The development of dog breeds is a constant process, some species lose their popularity and disappear, while others revive again. But regular work is also being done on the creation of new breeds, and one of the successful results of breeding has become a decorative Petersburg orchid - an elegant little dog, designed to become an ideal companion. Dogs with a floral name today are very rare, which further stirs interest in them. What is known about the little "orchids"?
- Происхождении породы 1. The origin of the breed
- Описание породы петербургская орхидея 2. Description of St. Petersburg orchid breed
- Характер 3. Character
- Уход 4. Care
- Дрессировка 5. Training
- Содержание 6. Content
- Кормление 7. Feeding
- Болезни 8. Diseases
- Фото петербургской орхидеи 9. Photo of Petersburg orchid
- Видео о петербургской орхидее 10. Video about Petersburg orchid
- Где купить щенка 11. Where to buy a puppy
This breed is quite young, since it was bred in St. Petersburg only in 1997. The breeder Nina Nasibova used several representatives of miniature representatives: Chihuahua, Toy Poodle, Yorkshire Terriers, Russian colored lapdogs.
The work turned out to be painstaking, and far from immediately managed to achieve the desired result, but after three years Nina received small dogs with bright appearance and excellent qualities.
The author herself timed the emergence of a new breed for the 300th anniversary of the northern capital. Kind, beautiful and loyal pets have become an original gift for the anniversary of the city. This explains the name "Petersburg", and "orchid" emphasizes how these four-legged friends are fragile and tender.
Breed description Petersburg orchid
Representatives of the breed are small, mobile dogs with a stretched format, lean muscle mass and medium bone. In individuals, sexual dimorphism is clearly expressed, and it is associated not only with appearance, but also with behavior.
But the most important advantage of orchids is their original, attractive appearance. A well-groomed dog looks like a real fashionista, with a falling hair, pretty bangs and long ears that create a real hairstyle.
The maximum growth of orchids is 30 cm, the doggies weigh from 2.5 to 4 kg. It is undesirable for the female to weigh less than one and a half kilograms, since in this case independent genera are almost impossible. The breed standard is ready, but it is in the approval stage. In it, dogs are described as follows:
- The head is dry, medium in size, with rectangular lines. The muzzle sharpens toward the end, shorter than the head, only a third of its size.
- The transition from the forehead to the face is pronounced, but not sharp. Small nose, may be black or dyed to match coat color.
- Eyes oval, small, set wide apart, non-convex, meaning intelligent, all understanding.
- Auricles average, hang down on cartilages, are located highly.
- The jaws consist of small, sharp teeth, the bite is allowed only correct - scissor.
- The neck has a smooth bend, elongated, dry.
- The back is muscular, wide, creates a straight line. Withers well stands out, goes into a convex, muscular lower back. Chest decent depth, wide, belly taut.
- The extremities are parallel to each other, dryish.
- The tail is located just below the back line, arresting is allowed, in this case only 2-3 vertebrae remain. In its natural form, it curls with a ring or is held “with a saber”.
Wool and colors
Coat of Petersburg orchids is rather long, of moderate thickness, a slight wave is allowed. There is one more species - “Neva Orchid”, these dogs have short hair. The color of the dogs can be any, but not white. There are both monophonic and multicolored individuals, some of them have a mask on their muzzle.
Dogs with tiger, muruyu, black and black with tan points have a bright appearance. And the burns can be of various shades: gray, yellow, red, red, smoky, cognac. This contrast looks very impressive.
In addition, a dog may have a coat of any of the following shades:
- Ginger - from light wheat to dark cognac;
- red - from cream rose to dark red with black;
- chocolate - from light cocoa to dark chocolate;
- blue or silver.
If we talk about the combination of two or more colors, the colors can be the most impressive. In addition, the author of the breed continues breeding work aimed at obtaining dogs with spotted hair - white-red or white and black.
The most popular are "orchids" color "mahogony" and bright red with black. This is due to the beauty of such a "coat" and its effectiveness.
Representatives of the breed are very clever, quick-witted dogs that adore the owner, but they are very sensitive to mood and will never be imposed. This is a tender, gentle pet that needs a warm attitude. When a sad, depressed mood, the owner is enough to look into these beady eyes filled with love for the blues to recede.
Orchids are friendly to everyone, and both to people, including strangers, and other animals. The dog will be happy to welcome guests, and on walks for it will not have to blush. He is completely devoid of aggression and has a natural burden to new acquaintances.
The pet is happy 24 hours a day to be near the owner, but it is not in its rules to interfere and get underfoot. He is too aristocratic to fuss. But if the dog is in the spotlight, she will be immensely happy, feeling love and responding in triplicate.
Puppy breed "Petersburg orchid" is recommended to start people who want to find a little friend with a huge, loving heart. The owner should have free time to caress the pet, the dog should not feel lonely and abandoned. But at the same time, “orchids” can periodically retire to be alone with each other.
Like most decorative breeds, Petersburg orchids need regular care, which does not require special knowledge and skills and consists of simple hygienic procedures:
- Cleaning the ears - they should be inspected regularly, and cleaned of dirt with a cotton pad soaked in a special lotion, at least once a week.
- Eye treatment - they are washed every day using lotion or boiled water.
- Oral cavity care - dogs of this breed must brush their teeth 1 time in 5-7 days; regular veterinary examinations and periodic removal of tartar are also required.
- Caring for the coat - a plus of the breed can be called the absence of natural molting, which facilitates home maintenance, but in this case, the risks of formation of tangles are high. To avoid knocking down wool, a pet should be bathed weekly and combed out using a special comb. It is rarely necessary to treat the fur of a pet with Pooderkoy. It is recommended to trim the dog once every 8-10 weeks. This can be done in the conditions of the zoosalon or independently, after consulting with the breeder. For the neck used machine, which is shaved wool.
- Treatment of anal glands - this area is considered the most vulnerable to almost all representatives of small decorative breeds. If the nutrition of the gland is disturbed, then inflammation occurs in it. In order to prevent this pathology, it is recommended to more closely monitor the feeding regimen, the pet's diet, and once every 3-4 months, clean the glands from the contents by pressing on them and wipe them with a cotton swab soaked in a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
- Claw clipping - the procedure is carried out as needed.
It is advisable to begin to teach the puppy to care activities from an early age, then the grown up dog will endure all the manipulations. If the owner does not want to do pet hygiene on his own, then you can always turn to professionals.
Such lap dogs are usually not trained, because they immediately acquire the status of family members. But still, orchids have animal instincts that need to be adjusted. To the dog knew the boundaries of what is permitted, it must be brought up. Ditty baby can become a real tyrant, if the family allows him to feel like a master.
From the first days you should show the baby what is allowed and what is strictly prohibited. It is important that the pet immediately became acquainted with the hierarchy of the new “flock,” that is, the family, and understood what place it was allotted to. But a gentle orchid will not tolerate rudeness or neglect.
Petersburg orchid is a small dog that does not suffer from a lack of mobility, it is not used in vigorous activity and sports marathons, and therefore does not require intensive workload. In this regard, you can teach your pet to help out at home - little dogs can walk on a napkin, a disposable diaper or in a tray. Moreover, these kids do not take up their acumen, they almost immediately understand what the owner wants from them.
The dog does not require a lot of space - this is an ideal option even for a small apartment, but it should have its own equipped place - a couch, a house or a mattress. It is advisable to place it away from drafts, heating devices. Here the baby will relax from the hustle and prying eyes. After all, even such sunny little dogs need a place for solitude.
In order for the pet to be near as long as possible, not sick, and was cheerful, it requires a full, balanced diet. Already during the breeding work it was assumed that the representatives of the breed would eat commercial rations.
This type of feeding does not require self-dosing of food, since the manufacturer has already calculated everything, it is enough to give the pet a portion of the granules at a certain time - in the morning and evening hours. Another plus is that the finished feed contains all the necessary elements, and the pet does not need additional vitamin-mineral supplements.
Orchids are glorious doggies with good looks, therefore, having built a sad face, it is easy for them to solicit a tidbit from the table from the owners or guests. But it should be remembered that human food should not be given to dogs, its eating would have a negative effect on the work of the pet's digestive tract and its general well-being.
If we consider that the breed exists only about 10 years, it is difficult to accurately determine whether its members are prone to any diseases that can be called pedigree. In addition, only one monastery is breeding the breed, in fact, where these dogs come from and come from. Here, animals with genetic abnormalities are strictly rejected and they do not allow such individuals to participate in the continuation of the genus.
In general, orchids are quite strong animals, but still they have not been spared by the problems inherent in all miniature breeds:
- the formation of tartar and other dental diseases;
- fractures — young dogs are more often injured, in adults, the backbone is more durable, and paw fractures are less often diagnosed;
- High sensitivity to temperature changes - in cold, windy weather, dogies often catch cold and become ill.
Some orchids have a sensitive digestive tract; in this case, it is not worth changing the diet that suits you without good reason. On average, these dogs live 12-14 years.
Photo Petersburg orchids
Video about Petersburg orchid
Where to buy a puppy
Those who want to acquire such a puppy may face a problem - the author of the breed still forms the basic population of Petersburg orchids, therefore, only animals that do not have pedigree value are taken out of St. Petersburg and the region — too large males or low-weight females unable to independently produce offspring. That is, to get a baby of this breed, you need to contact the monobreed club created by Nina Nasibova.
As for the cost of puppies of a given breed, it depends on various criteria: age, coat color, sex and other factors. The average price of males is 30,000 rubles, bitches - 50,000 rubles. Naturally, the breeding value of animals plays a significant role in price formation.
An exclusive representative of the breed can cost 100000-140000 rubles. Cheaper than the rest of the baby, having a slight drawback, for such a pet will have to pay approximately 15,000-20,000 rubles.
In their hometown, orchids are no longer a rarity, but dog lovers around the world are just discovering this new, original breed. But the breeders warn that it has not yet received international recognition, which means that St. Petersburg orchids cannot participate in some exhibitions or are allowed only without receiving any titles. But the owners are so fascinated by their pets that they are not at all overshadowed by this state of affairs.
Each country is proud of its dog breeds, bred exactly on their territory. Naturally, the Petersburg orchid became an attraction of the Northern capital and added to the list of breeds that emerged due to the efforts of Russian breeders. These dogs are created to be close to a person, to delight him with his presence and to cause a smile even on the gloomy day.