If there is a pet in the house - a dog, then in addition to joy, many troubles are added. In addition to walking and feeding, the owners need to take care of the appearance of the dog - grooming or plucking wool. Properly treated dog has an attractive appearance, and, moreover, is protected from many problems with hair and skin. What types of dog haircuts exist, and what breeds can not do without this procedure?
Whether a pet needs to be cut or tweaked depends, to a greater extent, on the quality of its coat. Canine representatives vary in coat type, and there are two classifications:
- on the hardness of the coat - wire-haired and soft-haired pets;
- as much as possible shedding - dogs that have seasonal molting and non-extinct breeds.
Hence the issue of care for hair and haircuts. In addition, the requirements of the standard are important. Soft-haired pets need more cutting, as their hair grows faster.
Wire-haired dogs have their own requirements - mandatory plucking of dead hair. There are also hygienic procedures that are absolutely necessary for all breeds.
Different dog grooming techniques
Not only people, but also dogs, there are model haircuts. Naturally, they depend on the breed and on whether the dog participates in exhibitions or not. In the latter case, a standard haircut with a slope to practicality. For example, poodles become a smaller mane (in the case of a haircut “lion”), as it requires complex care, and the width of the hair on the paws decreases - so they get less dirty. In this case, the cockers do not leave long "skirts" and "pants", facilitating the care of a pet. If the pet "show class" and should shine at exhibitions, then everything is done according to the standard.
Another type of haircut is hygienic, this type of care is necessary for all pets, regardless of breed and hardness of wool. The fur on the face is removed (the beard and the hair around the eyes are cut as necessary), the hairs on the paws are removed between the fingers and pads, in the genital area and the anus.
Dog grooming specialists are groomers, equipped with a mass of tools and possess various techniques to bring a doggie of any breed into proper form. They can use the following techniques:
- Klippervek - short haircut, which is performed by a special machine. It can be carried out by growth of coat or against.
- Fatvek - alignment wool in length. This is a procedure to maintain a coat of the same length in areas that are required by the standard. It is carried out in two ways - with scissors or a typewriter.
- Top notes - haircut, in which different hair accessories are used - rubber bands, hairpins, bows. It is the final stage in the hair of a long-haired pet. This is not always a decorative element, for example, for dogs with wool longer than 10 cm on the head or with bulging eyes, this procedure is obligatory.
- Blending - cutting hair with thinning shears. Manipulation consists in leveling (filing) the border between wool of various lengths. This procedure is final, gives the coat a neat appearance and makes it suitable for the requirements of the standard.
- Show Trim is a whole range of procedures aimed at preparing a pet for exhibitions. It is carried out only by professional groomers who know the standards of most breeds.
Care for tough coat
Non-reinforcing dog breeds with hard wool require trimming , which is not so much an aesthetic procedure as a hygienic one.
Representatives of these breeds have lost the ability to self-molt, so the owners should help the pet get rid of dead hair. You can do this yourself using special tools, or turn to professional services.
Without trimming, a dog often develops irritations on the skin that disturb the pet. Even before shows, a dog without properly treated wool will not be allowed, as the standard indicates mandatory trimming of hard-haired breeds.
In no case can not shear wool instead of trimming, it will change its structure, make it soft, not corresponding to the breed. With timely processing, the procedure will be required at least every six months. In this case, the wool will have a healthy and well-groomed appearance.
If owners decide to trim themselves, then they should know that this is quite a laborious and lengthy process. You can carry out the procedure manually, or using a special knife. In the second case, you need to master the technique of handling tools. Of course, if the pet is to participate in the exhibition, it is still better to contact a specialist.
Groomers use the following techniques to remove dead wool:
- Stripping - (pinching using a knife) - a mechanical process for changing wool, it is also called "artificial molting". Promotes renewal coat pet. After thoroughly scratching, the master performs movements — jerking with a knife-stripping along the growth of the hair, and in no case is it against the wool. A tuft of wool is pressed with a thumb to the sharp part of the knife, which is clamped in the palm of your hand, and then a sharp short movement is carried out. If done correctly, the pet will not feel pain or discomfort.
- Plaking is a more labor-intensive manual method. Pinch is carried out with two fingers - index and big.
To make sure that the dog needs trimming, it is enough to grab a tuft of wool with your fingers and pull it towards you. If the wool without special pressure remains in the hands - it means that the dog needs to pluck out the dead hairs.
Read more about grooming .
Haircuts and tweaks of different breeds of dogs
The more spectacular the dog has wool, the more difficult it is to care for it, as they say “beauty requires sacrifice.” But here no victims are needed, it is enough to carry out special procedures and to observe the framework of the standard.
The following breeds have special requirements:
- Cocker Spaniel There are two types of Cocker haircuts - full and partial (hygienic). Given that this breed very quickly grows hair on the paws, in the area of the tail and ears, hygienic haircut or pinch is required every 2-3 weeks. If you do not tweak the hairs in these areas, they can cause irritation of the skin. In addition, the pet will suffer, so the appearance of the Cocker will be untidy and unkempt. Cocker Spaniels need to carry out the hygienic treatment of wool already from 2 months of age. For spaniels, there are no special haircuts, there are techniques for processing individual parts of the body - cutting the head, limbs, neck and tail.
- Griffin The original and not very common breed. There are two types of griffins - wire-haired, having not very long, but tough, wire-like wool, and dogs with a smooth, straight, adjacent to the body coat. The wire-haired griffins have a design for the face with sideburns, a beard, eyebrows and there is a pronounced mustache. Smooth-haired dogs have a need for frequent haircuts, as their wool grows quickly. Hard-haired griffins need regular plucking of dead hair.
- The Poodle is the ideal choice for people who are allergic to wool, as this breed does not shed on its own and does not have an undercoat. Puppies are not sheared, but adult poodles need regular trimming several times a year. The hairstyle of a poodle is not only beautiful appearance or a tribute to fashion. Short treatment of limbs provides the dog ease of movement on land and in water. The mane on the chest - protection of the pet from hypothermia, the pom-pom on the tip of the tail - does not allow injections of prickly plants.
- Pekingese . Dogs whose wool grows at an incredible speed, therefore, a pet needs to be cut with a special machine intended for thick coat, every 1-2 months. Of course, this is not only maintaining a spectacular appearance, but also preventing the wool from sticking into mats, alleviating the condition of the pet during the heat, and avoiding the problems of paddocks during the rainy season and humidity. There are several types of Pekingese haircuts, but the classical model is most often used - careful cutting of the face, long hair left in the ear, equal length of coat on the extremities, in the abdomen and back, tail - fluffy.
This is not the whole list of species that require special care. Before you buy a pet that needs regular procedures with wool, you should evaluate your strengths and capabilities. The owners have a choice - to master the techniques of haircuts and tweaks on their own, or to contact groomers.
Beautiful and neat should be any dog, regardless of whether it participates in exhibitions or not.