Unfortunately, our four-legged pets, although less often, but still get sick, and some of the ailments they suffer are heavier than people. For example, an ordinary cold in a dog can lead to unfortunate consequences, since the infection spreads through the animal's body at lightning speed, leaving the focus of inflammation and affecting vital organs and systems. This is a good reason to take time to treat the dog at the first alarming symptoms. How can you recognize the disease and help the pet with it not cope?
- Причины возникновения простуды у собак 1. Causes of colds in dogs
- Симптомы простуды у собак 2. Symptoms of colds in dogs
- Возможные осложнения на фоне простудного заболевания 3. Possible complications in the background of a cold
- Диагностирование простуды 4. Diagnosis of the common cold
- Как лечить собаку от простуды 5. How to treat a dog for a cold
- Профилактические меры 6. Preventive measures
Causes of colds in dogs
If the dog has a strong immune system, then it does not threaten any colds. Disease can only make a pet a couple of days boring, and after two or three days it comes back to normal.
Among the main global causes of colds in dogs, the following can be noted:
- Hereditary predisposition. Most often, this phenomenon is observed in representatives of decorative rocks and breeds that are amenable to mass breeding, as their gene pool is in most cases weakened. This is the cause of various pathologies and a tendency to colds.
- Poor care and irresponsible attitude of the owners. Some owners of dogs do not attach special importance to the conditions of the pet's living, especially for animals for street maintenance - on a chain or in an enclosure. Violation of these norms is inadequate, with a low nutritional diet, a lounger in the draft site, the absence of a sound booth, leaving a pet on the street in severe frosts - can lead to dog disease. Unvaccinated animals also become more common.
- The advanced age of dogs. In older animals, natural changes occur in the body, and they lead to a decrease in protective functions. Therefore, such pets need careful care, as well as a full-fledged diet suitable for this particular category of dogs.
- The incidence of disease-provoking factors. An animal can overcool by hitting after a dip under the rain, as in such conditions it loses its ability to normal thermoregulation. Often, dogs catch cold when they are outside in the cold, or for a long time in a draft.
Owners of pets of decorative breed should know that their pets have a normal temperature higher than dogs of medium and large sizes, which increases the risk of complications due to colds.
Most dogs are contact animals that enjoy walking with their congeners. But such group pastime increases the risk of infection with infectious diseases and other ailments. If a dog without vaccinations participates in the field, or if the patient is already sick, then the owner is best left the site with the pet. If this is not possible, then it is better to take your pet away to avoid contact with a sick dog.
Fleas, helminths, mites and other parasitizing insects weaken the immunity of the animal, are carriers of pathogens of dangerous diseases, inhibit the protective functions of the body, releasing toxic products of its vital activity. In this case, it is very important to carry out preventive treatment of the pet.
And if a puppy or an adult dog has gotten into the house from the street, you should visit him with a veterinary clinic and pass a series of tests.
Symptoms of colds in dogs
The cold does not leak asymptomatically, so it is important to pay attention to the condition of your pet. Among the main signs of a cold in dogs, the following can be noted:
- the sick animal has a reduced appetite, or the dog can completely refuse to eat ;
- the nostrils become dry and hot, indicating a rise in temperature;
- lymph nodes become inflamed;
- may develop conjunctivitis ;
- a cough appears in the dog;
- after exercise, breathing becomes quite frequent, dogs often have shortness of breath;
- the animal often and eagerly drinks;
- may be anxious;
- often in pets with colds, a runny nose appears, the flow from the nose causes the dog to often lick the discharge;
- the animal is hardened by a voice, barking turns into a cough with expectoration.
Of course, a dog may not have all of the symptoms, but even two or three of them are a good reason for visiting a veterinarian, diagnosing an illness with the help of certain tests and taking tests.
Possible complications in the background of a cold
In case of a disease, the body exhibits a compensatory reaction, which is its natural resistance. This manifests itself in the form of a sharp expansion of blood vessels, an increase in blood flow to the supercooled areas, an increase in the temperature regime.
But with prolonged exposure to low temperatures, the body weakens and it becomes difficult to fight. As a result, the pet gets even stronger cooling, there is a violation of thermoregulation and the activity of internal organs and systems is knocked down.
Without timely therapy, malaise becomes a serious disease, it can be inflammation of the lungs, kidneys, connective tissues.
If the animal is often sick with colds, it leads to a decrease in immunity. Such a condition makes the pet vulnerable to infectious diseases - anyone, even a weak microorganism, can significantly undermine his health.
Diagnosis of the common cold
Finding the pet in an unimportant state, the owners in most cases turn to a specialist for advice. In this case, the owner should clearly outline the picture of the disease, but some words are clearly not enough. The veterinarian needs to examine the sick animal, listen to the internal organs - the trachea, the heart muscle, the lungs. There is also a compulsory delivery of biomaterial for the general analysis of blood and urine, fence removal. Another study conducted in such cases is an analysis of C-reactive protein.
Complex diagnostics makes it possible to exclude the possibility of other diseases that have similar signs, which means that a suitable treatment will be prescribed. On the effectiveness of the measures depends on how long the pet will be cured and whether it will have any complications.
How to treat a dog for colds
If there is no way to show the dog to doctors, you can try to cure the cold yourself. Of course, in this case, the risk of incorrect diagnosis of the disease and the development of complications is great.
Among the most common actions, the following is most often used:
- First of all, it is necessary to eliminate the factors that provoked the disease. If the matter is in the wrong location of the lounger, it should be located away from the draft. If the whole matter is in insufficient warming of the booth, then this can be corrected.
- At an elevated body temperature, it is possible to give the pet a preparation of Paracetamol in tablets, calculating the rate based on the size of the dog. (1 for a large dog, 1/2 for a pet of medium size, 1/4 for a dwarf breed).
- For the time of a cold, it is better to change the pet's dry diet to wet food or natural, but mashed, food. In the diet should be added vitamin-mineral complex . It is best if the food is high-calorie, give it in a warm form.
- To eliminate cough you can use natural remedies - tincture of licorice root, decoction from mother-and-stepmother, plantain.
Of course, this may not help, as most owners find the disease in the more recent stages. But in any case, do not recommend using drugs intended for humans, for the treatment of animals.
Naturally, it is much more difficult to treat a dog than to try to avoid getting cold. Therefore, in this case, prevention is extremely important:
- It is recommended to avoid situations that can lead to the hypothermia of the pet - do not spend a long time walking with the pet in bad weather, if the dog has a poor coat, then you need to take care of special clothes and shoes.
- Street dogs need to be provided with a warmed box, do not floor the enclosure from concrete, do not bathe them in the winter.
- It should be in the winter and spring to give the pet vitamins.
- It is necessary, if possible, to avoid contact of the animal with sick dogs.
- The dog must be vaccinated , according to the vaccination schedule.
And one more important advice from veterinarians - a dog that lives in caress and care, is practically not sick.