The Pekingese are small fearless lions that once lived exclusively in the royal chambers. Today, these lovely pets can be found throughout the world, and interest in this breed does not fade away. What is the secret of the popularity of this breed, and what should future dog owners know about?
- История породы пекинес 1. Pekingese breed history
- Описание породы пекинес 2. Description of the Pekingese breed
- Окрасы пекинесов 3. Pekingese Colors
- Темперамент и характер 4. Temperament and character
- Как дрессировать 5. How to train
- Уход и особенности содержания 6. Care and content
- Чем кормить пекинеса 7. How to feed the Pekingese
- Фото пекинеса 8. Photo Pekingese
- Видео о пекинесе 9. Video about Pekingese
- Стоимость щенков-пекинесов 10. Cost of Pekingese puppies
- Питомники пекинеса 11. Pekingese Kennels
Pekingese breed history
These are representatives of one of the oldest dog breeds living on our planet. Scientists and archaeologists have found bronzes, which were depicted Pekingese, and their age is estimated at 4000 years. For centuries, these crumbs lived exclusively in the imperial family and bred them only for these purposes. After all, according to the beliefs of those times, it was the Pekingese who was engaged in the protection of the emperor himself in the afterlife. Therefore, they buried the royal person only with his beloved pet.
When the British seized Peking in 1960, several thoroughbred representatives were taken out of China and donated to the Queen of Great Britain Victoria and the duchess close to her. And the rest of the dogs were destroyed by the Chinese themselves.
It was from royal dogs that the development of the breed began in Europe. A new round in the growth of its popularity came in the post-war period, and so far the Pekingese have not lost their positions.
Pekingese breed description
The appearance of the Pekingese can be called his trademark, because it is quite original and unusual:
- Dogs have a large head whose height is greater than the width. The skull is wide, flattened. Despite the harsh transition from the frontal lobe to the attractive face, the little dogs are pretty cute. Eyes attract particular attention - they are huge, round-shaped, have black eyelids. Lips with a tight fit, and the nose ends with a large, flat lobe with black pigment. The ears are heart-shaped, with long hair hanging down.
- The Pekingese has a short, thick neck , a powerful front part of the body. The ribs are convex in shape; the back creates a straight line. The rib cage is wide, and the limbs are that the hindquarters, that the anterior ones are strong and short. Paws flattened, slightly turned around.
- The tail of the Pekingese is gorgeous - it is set high, lying on its back and adorned with long, thick hair.
- The fur forms an enviable mane in the area of the shoulders and neck, this particular feature makes representatives of the breed look like lions. In addition, the elongated coat is also present on the back of the body, the limbs. The undercoat of dogs is plentiful, dense.
If we talk about generally accepted standard norms, they determine the following parameters of the representatives of the breed: the minimum height at the withers is 15 cm, the maximum is 10 cm higher. Weight can vary between 2.5 and 5.5 kg.
The traditional color of the representatives of this breed is exactly red. But also often on the territory of Russia, individuals with pale or gray wool began to occur. It is worth noting that for those who want to get from their pet offspring with a certain color, it is unlikely to succeed. Indeed, in dogs, genes of various colors are present in the DNA.
In the European standard dogs of black, red, sand, spotted, variegated, gray and white color are allowed. In Czech specialists, felinologists note, predominantly, the presence of a white spot on the parietal region and symmetrical dark-colored spots in dogs with variegated color. And there must also be a dark mask in all colors except white. In American and English dog handlers, the presence of a mask is not a priority quality, but they agree that it adorns the appearance of the Pekingese.
Temperament and character
Despite their compact miniature size, the Pekingese have leadership skills and often show them to the owners or other pets. They are fearless, but in their nature there is no natural aggression. They are very loyal to their owners. But among the impartial qualities can be noted some arrogance, which is not surprising if we consider their "royal" roots, as well as a rare stubbornness.
Representatives of this breed are recommended to be acquired as pets to elderly and inactive people, homebodies. But athletes, hunters and lovers of working dogs such dogs are unlikely to fit. There is no consensus about the attitude of Chinese pets to children. It all depends on various factors, but often they are not very affectionate with younger family members, although they do not offend.
The overall picture is such that the Pekingese are dogs with a calm and balanced temperament. Although the little dogs can show, “who's in charge at home,” but they can easily be kept with other dogs and even with representatives of feline breeds and smaller pets. After all, these dogs do not have hunting instinct in their blood.
Yes, dogs have a rich fur coat, however, it is impossible to keep them on the street, because, despite some independence and arrogance, they can fully grow and develop only beside their family members. In this case, the animal will have a healthy psyche. The pet is always ready to protect its owner, and the size of the offender is not important to him, even if it is a person who has come as a guest. Therefore, the dog needs education, and from the very beginning of the appearance in the house.
How to train
Stubbornness and a certain waywardness can complicate the learning process, however, with the right approach, excellent results can be obtained. Indeed, thanks to a long life beside a person, the Pekingese are owners of high intelligence. Among the main nuances are the following:
- Classes should be regular and conducted according to the established schedule. At home, it is better to do after sleep, but before meals. On the street - only after the dog goes around the usual places and does all the "business".
- Training should take place incrementally - from simple to complex. But training should not exhaust pet.
- It is necessary not to hide emotions and rejoice at anyone, even the insignificant success of the pet. The owner is happy - happy Pekingese, the doggie will accept any encouragement with gratitude.
- It is necessary to show firmness and achieve the desired. For these dogs, this is one of the main conditions for training and education, because it is worth yielding a couple of times, and the pet will use it constantly.
- Pekingese - very talented and versatile. They can surprise their owners with dances, songs, amazing tricks. One has only to look and fix skills.
- In order for a dog of this breed to obey unconditionally, the owner must have indisputable authority in her eyes. After all, Pekingese not only lives side by side with a man, but also takes an example from him. And if the owner can not become a leader in the family, then this place will quickly take a pet. But the “emperor” is difficult to force to obey.
Care and content
The advantage of the breed is that the Pekingese do not need long runs. In addition, prolonged exposure to sunlight is very harmful for dogs, as overheating is dangerous for them. Providing it with comfortable living conditions is not difficult, the doggies are compact and do not require a lot of space.
But a luxurious fur coat requires, and moreover, regular. It should often be combed out so that it does not get tangled, and the areas around the pads should be cut. Bathe the Pekingese infrequently, 2-3 times a year is enough. Also, the dog must periodically cut the claws, wipe the folds with a wet swab, which are formed in the nose and clean the ear shells.
Pekingese eyes require special attention, which is associated with their bulge and shape of the muzzle. At the first signs - reddening, the appearance of discharge and other things, it is necessary to treat the eyes with a special tool and contact a veterinarian, as the probability of complication is high.
Sexual maturity in the Pekingese comes very quickly - in 7-10 months. However, it is recommended to knit males a little later. But the branch is desirable to knit immediately, with the first heat. The fact is that young individuals better bear children and give birth, unlike more mature mummies. In dogs, the skeleton is somewhat modified with age, and often females give birth with a caesarean section. Pregnancy in Pekinese females lasts from 53 to 71 days. Since puppies have a large head that may not correspond to the size of the genital tract, the presence of a veterinarian at birth is recommended.
In general, Pekingese, by definition, are favorites and require special treatment. They like to be in the spotlight and be aware of events, so from their place should be viewed all the housing, or at least the door. You can lay your favorite mattress, make a special bed or even a house. As already noted, this is a 100% pet, which will feel good both in a private house and in an apartment. The main thing is that he was comfortable here.
How to feed the Pekingese
Health and beautiful wool - it all depends not only on care, but also on proper nutrition. Pekingese can be fed as industrial feed, and natural food. In the first case, it should be a product that belongs to the category of premium or super-premium . In the second, the diet must be balanced independently and include the following products:
- lean meat in raw form;
- boiled fish (only sea);
- dairy products: low-fat, without sugar and additives;
- chicken egg - boiled, scrambled eggs;
- cereals - oatmeal, buckwheat, rice.
- vegetables, fruits, greens.
If the owner prefers feeding with natural products, then periodically the pet will need intake of vitamin and mineral supplements. On this issue it is better to consult with a veterinarian.
More on Pekingese feeding .
The cost of puppies Pekingese
Pekingese is a rather expensive breed, but everything is ambiguous. For example, a puppy without pedigree can be purchased for 5000-8000 rubles. The price of the offspring with the documents depends on the class: the pet of the pet-class costs from 10,000 rubles; Brit-class - from 20,000 rubles; show class - at 5000-10000 rubles more expensive. There are more expensive representatives - puppies of dogs with various foreign titles. Their cost can reach 60,000 rubles.
Pekingese is an amazing, proud dog, which from the very beginning of the appearance of the breed is intended to be a companion and companion of man. And she quite succeeded in this, becoming not just a pet, but a pet and even a family member.