Infecting fleas with pets brings them not only discomfort, but also increases the risk of allergic reactions and vector-borne diseases transmitted with bites. The chemical industry, which produces animal care products, improves preparations for fleas, producing them in the form of sprays, drops, anti-collar collars. The safest and easiest to use are flea shampoos.
Composition and characteristics of shampoos
The main substance in the composition of shampoos for dogs is an insecticide that destroys parasites. Most often shampoo is injected:
- pyrethrum - extract of Dalmatian chamomile, natural insecticide;
- pyrethroids - synthetic analogues of pyrethrum (permethrin, cypermethrin, deltamethrin);
- extracts of medicinal plants having a repellent effect or caring for skin and hair;
- surface - active substances for the creation of foam;
- conditioner to facilitate combing of wool and antistatic properties.
Insecticides included in the shampoo are classified as hazard class 3-4 and do not adversely affect dogs, especially in the concentration that is contained in the detergent. Moreover, they do not penetrate into the systemic bloodstream of the animal. On fleas, insecticides have a neuro-paralytic effect. These substances inhibit the transmission of nerve signals to muscle fibers. As a result, the insects are denied organs, and the parasite dies.
In addition to chemical shampoo has a mechanical effect - a thick foam inhibits the movement of fleas, helping them to clean them without hindrance from the wool. Shampoos can be:
- Universal, calculated for dogs of any breed;
- for dogs with long and thick hair;
- It is made for short-haired and bare breeds with sensitive skin.
Depending on the concentration and type of insecticide, shampoos have age limits (for puppies from a certain age), contraindications for the condition of the animal (it is not recommended to wash weakened, old or pregnant dogs).
Methods of application
Shampoo can be used in two ways - for dogs that tolerate bathing well and for those who do not like to swim. The first way is as follows:
- put the dog in the bath;
- the dog's coat is well moistened with warm water;
- pour a little shampoo on the palm and distribute it along the animal's fur, avoiding the area of muzzle, ears;
- carefully soap the dog and soak for 5-10 minutes;
- a lot of water to wash off the shampoo;
- Dry the animal with a towel or dry the hair with a hairdryer;
- a special comb comb out the remaining fleece in fleece.
The second method involves such actions:
- pour warm water into the tub, about the dog's belly;
- pour a little shampoo into the water and beat the foam;
- put the dog in a bath and wash it with a soap solution, avoiding water ingress into the eyes, mouth and ears of the animal;
- Wash the wool with clean water and dry it;
- comb out the remaining fleas.
Insecticides, on contact with mucous membranes, irritate them, so avoid contact with the eyes and nose. If the shampoo is on the mucous membranes, then rinse them with water. Do not allow licking shampoo. If the dog often walks in the street, then additional protection is required in the form of an anti-block collar or drops on the withers.
The best flea shampoos
These shampoos of domestic production are not expensive, do not cause allergies, they consist of natural components:
- Phytoelite - the composition includes extracts of wormwood and celandine. Care for the skin and hair provides coconut oil and lanolin. Bischofite has a regenerating and soothing effect. As an insecticide, 0.3% permethrin. It is not recommended to use for washing puppies up to 2 months old, sick and pregnant dogs.
- Dr. Zoo - contains extracts of medicinal plants - thyme, chamomile, bergamot, sage, red pepper. They strengthen the hair, stimulate its growth. Shampoo does not have synthetic ingredients, it has antibacterial, therapeutic and soothing effects after flea bites.
- Bim Fito - produce several varieties of shampoo, differing in the incoming plant components - Coniferous, Grassy, Tar.
- Meadow - shampoo is produced for the coarse-wool breeds of dogs and for breeds with long hair. The composition includes extracts of chamomile, calendula, mother-and-stepmother. In shampoo for long-haired dogs added lanolin, caring for the hair.
- Purity - produce Universal, Junior (for puppies and kittens), Restoring, Unraveling (for longhaired breeds).
Shampoos of imported production are more expensive. The best are:
- Trixie - shampoo with natural oil from the seeds of Neem, which has a fungicidal, antibacterial, anti-parasitic, anti-inflammatory effect. Shampoo destroys fleas and cares for dry, sensitive skin. Designed for all breeds of adult dogs against fleas and ticks.
- Espree Flea & Tick Shampoo - for short-haired and long-haired breeds. The composition includes a base of coconut, moisturizing provides an extract of aloe vera, as an air conditioner - panthenol, jojoba, vitamins A, Dz, E, insecticide - pyrethrin. Can be used to wash the puppies from 3 months.
- Espree Citrusil Plus Shampoo - produce species for long-haired, hairless, short-haired breeds. The composition includes seven kinds of essential oils of citrus, tea tree oil, aloe vera and panthenol, jojoba, vitamins A, D and E. It cares for the hair, cleans it well, deodorizes, treats the effects of flea bites.
These shampoos not only remove adult fleas, their larvae and eggs, but also take care of the skin and hair of the dog. Can be used as external medicines for the treatment of dermatitis, eczema, seborrhea. They also remove the rash, inflammation, without drying the skin.
Shampoo is an effective remedy in the fight against fleas and other bloodsucking insects. Safety of use is guaranteed if you follow the instructions for use and choose a remedy in accordance with the age and breed of the dog.