Sheltie is a breed of dogs that you can not often see on the street, but they always cause great interest. Possessing the appearance of larger collies, differ elegance and modest dimensions. But, in fact, very few people know where these charming dogs come from and what are their features.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы шелти 2. Description of the Sheltie breed
- Характер 3. Character
- Воспитание и обучение 4. Education and training
- Уход за питомцем 5. Caring for the pet
- Как кормить шелти 6. How to feed sheltie
- Фото шелти 7. Photo sheltie
- Видео о шелти 8. Videos about sheltie
- Сколько стоит щенок шелти 9. How much does a sheltie puppy cost?
- Питомники шелти 10. Sheltie catteries
Origin of the breed
Looking at sheltie, it may seem that these are decorative dogs. But, in fact, this is absolutely not the case - this breed of Scottish sheepdogs was used once for grazing livestock. By the way, this is the smallest shepherd breed in the world. It was used for small herds, but when the number of cattle increased, they were replaced by other, larger and hardy shepherd dogs. From the disappearance of the breed, the sheltie lovers rescued the breed, who engaged in breeding work, which positively affected not the appearance of these animals.
As for the origin, it is not all clear. Experts agree on one thing - the ancestors of Sheltie - Scandinavian dogs that look like Spitz, and shepherd breeds from Iceland. At the very beginning the dogs appreciated the working qualities more than their appearance. But the cynologists drew attention to this aspect, as a result, pets acquired the appearance inherent in modern sheltie.
If we consider the similarity with the collie, then, most likely, the defining one is the areol of habitat, rather than the kinship. Crosses were present, but the main material was not long-haired, but a border collie.
Description of the Sheltie breed
Representatives of the breed are beautiful, small dogs, devoid of clumsiness. They are built proportionally, they have a magnificent fur that forms a chic collar and are combed on the limbs. Sheltie are vigilant, but they are intelligent and restrained. The appearance of Shetty deserves attention:
- The dog of this breed has an elongated, wedge-shaped head , considerably narrowing from the ears to the lobe of the nose. The skull is flattened, moderately wide between the auricles, a hillock on the nape is not visible. The muzzle is rounded, with flat cheeks. At the nose, lips and their stroke black pigmentation.
- The jaws are even, symmetrically set, the line of the chin is well pronounced. The lips close tightly. Teeth are distinguished by white enamel, they create a scissor bite. It is desirable to have a full dentition (42 teeth).
- Eyes small, slightly slanting, almond-shaped, with dark brown iris. Exception are the individuals with the color "merle", in this case the color of the eyes can be blue or there may be heterochromy - blue and brown eyes, blue iris may have speckles. Look attentive, interested.
- Ears are small in size, wide in the area of the base, close. When the dog is calm, slightly inclined backwards, in case of anxiety, they are forwarded. They have a semi-standing position, the corners curl down.
- The neck is strong, with an elegant curve, long, gives the dog a proud, aristocratic look. The limbs are proportional, with strong joints, set straight, with strong, flexible pasterns.
- Chest deep, descends to elbow joints. The ribs have a good vault, the back creates a straight line, goes into the convex lower back.
- The tail slightly bends up, is set low, the length reaches the hock joint. Abundantly covered with a wool cover. When moving, the dog may rise slightly, but not higher than the back. Breaking is considered a vice. The shepty move smoothly, gracefully, pushing their hind legs.
The coat of these dogs is rich, consisting of long, stiff, straight coarse hair and a soft, dense undercoat. The pride of the representatives of this breed is a luxurious mane and collar. Elegant edge is present on the fore and hind limbs. In the area of the muzzle, the coat is short.
The ideal growth of the dogs of Sheltie is 37 cm, in bitches - 35.5 cm. Any deviation greater than 2.5 cm is a very undesirable sign.
In addition to the beautiful wool, nature endowed these dogs with amazing colors:
- tricolor - the main color of the coat is black, spots of brownish-red hues;
- blue-merle - blue fur with a silvery tint on which are located black specks and divorces;
- sable suit - varies from light golden hues to bright makagoni, it is desirable to have brightly expressed tones, without greyness.
- Black and white suit or black with brown-red spots.
In any color desired, but not mandatory, are white marks on the forehead, chest, paws and tail. Exceptions are dogs with the color "black with brown-red marks".
The character of sheltie allows us to call them ideal companions - gentle, faithful and intelligent. They fit perfectly into any family, find a common language with small hosts, because they differ in kindness and activity.
Such a pet distrusts the outsiders, so he gives a voice if the stranger approaches the dwelling. It is worth noting that with timely socialization, the dog will know when strangers can enter the house, and when you should not allow it to be done.
Many believe that Sheltie "empty", able to cast a voice in any rustle and bark to frenzy. But here education is of great importance. Pesica can be trained to bark several times, warning of intrusion, and after waiting until the owner does not fit.
Shelties are adorable and loving, very much in need of attention and affection. If the owners will once engage in a four-legged friend, then it is worth considering other breeds. After all, sheltie will not "quietly" miss, but will start to perform destructive actions, and signs of destructive behavior will soon appear in this dog.
Shelties like to communicate, and express their emotions quite actively. The host who came home, even missing 15 minutes, will receive a portion of delight and emotion. The main focus in the behavior of dogs of this breed is to please their owners.
The dog needs a friendly family, since squabbles and tense atmosphere negatively affect her psyche. As for noise, if it is connected with fun, the dog will not only not embarrass, he will fully rejoice with everyone. The pet likes to be shabby, petted and stay in the circle of his family. But, acquiring a pedigreed puppy, it is necessary to take into account their natural shyness:
- a dog can get stress from unknown phenomena (sudden traffic, loud music, etc.);
- painfully responds to criticism during training.
Of course, not all representatives of the breed possess such qualities, but this is typical behavior. Also worth evaluating and the positive aspects of the nature of the shepherd dogs from Scotland:
- have a high intellect and a craving for knowledge - this allows them to quickly master teams of varying complexity;
- are physically active and very positive;
- have a high adaptive ability - they do not stress very much when traveling, moving and other changes.
- thanks to the sensitivity perfectly fit into the family and quickly become an integral part of it.
Given their past, do not be surprised at their excellent defensive reflexes. Suspicion to outsiders in dogs of this breed is at the level of instincts. Therefore, from the pet you can get an excellent watchdog. Without training, they will also show watchful qualities, but will avoid conflict situations.
Sheltie live well with other animals and their own kind. But it's still better if the dog gets into the company to cats and other pets, while still a puppy. This guarantees 100% peaceful residence in one territory.
Education and training
Educating Sheltie is a pretty simple task. The process enjoys both the owner and the pet himself. The mind and obedience of dogs allows you to entrust this matter even to children. But for a comfortable training should take into account a number of nuances. For example, rudeness and physical violence are unacceptable in communicating with the pet. The basis of fruitful interaction is a soft conviction and verbal praise.
Shelties are able to understand the command from the first time, from the second - to fulfill perfectly. However, it is important not to forget about fixing the material. Considering their shyness, it is necessary to start training without the presence of external stimuli, gradually including them. You can use various methods to attract attention - toys, delicacy, affection. A positively-minded animal is unlikely to refuse to execute commands, of course, if it is completely healthy.
If the dog begins to "indulge", then do not immediately apply the punishment, it is enough to ignore these manifestations, and the dog will quickly understand that with such behavior, promotion is not visible to him. Sheltie puppies quite actively study the surrounding and often enter the teeth. You can not just let it go so easily, but physically it does not matter. In this case, it will be enough to spoil the pet's pleasure, for example, spraying a special tool on a gnawed object.
The main care is attention to the dog's coat. It should be regularly combed and bathed. It is desirable to have several special combs and brushes:
- metal with sparse teeth;
- metal with frequent teeth;
- brush with bristles;
- a puffeter for a long coat.
Carefully comb out the dog will have 2-3 times a month, and in periods of seasonal moulings much more often - daily. Otherwise, dense coils will begin to form on the wool coat. But the dog should not be washed so often, it is enough once in 1-2 months. It is recommended to use special means, but do not apply them in a pure form to the coat, but dilute with water and water or spray them on the wool.
If we talk about the health of sheltie, then living in a harsh climate has made them very strong. They live about 20 years and almost all the time remain very charismatic. Also, regular inspection and cleaning of the ear shells and eyes is necessary. For the health of the teeth, it is enough to give the pet regularly large bones or special goodies, which can be purchased at a pet store.
How to feed sheltie
As in the case of other breeds, sheltie can be fed with both natural food and industrial forages. In the second case it is necessary to choose premium and super-premium rations from the lines suitable for small breeds.
If the owner decides to feed the dog "naturalka", then 50% of the diet should consist of meat products - beef, veal, turkey, rabbit, lean mutton and offal. Pork and liver are undesirable. Meat is given in a raw form, pre-scalded with boiling water, offal must be boiled.
Porridge is also useful for dogs - rice, buckwheat, oatmeal is well cooked on broths - meat, fish, vegetable. It is recommended to season the dish with vegetable oil, as well as add crushed fresh herbs - a source of vitamins. Sheltie must be given fresh chicken or quail yolks - 2-3 times a week, but in boiled form you can give and yolk, and protein.
In general, shelties like to eat, so they can give fresh fruit, berries, vegetables, which most similar pets eagerly eat. You can also cook vegetable stew and other dishes. Milk for adult dogs is not recommended, but sour-milk products must be present in the diet. An excellent snack for sheltie can become dried fruits. Given the lovely appearance of dogs, it is necessary to exclude situations when they are treated from the table, if not by the owners themselves, by "compassionate" guests.
Videos about sheltie
How much does the sheltie puppy cost?
It is worth noting that today this breed is quite rare, but it can not be called the most expensive:
- Pesic show class, with the prospects of breeding and exhibition career from a good nursery is about 28000-45000 rubles. Sometimes the price tag can still be slightly higher.
- Brid-class - dogs, which are most often chosen for further breeding, cost from 17,000 to 23,000 rubles. In general, these are excellent puppies, but some minor nuances will not allow them to get high marks at exhibitions.
- Puppies pet-class - offspring, which can act only as a pet, costs significantly less - from 8,000 rubles.
Being a long time shepherd dogs, today shelty perfectly perform the role of companion. They are active, inquisitive and benevolent. It is these qualities that a dog must possess in order to fully fit into the family.