Dog owners usually monitor their pets, paying attention to their well-being and mood. Naturally, any change is alarming, for example, if the dog drinks a lot. Why does the dog drink a lot of water? In some cases, this sign refers to the usual physiological properties of the body, while in others it is a serious symptom of the disease. When should I sound an alarm?
- Какие нормы существуют 1. What norms exist
- Когда собака испытывает жажду, но не болеет 2. When the dog is thirsty, but not sick
- Патологические причины жажды 3. Pathological causes of thirst
- Питомца беспокоит постоянная жажда – что делать 4. The pet is worried about the constant thirst - what to do
What norms exist
Almost every person knows that, ideally, he should drink 2-2.5 liters of water. But, by no means all fulfill this norm. The same goes for dogs, but their standard rate of daily fluid is 50 mg per kilogram of weight.
Read more about how much the dog should drink .
Of course, the number of drunk is influenced by various factors - pet activity, type of nutrition, age and other individual characteristics. Since dry diets contain very little moisture, the animals that eat them drink much more than those who eat natural food.
When the dog is thirsty, but not sick
There are a number of situations when the dog begins to drink more than usual, and this is considered quite normal. Thirst can occur due to the following factors:
- in hot season;
- if there is a serious environmental situation;
- during the operation of radiators and radiators - pets living in the apartment may feel thirsty in winter because of the dry air;
- The estrus is the most unpredictable period during which the behavior of an animal can change; if the dog drinks, but there are no other signs of illness, you should not worry;
- breeding and rearing of offspring - the body increases the amount of blood and requires the receipt of more water, the same is necessary for the production of the necessary amount of milk;
- anesthesia - post-operative thirst arises always, because water removes toxins and narcotic substances from the body that contain anesthetic preparations;
- when transferring from natural food to production rations - the dog begins to replenish the water balance, as before it was up to 80% of the water received from food.
Taking medications can also cause this condition. Diuretics, hormones, agents with an anticonvulsant effect lead to increased urination, and as a result, thirst arises. In this case, it is important to check the dog to find out if the medications did not lead to the development of kidney failure.
Pathological causes of thirst
What ailments lead to the fact that the dog begins to drink more than usual and how to recognize them? Specialists distinguish the primary form of thirst and secondary. In the first case the dog drinks a large amount of water, but does not feel thirsty. Such a condition is often psychogenic in nature and is called polydipsia. This phenomenon does not occur so often, and its treatment is to eliminate the cause of this behavior.
In most cases, the animal begins to drink a lot to compensate for the lack of fluid in the body. And this is already a secondary form, which can cause the following diseases and pathological conditions:
- diabetes (sugar or non-sugar type) - in this case the dog often urinates and eats a lot;
- kidney failure - the dog urinates rarely, becomes sluggish and sleeps a lot;
- chronic hypercortisoneemia (Cushing's syndrome) - with a progressive form manifesting obvious symptoms of the disease, but the torpid or protracted may be accompanied by blurred signs.
- piometer - affliction of the bitch, in which the dog becomes sluggish, the abdomen increases in size, as if swollen, and at later stages bloody purulent discharge from the loop appears;
- intoxication - when poisoning the dog begins to consume a lot of fluid, in addition, there are a number of other signs - nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- pyroplasmosis is a protozoal disease, in which, in addition to thirst, bloody impurities appear in the urine, the dog often lies and refuses to eat;
- viral hepatitis is a serious disease accompanied by fever, diarrhea, vomiting, urine acquires a reddish-brownish hue.
Most diseases are accompanied by a number of symptoms that are difficult to overlook. And even if the dog has become sad, more often lies or sleeps and consumes a lot of water - it is just in case to show it to the vet.
The pet is worried about the constant thirst - what to do
First of all, it is worth watching the behavior of the pet and try to exclude all the reasons that can cause increased thirst:
- if the condition is caused by the operation of the heating devices - use humidifiers or put water in the rooms;
- salted foods;
- if the dog is in the heat in the street, provide it with a place with a shadow, etc.
If, however, it is not possible to identify the cause of the natural nature, and the behavior of the pet changes and anxiety symptoms are manifested, it is necessary to visit the veterinary clinic in the near future. This is extremely important, since most ailments are deadly to the animal. The specialist will prescribe tests, examine the animal and identify what has led to increased thirst.
A dog drinks a lot when it is hot, it wears puppies or eats dry food ... However, a strong thirst is not always so harmless and can signal serious violations in the body. The owner also needs attention to his four-footed friend and timely action.