Pneumonia in dogs (inflammation of the lungs) is an inflammatory process in the lung tissue. Veterinarians distinguish several types of this disease. All of them differ in the causes of development, as well as in symptomatology. If this disease is not treated, then the animal can begin irreversible changes in the body.
- Виды пневмоний 1. Types of pneumonia
- Причины болезни 2. Causes of the disease
- Особенности развития болезни 3. Features of the development of the disease
- Симптомы пневмонии у собак 4. Symptoms of pneumonia in dogs
- Диагностирование пневмонии 5. Diagnosis of pneumonia
- Лечение пневмонии у собак в стационаре 6. Treatment of pneumonia in dogs in hospital
- Особенности лечения пневмонии у собак в домашних условиях 7. Features of treatment of pneumonia in dogs at home
- Как обезопасить домашнего любимца от пневмонии 8. How to protect your pet from pneumonia
Types of pneumonia
There are several varieties of this disease in four-legged pets:
- Bacterial pneumonia is always contagious. Often it develops as a secondary complication of bronchodracheitis, tracheitis, and also as a result of the ingress of an alien body into the larynx, the bronchi of the animal.
- Parasitic inflammation develops due to the penetration of worms into the lungs, worm larvae. They can penetrate into the lung tissue as a result of movement along the body.
- Viral pneumonia develops as a result of the complication of the viral plague .
All kinds of pneumonia are extremely dangerous for puppies, as well as for old individuals. Very rarely, this pathology develops in physically strong dogs.
In addition, the type of exudate formed pneumonia can be purulent, serous. Severe form of pneumonia, when fibrin begins to enter the lumen of the lungs, is called croupous. Without the help of a veterinarian, an animal can die in just a few hours.
Causes of the disease
When the pathogenic bacteria enter the lungs, inflammatory processes develop in the dog's body. Among them, streptococci, staphylococci and other pathogenic microorganisms are especially dangerous. As a rule, the dog's organism copes with them under the condition of normal functioning of the immune system.
However, when immunity is weakened, such bacteria activate their activity and penetrate into the lung tissue. This happens if the following predisposing factors act on the animal's organism:
- temperature changes;
- contact with infected animals;
- poor and malnutrition;
- poor conditions of keeping the dog;
- penetration of infectious agents with food;
- immunoglobulin deficiency;
The disease can also occur due to aspiration of foreign bodies to animals. It is not uncommon for cases when pneumonia was caused by insects that fell into the lung tissue as a result of their inhalation.
Features of the disease
Regardless of the form and cause that caused pneumonia, its course has three stages:
- The primary stage of the disease lasts an average of five days. Pneumonia has mild signs. The condition of the dog is most often satisfactory.
- The secondary stage is characterized by a rapid manifestation of all the symptoms of the disease. Duration - not more than ten days.
- At the final stage, either the animal recovers or dies as a result of irreversible changes in the lung tissue.
The course of pneumonia in dogs is mild, of medium severity, severe, and also extremely severe. In addition, pneumonia can be acute and chronic.
Symptoms of pneumonia in dogs
In the event of pneumonia, the owners of animals should pay special attention to the following characteristic symptoms:
- Cough. The animal coughs very loudly. When coughing, the pet feels pain. After a while in the sounds of coughing appears some muffledness and softness.
- Raise the body temperature of the animal. The dog refuses to eat, but she eats willingly (which means that she has a thirsty feeling).
- Fever (manifested as alternation of high and normal temperature). Her jumps exhaust and exhaust the dog.
- Shortness of breath, shortness of breath . A runny nose appears. Crusts accumulate near the holes of the nose.
- The tongue, as well as the surface of the oral mucosa, acquire a cyanotic, sometimes gray hue. This color indicates a violation of gas exchange.
- The frequency of the heart rate increases .
- Growing weakness throughout the body.
- Lymphadenopathy (this symptom may be noticed by a veterinarian).
- Weight loss .
- During percussion, the areas of blunting are listened.
- It is difficult for a dog to lie on the side of the affected lung . If the inflammation has spread to both lungs, then the dog will be difficult to lie in any position.
In critical states, the body does not receive enough oxygen.
Diagnosis of pneumonia
The diagnosis of "pneumonia" is established on the basis of data of anamnesis, as well as radiography and fluoroscopy. X-ray examination of the chest should be carried out in two projections to more accurately determine the state of the lungs.
In doubtful cases, an X-ray examination of the esophagus with contrast agent is necessary. Be sure to do a general and biochemical blood test.
Pneumonia must necessarily be differentiated from such diseases:
- inflammation of the nasal mucosa;
- inflammation of the larynx;
- bronchitis, as well as tracheobronchitis;
- acute tonsillitis;
- an abscess of the lung.
Treatment of pneumonia in dogs in hospital
The main task of therapy of inflammation in the lungs in dogs is to stabilize their condition and to get rid of the pathogens as completely as possible.
In a hospital setting, dogs are preferably given antibiotics . In general, antibiotics are given in the form of injections: thus their effect is much more effective. The injection method of treatment allows the active substance to penetrate deep into the lungs and reach inflammatory foci. Antibacterial drugs are selected so that they can effectively affect all types of bacteria.
Before you begin treatment with antibiotics, you should conduct a test for allergic sensitivity to them. And in order to determine the sensitivity of the dog to any medication, the doctor performs a tracheal flush.
As physiotherapy, doctors do chest massage. It helps to remove phlegm from the lungs. The procedure is done as long as the pet has a cough.
In severe forms of pneumonia accompanied by respiratory failure, oxygen therapy is prescribed. When the effectiveness of such treatment is weak, artificial ventilation is prescribed. The animal breathes a mixture of air, which contains up to 40% oxygen. Due to the fact that pure oxygen has a toxic effect on the lung tissue, higher oxygen concentrations are not recommended.
If the animal refuses food, it has severe disorders of the stool, then infusions are prescribed. In a hospital environment, monitoring of diuresis and respiratory movement is possible. All these parameters are extremely important for constant monitoring of the activity of the dog's body affected by pneumonia.
The prognosis of lung inflammation in a dog is serious and depends on the severity of the disease, as well as the state of the body.
Features of treatment of pneumonia in dogs at home
Medical treatment at home begins only after the normalization of the animal's condition, restore normal appetite. It is mandatory to follow the following rules:
- cough can not be suppressed with special suppressor drugs;
- at least four times a day you need to do a massage (tapping the chest) to stimulate cough activity and remove secretions from the bronchi;
- in the cold season, do not put the dog out in the cold;
- antibiotic should be given strictly according to the indications and according to the instructions;
- periodically you need to do an x-ray.
- a light physical exercise is useful to the pet.
Therapy with the use of folk remedies and methods is not only completely useless, but also categorically unacceptable. The fact is that it is possible to overcome the pathogens of a serious disease only with the help of modern and highly effective antibiotics. Take them only if they are appointed by the doctor. Self-medication is unacceptable!
The intake of herbs that strengthen immunity is permissible only if the condition is fully stabilized and the inflammation foci are removed.
How to protect your pet from pneumonia
To prevent such a serious disease as pneumonia is always much easier than curing. In some cases, treatment is very complex and lengthy, and later recourse to a doctor can cause a fatal outcome.
Prevent this disease can be through certain preventive measures:
- treatment of diseases that can cause pneumonia;
- elimination of chronic foci of lung injury;
- prevention of hypothermia of the animal;
- good care, quality and nutrition;
- strengthening the immune system;
- Exclusion of contacts with dogs suffering from pneumonia, since they spread a large number of pathogens of pneumonia.
Pneumonia in dogs is a serious disease, which threatens unfavorable for the animal. Treatment is often lengthy. Owners of animals need to be very careful to detect a possible disease at an early stage. The outcome of treatment will often depend on this.