In Russia, the Portuguese water dog is considered to be quite rare. In addition, sheared "Portuguese" are often mistaken for more common poodles. But the owners of Portuguese water dogs are sure that it is impossible to find the second such pet! Thanks to their patience, high intelligence and comprehension, they make excellent companions, and the original dog hair, suitable for haircuts, and other qualities make them frequent visitors of various exhibition events.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы 2. Description of the breed
- Характер португальской водяной собаки 3. The nature of the Portuguese water dog
- Дрессировка 4. Training
- Уход и содержание 5. Care and maintenance
- Кормление 6. Feeding
- Здоровье и наследственность 7. Health and heredity
- Фото португальской водяной собаки 8. Photos of a Portuguese water dog
- Видео 9. Video
- Покупка щенка и стоимость породы 10. Buying a puppy and breed cost
Already by the name of the breed, it can be understood that its representatives are from Portugal. As early as the 16th century, local hunters and fishermen used dogs with a compact build and water-repellent coat as helpers for fishing. The dogs were trusted by the fish in the net, they also pursued the game and did the work of the messengers between the courts and the land.
On the Iberian Peninsula, these dogs were due to navigators from Persia. In those days, it was mostly peasant livestock farmers who lived here, and dogs became excellent guards, shepherds, assistants in various economic matters.
To this day, the breed has been preserved not without the help of the ship magnate, Dr. Vasco Bensuade, who imbued with her representatives and decided to create a club of rare breeds. This allowed not only to increase the number of dogs and fans of the breed, the Portuguese water dog received the right to participate in European exhibitions.
The constitution of representatives of this breed depends largely on how active they are, and what they eat. An ideal water dog from Portugal should move a lot, swim, it will allow it to have developed muscles, strong bones and not an ounce of excess fat.
These dogs have a square format, they have a strong back, muscular body, hidden by a fluffy coat. The growth of dogs varies from 50 to 57 cm, weight - from 19 to 25 kg, females are more compact, their growth is 43-52 cm, weighing from 16 to 22 kg.
In accordance with the standard, pedigree representatives are as follows:
- The head is rather wide, proportional in size to the body, it has clear outlines, the occipital tubercle is well pronounced, powerful cheekbones and well developed superciliary arches. Well-marked transition from the frontal to the nasal part, there is a separation groove.
- Noticeable narrowing of the muzzle from the base to the nose. Lips do not hang down, tightly pressed to the teeth, pigmented with the same color as the nose. The teeth are large, especially the fangs are large, but they are hidden by the lips and do not protrude. Create the correct bite on the type of "scissors".
- Nose is large, mobile, wide nostrils, distinguished by high sensitivity. The color of the nose is directly dependent on the color of the coat, most often the lobe is black, less often - brown.
- The eyes are large, round-shaped, expressive, with pigmented dry eyelids, which completely covers the conjunctiva. The shade of the iris varies from almost black to brown, without light areas.
- Auricles broad at the base, large, located above the eye line. In shape, they resemble a leaf of a tree, their tips have a smooth rounding.
- The format of the body in Portuguese water dogs is square, that is, the length of the body is almost equal to their height. In bitches allowed moderate elongation of the body.
- The neck is long, there are no folds on it, a suspension, it is characterized by strong muscles. Thorax moderately wide, spacious. The ribs are spring, well curved, which provides a large volume of light.
- The back is even and short, with a slight withers, the loins are so short that they almost merge with the croup, they have a slight bulge.
- The inguinal line is matched, there is an undermining, which is invisible under the coat.
- The front limbs , when viewed from the front, stand straight, seen from the side, have a slight slope, and are equipped with developed muscles. The shoulder is well developed, the forearms are voluminous, the wrists are long, they are flexible, the pasterns are inclined.
- Hips are covered with relief muscles, they are wide, elongated, with large knees and hocks. The hands have an oval shape and large fingers.
- The tail has an average length, located at a medium height, not thick, elegant. When the dog is calm, the tail is in a free or slightly raised state. During excitation rises above the back line and twists into a half ring.
Wool coat and colors
The whole body of the "Portuguese" is covered with a thick, dense, thick coat of hair, in the area of the forelimbs, chest and groin line of the guard hairs slightly thinner. Dogs do not have undercoat, mane or fur collar.
There are individuals of two types: some have curly wool that curls into curls. For others, it is wavy, shiny, falling down. The standard allows both types of coat, all others are related to marriage.
As for colors, there are several:
- pure black coat;
- white wool with brown spots;
- the main tone is black or brown, additional - white;
- white - allowed if the dog is not an albino.
Portuguese Water Dog Character
The primary purpose of these pets is to help a person in hard work in every way, which could not but reflect on their character. They were required to be able to quickly adapt in any conditions and fully obey the owner.
"Portuguese" have high endurance, poise, patience and observation. They can cover large areas with a glance, and even sniffer dogs can envy their keen sense of smell. Such a pet can carefully monitor everything that happens around and intervene if the situation requires it.
The dogs of this breed have a sharp mind, according to their intellect they are compared to German and Scottish shepherd dogs, to which they are not inferior. But this quality can turn against the owners if they do not have enough time to train and educate their four-legged friend. Not being able to realize their abilities, the dog will send them in a different direction - it can mess, show obstinacy, not obey.
The character of the pet combines two opposite qualities: independence and the greatest dedication. Being rather capricious, the dog can be obedient and childish.
Pet is very friendly to family members, not averse to chat with guests, who often visit the host and the household. He always wants to please the owner, and his obstinate temper, with the right approach to learning, turns out to be nothing more than mischief.
But the owner should not forget that his pet is a serious dog, with whom he should not lisp, he demands respect and attitude towards himself, like other family members. There are several main features that the future owners of the Portuguese water dog should be known in advance:
- the pet is inclined to choose among family members of one owner;
- representatives of this breed are very contacty, they get along well with other pets;
- A puppy of this breed can be brought to a family with children, the pet also gets along well with older people.
Portuguese water dog is called a real antidepressant, it is recommended to start such a four-way friend to people who are prone to depressive moods. In Europe, dogs of this breed are actively used in rehabilitation centers for psychological support of patients.
The “Portuguese” are quite active and inquisitive, therefore they are positive about learning. But if they do not like something, they will definitely show their character. Therefore, experts recommend starting to educate and train a pet as soon as possible.
Do not think that a small puppy is not able to assimilate the team. In fact, a set of basic commands dog can run since 2 months. And thanks to early socialization, the pet will quickly understand how to behave “in society”. To do this, it must be brought to public places, given the opportunity to communicate with people and other animals.
It is desirable that the puppy could communicate with their own kind, well-educated individuals, ideally, if they belong to the same breed. Of course, being not yet burdened with good manners, the kid can get “slapped” by older brothers, but do not worry - he will remember this lesson for a long time.
If profile training is supposed, then it is best to entrust it to an experienced instructor. But if the owner has some knowledge and skills, then he can independently train his four-legged friend.
Serious training is recommended to start with six months, by this age, the "Portuguese" is very clever, assiduous and understanding. Monotonous, simple tasks seem to him boring and too easy.
It is not necessary to facilitate the task of the pet during training, it is important that the dog himself thought, showed ingenuity and ingenuity. It is important to select a set of creative tasks that would train not only the physical condition, but also the intellect, as well as reinforce the innate instincts.
Care and maintenance
If you choose the ideal conditions for the maintenance of the "Portuguese", then it should be a private house with the possibility of samovygul on the local area and mandatory morning and evening promenades with the owner.
Owners who decide to have such a pet in an apartment should be taken into account - they will have to walk with their pet more often and longer than with representatives of other breeds. Puppies "Portuguese" are very intelligent, they quickly learn to do "business" on a rag or diaper.
The coat of these dogs is long, structured, it requires regular, but simple care. It is enough to purchase a special brush, suitable for curls, and regularly comb your pet. Such procedures will provide a beautiful appearance of the coat, protect it from the formation of mats and clean it from debris and dirt.
An additional advantage of dogs of this breed is that they do not have a specific smell. In winter, with long walks, wool can stray into dense, snowy lumps, therefore it is recommended to dress the dog in overalls. Wool "Portuguese", like other water species, repels water and dirt, so it does not need frequent washing. It is enough to bathe the dog with the use of detergents once every 5-6 months.
Most dogs of this breed love the water and do not miss the opportunity to swim in the near pond. If it is hot, then after the water procedure, the animal should always be blotted with a towel. It is worth remembering that many parasites live in fresh water, so do not forget about regular preventive deworming.
Hair around the eyes deserves special attention, it is recommended to wipe it daily. Every day, you should clean the ears of the animal, using a cotton pad dipped in boiled water or a special tool. The teeth of the "Portuguese" are strong, large, but need regular preventive examinations. If the dog enamel quickly covered with bloom, then it must be removed using a brush.
We should not forget about the treatment of a pet from external parasitic insects - ticks, fleas, even mosquitoes are carriers of dangerous infections, which these representatives suffer more heavily than other dogs. In the summer, it is recommended to wear a pet insecticide collar.
Dog owners have a choice - to feed a pet with natural food or to choose a suitable production diet. The dog will be healthy and cheerful, and his fur will shine, if he is given high quality food - premium or super-premium. Usually they contain all the necessary components, and their composition is as balanced as possible. In addition to introduce vitamin-mineral complexes with such nutrition is not required.
If the owner prefers natural feeding, you will have to take care of the four-legged friend to get the necessary amount of protein, fat and carbohydrates. Usually in this case the dog needs an additional source of vitamins. Choose a suitable complex will help a veterinarian.
Portuguese water dogs are not lazy, they can spend a lot of energy. So, their diet should contain a large amount of protein. In winter, dogs kept outside need to increase their ration of food.
Health and heredity
The breed is quite rare, so there is practically no information about what hereditary diseases its representatives suffer from. It is precisely known that among the diseases caused by a gene or a chromosomal mutation, puppies may develop acne, dermatological ailments, epilepsy.
During the period of intensive growth, the manifestation of neurological disorders is possible: tic, short-term paralysis of the extremities, such conditions occur when the tissues of the joints pinch the nerve roots.
Photo of a Portuguese water dog
Buying a puppy and breed value
In Russia, dogs of this breed are very rare, so you have to look for experienced breeders or kennels, which, in fact, are very few. You may have to reserve your baby and wait for some time.
There is little information about the breed, so fraudsters are not asleep, giving different curly mestizos for purebred "Portuguese". Buying a puppy without documents, a person risks acquiring an ordinary mongrel. Yes, she is likely to be an excellent member of the family, regardless of the breed, but the surprise will not be a pleasant one.
A Portuguese dog puppy is quite expensive, future owners will have to pay from 70,000 to 200,000 rubles.
The Portuguese water dog attracts lovers of rare breeds, and as a result, literally wins their hearts. Such a pet will be an excellent companion, friend and even family member.