Making a four-legged friend in the form of a small cheerful little ball, few people think that not so much will pass, by human standards, time and a family member will have to say goodbye. Not fair? Of course ... It is not in our power to decide who lives for how long, but the owner of the dog can help his pet live for as long as possible if it is properly looked after and bestowed upon him with attention and love. So how many years do dogs live, and what determines their life span?
- Расчет возраста собаки 1. Calculation of the age of the dog
- Какие факторы влияют на долгожительство собак 2. What factors influence the longevity of dogs
- Продолжительность жизни породистых собак 3. Life expectancy of thoroughbred dogs
- Сколько лет живут дворняжки 4. How old are the mongrels?
- Собаки-долгожители 5. Long-lived dogs
Dog age calculation
If you translate the age of the dog in human terms, then the following data is obtained:
- A puppy 1 month old corresponds to a six-month-old baby.
- This is a 14 year old teenager a year.
- In one and a half - an adult dog of 20 years.
- In three years - thirty years.
- A seven-year-old dog is approaching retirement age - 49 years.
- At 10, the dog has an anniversary comparable to a human date of 65.
- 13 years is already the very old age of an 80-year-old man.
The period of rapid development of the dog falls on the first two years of life. When comparing canine and human ages, it turns out that a six-month-old puppy develops at the level of a five-year-old child. And the one-year-old doggie is already entering the “difficult, transitional” period. And a year later - this is an adult, independent dog, which turned 24 years old.
All these age nuances are extremely important for the proper training and education of the pet . The dog is fully formed by 3-5 years. This time is called maturity, and the animal displays all its energy and mind.
Old age will come to a domestic dog by the age of nine. The dog becomes less active, it is more often pulled home, closer to a comfortable lounger, walks are therefore reduced in time. Teams that the pet previously diligently and eagerly carried out, now also repeats, but with much less enthusiasm.
If the dog turned 15 or so, then it can rightly be entered into the ranks of the centenarians. This suggests that the housework was not in vain and allowed to extend the life of the beloved pet.
What factors influence the longevity of dogs
As in humans, a number of certain factors affect the longevity of dogs:
- physical development;
- Does the animal fulfill the load corresponding to its age and breed;
- good rest;
- enriched with useful substances, balanced diet ;
- sufficient communication and attention.
All these quality indicators of life are 100% dependent on the owner. And from how he takes care of his dog, the animal's resistance to stressful situations and various diseases is formed.
A balanced diet from birth lays the foundation for the physical health of the pet for the whole future life and even old age. It is necessary to feed an elderly dog with soft food so that there are no problems with teeth and swallowing.
At an advanced age, animals can suffer from various ailments, most often this is a deterioration in hearing and vision, disruptions in the activity of the urinary system.
Another problem that can significantly reduce the age of any animal, including dogs, is overweight. Its excesses adversely affect the health of the pet, affecting the cardiovascular system and bone skeleton. It is necessary to control the weight of the animal, especially in old age.
Regular medical examinations, vaccinations and timely visits to the veterinary clinic with any problems - this is what will keep the dog in good shape. Constant care of the pet throughout life can significantly increase its life cycle.
Read also :
Pedigree Dog Life Span
According to veterinary specialists, there is a clear correlation between belonging to a breed and years measured by an animal. It has been scientifically proven that the smaller the dog, the longer his life.
Viability in representatives of different breeds is different. In most cases, this is due to human breeding. In pursuit of certain standards, some features are formed and fixed in dogs, most often unnatural.
Breeding is fraught with complications that are expressed in hereditary diseases:
- Chihuahua. These cute little creatures are genetically prone to medial dislocations of the patella, elbow joints, and various dysplasias.
- Dachshund. Natural hunters, with a funny long body on short legs, pay with health for such a body structure. Hereditary pathology in dachshunds are diseases of the intervertebral disc.
- Shar Pei. Not only in this breed of dogs, but also in all pets with skin folds, the disease entropion is often found, which is essentially a twist of the century.
- Rottweilers. Strong, courageous, fearless and smart. But they are also prone to hereditary diseases - aortic stenosis, rottweiler leukoencephalopathy, follicular lipidosis.
- Pikineses. This ancient breed is distinguished by a special eye structure, for which it suffers from a tendency to eversion of the eyelids, cataract , corneal ulcer.
And each breed has its own Achilles heel - dogs with flat faces have problems with the respiratory system, with skin without a coat - they often suffer from allergies , large pets are often diagnosed with joint and bone diseases.
In addition, breeders allow various situations that affect the life expectancy of dogs:
- closely related crosses;
- exclusion of the factor of natural selection;
- often the appearance of the offspring becomes a priority, rather than health;
- the life expectancy of the progenitors of the offspring is not taken into account.
Based on the foregoing, it can be concluded that dogs of breeds that are less susceptible to breeding changes, of medium size and without features of appearance, live the longest. These include terriers, shepherd dogs, huskies.
Of great importance is the presence in the family of centenarians. If the pet’s parents lived to a very old age, then he has every chance of a long life.
If we talk about numbers, then on average, our four-legged friends live about 12 years. Here are some data on their life expectancy:
- Irish Wolfhound , English Mastiff , Newfoundland - from 6 to 7 years old;
- bullmastiff , Alaskan malamute - from 7 to 8 years;
- Dobermans , Caucasian Shepherd Dogs , Rottweilers, Bassets , Alabai - from 9 to 11 years old;
- German shepherds , English spaniels , West Siberian huskies - from 10 to 14 years old;
- pit bulls, Labradors, retriever - on average live up to 13 years;
- dachshunds , Yorkshire terriers , beagles , toy terriers - from 12 to 14 years old;
- boxers , airedale - from 10 to 12 years;
- pugs , Pomeranian spitzs - from 13 to 15 years old;
- royal poodles, chihuahua , collie - life lasts an average of 16 years;
- bolonki, lhasa apso , shin-tzu, papillons - live up to 20 years.
However, decent care, the prevention of diseases and injuries will help your beloved dog live very happily ever after.
How old are the mongrels?
There is a widespread belief that dogs of the "noble" breed live longer than their non-pedigree counterparts. However, this is not the case. The main advantage of mestizos is the natural selection that is present in their lives. In his process, various physiological pathologies are rejected. It is all about the goal of natural selection - healthy individuals of reproductive age. Weak, sick and old in this system does not belong, that is how the species survives.
So, the average age of the mongrel ranges from 9 to 12 years, but there have been cases when outbred dogs survived to 20 years. This is primarily due to good care and nutrition.
But not every yard pet is honored to live in warmth and comfort. That's why he is a yard. And this opens up a lot of opportunities for the animal to eat what horrible in landfills, to contact with various, often infectious relatives, to sleep on bare ground in the open air, losing health due to natural selection. Uncontrolled walking often leads to injuries to the animal, which is not always taken to the veterinary clinic. With this way of life, rarely does a mongrel live to deep gray hair.
Despite statistics and calculations, nature never ceases to amaze, and the Guinness Book of Records confirms this. On its pages there is information about long-lived dogs that have more than doubled their age:
- The first record holder pet was an Austrian shepherd, whose life expectancy was more than 29 years. Throughout his life, the dog has been guarding sheep flocks and has been active until the last days.
- Today's centenarian, Terrier Max, is approaching his 30th birthday. By the way, the dog never received any special care and ate the usual food.
The duration of the dog’s life is individual, but each owner of the dog can make it long enough, happy and colorful!