Many dog owners are faced with the question of how much dry food to give a dog a day, so that it is full and does not overeat. This is especially important when the dog has a tendency to obesity and health problems. The norm exists, it depends on what breed the dog is, how active it is, and what age category it belongs to.
Depending on the size of the dog
As already noted, the size of the portion depends on the energy supply of the finished ration, and also how much the pet weighs:
- Representatives of large breeds , the mass of which starts from 40 kg, per day consumes an average of half a kilo of dry granules of premium class, and the economical feed will require 700-800 grams.
- Average dogs , weighing from 12 to 40 kg, eat about 350-450 g per day. food, belonging to the premium class and 550-650 grams of diet economy.
- Small dogs , the maximum weight of which is 12 kg, eat a day from 150 to 300 grams of high-quality forage and 350-400 grams of econom.
Of course, a portion of the highest quality food will be much smaller in size due to their nutrition. This is the majority of owners suggests that more expensive feeds are actually much more profitable. Usually, after calculating the daily dose of food, the owner needs to distribute it in several equal portions, depending on the number of feedings: it can be one, two or three meals a day.
Scales that the housewives use in the kitchen will help you to measure the most accurate dosage. Some special containers are attached to some feeds - containers or glasses. In their absence, it is necessary to measure "by eye". The measuring capacity can be a tablespoon - an average of 100 grams of granules - these are three tablespoons. An approximate norm is 2 tablespoons of granules per kilogram of pet weight. But in any case, these are average data that need to be individually adjusted.
The daily portion of food is usually reduced in the summer, this applies to representatives of all breeds. But do not forget that you will need to return to the standard dosage when it gets colder. For official or overly active dogs, a portion of food should be increased by an average of 25%. This is also necessary for pets participating in competitions and various kinds of shows. Another category of dogs that needs mandatory diet is pregnant and nursing bitches.
Puppies deserve special attention. When they have intensive growth (this period falls on a period of 4-7 months), they need to be fed more than an adult pet. In this case, the portion increases, as a rule, 2 times.
It is important to remember that dogs that feed on production rations need constant access to drinking water.
- how much water a dog should drink ;
- dry food for dogs ;
- than to feed the Yorkshire terrier ;
- than to feed a German shepherd .
The amount of calories depends on the class of food
The size of the portion is affected by the feed class. After all, the more expensive the food, the higher its nutritional value:
- Feeds related to the economy class. This type of product has the lowest energy value, so the daily portion will be the maximum. This is due to the fact that such products are produced from sub-products of inferior quality and cereals, and no natural meat is added to them. Caloric content is about 280-320 kcal.
- Dry feed of premium category. Because of the meat, they have a higher nutritional value - 300-380 kcal . This indicates that the portion will be smaller.
- Super-premium class rations. Consider an optimal daily diet for pets of any breed. The basis of them is the meat part, and the cereals in their production are practically not used. If we talk about their energy value, then it is about 400-450 Kcal .
- Food - holistic. One of the new directions in the production of animal feeds. Their ingredients are foods suitable for human nutrition. The meat portion in the stern is above 60%, this indicates their high nutritional status. This is the most expensive food, but at the same time a portion of food is much less than other rations.
But whatever feed the owner chooses, there is a hint on the package for him. There is always a table, according to which you can calculate the individual portion, based on the weight of the dog. And since manufacturers use different products, then the norm will be, respectively, different.