In Russia, the Portuguese water dog is considered quite rare. In addition, sheared "Portugueses" are often mistaken for more common poodles. But the owners of Portuguese water dogs are sure that it is impossible to find a second such pet! Thanks to the patience, high intelligence and intelligence of them are excellent companions, and the original dog hair, suitable for haircuts, and other qualities make them regulars of various exhibition events.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы 2. Description of the breed
- Характер португальской водяной собаки 3. The nature of the Portuguese water dog
- Дрессировка 4. Training
- Уход и содержание 5. Care and maintenance
- Кормление 6. Feeding
- Здоровье и наследственность 7. Health and heredity
- Фото португальской водяной собаки 8. Photo of the Portuguese water dog
- Видео 9. Videos
- Покупка щенка и стоимость породы 10. Purchasing a puppy and the cost of a breed
Origin of the breed
Already by the name of the breed you can understand that its representatives are from Portugal. Local hunters and fishermen in the 16th century used dogs with a compact constitution and water-repellent hair as assistants for fishing. The dogs were entrusted with a corral of fish in the net, they also pursued game and performed the work of messengers between courts and land.
On the Iberian peninsula, these dogs were found thanks to mariners from Persia. In those distant times, mainly farmers lived here, engaged in cattle breeding, and the dogs became excellent guards, shepherds, assistants in various economic affairs.
Until now, the breed survived not without the help of the ship magnate, Dr. Vasco Bensouade, who was imbued with its representatives and decided to create a club of rare breeds. This allowed not only to increase the number of dogs and fans of the breed, the Portuguese water dog was eligible to participate in European exhibitions.
The constitution of the representatives of this breed depends largely on how active the image they lead, and what they eat. An ideal water dog from Portugal should move a lot, swim, it will allow it to have developed muscles, strong bones and a gram of excess fat.
These dogs have a square format, they have a strong back, a muscular body, hidden by a lush woolly covering. The growth of the dogs varies from 50 to 57 cm, weight - from 19 to 25 kg, females are more compact, their growth is 43-52 cm, weighs from 16 to 22 kg.
In accordance with the standard, thoroughbred representatives look like this:
- The head is wide enough, proportional to the size of the body, has clear outlines, well expressed occipital mound, powerful cheekbones and well developed superciliary arches. The transition from the frontal to the nose is well pronounced, there is a separation groove.
- Noticeably narrowing the muzzle from the bottom to the nose. Lips do not hang, they are pressed tightly to the teeth, pigmented with the same color as the nose. Teeth large, especially large are fangs, but they are hidden by the lips and do not protrude outward. Create the right bite by the type of "scissors".
- Nose large, mobile, nostrils wide, characterized by high sensitivity. The color of the nose directly depends on the color of the coat, most often the lobe is black, less often - brown.
- The eyes are large, round in shape, expressive, with pigmented dry eyelids that completely cover the conjunctiva. The color of the iris varies from almost black to brown, without light areas.
- The auricles are wide at the base, large, located above the line of the eyes. In form they resemble a leaf of a tree, their tips have a smooth rounding.
- The body size of the Portuguese water dogs is square, that is - the length of the trunk is almost equal to their height. In bitches allowed a moderate elongation of the body.
- The neck is long, without wrinkles, hanging, characterized by strong muscles. The chest is moderately wide, spacious. The ribs are spring-loaded, well arched, which provides a large volume of lungs.
- The smooth and short back with a weakly expressed withers, the loin is so short that it almost merges with the croup, they have a small bulge.
- The inguinal line is picked up, there is an undermining, which is invisible under the wool cover.
- The forelimbs , when viewed from the front, stand erect, when viewed from the side, they have a slight inclination and are equipped with well-developed muscles. The shoulder is well developed, the forearms are voluminous, the wrists are long, they are flexible, the pasterns are inclined.
- The hips are covered with relief muscles, they are wide, elongated, with large knees and hocks. The brushes have an oval shape and large fingers.
- The tail is of medium length, located at medium height, thin, elegant. When the dog is calm, the tail is in a loose or slightly elevated state. During excitation, rises above the line of the back and twists into a semicircle.
Coat and colors
All the body of the "Portuguese" is covered with a thick, dense, thick woolly covering, in the region of the forelimbs, thorax and inguinal line of the outer hair is somewhat thinner. Dogs do not have undercoat, mane or fur collar.
There are individuals of two types: some have curly wool, which curls into curls-cylinders. Others - it is wavy, shiny, falls down. The standard allows both types of wool cover, all the rest refer to marriage.
As for the colors, there are a few:
- pure black coat;
- White wool with brown spots;
- the main tone is black or brown, optional - white;
- white - allowed if the dog is not an albino.
The nature of the Portuguese water dog
The primary purpose of these pets is to help the person in hard work in every possible way, which could not but affect their character. They required the ability to adapt quickly in any conditions and completely obey the master.
"Portuguese" have high endurance, poise, patience and observation. They can cover the view of large areas, and their sharp scent can be envied even by dog-snoopers. Such a pet can closely monitor everything that happens around and intervene if the situation requires it.
Dogs of this breed have an acute mind, in intelligence they are compared to German and Scottish shepherds, to whom they are in no way inferior. But this quality can turn against owners if they do not have enough time to train and educate their four-legged friend. Unable to realize their abilities, the dog will direct them to a different channel - can foul, show obstinacy, not obey.
In the nature of the pet, two opposing qualities are combined: independence and the greatest devotion. Being quite capricious, the dog can be obedient and childish.
The pet is very friendly to family members, does not mind meeting with guests who often visit the owner and the household. He always wants to please the owner, and his obstinate nature, with the right approach to learning, turns out to be nothing but mischief.
But the owner did not forget that his pet - a serious dog, which should not lisp, he demands the respect and attitude as the rest of the family members. There are several main features that the future owners of a Portuguese water dog should know in advance:
- the pet is inclined to choose among the members of the family one master;
- representatives of this breed are very contact, they get along well with other pets;
- A puppy of this breed can be introduced to a family with children, the pet also gets along well with the elderly.
The Portuguese water dog is called a true antidepressant, it is recommended that people who are prone to depressive mood should get such a four-footed friend. In Europe, dogs of this breed are actively used in rehabilitation centers for psychological support of patients.
"The Portuguese" are quite active and curious, so they are positive about learning. But if they do not like something, they will necessarily show their character. Therefore, experts recommend starting to educate and train the pet as early as possible.
Do not think that a small puppy is not able to learn commands. In fact, a set of basic commands the dog can perform already with 2 months. And thanks to early socialization, the pet will quickly understand how to behave "in society". To do this, it must be taken out to crowded places, and given the opportunity to communicate with people and other animals.
It is desirable that the puppy can communicate with himself similar, well-bred individuals, ideally, if they are related to the same breed. Of course, while not yet burdened with good manners, the kid can get a "slap in the face" from older brothers, but do not worry - he will remember this lesson for a long time.
If the profile training is supposed, then it is best to entrust it to an experienced instructor. But if the owner has some knowledge and skills, then he can independently teach his four-legged friend.
Serious training is recommended to begin with half a year, to this age the "Portuguese" is very clever, diligent and understandable. Monotonous, simple tasks seem to him boring and too easy.
It is not necessary to facilitate the pet task during training, it is important that the dog himself thought, showed ingenuity and ingenuity. It is important to select a set of creative tasks that would train not only the physical state, but also the intellect, and also strengthen the innate instincts.
Care and maintenance
If you choose the ideal conditions for keeping the "Portuguese", then it should be a private house with the possibility of self-walking in the local area and mandatory morning and evening promenades with the host.
Owners who decide to have such a pet in the apartment must take into account that walking with a pet will have to take longer and longer than with representatives of other breeds. Puppies "Portugueses" are very smart, they quickly get used to doing "tricks" on a rag or diaper.
The wool of these dogs is long, structured, it requires regular, but uncomplicated care. It is enough to buy a special brush, suitable for curls, and regularly comb the pet. Such procedures will provide a beautiful appearance to the coat, protect it from the formation of coils and clear of debris and dirt.
An additional advantage of dogs of this breed - they do not have a specific smell. In winter, during long walks, the wool may get lost in dense, snowballs, so it is recommended to coat the dog in overalls. The wool of the "Portuguese", like other water rocks, repels water and dirt, so it does not need frequent washing. Bathe the dog with detergents only once every 5-6 months.
Most dogs of this breed love water and do not miss the opportunity to swim in the nearest pond. If there is a heat, then after the water procedure, the animal should necessarily get soaked with a towel. It is worth remembering that many parasites live in fresh water, so you should not forget about regular preventive deworming.
Special attention should be given to fur around the eyes, it is recommended to wipe it daily. Every day, you should clean the ears of an animal using a cotton pad moistened with boiled water or a special remedy. The teeth of the "Portuguese" are strong, large, but they need regular preventive examinations. If the dog's enamel is quickly covered with bloom, then it must necessarily be removed using a brush.
We must not forget about the treatment of the pet from external insect parasites - ticks, fleas, even mosquitoes are carriers of dangerous infections that these representatives suffer heavier than other dogs. In the summer it is recommended to put on the pet an insecticide collar.
Dog owners have a choice - to feed the pet with natural food or to pick up a suitable production diet. The dog will be healthy and cheerful, and its fur will shine if it is given a high-quality food - premium or super-premium. Usually they contain all the necessary components, and their composition is as balanced as possible. In addition, vitamin-mineral complexes with such nutrition will not be required.
If the owner prefers natural feeding, then he will have to take care of himself so that the four-legged friend receives the necessary amount of protein, fat, carbohydrates. Usually in this case the dog needs an additional source of vitamins. To find a suitable complex will help the veterinarian.
Portuguese water dogs are not lazy, they can spend a lot of energy. So, their diet should contain a large amount of protein. In winter, dogs kept on the street need to increase the portion of food.
Health and heredity
The breed is quite rare, so there is practically no information about what kind of hereditary ailments its representatives suffer. It is well known that among the diseases caused by a gene or chromosomal mutation puppies can develop acne, dermatological diseases, epilepsy.
During the period of intensive growth, neurological disorders may appear: teak, short-term paralysis of the limbs, similar conditions occur when the joint tissues pinch the nerve roots.
Photo of the Portuguese water dog
Purchase a puppy and breed cost
In Russia, dogs of this breed are very rare, so it will be necessary to look for experienced breeders or nurseries, which, in fact, are very few. Maybe you have to reserve the baby and wait for a while.
There is not much information about the breed, so scammers do not doze off, giving out different curly Métis for purebred "Portuguese". Buying a puppy without documents, a person risks acquiring an ordinary mongrel. Yes, she is likely to become an excellent member of the family, regardless of the breed, but the surprise will not be pleasant.
A puppy of a Portuguese dog is quite expensive, future owners will have to pay from 70,000 to 200,000 rubles.
The Portuguese water dog attracts fans of rare breeds, and as a result, literally conquers their hearts. Such a pet will become an excellent companion, friend and even family member.