But in this case, panic is not the best solution, only the concentration and speed of reactions will help in an emergency situation. What is necessary to undertake and what can cause the seizures in the dog?
First of all, it is worthwhile to clarify that convulsions are paroxysmic muscle contractions that occur involuntarily. They are a symptom of a disease. Among the ailments accompanied by a similar condition, we can distinguish the following:
- Epilepsy. This is the most common cause of sudden contraction of muscle tissue. Epilepsy refers to severe dangerous ailments characterized by impaired brain activity. The disease can be congenital (inherited). In addition, it is often a consequence of head injuries, a sign of development of a tumor in the brain, or signals the presence of an inflammatory process. There are a number of breeds that are more prone to epileptic seizures than most, most often large animals with long hair. Also, statistics indicate that males have convulsive contractions more often than females.
- Hypoglycemia is another disease that can cause seizures. The main symptoms of hypoglycemia in humans and animals include a lowered level of glucose in the blood. Often during the course of the disease, metabolic processes of the body are violated, which leads to disruption of the kidneys and liver of the dog. Seizures caused by hypoglycemia are more common in representatives of small breeds, as well as in young animals, whose immature body is not yet fully formed. Often, this disease is hereditary, so when choosing the future parent of the offspring or his own four-legged friend, it is necessary to look at the certificate, which refers to the state of health, including hereditary ailments available to the dog.
- Eclampsia . In this disease, the animal has a sharp drop in the level of calcium. At risk are pets of dwarfish breeds, newborn puppies and females in the period of gestation. Calcium is an important element in the body, it affects the formation of the bone corset of the animal, promotes normal blood coagulation and not only. But in this case, its lack provokes a regular uncontrolled contraction of muscle tissue.
- Diseases of an infectious nature. Seizures can be a sign of infection of various origins, including viral infection. Among them, rabies is especially dangerous, which is transmitted to dogs through the mucous membranes through contact. If the pet communicated with the infected animal, then the risk of catching rabies is very high. Fungal and bacterial infections, penetrating the dog's body, can also trigger muscle spasms. Among them, peritonitis of infectious etiology and toxoplasmosis are especially severe.
- Intoxication of the body and the development of inflammatory processes of an infectious nature can also be the cause of muscle spasms.
Read also :
Types of seizures in dogs
The nature of the seizures depends on what they are caused. When applying to the veterinary service, it is necessary, as accurately as possible to describe the nature of muscle contractions, this will help to find out the cause of their contraction more quickly and prescribe an effective therapy. Seizures are divided into several types and between them there are certain differences:
- Convulsions - weak muscle contraction, similar to twitching, repeated periodically. This type of seizures is quite common and there are many reasons for this condition. During a convulsive state, the pet does not lose consciousness, responds to the voice of the host and attempts to execute commands.
- Tonic convulsions are not such a dangerous form of muscle contractions, signaling a malfunction in the activity of the dog's body. Tonic spasm lasts not for long, but is constant - muscles slowly shudder after a certain period of time. The pet is conscious throughout the whole cramp, feels muscular pain, as a result of which the dog can howl , whine , be frightened and very nervous.
- Clonic convulsions - this muscle contraction alternates with relaxation, the interval between them can last from 30 to 120 seconds. At this time, the pet gets up, tries to move, but as soon as the attack comes, the dog falls on its side, as uncontrollable muscle contraction occurs again.
- Epileptic seizure is the most dangerous type of seizures, which has negative consequences. A pet that has undergone a seizure is unconscious, muscle tissues are constantly in tension, relaxation takes only a few seconds. Often during an epileptic fit in a dog, the eyes remain open, which further frightens others and causes confusion to the owners.
Whatever the cause of muscle contractions, and whatever kind they are, the owners need to know what to do in such cases, because often the life of their beloved friend depends on this.
How to deal with cramps in a pet
If the dog is overtaken by a spasm, the most important thing that is required from the owner is to deliver the pet as quickly as possible to the veterinary clinic. Only in clinical settings can the cause of seizures in the dog be determined as precisely as possible and the treatment is prescribed.
Before this happens, you can slightly, but still help the pet:
- First of all, it is necessary to try to open the dog's mouth and drip onto the surface of the tongue a tool that helps to relax and reduce muscle spasm. This may be Corvalol, Valoserdin, Valocardin.
With strong intensive contractions, even try not to open the animal's mouth to give medicine. Most likely, the attempt will not succeed, and a strong pressure can lead to injury to the pet.
- If there is a possibility, then you can measure the temperature of the pet's body so that on arrival you do not spend precious time on these manipulations, but immediately inform the veterinarians the result. However, it is necessary to do this when the dog is in a calm state, but if the cramps are permanent, then it is better not to risk it, because you can break the thermometer and injure the dog.
- With severe epileptic cramps, care should be taken to protect the sick animal, holding it during cramps, to avoid bumps on the floor and surrounding objects. You can move the pet away from sharp corners and hard surfaces.
- During transportation of a sick animal, which has a convulsion, it should be covered with a warm blanket or a coverlet and firmly pressed.
The pet owner needs to pay attention to his condition, memorizing all the details - the nature and duration of muscle contractions, how long the interval between spasms lasts, how the pet behaves during breaks and so on. All these characteristics will be required for specialists to diagnose the condition of the dog and the selection of appropriate means.
When you enter a medical institution, the pet, in most cases, immediately injected with antiallergic drugs, as well as magnesium sulfate. This action helps to eliminate spasms and facilitates the condition of the sick animal. Then a complex diagnosis is carried out with the fence of all necessary analyzes.
From this moment the pet begins to receive qualified help, and after the withdrawal of the attack it depends in many ways on the owner whether the quadruped friend will be able to fully recover. Often continue to treat the pet is at home, and if you do not comply with the prescriptions, the life of the dog may be in jeopardy.
It is necessary to monitor the condition of the sick dog, continue to give the necessary medications, provide peace and proper nutrition - that's what is required from the owner of the dog upon returning home.