Flea infection of domestic animals brings them not only discomfort, but also increases the risk of allergic reactions and vector-borne diseases transmitted by bites. The chemical industry, which produces animal care products, is improving preparations for fleas, producing them in the form of sprays, drops, and anti-flea collars. The safest and easiest to use are flea shampoos.
The composition and characteristics of shampoos
The main substance in the composition of shampoos for dogs is an insecticide, which destroys parasites. Most often, the shampoo is injected:
- feverfew - Dalmatian chamomile extract, natural insecticide;
- pyrethroids - synthetic pyrethrum analogues (permethrin, cypermethrin, deltamethrin);
- extracts of medicinal plants that have a repellent effect or care for skin and coat;
- surfactants to create foam;
- conditioner to facilitate combing wool and antistatic properties.
Insecticides included in the shampoo, belong to the 3-4 class of danger and do not have a harmful effect on dogs, especially in the concentration that is contained in the detergent. Moreover, they do not penetrate into the systemic circulation of the animal. Flea insecticides have a neuroparalytic effect. These substances inhibit the transmission of nerve signals to muscle fibers. As a result, insects fail organs, and the parasite dies.
In addition to the chemical, the shampoo also has a mechanical effect - thick foam inhibits the movement of fleas, helping to wash them out of the wool unhindered. Shampoos can be:
- universal, calculated for dogs of any breed;
- for dogs with long and thick hair;
- created for short-haired and bare breeds with sensitive skin.
Depending on the concentration and type of insecticide, shampoos have age limits (for puppies from a certain age), contraindications for the condition of the animal (it is not recommended to use for washing weakened, old or pregnant dogs).
Shampoo can be used in two ways - for dogs that tolerate bathing and for those who do not like to swim. The first method is as follows:
- put the dog in the bath;
- dog's coat should be moistened with warm water;
- Pour some shampoo on the palm of your hand and spread it over the animal's hair, avoiding the muzzle and ears;
- lather the dog thoroughly and wait 5-10 minutes;
- plenty of water to wash off the shampoo;
- dry the animal with a towel or dry the hair with a hairdryer;
- comb the fleas remaining in the coat with a special comb.
The second method involves the following actions:
- pour in a bath of warm water, about the belly of the dog;
- pour a little shampoo into the water and beat the foam;
- put the dog in the bath and wash it with soapy water, avoiding water getting into the eyes, mouth and ears of the animal;
- wash the wool with clean water and dry it;
- comb out the remaining fleas.
Insecticides, when exposed to mucous membranes, irritate them, so avoid contact with eyes and nose. If the shampoo has got on mucous membranes, then it is necessary to wash them with water. Do not allow lick shampoo. If the dog often walks on the street, then additional protection in the form of an anti-flea collar or drops on withers will be required.
The best flea shampoos
These shampoos of domestic production are not expensive, do not cause allergies, consist of natural ingredients:
- Phytoelite - contains extracts of wormwood and celandine. Skin and hair care provides coconut oil and lanolin. Bishofit has a regenerating and calming effect. As insecticide, 0.3% permethrin. It is not recommended to use for washing puppies up to 2 months of age, sick and pregnant dogs.
- Dr. Zoo - contains extracts of medicinal plants - thyme, chamomile, bergamot, sage, red pepper. They strengthen the wool, stimulate its growth. Shampoo has no synthetic components, has an antibacterial, therapeutic and sedative effect after flea bites.
- Bim Phyto - produce several varieties of shampoo, differing in incoming plant components - Coniferous, Herbal, Tar.
- Meadow - shampoo is produced for hard-haired breeds of dogs and for breeds with long hair. The composition includes extracts of chamomile, calendula, mother and stepmother. In shampoo for long-haired dogs added lanolin, caring for wool.
- Celandine - produce Universal, Junior (for puppies and kittens), Revitalizing, Unraveling (for long-haired breeds).
Imported shampoos are more expensive. The best are:
- Trixie - shampoo with natural oil from the seeds of Azadirachti Indian (Neem), which has a fungicidal, antibacterial, antiparasitic, anti-inflammatory effect. Shampoo destroys fleas and cares for dry, sensitive skin. Designed for all breeds of adult dogs from fleas and ticks.
- Espree Flea & Tick Shampoo - for short-haired and long-haired breeds. The composition includes a washing base of coconut, moisturizing provides aloe vera extract, as a conditioner - panthenol, jojoba, vitamins A, Dz, E, insecticide - pyrethrin. Can be used for washing puppies from 3 months.
- Espree Citrusil Plus Shampoo - produces species for long-haired, hairless, short-haired breeds. The composition includes seven types of citrus essential oils, tea tree oil, aloe vera and panthenol, jojoba, vitamins A, D and E. It cares for hair, cleans it well, deodorizes, treats the effects of flea bites.
These shampoos not only remove adult fleas, their larvae and eggs, but also care for the dog's skin and coat. Can be used as external medicines for the treatment of dermatitis, eczema, seborrhea. They also remove rashes, inflammation without overdrying the skin.
Shampoo - an effective tool in the fight against fleas and other blood-sucking insects. Safety of use is guaranteed if you follow the instructions for use and choose a tool in accordance with the age and breed of the dog.