When we become a pet, we automatically become responsible for his well-being. Feeding, education, walking - all these are the main duties of the owner. Including care for well-being. If we talk about dogs, they are often concerned about problems with defecation, which the pet will not say, but will silently endure the pain. Before we understand what a laxative for dogs is better, we need to understand the root cause of constipation.
- Причины запоров у собак 1. Causes of constipation in dogs
- Почему нельзя давать человеческие препараты 2. Why can not give human drugs
- Какие средства можно использовать при запоре у собак 3. What means can be used for constipation in dogs?
- Клизма при запорах 4. Enlarged enema
Causes of constipation in dogs
Four-legged friends can feel discomfort for a long time without making a sound, and only the attentive attitude of the owners will help to determine that the dog does not adequately cope with the need for some time. And since this phenomenon occurs quite often, it is worth knowing in advance about the actions necessary in this case. How can you provide quick help without harming the dog?
Some owners of pets, even without much thought, give them the usual drugs designed to eliminate constipation in humans. Specialists also strongly recommend not to do this, because the dog's organism is arranged in a slightly different way than the human.
What can be the cause of digestive disorders, leading to constipation? It is worth considering the most common options:
- Errors in nutrition . Boiled bones, especially in large quantities, a sharp change in diet - from natural to dry or vice versa, an insufficient amount of vegetable fiber in the diet - contribute to the development of constipation. Frequent feeding with products that strengthen the intestines, also provokes a difficult bowel movement.
- Lack of water . Experts recommend to organize a timely for the pet drinking regime. In addition, it is necessary to monitor the freshness of the water, replacing the liquid daily, since many dogs will not drink stagnant water, and will suffer from thirst. In pets, the consumption of drinking increases during the heat, with intense physical exertion, feeding with dry fodder. If the animal does not have enough water, then the body starts using a liquid that is in the large intestine, thus dehydrating feces, making them firm and dry.
- Parasites . Worms and other parasitic organisms often damage the walls of the intestine, thereby violating the absorption of nutrients and fluids, which leads to a malfunction in the intestine.
- Hit the wool in the digestive tract . If this happens regularly, then in the intestine can form whole wool lumps, leading to constipation. Of course, this is often the problem of cats, but in dogs that lick themselves, this can occur.
- Chronic diseases . In most cases, the intestines are affected by diseases of the genitourinary system - in males it is prostatitis, in females - inflammation of the uterus and appendages, as well as inflammation in the anal glands.
As you can see, there can be quite a lot of reasons, and, based on them, it is worth selecting the suitable laxative for the dog.
Why can not give human drugs
Any owner who watches the tortures of the pet at least once, let him visit the thought: "If it helped me, then it will help the dog." But no, the animals such help may not go.
Most laxative products for dogs have one direction - to stimulate the work of the intestines. These include such well-known drugs as Guttalaks, Bisakodil and others.
These funds will act on the dog's organism in the following way: having penetrated into the intestine, filled with hard-boiling masses, the preparation literally causes the intestine to shrink intensively. The organ starts active activity, and the pressed feces can not move. This effect often leads to injuries to the intestinal mucosa, tissue ruptures and intussusception.
Even if such complications did not occur, the animal will feel intestinal colic, bloating, painful spasms. So is it worth it to risk the health of a dog by offering it human means?
What remedies can be used for constipation in dogs
The best option for constipation of a dog is treatment in a veterinary clinic, or at least in a specialized pharmacy. But not always for this there is an opportunity, so it is worth knowing about home ways of getting the pet out of constipation. These include: petroleum jelly and magnesia.
Vaseline oil is allowed to use without special restrictions. Being, in its essence, liquid paraffin, the oil is not saponified by the action of bile, it is not digested by the intestine, is not absorbed by its walls and leaves the body naturally in the same form as it got into the body.
And it acts as follows - makes the feces softer, envelops what triggered the constipation - the feces from the feces, formed a lump of wool, cellophane and other foreign objects penetrated into the intestine, and also extends its effect on its mucous membranes. And with all this, unlike other means, does not increase intestinal peristalsis.
It is necessary to know that you can not replace petroleum jelly with a vegetable or creamy product. As for the intake of petroleum jelly, small dogs need to give it inside, at the rate of 2-3 ml every 10-12 hours. To do this, it is best to use a syringe without a needle, pour half a milliliter, so that the dog can swallow it. For larger animals, the amount of oil is given more.
If the use of petrolatum oil did not bring the desired result, but under the tail a fat stain has already blurred in the dog - it means you have to cancel its use. In this case, you can use an enema with cool water.
Magnesia is a fairly effective drug used to eliminate constipation in dogs, but it is not safe, as there are a number of serious contraindications. It can not be given to a pet if it has cholelithiasis, ailments related to the heart or kidneys.
The product has a laxative effect due to the fact that it has a very low absorption, and thus attracts liquid into the intestine. With additional moisture, the stool masses become liquefied, and the peristalsis becomes more intense.
A concentrated solution is poured into the animal, which is prepared from powder and water, or liquid is purchased in ampoules. For an adult pet of small breed, 2 grams of active substance is enough. And if you take 25% solution, then this is an average of 6 ml for one dose. The taste of magnesia is very bitter, therefore it always causes intense salivation in animals.
The above mentioned means refer to the most successful options for eliminating constipation in dogs. They have a slow action, after their application, the act of defecation can occur in 5-6 hours, and sometimes later. In addition, they are not stimulants of intestinal contractions. Such a soft method has practically no complications and side effects.
Enema is another option for eliminating constipation in pets. It can be used even with a dog's pregnancy and the presence of any diseases. The procedure requires boiled chilled water and a rubber pear for small animals, or Esmarch's mug for large animals.
Before use, the pear should be boiled. At the same cup, only the tip is subjected to boiling. To ensure that the introduction is more comfortable and does not cause pain, the tip of the instruments should be abundantly coated with petroleum jelly or a fat baby cream. Filling the pear with water, you need to squeeze it a little, to get excess air.
Before the procedure, you need to wear medical gloves, and the dog - a muzzle, if the pet is small, then you can tie your face with a bandage bandage. The dog is placed in a basin or a bath, put on its side. With a certain experience and a calm attitude towards the enema of the dog, one can use a standing posture.
One hand needs to lift her tail, and the other one gently enter the end of the pear. After that, slowly inject liquid. Not all pets calmly react to such an action, so it will be better if during the enema the owner will calm the pet, iron. And no sudden movements should not be! After the end, the tip is removed from the anus, and the tail is pressed for several minutes. This will help to hold water in the animal's body. To avoid trouble, the pet can wear a special diaper and take it out for walks as often as possible.
Of course, enema and laxatives will not help to eliminate the causes of constipation, so a visit to the vet is still necessary. He will be able to tell what the problem is, and how to solve it correctly without harming the health of your pet.