Pet petrified or huskily barking, can whine, funny sneeze and this is quite normal behavior for a four-legged friend. But if he has a cough, then the owner can be alert. In fact, such a reaction of the organism in these animals is not so rare and can be caused by a variety of reasons. Why does the dog cough, as if choking, and how can you help the pet?
Why does the cough cough
If the dog separately from food intake begins to cough, trying to regurgitate, then there must be a factor provoking such behavior. First of all, it can be any diseases accompanied by a cough, for example:
- Cold, acute respiratory infections, acute respiratory infections . Despite the stronger immunity, in comparison with a person, dogs can catch cold - having bought in cold water, sitting in a draft after water procedures, after a long walk in frosty weather. The common cold can be of viral or bacterial origin. When a dog has a disease, it can sore your throat, disturb perspiration and cough - it is quite a natural reaction to this condition.
- Adenovirus . If the dog tries to clear his throat, as if something stuck in his throat, then there is a chance that he contracted adenovirus. It is cough that is a symptom of the initial stage of development of this infectious viral disease. Also, the infection is accompanied by fever, abundant discharge from the nose, eyes, vomiting. The pet becomes sluggish, refuses food, its breathing becomes difficult, difficult.
- Allergy . Dogs, like people, quite often suffer from various kinds of allergic manifestations - seasonal allergies, food, the reaction can occur against the background of taking medications or getting on the skin and mucous chemicals. Often, the cause of this condition is feeding the pet poor-quality food or changing the usual diet. To cause no allergy, it manifests itself in the form of itching, rash, the dog can cough, sneeze, eyes begin to "sour" and water.
- Clay invasion . An excruciating, suffocating cough can occur due to the defeat of the animal by worms. There is an opinion that parasitic worms live exclusively in the intestines, but experts refute it. Larvae of worms "travel" throughout the body along with the bloodstream and can enter various organs, including the lungs. In this case, the dog coughs and has signs of bronchitis or pneumonia. With a strong helminthic invasion, worms can enter the esophagus, the dog begins to feel choking attacks.
- Heart pathologies . The presence of an asphyxiating cough may be a sign of heart failure. It is also often a sign of an increase in the heart muscle, which presses on the trachea. The brain receives a signal that the trachea is under pressure, as when a foreign body enters, and coughing in this case is a natural way of removing it.
Other provoking factors
In addition to infections and diseases, coughing causes other reasons:
- The inconvenience of wearing a collar. If the dog begins to cough only during a walk, it is worth paying attention to the collar of the pet. It is possible that he presses it, causing uncomfortable sensations. According to the norms between the coat and the accessory there should be a place where two fingers can enter. Often, young individuals who have not mastered the command "close"! Are unnecessarily frisky pulling the leash, thereby causing signs of strangulation. Puppy can quickly learn the correct behavior on the ground. If, however, the raising of an adult dog is required, special devices can be used: a jerk chain, a collar or paraffs pulling.
- Maybe the pet choked after all? Many dogs are not very discriminating and are able to swallow not only a sharp bone, but not quite edible things. If the pet coughs before vomiting and can not get rid of the stuck object, you can let it chew the bread crust. Did not help? So, you should apply for veterinary care.
See how the dog coughs, as if she choked:
What to do if the dog coughs
In some cases, the pet manages to cope independently with a cough - if it choked, or there is a reverse sneezing, inherent in almost all dogs that have a shortened muzzle, and decorative crumbs. Often, long-haired animals with the help of a cough regurgitate lumps of wool, swallowed during hygienic procedures.
It is also not difficult to solve the problem with a pressing leash or a dog rushing forward, provoking suffocation by one's own forces. However, if this manifestation is caused by a disease, then veterinary care is indispensable. The specialist appoints individual therapy, which will save the dog from all unpleasant manifestations, including coughing.
Timely reception of anthelmintic drugs will be an excellent prevention of helminthic invasion, and taking care of proper, high-quality nutrition can protect the dog from manifestations of food allergies.
Also, do not forget that dogs are also able to catch cold, which means that it is important to protect the pet from drafts, swimming in cold water and long walks in cold weather. Owners of scanty fur or even naked should be dressed in the weather.
Coughing in animals - the body's response to a variety of conditions, both pathological, and quite natural. The owner should watch the pet and try to find out the reason. If you can not do it yourself, you can always contact a professional.