Did a four-legged friend appear in the house? It is necessary to immediately determine for him a separate place, not forgetting to notify the pet about it. And, besides, you need to make the area cozy and comfortable, providing bedding for the dog, on which she will be happy to rest. In addition, dog litter is an island of safety where the pet feels calm and relaxed. From what should be made bed for the pet and what to navigate when choosing?
- Критерии выбора подстилки для собак 1. Criteria for choosing litter for dogs
- Подстилка для собак, содержащихся на улице 2. Bedding for dogs kept outside
- Подстилка для собаки, содержащейся в квартире 3. Dog bedding in the apartment
Criteria for choosing a dog litter
First of all, you should consider where the dog is kept. Different requirements are imposed on the bedding for the apartment and the booth. First of all, you need to pay attention to the following points:
- The quality of the material from which the dog bed is made. It is desirable that he was the most wear-resistant, easy to maintain and comfortable for the pet. Dogs tend to get ready for bed for a long time, spinning in one place, trying to rake up the litter with their claws. Not every material can withstand such treatment. If the choice fell on soft products covered with covers, it is desirable that they be removable - suitable for washing and convenient for drying. Naturally, the best covering litter - natural materials, this is especially important for dogs suffering from allergies .
- The litter size should fit your pet. Dogs, like humans, have favorite poses for sleeping. If the dog prefers to sleep, curled up, then it is better to get a bed bench of a round or oval shape. Well, if it is equipped with bumpers. For dogs pulling out during sleep, mattress-shaped litter will do. The size is calculated in such a way that when you put it on the pet's litter, there is still some room left. If she is dog close, then, most likely, the pet will ignore its berth.
Litter for dogs kept outside
The materials that are used for bedding for dogs that live on a chain or in an aviary perform not only the function of a berth, but also the means to maintain order and cleanliness in the aviary or yard. The most commonly used bulk materials are not suitable for an apartment, which have the following properties:
- easily accessible - they are easy to purchase, and they are inexpensive;
- replaced quickly and easily.
Materials for long-term use are not suitable for the street, as in such conditions it is unhygienic and causes difficulties in care. To wash, clean the street litter is a laborious and thankless job, which may not give the expected results. In most cases, the litter does not get the same look. Among the common materials are the following:
- Sawdust - suitable for covering the floor in the enclosures of adult pets. It is better to take pine or cedar. Differ in high hygroscopicity, perfectly dry a floor after rains. Moisture sawdust simply sweep away and fill the fresh material. Convenient to clean, as it is enough to remove particularly contaminated part of the litter. Full replacement is carried out before disinfection treatment. It is not recommended to use them for puppies, as babies lead a very active lifestyle, often run and ride. In this case, the smallest particles of sawdust and their dust, rising into the air, penetrate into the eyes, ears, and respiratory organs of dogs. Sawdust is not suitable for breeds that have soft long hair - sawdust clogged in the coat.
- The shavings are larger than sawdust, therefore its particles do not rise into the air, it does not dust. But its hygroscopic properties are lower, so the bedding of chips should be more dense. This will ensure a high-quality collection of moisture and floor insulation. The chips are suitable for covering the floor of any material.
- A dry leaf is an excellent analogue of chips used in areas where many broad-leaved trees grow. Fallen leaves are collected, dried and used for lining the booth. It is important to ensure that during storage the leaves are not damp. A dense layer of leaves in the booth will make the pet's home warm. For care, it is enough to sprinkle a new batch of material when the old litter fails.
- Straw is a good material for litter, unfortunately, it is very different in accessibility for different areas, as in some places the price for it is quite high. The straw is lined with a thick, dense layer on the floor of the booth and acts as an absorbent - all the liquid penetrates into the lower layers and is absorbed there, but the surface remains completely dry. The litter is replaced when moisture remains in its upper part. The straw is suitable for pets of any age and breed, is an excellent heater.
- Hay - also used as litter, but inferior in properties to straw. Moreover, the higher the quality of hay, the worse the litter from it will turn out. Thin stalks of grass when used turn into dust and quickly rot. Hay quickly absorbs moisture, gets wet through and limp. In addition, hay dust is a powerful allergen that can cause unpleasant symptoms in a dog.
See also: all about pampers for dogs .
Laying for dogs contained in the apartment
The most successful, in the eyes of the owner, may look like a plastic sheet - cheap, well-washed, durable. But the pet, most likely, will not agree, since there is little comfort in such a lounger. The dog will like more soft, cozy litter. There are a lot of similar products on sale, besides, the litter can be made with your own hands.
Several important qualities at once - hygiene, comfort, warmth - include combined veterinary loungers made of woven base and faux fur. Even the most playful pet is difficult to spoil such a product, since it is difficult to chew it, it is characterized by increased durability. Such litters are suitable for washing in a typewriter, liquids penetrate inside, leaving the surface dry.
On sale you can find veterinary beds of various shapes and sizes. Experts recommend having two litters - when washing one, the other is used.
For dogs that can meet the needs of the house (elderly, ill, puppies), you can use reusable litter made of absorbent materials.
Technologies do not stand still and today you can purchase special cooling mats, the use of which is important in the summer. For the winter you can find warming mats - thermofoams. The second option is very suitable for hairless dogs and breeds with a poor coat. In addition, each option is convenient to use in the car or other transport.
Laying for dogs with their own hands
If you want to make a pet litter yourself, then this is a great option, with many advantages:
- Who, no matter how master, knows the habits of his pet; in the manufacture can take into account the various nuances.
- A thing made with love and a dog is pleasant.
- You can more accurately determine the size, so that the pet has enough space, and the product is located on the territory of the apartment.
- It is possible to choose the fabric, bypassing the sparkling synthetics, and give preference to more natural materials.
- At production it is possible to adhere to style of an interior and the laying will organically fit.
- Focusing on financial opportunities, you can save money, while providing your pet a convenient place.
When choosing a material, it is necessary to give preference to a fabric to which wool does not stick, and it will endure numerous washings. The easiest way to sew a litter is to combine two types of fabric. Warm, pleasant to the touch material is placed on top, more durable, hard - from below.
It is very important to avoid slippery material that will be difficult to be fixed on the floor. Such litter can be traumatic, both for the animal and for other family members.
If you want the dog bedding to be more warm and soft, you can place a synthetic winterizer, foam rubber, a piece of a quilt between the layers of fabric. Crumpled paper can be used for printing, but not newspapers, as printing ink is harmful to animals. Of course, such a product is not washable, so it is better to provide it with a removable cover.
Such litters will not suit puppies, as they try everything on the tooth and litter, most likely, will not withstand such an onslaught, and the puppy may swallow harmful materials. Do-it-yourselfers can make a more stationary lounger, making its basis of chipboard or plywood, placing insulation and sheeting fabric. The process is quite time-consuming, but the pet will appreciate such works.
By the way, the pet itself doesn’t care if its bedding is bought in a fashionable boutique, or made from improvised means. It is important for him to feel the care of the owner.
Having a litter, you should follow several rules:
- do not equip the dog's place near the heating devices;
- it is better to keep the pet away from drafts;
- it is better to place the litter in a more secluded place, as dogs sometimes want to be alone with themselves.
Comfortable bedding located in the right place is what a four-legged friend needs. And a little caress and attention.