Vomiting in dogs is not a rare phenomenon, and there are many reasons for such an organism reaction. It is not necessary to panic immediately, as the vomiting reflex does not always indicate serious problems. What should I pay special attention to and how to behave if the dog has vomiting?
- Признаки, предшествующие рвоте 1. Signs preceding vomiting
- Причины возникновения рвоты у собак 2. Causes of vomiting in dogs
- Патологическая рвота и ее характерные признаки 3. Pathological vomiting and its characteristic features
- Рвота с белой пеной 4. Vomiting with white foam
- Правильные действия при рвоте у собаки 5. Correct actions when vomiting in a dog
- Диагностика и лечение рвоты у собак 6. Diagnosis and treatment of vomiting in dogs
Signs that precede vomiting
The dog can not tell about his state of health, therefore, only by external signs, the owner can find out that with his pet is not all right. As you know, vomiting is preceded by nausea, and it can affect the behavior of the dog:
- the animal often licks its muzzle;
- refuses food, does not drink water;
- there is abundant salivation;
- the dog is restless, constantly chaotic;
- the pet rumbles in the stomach and a loud belch is issued.
In addition, often before vomiting a pet may have a disorder of the stool: both diarrhea and constipation .
Quite often, dog owners confuse two concepts - vomiting and regurgitation, if in the first situation the food comes out in the form of digested slurry, then in the second it does not have time to undergo the process of processing.
Causes of vomiting in dogs
Of course, this phenomenon is not pleasant, but it also has its positive sides. Vomiting is, first of all, a protective mechanism of the body, through which all toxic, toxic substances, foreign objects come out. Cleansing, thus, the body protects itself from the negative effects.
Among the reasons for gagging, the following can be noted:
- diseases of an infectious origin;
- intoxication of the body due to poor food (in this case, most often suffer from animals that can eat anything from the trash can of the house, on the street near garbage cans or dug out of the ground);
- foreign objects trapped in the digestive tract or stuck in the esophagus, pharynx (in this case, the pet can cough for a long time, trying to get rid of the interfering object);
- getting into the respiratory tract corrosive, irritating substances, including from poisonous insects;
- The presence of parasitic microorganisms in the dog, for example, worms ;
- intestinal obstruction;
- excessive overeating;
- reaction of the body of an allergic nature;
- overheating of the animal, which provokes a heat stroke;
- dogs are very emotional animals, so stress can provoke spasms of the intestines and, as a consequence, vomit;
- defeat of the central nervous system.
Pathological vomiting and its characteristic features
Vomiting often signals about any diseases and in most cases has distinctive characteristics. The main symptoms of vomiting in dogs:
- vomiting with blood can be a symptom of diabetes , oncology, ulcerative lesions or gastric bleeding, the blood is bright red or brown, it depends on the duration of bleeding;
- vomiting a few hours after eating - often occurs against the background of cancer;
- vomiting with bile (yellow color), excrement indicates intestinal obstruction, or worm infestation (in this case the animal at every convenient moment begins to eat grass, after which vomiting occurs);
- if vomiting occurs repeatedly, is accompanied by a diarrhea, from a mouth the obvious ammonia smell proceeds, it is a sign of a disorder of renal functions (renal insufficiency) or uremia;
- repeated vomiting can be a sign of inflammation of the pancreas, gall bladder, liver colic;
- the dog vomits on an empty stomach or, as soon as it eats, it means, most likely, it has gastritis.
Read also : sterilization of dogs .
Vomiting with white foam
Often, the owners of the dog are afraid of the appearance in the pet of vomit, containing white foam. Is there any cause for concern?
In fact, this phenomenon has an explanation at the level of physiology. If vomiting occurs after a time after the dog ate, then, just for this period, it is necessary to push food from the stomach further along the gastrointestinal tract. The stomach itself is empty and its walls, as a protection against corrosive gastric juice, are covered with a layer of mucus.
The composition of the mucous coating includes proteins and polysaccharides that promote the formation of structurally-cellular masses after swallowing the air.
When vomiting a dog with white, foamy secretions, it is not worth worrying, since this phenomenon confirms that the animal does not have any serious ailments. If this happens once, then no treatment is required. If this is repeated many times, then it becomes mandatory to go to the veterinary clinic.
Vomiting white foam in the dog occurs on an empty stomach? So, it can be a violation of the functions of bile secretion, which normally should enter the large intestine after each eating. In this case, the liver secrete the necessary enzyme fluid during the famine, which acts irritatingly on the walls of the intestine. After this, the bile is forced to move into the stomach. Vomiting in the dog is not strong, after it the pet is again ready to eat. This phenomenon is not considered a pathology, and can normally be repeated every 7 days.
But if vomiting is covered not by white, but with yellow foam, then it serves as a sign of a serious ailment.
The correct actions for vomiting in a dog
Do all the owners know what to do, and even more so, what should be avoided if the pet started vomiting? Of course, first of all, you do not need to panic and sensibly assess the situation. Even if medical assistance is required, the host must observe the following rules:
- A dog that tears does not deserve blame. To scold a pet for what it can not control, does not make sense. After all, this natural process, cleansing the body of harmful effects, is necessary for further successful treatment.
- Do not try to stop vomiting.
- Only the owner can assess the situation and find out the cause of this phenomenon. Maybe the dog ate too much food, poisoned, received a heat stroke and so on - the more accurate the data received by the veterinarian, the sooner the effective treatment will be determined.
- The owner of the dog must fix the number of emetic calls, their consistency, hue, contents, and also accompanying symptoms - all this is valuable information for diagnosis of the disease.
- When vomiting the body requires maximum cleaning, so the first day should not be fed the pet. If on the second day the vomiting has passed, then you can enter into the diet liquid food without salt and spices.
- The same applies to drinking - it will have to be abandoned for a day, and instead offer the dog to lick ice cubes. If within two or three hours of vomiting did not repeat, it means that you can give the dog some low-fat chicken broth.
After the pet can be given food, it is necessary to take care of its dietary nutrition. The food is suitable for breast of turkey, chicken, fresh herbs. From cereals preference is best given to brown rice, oatmeal. Feed the dog during this period is required portionwise, a small amount, up to six times a day. Food should be necessarily fresh and warm.
If the process of vomiting is over, then on the third day you can enter into the diet of the pet habitual to him food.
Diagnosis and treatment of vomiting in dogs
In a veterinary clinic, a diagnostic study is conducted to treat vomiting in dogs, if it does not stop and is accompanied by anxiety symptoms. It includes the following procedures:
- general blood analysis;
- radiography of the abdominal cavity;
- Ultrasound of the peritoneum.
Drug therapy is prescribed according to the clinical picture and consists in the elimination of accompanying symptoms:
- To eliminate gastrointestinal spasms, a No-shpa (Drotaverin) or Papaverine is prescribed.
- To eliminate nausea and normalize gastric contractions - Cerucal.
- With increased acidity of the gastric flora and elimination of irritation, Omez is prescribed.
- If vomiting has led to a risk of dehydration, then two drugs are prescribed - both glucose and Ringer's infusion solution.
- To remove toxic components from the body of the pet, absorbent agents are assigned - Smecta, Enterosgel, Polysorb, activated charcoal.
- Often appointed homeopathic veterinary drug Verokol, used as a first aid, until the complete cessation of vomiting.
If a dog lives in the house, then you need to be prepared for the fact that she can get sick. And in some cases, first aid from the host has a decisive effect on the success of the entire treatment. The same applies to vomiting, which can be both a natural and a pathogenic phenomenon.