Staphylococcus in dogs - a bacterium that is always in the canine body, but it is in a latent state. If the immune system of the animal is fully functioning, then it does not allow to develop an infectious disease. However, in the summer, the risk of developing staphylococcus sharply increases. This is due to the greater activity of the pet - its walks become longer, the dogs are more in contact with each other. And the disease can occur even in pets, which are kept in ideal conditions, regularly vaccinated and well-fed. What is this ailment and is there a way to protect him from him?
- Причины развития у собак стафилококка 1. Causes of Staphylococcus aureus in dogs
- Как распознавать стафилококк у собаки 2. How to recognize staphylococcus a dog
- Лечение стафилококка у собак 3. Staphylococcus treatment in dogs
- О стафилококке на видео 4. About staphylococcus in video
- Предупредительные меры 5. Preventive measures
Causes of Staphylococcus aureus in dogs
Infected with staphylococcal infection the dog can communicate with a sick animal, more often it occurs against the weakening of the immune system. There are two forms of the disease:
- Primary infection - pathogenic bacteria of staphylococcus become sources of the disease.
- Secondary infection - staphylococcus develops on the background of another disease. In this case, the risks of complications increase, and there is a threat of spread of infection in the tissues of internal organs. Often, staphylococcus develops when the animal is infected with mites , fleas .
Naturally, the peculiarities of the animal's organism in many respects influence whether a dog becomes infected with an infection or not. Weak, often sick, elderly pets are always at risk. Among the factors that can be placed on the development of infection are the following:
- diabetes mellitus or high carbohydrate levels in the body;
- deficiency of vitamins , a particular danger is the lack of vitamins of groups A, B and E;
- infection of the renal and hepatic tissues;
- infection with fleas, mites, especially mite demodex ;
- the presence of an allergy in the pet;
- weakening of immunity or instability to this type of pathogens.
Staphylococcus is able to provoke the development of other diseases in the animal.
How to recognize staphylococcus a dog
Symptoms of the disease can be different, among the main manifestations can be noted:
- formation of tuberous suppuration;
- the appearance of inflamed round spots with a crust along the rim, resembling the defeat with ringworm; in this case, there is no fur in the center of the spots.
If you identify the disease at an early stage, then the therapy predictions are favorable. That's why it is important for dog owners to know the symptoms of an infection.
Further development of the infection is accompanied by abundant hair loss, the dog appears large bald patches of skin. Severe itching complicates the animal life, the pet does not sleep well, often wakes up, intensely itches and bites his teeth in the affected skin. When pathogenic bacteria spread deep into the skin, the dog has extremely painful furuncles, which often reach impressive sizes.
Given that staphylococcus is transmitted from dogs to people and most often children and people of advanced age are at risk, it is important to immediately seek medical help.
Often, staphylococcal infection provokes other dermatological diseases:
- Infection of the auricles - accompanied by an unpleasant odor from the ears, purulent secretions; the pet shows anxiety, and in the neglected form of the disease, Bell's paralysis (facial nerve), which has a temporary character, is manifested.
- Pyoderma (purulent skin lesion) - is more often a secondary infection when the dog combs flea bites and wounded get pathogenic infections.
- The manifestation of an allergic reaction - develops when hypersensitivity to the microorganism that causes staphylococcus aureus; accompanied by irritation of the skin and purulent papules.
- Infection of mucous membranes, which leads to the development of such ailments as endometritis or pyometra .
- Inflammation of the ear (otitis) - often provokes infection of the tissues of the inner ear and their erosion, with the course of erosion become ulcers; often a coryza and inflammation of the conjunctiva joins this ailment.
Specific symptoms are different in dogs during the course of Staphylococcus aureus, they are similar to the symptoms of food poisoning . This type of infection often affects young animals, as their body is still growing, and many systems, including the immune system, are not fully formed. The disease is accompanied by vomiting, constantly abundant diarrhea, which can cause severe dehydration. In this case, there is a risk of death.
It is important to monitor the condition of the pet, to limit its communication with stray dogs. At the first symptoms of staphylococcus a veterinary clinic should be visited with a pet.
Staphylococcus treatment in dogs
When you go to the clinic, the pet undergoes a comprehensive diagnosis. The animal takes biomaterials for laboratory sowing and biopsy. Veterinarians often test for allergic reactions and autoimmune diseases. This helps to find out the causes of the disease or the factors that triggered its development.
With staphylococcus a pet is prescribed a course of antihistamines that can eliminate itching and other allergic manifestations, since scratching the skin leads to the appearance of wounds and re-infection. If you do not conduct such therapy, then all treatment can be significantly delayed.
The following preparations for external use will help to relieve the itching: Tribaks, Chlorfillipt. To wash the wounds use Dimexide solution or novocaine compresses.
To eliminate external inflammation, the veterinarian prescribes the use of funds for washing - ointments, gels with antibacterial effect. Often the choice falls on drugs related to the enzymatic group - Lysozyme, Hemotrypsin. Appoints funds that can dry out the foci of the disease - Tanin, Protargol, etc.
Staphylococcal infection involves taking antibiotics. The course can last 21 days, and in cases of neglect of the disease or complications, the reception of this group of funds can be prolonged up to 1.5 months.
In modern veterinary medicine there are several ways to combat staphylococcus, the therapy is selected individually and can include the following:
- Antibiotic therapy. Highly effective in staphylococcus different preparations from the group of quinolones - Baytril, Enroflox, Quinocol, Enrocept, Tsifloks, Ciprinol, etc. To increase the effect of antibiotics , several drugs of different subgroups are assigned at once - at least three names.
- Reception of immunostimulants. Positive results are provided by immunotherapy, after the course the body begins to more actively resist the infectious agent. Sometimes the administration of Antifagin is used, but it is not effective for all types of stalkous bacteria. The drug APS - Staphylococcal polyvalent anatoxin, created specifically for dogs - is highly effective. If the treatment includes passive immunotherapy, then apply hyperimmune serum from the bacterium staphylococcus. This is an effective therapeutic method of the initial stage of the disease or when it appears only on the surface of the skin. In other cases, active immunotherapy is prescribed. Assigning antibiotics and drugs to the dog to stimulate immunity, the veterinarian considers that such drugs can be addictive. To prevent this, after a while the drugs are changed to others, or they determine the threshold of sensitivity of the organism.
- Introduction of a staphylococcal bacteriophage. Bacteriophage is a virus that, when ingested into a sick animal, contributes to the death of Staphylococcal pathogens. This method is quite effective.
It is worth remembering that the infection in each organism behaves differently, that is why it is strictly forbidden to independently treat the pet. What is the competence of the owner of the dog, so this is the application of preventive measures that can prevent the disease of the pet.
About Staphylococcus in video
Elementary rules contribute, if not complete protection of the animal from the disease, then significantly reduce the risks of infection:
- it is worth taking care of the immunity of the dog, providing its diet with nutritious and healthy food, if necessary, giving the animal vitamins - strong immunity is the best protection against all kinds of infections;
- if possible, restrict the contact of the dog with the sick animals, contact with stray cats and dogs is better to exclude altogether;
- it is necessary to vaccinate the dog in time;
- It is recommended that the skin of the animal be inspected regularly; if the pet has folded skin, then it is necessary to move the folds and find out whether there are any lesions or inflammations.
Since it can be a stressful situation to provoke an infection, all sorts of troubles should be avoided. This is especially important for miniature dogs with a weak nervous system.
Any, even minor, skin lesions should be immediately treated with special preparations with antiseptic action.