Walking the dogs is a mandatory procedure if the pet, of course, does not go to the tray. Many are scared of such a duty, because it is necessary at the same time to be at home and go for a walk, and it does not matter if there is a mood for this, or not. For some people, this is an unbearable burden, for others it is a great way to spend time, chat with a pet and be in the fresh air. If you belong to the second category, it means that the dog is what you need. How to properly walk a dog to get maximum pleasure and deliver it to your pet?
- Полноценный выгул – сколько раз и как долго 1. Full-fledged walking - how many times and for how long
- Команды, необходимые для выгула 2. Commands required for walking
- Подходящее место для выгула 3. Suitable place for walking.
- Основные правила выгула собак и рекомендации 4. Basic dog walking rules and recommendations
Full-fledged walking - how many times and for how long
Perhaps this is the very first question that arises from the new owners of the four-legged friend. Of course, it all depends on the breed of the pet, its temperament, needs. Large and medium-sized dogs with increased activity need long runs, at least one and a half hours. Small dogs usually need 40-60 minutes.
Naturally, the time of walking depends on weather conditions. In winter, an apartment dog will not be able to be outside for a long time, long walks will only suit pets kept in aviaries.
The effect of heat can also adversely affect the condition of the animal. Most of them are prone to thermal shock. Therefore, you should either reduce the time of walking, or move the time to early morning and later evening.
The amount of walking is related to the age of the pet. Puppies up to three or four months out as often as possible - as soon as the baby spun in search of a place, it was time for a walk. Puppies 4-7 months out 4-5 times a day. Of course, the walk does not last long, about half an hour is enough. From 8 months to a year, the number of exits can be reduced to three times. One-year-old dogs can relieve themselves as adults twice a day - in the morning and in the evening. This mode remains for an adult pet, and it does not matter what breed, size and other features.
Related article : how to teach a puppy to the toilet on the street .
Commands required for walking
Once on the street, the puppy can be transformed. If at home he behaves calmly and agreeable, then liberties and garbage picking, “harassing” of passers-by, can take place on the street. In order not to worry about your pet, and walk to make a pleasant pastime, you should train the dog a certain set of commands:
- Beside! In most cases, walks require the use of a leash. But if the dog does not know how to walk nearby, constantly rushes to the side, with effort pulling the leash, then the walk will be a punishment for the pet and the owner. When the dog has mastered the team, being on a leash, it will be possible to start the task without it.
- To me! Definitely a very important team, which will definitely come in handy. To assimilate her pet, it is necessary during the walk to periodically summon him, praise and treat him with a treat. The phrase “to me!” Will allow the owner to control virtually any situation and give confidence in his abilities, especially when it comes to large pets.
- Sit! During any stop, the dog must take a sitting position, the dog must also sit down in transport. In general, this is a basic skill and many other commands the animal produces precisely from this position.
- Ugh! An important team that allows you to protect the puppy, and subsequently the adult dog from the dangers and unseemly deeds. An untrained puppy, like a child, he can pick up leftovers on the street and not even edible things, any animal - a cat, a rat, a squirrel will make him rush without dismantling the road, he may be interested in passersby, which the latter may not like. This team, a kind of ban, protecting, first of all, the pet.
- Aport! The team needed active pets who need a strong physical exertion. Appropriation is not only a waste of excess energy by a dog, but also a great deal of joy and pleasure for most.
Of course, training is a lot of different teams, but for walking it’s quite enough. The main thing is to be able to apply them correctly. For example, if a dog rushes after a cat, then the command “Fu!” Should stop him, and “To me!” Will make him come up. If the dog does not do this, it means that she has not fully mastered the material. It is necessary to demand complete submission, the command must be heard and understood the first time. The animal must understand that the main thing is man, and only he can dictate terms.
Suitable place for walking
Unfortunately, we do not have many suitable places for walking animals. But from the available it is necessary to select the best options. You can not display the animal in the following places:
- playgrounds, generally it is better to avoid them;
- abandoned wastelands;
- near abandoned construction sites or unsuitable for exploitation of buildings, such places are fraught with various dangers for the pet;
- territories around kindergartens, schools and other children's institutions.
City park areas, squares will be a great place to walk with a pet. If there are nearby special areas for games and dog training, you should definitely visit them. Pets with a formidable temper, and even more impressive sizes, it is better to take them to such places in the absence of other dogs. If they are mostly tolerant of people, they can show aggression towards their fellows.
On weekends it is advisable to arrange a dog out of town. A walk into the forest, on a reservoir, will definitely appreciate a pet.
Proper walking of dogs on video:
Basic dog walking rules and recommendations
Professionals know how to make joint walks comfortable, it is worth taking some recommendations into service:
- It is recommended to feed the dog before walking at least 30 minutes.
- It is necessary to adhere to the diet and comply with the size of the portion, it will allow your pet to withstand time from one walking to another.
- In order for movement on a leash to be convenient for everyone - the dog itself, the owner and others, it is necessary to be able to control the tension of the leash and its length. It is necessary to teach the dog to walk half a meter from the owner, without arbitrary attempts to increase the distance. Also it is necessary to slightly tighten the leash, it will remind the pet that you should not run forward.
- In the process of education must be present encouragement - food, stroking or affectionate word. This can greatly speed up the learning process. Good behavior is also an occasion for praise.
- During the walks you should definitely have something tasty with you - special snacks from the pet shop, pieces of meat or cheese. This will allow the walk to combine with educational moments.
- If the pet has recently become unmanageable on the street, you can grab a water spray with you. This will help cool his ardor.
- Any pet accessory should not bring him discomfort, this also applies to the collar. He should sit tight, but not put pressure on the neck of the animal. You can check this by sticking two fingers under it. If they passed, then everything is in order and the dog is quite comfortable.
- You must comply with certain safety requirements. In crowded places, representatives of large and medium breeds must wear a muzzle. Dogs of all sizes must be kept on a leash.
- It is worth taking care of the safety and the pet. It is possible to lower it from the leash only in deserted places and far from the carriageway.
- An important tool to monitor and correct the behavior of the animal, is the voice. Dogs are sensitive to intonation, so after any properly performed action the dog should hear a benevolent “good”, “well done”, etc. If the dog behaves in an inappropriate way, for example, snaps at other dogs, shows aggression, then the commands should be given in a stern, loud voice.
- At first it is necessary to follow the same route so that the dog gets used to walking and does not get nervous. Subsequently, you can change them so that the dog gets new impressions.
- In long walks worth taking with you drinking water. Young animals and puppies can get hungry, so you can take care of any food, taking with them pieces of vegetables or fruits.
- Taking the dog to the house, you need to take care of the health of the animal. Therefore, be sure to put vaccinations, according to the available vaccination schedule . Vaccinations against rabies , distemper , various infectious and viral diseases will help protect the pet from severe and sometimes fatal ailments that dogs become infected with while walking and interacting with other animals.
- Another nuisance is parasites. They trap dogs at every step and can penetrate inside the body - parasitic worms, or damage the skin - fleas, ticks. It is necessary to carry out deworming twice a year, and also to treat the animal's hair with special preparations for fleas and ticks. In the warm season, it is recommended to put a special collar with insecticidal action on the dog.
The dog needs care and protection, so the owner should not lose vigilance during walks. Do not let her out of sight. If the animal is prone to escapes, then it is better to give up the idea of letting it go. In no case can one resort to the practice of self-conviction, since this leads to disastrous consequences.