Saluki are Persian greyhounds, whose ancestors lived in the Middle East even in the times of Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia. Representatives of this breed are the fastest. It is not surprising that the Saluki have a lot of admirers, and the breeders and owners are sure that these are the best four-legged friends that a man can have.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы салюки 2. Description of the Saluki breed
- Характерные черты и нрав салюки 3. Characteristic features and temper of the Saluki
- Воспитание и обучение 4. Education and training
- Уход и здоровье 5. Care and health
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Как и чем кормить 7. How and what to feed
- Содержание собаки 8. The contents of the dog
- Фото салюки 9. Photo of the Saluki
- Видео о салюки 10. Video about the Saluki
- Покупка щенка 11. Buying a puppy
Origin of the breed
The roots of the breed go so far into the centuries that it is difficult to determine exactly where it originated. Many researchers are inclined to believe that it was the Saluki who became the first dogs living near the person.
The starting point for their spread was Iran and the Arabian Peninsula. Archaeologists working in the Middle East, quite often found among the artifacts images of such dogs. The oldest of them date back to 3500 BC. In addition, these animals were depicted in Egyptian burials.
The name of the breed is associated with the Arab city of Saluki or Syrian Seleucia. Muslims refer these dogs to pure animals, and Bedouins, hunting with saluki, call them "gifts of Allah." It was in these tribes that the representatives of the breed formed, and already then the nomads took care of the cleanliness of the breed.
Thanks to the nomadic way of life of their owners, the dogs became widespread in the Middle East, and by the Middle Ages they had penetrated European countries.
Description of the Saluki breed
Even in ancient times, dogs were appreciated for their external beauty and noble appearance, besides this, the dogs were distinguished by their endurance and great speed. The Saluki were hunted by a small beast - a rabbit, a fox, a hare and a gazelle. The dog could catch up with the prey and hold it until the hunter arrived and killed her.
These elegant animals lived in tents and were brought to a hunting place on horses or camels. Another nuance - saluki not sold, you can get such a pet only as a gift.
Needless to say, such animals must have had amazing abilities and unique appearance. And their data is really impressive. These are elegant, refined animals, similar to greyhounds, but covered with a thick woolly covering.
Their thoroughbreds have been preserved for thousands of years, and it deserves respect. Saluki - tall, slim, even thin dog, the growth at the withers is 58-71 cm, bitches slightly lower, they weigh from 18 to 27 kg.
Many owners hear from outsiders: "You better feed your pet, his ribs are visible." In fact, only those who do not know anything about the characteristics of the breed say this, since the ribs should be viewed in healthy, vigorous saluki, and this is not a sign of exhaustion.
Such a lean figure allows animals to run at a speed of 70 km / h, which is impossible to achieve dogs with excess kilograms. In the standard, the following description of dogs of this breed can be found:
- The head is proportional, narrow, graceful; Between the ears there is a bulge, the stop is a smooth line.
- The muzzle is elongated, tapering to the nose, with powerful jaws, strong teeth and a proper bite.
- The nose of the nose is sensitive, pigmented with black or brown.
- The eyes are large, expressive, almond-shaped, the hue of the iris varies from black to light brown tones.
- The ear shells hang on the sides of the muzzle, when raised, they rise when the dog is calm.
- The neck is elongated, with a developed musculature smooth curve.
- The body is elongated, muscular, with a deep, powerful cage, a slightly curved loin and widely spaced pelvic bones; the inguinal line is well-taut.
- The tail is set low, the length to the hocks, the tip is bent upwards by a half-ring. In a calm state, he does not rise above the line of the spine.
- The limbs are parallel, they have a strong backbone, well-laid back shoulders, the hind legs have well-developed thighs and shins.
- The toes on the paws are arched, elongated, close fitting, with black claws and elastic, firm pads.
Coat and possible colors
Among the saluki, there are individuals with a smooth fur coat or "in feathers." Dogs with a second type of wool are more common. All members of the breed have an elongated coat on their ears, but in long-haired dogs it is longer, and there are stripes in the tail area and on the back of the limbs.
The color of the coat is almost unlimited, the standard is not allowed only tiger color, as well as animals suffering from albinism. The most common are white, gray, pale wool, fawn, red, black and tan, and piebald dogs.
Characteristic features and temper of the Saluki
Most representatives of the breed have an even character, so the owner can get a dozen pets. If you highlight one characteristic feature - a small sociability. The first breeders from the Middle East instilled in them a sense of some alienation. This happened purposefully, so that it was impossible for strangers to take these dogs out of the house.
This quality has led to the fact that saluki do not like to subservient and suck up to the owner. What to serve, they prefer to co-exist next to a person. To the aliens, the Saluki are indifferent - there is no question of aggression or rejection, but one should not expect the joys of the animals.
However, their independence and some estrangement, on the contrary, attract attention. Saluki is considered an impeccable animal with an angelic character. The owner only needs to find an approach to the pet and learn how to communicate with it.
Weasel and love - that's what it takes to melt the heart of this dog. Despite some detachment, she needs a family and her own person. It is important that people live in peace among themselves, since the Saluki are very sensitive to rudeness, strained relations, pets need love, understanding and some respect.
The Persians are not averse to lying on the sofas or the master's bed, and, being alone, they can entertain themselves in an inappropriate way. To keep the shoes and furniture intact, the pet should be provided with suitable toys.
Education and training
When a puppy of such a difficult breed appears in the house, the owner should immediately show that he is the main person in the house. Training the dog is to master the basic program - the dog needs to know the place, approach the team, stop and understand what to do in any case impossible. To give complex tasks to these dogs is not worth it, they are too capricious to perform masterly everything that the owner wants.
You can not treat a pet negligently or unfairly punish - such a dog will accurately remember and forget about fruitful joint work. Punishing a greyhound is not recommended, it is better, on the contrary, to encourage the pet in every possible way - caress, praise, encouragement.
Saluki require an individual approach, and if there is mutual understanding and trust between the owner and the pet, the training will be very successful. Choosing as a pet Persian hound, you need to take into account her freedom of love. The dog is important to walk for a long time, otherwise it will lose its excellent physical form and can even get sick or earn obesity.
Like other greyhounds, Persians need to spend energy and get physical exercise, it can be hunting, long jogging, training. Although for such a dog there are no special difficulties - he is able to catch up with the beast for a minute, but gets more pleasure from long races, and does not show the slightest sign of fatigue.
Dogs of the Saluki breed should not be started by beginners who are unfamiliar with the peculiarities of the training - it will be very, very difficult, it may even seem that the pet is not taught at all. Beginning classes should be from puppy age, since the behavior of an adult greyhound is almost impossible to correct.
But even a puppy is capable of showing obstinacy. Also, do not repeat the same team for a long time - this pet will not like it, it will perform the task 3-4 times, and on the 5th it can pretend that this does not apply to it.
Care and health
Saluki have no undercoat, so they do not have the specific smell of a dog. These are clean animals that almost do not shed, so their wool does not require complex care. The pet needs the following procedures:
- Wool . Bathing greyhounds rarely, only if necessary, using detergents suitable for this type of wool. Sometimes you can do without washing, wiping the body of the dog with a damp cloth. Saluki do not require frequent combing, once a week the wool is treated with a silicone or rubber glove. Such an event positively affects not only the condition of the coat, but also the skin, being a kind of massage. For combing, brushes with natural nap can also be used. Long-haired individuals scratching better with a comb with metal teeth.
- Auricles . Due to the fact that they are closed, the ears of a greyhound are devoid of natural ventilation, so they often accumulate dirt and inflammation. They should be inspected regularly and cleaned from contamination with a cotton disc. In addition, it is recommended to purchase a special drug with an antiseptic effect, which is poured into the ears, massaged from the outside, and then released - the dog starts shaking its head, thereby, the foreign particles fall out.
- Eyes . They should be inspected regularly, especially after the dog runs through the wooded area, and if there are sourings in the eyes, foreign particles, they are washed with an antiseptic, weak tea brew or herbal decoction.
- Teeth . In the greyhounds often a raid on the enamel and tartar to avoid this, it is recommended 1-2 times a week to clean the pet teeth, using a brush and paste from the pet store. In addition, you can give the pet dentologic goodies - bones, wands, preventive toys.
- Claws . Since saluki are quite active animals, their claws are clawed naturally. Usually they are sheared only on rudimentary fifth fingers.
For health and well-being, greyhounds require daily exercise and a couple of times a week active activities. Experienced breeders recommend newly-minted owners to consider the option of pet participation in sports or pritrachnye events.
The average life span of Persian greyhounds is 12-14 years, and due to the fact that the breed has preserved its primordial nature, its representatives do not suffer from genetic diseases. However, in dogs of this breed, the following diseases and pathological conditions can develop:
- hypersensitivity to anesthetics. Dogs of this breed require less preparation than animals weighing as much, since they have a very small fat layer;
- Cardiomyopathy - a pathological change in the myocardium;
- hypothyroidism - a decrease in the level of hormones produced by the thyroid gland.
If we consider the general picture, the Persian greyhounds are distinguished by strong health, according to the owners, such pets are seldom sick. According to the American Association of Cynologists, only 5% of purebreds have any diseases.
How and what to feed
Persian greyhounds, even among their species, are rather slender dogs, they consume little liquid and are fastidious in food. Experienced Arab breeders practice feeding these dogs with natural food. Their diet consists of the following products:
- veal and lamb;
- chicken and turkey;
- vegetables with a firm consistency;
- unsweetened fruits: apples, pears; citrus fruits are forbidden;
- sour-milk products - not more than 2 times a week kefir, cottage cheese, yoghurt;
- eggs - 1 piece per 3-4 days.
In addition, the Arabs believe that the Saluki do not need cereals at all. At representatives of the given breed an intensive metabolism, therefore it is desirable to feed them more often 2 times a day. With regard to fattening by vitamins, the question is solved individually after consultation with the veterinarian.
It is allowed to feed Persian greyhounds with industrial dry diets, but this should be high quality products - super-premium. In addition, the feed should be designed for active dogs.
Today, more and more often, the owners are building saluki for apartment maintenance, which is not surprising during the general urbanization. But in this case, the owners must be prepared for all sorts of difficulties.
Ideal living conditions for a Persian greyhound - a country house with a large outdoor enclosure. These dogs need a space, their own territory. It is worth considering that they are able to overcome the highest fences and can go to meet the travel - it's in their blood.
Photo of the Saluki
Video about the Saluki
Buying a puppy
Saluki is a kind of dog, beautiful and capricious. To get such a pet is recommended in a specialized nursery, where they can give a guarantee of the thoroughbredness and health of the animal.
Puppy from the domestic nursery will cost from 25,000 to 50,000 rubles. Also, future owners have the opportunity to purchase a baby from abroad, in this case it is necessary to pay 65,000 rubles and more. The best nurseries of the country are:
- "Imran", Moscow http://imran-saluki.ru/en/contact;
- "Dioskuri", Moscow http://www.saluki.ru/contact.htm.
Saluki is a living representation of how the dogs looked like a few thousand years ago. They have preserved their appearance, dignity, hunting qualities, pride. Such a pet will be an excellent four-legged friend, but the owner needs a lot - respect, love and patience.