Most owners of pedigreed dogs sooner or later begin to think about the continuation of the genus of their pet. But is it as simple as it seems? In fact, the mating of dogs is a rather complicated procedure, requiring special preparation and observance of certain rules. If the desire to knit a pet is not lost, then you need to do everything step by step and as follows.
Basic Rules of Dog Breeding
If we talk about dogs "noble" blood, especially those who are on "free" walking , then in this matter there are no difficulties. At thoroughbred representatives this process requires intervention of owners, since selection of the partner.
The basic rules of dog mating include the following:
- You need to know exactly at what age you can knit a dog. The animal is already ripe for a year to continue the genus. Puppies of small breeds reach sexual maturity earlier than large ones. Experienced breeders do not recommend leading on pet mating at the first estrus , because at this age the dog is not fully developed. If you hurry and "untie" the pet before the due date, then it will stop growth and physical development, not reaching the size and exterior for this breed. In addition, early mating may negatively affect not only the physical, but also the mental development of the animal.
- Much depends on the selection of a partner. In order to get a healthy, full-fledged offspring, you need to find the most suitable mate for your friend. It is worth to familiarize in detail with the applicant's genealogy, his health. It is better, if the dogs are from the same breeder, for help you can contact the club of dog breeders.
- For mating it is important that it occurs on a suitable day. This question deserves a separate consideration. But it is worth noting that not all the days of estrus can make knitting dogs.
- A prerequisite is the choice of a place for meeting partners and most mating. Most important is that it is the "bride" who comes to visit the "groom". Otherwise, the dog may become obscure and fail to perform the expected actions. At home he is more relaxed and bold. Also, there are features of training, based on the size of the pets and their temperament.
- Owners of pets should be aware of the intricacies of the process in order to come to the rescue at the right time and not to separate the pair until the end of the mating.
These are the main questions for conducting a successful mating, but not all.
How to properly prepare a bitch for mating
In order to navigate and not miss the time of the second heat, suitable for mating, it is necessary during the first to have a special diary of observations. All informations about the time of the estrus, its duration and the behavior of the dog during this period are recorded there. Knowing the time of one heat, you can approximately calculate the date next.
The most suitable time for mating is the period from 12 to 15 days from the moment the bitch starts to flow. In addition, there are a number of signs that the "bride" is ready:
- she shows interest in the opposite sex and invocatively flirts;
- the dog "loop" becomes soft and increases in size;
- appear uninvolved discharge of a yellowish-pink hue;
- the female takes a suitable posture for a mating, and if you touch the base of the tail or loop, she will take it to the side.
As soon as such signs began to appear, it means that the bitch started ovulation, which lasts about five days. For this period, and have a good time for mating.
But, ideally, the event should be better planned for the second day, so that the probability of receiving a large litter is higher.
Among the features of the heat season, the following can be noted:
- often dogs have short-term discharge, or they are transparent and therefore difficult to detect;
- there are cases when in the period of ovulation in the bitch the loop remains in its original state without softening;
- some bitches during the heat period are aggressive towards males.
This indicates that each pet develops individually.
The dog's consistency will be successful if the time of fertilization is correctly calculated. For these purposes, we need records about the beginning and features of the period when the dog is flowing, otherwise even the most professional veterinarian will not help to calculate the days of ovulation. Before the mating, do not feed the dog, but rather take 15-20 minutes to walk.
How to choose a place for mating
About the place for mating is to take care in advance. In practice, breeders and dog handlers are so established that the binding must necessarily take place in a place familiar to the male. This is done so that the dog does not feel insecurity and fear and is able to perform what is required of him.
If the dog is experienced, it is better to hold meetings in the same place. But if this is impossible and it is necessary to organize a meeting with the female, then this is entirely acceptable. The main thing is that the "chevalier" had the opportunity to stay in a new place, sniff and look around. Usually after this, the dog calms down and begins to feel, if not at home, then quite at peace.
Different breeds of dogs have their own requirements for the place of mating. For pets of small and medium size, you should prepare a separate room in the house or apartment. Large dogs are better to happen in a fenced street territory. In both cases, the place must meet certain standards:
- On the territory there should not be extraneous people and other animals, it is necessary to exclude their sudden appearance;
- The place should be spacious and have a non-slip coating to avoid injuring animals and slipping during the cage.
If the day and the place is chosen, then it remains only to introduce two pets. The male is launched into the new territory first. 10-15 minutes will be enough to make him comfortable. Then you can release the bitch. In most cases, the male does not immediately perform the cage, but shows some signs of attention and courtship.
How dogs are bred
If the pair is experienced, then, most likely, no hitching will occur. But what if the dogs are inexperienced and do not quite understand what is required of them? In this case, the owners need to show skill and help the couple:
- If the bitch is completely ready and took the right rack, then for a better slip, it is necessary to plaster the loop abundantly with a fat hypoallergenic cream or petroleum jelly.
- At the same time, the owner must keep the pet for the collar. And you need another pair of hands to hold the dog under your stomach and direct the "loop" to the penis of the male.
- The male tries to do the cages and if everything works out, he starts to make intense and rapid shocks. During this period, it is necessary to monitor the stability of the male, since during the eruption of the seed, it can not stand on its feet and fall. Especially it concerns representatives of small breeds.
- There are situations when the organs of dogs do not quite fit together. Here, help is needed throughout the mating process. It will be better if there is a knowledgeable person - a cynologist, a veterinarian or a breeder. Sometimes you need to raise the pelvis bitches, or, conversely, provide the dog with a stand, and hold the dogs, pressing together. Again, most often this happens with small dogs.
- After completing sexual intercourse, the "groom" descends to the "bride". Normally, she starts snapping and trying to bite him. During the movement of the male, the genital organs of the dogs enter into a state of splashing, or in another "lock". This is due to the physiological characteristics that are responsible for the exclusion of premature ejaculation. If the dogs are in a similar position, after the end of the act, wait 3-4 minutes and move the dog's paws so that the pets are tails to each other. It is strictly forbidden to disconnect animals, at this moment you need to try to calm them down. The lock can open at any time - and after 15 minutes and an hour.
After the mating is carried out, the first signs of pregnancy will soon appear. However, it is important to understand that not everything is always the first time.