The name of the breed Husky today is heard by everyone, and it is not difficult to meet these handsome men. But the most common are the Siberian husky, and as for the Sakhalin ones, they, by the will of fate, turned out to be a vanishing sight. Japanese breeders are interested in the revival of the breed and are doing everything possible to increase their livestock. But the work is long and painstaking. What attracted the attention of the Sakhalin husky breed, and why is so much attention paid to its restoration?
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы сахалинский хаски 2. Description of the breed Sakhalin Husky
- Характер и особенности поведения 3. Nature and characteristics of behavior
- Дрессировка и воспитание 4. Training and education
- Уход и здоровье 5. Care and health
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Особенности рациона 7. Features of the diet
- Содержание собаки 8. The contents of the dog
- Фото сахалинского хаски 9. Photos of the Sakhalin Husky
- Видео о сахалинском хаски 10. Video about the Sakhalin Husky
- Где купить щенка 11. Where to buy a puppy
Origin of the breed
Representatives of this breed are dogs of the ethnic group of the Nivkhs, or in another way - gilyaks, so they are called gilyatka husky or "karafuto ken", which translates as Sakhalin dog. Initially, the animals were removed for sledding. The Japanese do not encroach on the age-old history of the breed, they love the husky and even included them in the selection work to restore the Akita Inu dogs.
Nivkhi were good to their pets, this is confirmed by multiple legends. In addition, the dogs participated in many spheres of people's lives - often performed the role of cult animals, went hunting, including large predators, for example, bears. By the beginning of the 20th century, under the Soviet regime, the Sakhalin Huskies cope better with the military service than the rest, they were helped by endurance and unpretentiousness.
These same properties allowed the animals to participate in the Antarctic expeditions of 1910-1912 and 1958. The last journey ended tragically, out of a dozen dogs, only two remained alive. Then the Sakhalin husky became national heroes, and the Americans shot a film dedicated to those events.
After the end of World War II, during the deportation of the Japanese population, most of the dogs were taken to the island of Hokkaido, where there is still a small number of livestock.
Description of breed Sakhalin husky
Among other huskies and laikas, Sakhalin are the largest representatives of the group. These are unusually hardy, tightly knocked down dogs, with a thick, dense woolly covering and powerful limbs. Such physical properties allow the animal not only to survive in the most severe climatic conditions, but also to successfully carry out important work. Sakhalin dogs are very courageous dogs with high intelligence.
Appearance of individuals is largely due to the presence of Japanese spitz genes and akita-inu, but are more similar to husky. They resemble Spitz, but they are larger. The maximum growth of males reaches 70 cm at the withers, bitches often have medium sizes - 50-60 cm. The representatives of the breed weigh from 25 to 40 kg.
In accordance with the standard, the Sakhalin looks like this:
- Proportional, harmonious physique, strong, powerful skeleton and developed musculature. Head is large, with triangular erect ears and expressive, pointed muzzle. Eyes small, almond-shaped, slightly slanting.
- The limbs are strong, firm, well-muscled. The paws are arranged in such a way that the dog can move both on the ground and on the snow crust, without failing.
- The tail is long, straight, can be bent to the side, completely covered with dense hair.
The coat in dogs can be of various lengths, with a thick, but necessarily dense undercoat. In the area of the muzzle and on the outside of the limbs, the hair is shortened.
There are individuals with very different colors of wool, only the presence of a monochromatic white color is excluded. More often you can find black, gray, red, tiger dogs. They can be either spotted or monotonous. In the Nivkhi, dogs of different colors had their own particular cult significance.
Character and features of behavior
Karafuto-ken are devoted dogs, well-oriented to humans. They are friendly towards all members of the family, they need constant communication with the host and joint pastime. Lack of attention and frequent loneliness makes the dog suffer, and later becomes the cause of health problems.
Despite friendliness, the dog will necessarily rush to the protection of its owner, if there is a threatening situation. If we consider that once such a husky could withstand a bear, then it is clear that shyness is not peculiar to it. Fearlessness and courage are some of the best traits of this breed.
But the lack of alertness to strangers and aggression towards a person prevents them from becoming full-fledged guards and watchmen - the dog will greet guests with interest and friendliness.
Sakhalin husky can take a very imposing appearance, then it seems that the dog is lazy and inactive. However, this is a deceptive impression. Dogs are not just active, they are able to run for 24 hours without exhaustion, harnessed to a sleigh, so the pet always responds for a walk and any other active activity.
The Husky has a well developed predilection for domination, the pet will certainly try to take the leading position in the family. If the owner does not stop this, the dog will feel like a leader and refuses to obey.
Training and education
Although initially the husky were exclusively working dogs, today they are increasingly being bred as companions. Naturally, such freedom-loving pets need to be educated and trained. According to experienced cynologists, Huskies can master all the major programs: OKD, Managed City Dog, Correction behavior. They can be engaged both in groups and individually tailored for them program.
If the owner has experience in training dogs, then he can independently teach the pet the main commands, adjust his behavior. In addition, the dog needs early socialization - he must know how to behave on walks, in unfamiliar places, be able to communicate with other dogs.
The host should conduct classes regularly, adhering to consistency and showing firmness. Sakhalin husky - dogs "thinking", such a pet does not rvanet blindly perform tasks, not evaluating the conditions and not accepting possible other solutions. Do not strongly urge him, shouting or yanking at the collar. When the dog decides that the owner is right, he will do everything.
Care and health
Sakhalin Husky is one of the most unpretentious breeds. Its representatives have a lot of advantages:
- the Husky does not have excess salivary fluid;
- they almost do not have the characteristic smell of a dog;
- dogs moult twice a year, but the process is not expressed - it is both a plus and a minus, because such an animal needs to periodically hold a full grooming, saving the pet from the dead wool;
- Huskies do not need a haircut.
Breeders of this breed give the following recommendations for caring for animals:
- 1-2 times a week carefully comb out the dog, using a frequent comb, and in the moult period - a puerper;
- it is necessary to examine the mouth, eyes, paw pads for damage, fungus, dermatitis;
- Huskies are seldom bathed - it is enough to do this every 12 months, of course, if the dog is contaminated, then it is washed more often or wiped with a damp sponge;
- as well as representatives of other breeds, huskies should be vaccinated, treated from parasites and helminths.
The ears of the husky deserve more attention, since they are the most vulnerable site. They must be regularly cleaned with a cotton swab or a stick moistened with water or peroxide solution, gently removing dirt and excess serous formations.
Sakhalin dogs differ cleanliness, therefore care of them does not cause absolutely any difficulties.
Representatives of northern breeds, whose selection took place in natural, harsh conditions, have good health. However, the absence of new blood can play a cruel joke, awarding dogs with hereditary diseases.
According to statistical data, the Husky often reveals the following diseases caused by genetic disorders:
- pathology of the endocrine system - diabetes mellitus, etc .;
- diseases of the organs of vision;
- malfunctions in the work of the nervous, cardiovascular system;
- pathological conditions of the musculoskeletal system;
- immunodeficiency states.
In addition, the Husky often develop dermatological diseases. More often genetic disorders are found in males.
Features of the diet
Nivkhi fed their four-legged assistants with fish, or rather, dried bones. In the autumn period, they were engaged in fishing, harvesting ketu, he dried himself and dried fish, and dogs - all that is left.
Therefore gilyatka huskies do not need a variety of food, and they are suitable for production dry food, produced for dogs of this breed. Choose premium or super-premium products that contain a small amount of plant components.
With natural feeding, the basis of the diet is fish and low-fat, veined meat - beef, venison, beef gum and byproducts. You can treat your pet with seasonal fruits, give a few times a week sour-milk products, eggs, boiled chicken. It is important to provide the pet with clean drinking water.
The ideal condition for keeping the Husky is a harsh, cold climate. These dogs do not freeze, they can sleep on the snow and do not require a warmed booth. The best way to them is street maintenance, and if the owner decides to take such a pet for an apartment, then he should know in advance about some nuances, for example, about a phenomenon like howl.
Husks, including Sakhalin, do not bark, but they howl no worse than their ancestors - wolves. Left alone and bored, the dog can make these sounds for a long time, distracting and disturbing neighbors; especially unpleasant if the howl is heard at night. But if the Nivkhs have a couple of legends explaining this behavior, then the experts know that the dog howls from longing for his family.
Such behavior can be corrected by making regular, active walks with the darling, then the tired dog will go to sleep upon return.
In hot weather, it is impossible for a dog to stay in the sun for a long time. It is necessary that he has a shady corner where the dog could hide.
It is not for nothing that the husks are members of expeditions, in addition to endurance, they have a passion for research and wandering. What is it that threatens the owner? Most pets of this breed have a tendency to escape. And they do it not because of unwillingness to stay in this house or because of bad character. Just such a feature is present in these animals at the genetic level.
Even the locked Husky locked with seven locks can find a way out: make a tunnel, swing through the highest fence, break the grid or seep through a small gap. Here they have no equal! Often, dogs simply open the latch and go towards adventure. This is a warning to future owners - before taking a puppy, you should provide the site with a secure fence, aviary - a strong mesh and do not forget about possible digging.
When walking, it is necessary to keep the dog on a leash, since the husks often escape and fall into different unpleasant and even dangerous situations.
Photo of Sakhalin Husky
Video about Sakhalin Husky
Where to buy a puppy
Having weighed all the pros and cons, did the family choose this rare northern breed? The following question arises: "Where can I get a high-quality, purebred puppy?" Since the breed is on the verge of extinction and is very, very rare, it's easy to imagine that nurseries. engaged in breeding Sakhalin husky, a little.
But today some breeders of Japanese breeds begin to work with gilyatka huskies. Most likely, future owners will have to go outside their city or even the country. The cost of puppies Sakhalin husky depends on the pet's class, titled parents and their own qualities:
- offspring of the pet class - because of minor deficiencies that do not affect their health, such dogs are not allowed to breed and participate in exhibitions, but the doggie has the appropriate documents and can become an excellent four-legged friend; the maximum cost of a puppy of this category can be 20,000 rubles;
- puppies of the breed class - the offspring that meet the standard requirements, suitable for breeding, will cost from 35,000 to 40,000 rubles;
- puppy show class - has the highest characteristics, the future star of exhibitions and an enviable groom / bride; usually dogs of this class are put up for sale only by 6 months, since only by this age can you be certain that the dog has no flaws; the initial price of a grown-up breeder Sakhalin husky show class - 50,000 rubles.
Before contacting the seller, you should decide for what purposes the pet will be used, this will allow you to pick up a favorite of the right class.
Sakhalin husky - amazing dogs, real helpers and heroes. Such a breed should not disappear from the face of the earth, and breeders make efforts for this. But before acquiring such a specific working dog, you should find out if it is suitable for temperament, peculiarities of content and other characteristics? It is important that the pet, who got into the family, felt comfortable, but did not cause a lot of inconvenience.