Usually, owners pay attention to the nutritional preferences of their pets, whether they eat more or refuse food, but how much they consume liquids, usually no one controls. But still, strong thirst sooner or later becomes noticeable. Is it worth worrying if the dog drinks more than usual, and what causes this behavior?
The dog has increased thirst or polydipsia
In veterinary practice, there is a specialized terminology, according to which, increased thirst in animals and increased use of large volumes of water called polydipsia. Should this disturb the owners?
Of course, if the dog begins to drink a lot, it is about any changes in the body, only whether they are pathological or at the level of normal, this is what needs to be clarified. In addition, it is worth to clarify, but whether the animal began to drink more than usual, or simply the owner did not pay attention to how the pet quenches thirst. And one of the important aspects is the evaluation of the type of increased thirst and its classification.
How much water should a dog drink?
One of the frequent causes of increased thirst in dogs is their transfer to food production dry diets. If from the wet products the animal could receive additional moisture (it contains up to 80% of it), then in the granules of its dry food, after evaporation, about 10-12% remains. Naturally, to fill the lack of water, the pet begins to drink more.
Such thirst is not considered a pathological phenomenon, as it caused a change in the source of moisture. Veterinarians warn about such a nuance of dog owners, and on packs with ready-made diets one can read a reminder about the obligatory giving to your pet of constant access to clean drinking water.
To find out how much a dog should drink water per day, you can use the following data - from 70 to 100 ml per kilogram of pet weight. This will get the maximum daily dosage. Thus, a miniature 5-kilogram doggie per day should drink from 350 to 500 ml of water, so that there is no risk of disturbance of the water-electrolyte balance. If the doggie weighs half a centner, then it can and should drink about 3.5-5 liters of water a day, which is considered absolutely normal.
That's when the animal consumes large amounts of fluid, then you can say that it has increased thirst. It should be noted that the water is recommended to change the pet at least once a day, and in the warm season - 2-3 times. Since bacteria and viruses can develop in a liquid in such a medium.
It is also recommended to give the pet raw water, because the boiled "dead" water may not be to the taste of the dog, like stagnant or high in chlorine. But situations of consumption by animals of water from unknown reservoirs and puddles should be avoided.
Natural increase of thirst in dogs
As in any living organism, the pet can undergo changes that lead to a high flow rate of the liquid. In such a situation, the animal begins to consume more fluid than indicated by the norm. This behavior can be associated with pathological conditions of the body, when the disease is accompanied by increased thirst, but also do not immediately exclude the causes of natural origin, not associated with disease. Increased thirst can occur for the following reasons:
- during gestation;
- increased pet activity;
- in the warm season during the heat;
- If the dog is long in a room with a high temperature and dry air;
- the use of a number of products that have a diuretic effect (rice, apples, pumpkin, carrots, greens, cucumbers, etc.);
- if the food contains a lot of salt;
- If the diet includes a little protein food.
In the group of natural causes can also be attributed to the use of certain medications:
- drugs with pronounced diuretic (diuretic) action;
- injection of xylazine hydrochloride, which has a sedative, analgesic, anesthetic effect, and is also a muscle relaxant. The drug is used to immobilize the animal.
In addition, the dog may become thirsty against a background of a stressful situation, when the pet is very excited. In this case, polydipsia is psychological.
Thirst for pathological origin
But not always so harmless, often the dog begins to drink a lot because of the development of the disease in his body. And abundant food in this case is a protective reaction of the body, protecting it from possible dehydration.
If the owner decides that the best way out in this case is to limit the animal's access to water or to prohibit the use of such volumes of liquid, this can cause the animal to die. The following diseases are included in the list of diseases, the symptom of which is polydipsia:
- hypercalcemia (increase in the level of calcium in the plasma part of the blood);
- hypocalcemia (abnormal calcium level decrease);
- diseases associated with the hormonal level (sugar and non-sugar forms of diabetes, thyrotoxicosis, acromegaly);
- tumor formation in liver tissues, as well as other oncological diseases;
- inflammatory processes in the liver (hepatitis);
- accumulation of purulent-inflammatory fluid in the uterine cavity;
- diseases of the hypothalamus;
- manifestation of perdical effusion;
- increase of erythrocytes in the bloodstream;
- renal failure in acute or chronic form;
- inflammation of the kidneys (pyelonephritis);
- glomerular nephritis;
- urethral obstruction.
Since there are many diseases that cause polydipsia, it is not worthwhile for the owners to try to diagnose the disease on their own. It will be more correct to seek the advice of a specialist. In this situation, complex diagnosis is required in the clinic and timely prescription of treatment. In addition, some pathological conditions also cause increased thirst:
- accumulation in the thoracic cavity and peritoneum of fluid, for example, in dropsy;
- with skin injuries - burns, wounds;
- with diarrhea ;
- vomiting urges ;
- with abundant blood loss.
If the dog began to drink a lot and in her condition, in addition to other symptoms of illness, you need to urgently seek advice from a veterinarian. Otherwise, you can ignore the initial stage of the disease, in which the disease is cured much easier.
And up to this point it is necessary to provide the pet with constant access to fresh drinking water, giving the dog the opportunity to drink as much as he wants, this is very important for his health and well-being.