Skin covers in dogs are much more sensitive than in humans. Therefore, what people feel after the bite of insects, can not be compared with the sensations of our pets. Given that dogs are much more often attacked by bloodsucking parasites, this phenomenon can be called a real disaster for them. One of the parasites is a subcutaneous mite in dogs or demodicosis, it not only causes discomfort, but also causes various diseases of the animal. To protect pets at 100% of it can not, so the owners of dogs know better what kind of parasite and how to deal with it.
- Демодекоз: основная информация о болезни 1. Demodecosis: basic information about the disease
- Разновидности демодекоза у собак 2. Species of demodecosis in dogs
- Симптомы демодекоза у собак 3. Symptoms of demodectic infection in dogs
- Что делать, если собаку укусил клещ 4. What to do if a dog is bitten by a tick
- Лечение демодекоза у собак 5. Treatment of demodectic in dogs
Demodicosis: basic information about the disease
This invasive disease, in another way - the sternum, which causes endoparasitic mites, localized inside the sebaceous glands, hair follicles, and also penetrate into internal organs.
The manifestation of demodicosis is skin dermatitis , hyperkeratosis (thickening of the stratum corneum of the epithelium), damage to tissues of internal organs, general exhaustion of the body.
There are recorded cases of diagnosing the disease in 2-month-old puppies, but most often infection with subcutaneous mites occurs in young dogs - from six months to two years of age.
The so-called "youthful" demodicosis most often infects individuals of the following breeds:
The defeat of the mite is localized, that is, only one part of the body is affected, or generalized - when the mite spreads through various tissues and organs. Given the varying degrees of damage, there is no single prediction for cure.
With a localized form, the lesion is present only on one part of the body, but there can be several patches. This type of disease is benign in nature and the main symptom is the hyperemia of the skin in the limbs or muzzle. If the ailment is accompanied by an infection of bacterial origin, it is possible to form suppuration or dry skin.
At a given degree of the disease, the prognosis is quite favorable. In 90% of cases, there is a sudden remission for a period of three weeks to two months, regardless of the therapy used. In other cases, demodecosis in dogs develops into a more complex - generalized form. There are rocks that are prone to this form of defeat by the subcutaneous mite:
Allocate a certain number of factors that contribute to the localized form of the disease flowed into the generalized:
- genetic predisposition;
- the state of the immune system;
- the presence of diseases associated with the endocrine system. (Cushing's syndrome, oncology, etc.)
In this situation, the forecast is difficult to give, often relapses of the disease. Only in 50% of cases dogs are restored without the use of special therapy. But only on the condition that secondary infection suppresses immune mechanisms.
Subcutaneous mites are more likely to suffer from pets with reduced resistance to infection, in the risk group the following breeds:
- dwarf pinschers;
- boxers and others.
Young individuals with immunodeficiency are often infected. The disease is transmitted by contact, in communication with carriers of the parasite or sick animals. In addition, the dog can become infected through care items and various materials.
Species of demodectic in dogs
Having fallen on the animal's skin, parasites can cause three kinds of diseases:
- Scaled demodicosis is the main symptom of the disease - scaling of the skin surface. In this case, the risk of getting onto affected areas of pathogenic bacteria increases, which causes a strong inflammatory process.
- Pustular demodicosis - on the skin there are small compacted nodules - pustules, their size does not exceed 3-4 mm. Of the pustules, purulent exudate with a putrefactive odor is secreted. Bloody-purulent discharge wilt on the skin of the pet, forming brown crusts. This type of disease requires long-term therapy.
- Often in dogs, both forms of the disease develop simultaneously, in this case the animal loses its appetite, since the mite is most often localized on the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
Symptoms of demodectic infection in dogs
In most cases, the subcutaneous mite first affects the area of the dog's head - eyebrows, lips, cheeks, after suffering neck, joint paws, in the case of generalized form, other parts of the body are affected. At the localization of the parasite, the following is observed:
- the skin turns red, crackles, suppuration is formed;
- on the affected areas, wool falls out , bald patches are formed;
- itching may be absent or be weak, therefore, when demodectic, the dog sometimes does not itch, but can lick the places of bites; but if it does, the animal will itch constantly;
- pus, which stands out from the pustules, smells of rot;
- the dog can shiver even in hot weather, as the disease breaks thermoregulation.
Initially, small lesions increase with time. All inflamed surfaces are deprived of a wool cover. Naturally, the disease reflects on the behavior of the dog, the pet becomes sluggish, irritable, tries to avoid communication even with its owner.
What to do if a dog is bitten by a tick
Of course, all the owners are interested in the question, but is it possible to remove the parasite on its own? The answer is negative, and you should not even try to do it. Ticks penetrate into the hair follicles and glands, and they are on the body of the animal a great many.
Every dog owner should know what to do and how to behave correctly in this case:
- Firstly, you should not try to treat the pet yourself, as even an experienced veterinarian does not easily diagnose a subcutaneous tick. Therefore, once the lesions were found, it is necessary to immediately deliver the animal to the clinic.
- Secondly, it is necessary to facilitate the task of the specialist by preparing a detailed anamnesis - the sex, the age of the pet, from what and when it was vaccinated, what illnesses suffered, and whether there are allergic reactions .
- Thirdly, before visiting the clinic, do not use any external means, trying to eliminate the symptoms of the disease - itching, pain, etc. Since the doctor, first of all, takes the analysis - scraping from the affected areas.
Let the owners do not frighten it, the procedure will not bring unpleasant feelings to the pet. The veterinarian clamps the skin area between the thumb and forefinger, presses to extract the parasite from the hair follicle. After the received material is carefully studied.
Quite often mites are found in healthy dogs. If the analysis of scrapings revealed one or two parasites, the analysis is taken again. To identify concomitant diseases, the animal is taken for analysis and other biomaterials - blood and urine for general analysis, cal. An ultrasound is always prescribed.
Treatment of demodectic in dogs
To treat the disease is appointed complex conservative therapy, which has two directions:
- Elimination of parasitic insects.
- Normalization of the immune system of the organism of a sick pet.
Often used drugs with acaricidal action - Ivomec, Iversect, Amitrazine, Ivermek. These remedies can eliminate mites from all surfaces of the body.
It is recommended to treat the affected areas with antiseptic drugs - Fucorcin (Castellyani solution), Furacilin solution or salicylic acid, and after applying external acaricidal agents - Amitan, Amitraz, Ivermectin, Akarabor.
Treatment also requires careful cleaning not only of the place where the dog sleeps, but of the whole house. Parasitic insects do not tolerate the purity and use of disinfectants, so the risks of re-infection in their own home for the animal will approach zero.
Do not treat your pet yourself, as demodecosis has similar symptoms that accompany another disease - otodectosis . In the second case, the lesion causes an ear mite. Demodekoz extremely rarely localized in the auricles, whereas the ear mite affects them. Despite the same origin of diseases - they are both provoked by parasites, they have different treatment. Carrying out therapy that does not correspond to the disease, you can not only not achieve positive dynamics, but also significantly damage the pet.