Parson settled the terrier - a universal hunting breed of dogs, bred in the UK. This dog, specially bred for hunting small animals and game, an excellent hunter and a wonderful companion, capable of making happiness a traveler, an active and cheerful person in need of a true friend.
- История происхождения 1. History of origin
- Описание породы парсон рассел терьер 2. Description of the breed Parson Russell Terrier
- Особенности характера 3. Characteristics of the character
- Основы дрессировки 4. Basics of training
- Уход и здоровье 5. Care and health
- Болезни породы 6. Diseases of the breed
- Как правильно кормить 7. How to feed properly
- Содержание собаки 8. The contents of the dog
- Фото парсон рассел терьера 9. Photos of the Parson scattered Terrier
- Видео о парсон рассел терьере 10. Video about Parson Russell Terrier
- Где купить щенка 11. Where to buy a puppy
History of origin
The Parson Russell Terrier breed was named in honor of its creator - a priest from the city of Swimbridge, located in the county of Devon in the UK. Reverend John Russell loved the hunt for a normal beast. To help in his enthusiasm, he needed a very special dog, the breeding of which he did. Since for the pastor the most important selection criteria were the working qualities of the dog, he paid little attention to the appearance of the resulting dogs.
John Russell crossed the breed enthusiastically, trying to get a dog that could run next to the horse and fearlessly rush after the fox into the burrow, ringing barking at the hunter. Infusing the blood of fighting dogs, Pastor Russell achieved fearlessness, courage, strong grip on his pets.
J. Russell displeased church officials, as he spent more time and money on dogs than on the affairs of the parish. He was promoted only to the vicar and would remain an unknown pastor of a small parish if he did not leave behind a more significant heritage - scattered terriers.
Until 1990, it was one breed, officially recognized by the FCI. But in 2001 FCI decided to split rift terriers and create 2 breed standards:
- No. 345 on Jack Russell Terrier;
- No. 339 on the Parson Russell Terrier.
They differed in height due to different lengths of legs. In Europe, the recognition was given to long-legged dogs, which were called "Parson Jack Russell", later they were renamed Parson Russell Terrier.
In Russia, the first representatives of the breed came in 1998 from Atlanta (Georgia, USA). Today, the popularity of the breed is gaining momentum.
Description of the breed Parson Russell Terrier
The appearance of the ideal Parson scattered terrier is described in the breed standard, but due to the fact that the exterior features were taken into account less than the working qualities, small variations are allowed:
- Skull moderately wide, gradually narrowing in the area of the orbit, the cheekbones are not pronounced. Stop is almost absent - the line from forehead to nose is only slightly deepened. The length of the muzzle from the nose mirror to the foot is slightly shorter than the length of the skull.
- Nose wide with well-defined lobe and open nostrils. The mirror is dark pigmented.
- Jaws are strong, equipped with a full set of white triangular teeth with a scissor bite. Lips dry, tightly fitting to the teeth, pigmented in black.
- Eyes of medium size, almond shaped. Eyeballs sit deep in the eye sockets. Iris is of a dark color.
- Ears are small, have a triangular shape with a rounded lower end, reaching up to the outer corner of the eye. Have an average position - the fold line should not be above the maximum point of the skull. The free part of the ear hangs from the cartilage and is directed forward. The thickness of the ear is medium.
- The neck is of medium length, smoothly widening from the base of the ears to the shoulders. The neck is covered with dense skin without wrinkles and suspensions. Muscles strong, well marked.
- The body is elongated from the sides and somewhat square when viewed from the front. The back is straight, strong, the waist is wide, the sturdy slightly drops to the tail.
- Chest of medium depth - it is not allowed that the lower edge extends beyond the line of the elbow joints. Ribs not convex, but also not too flat, mobile, which allows the dog to "squeeze" into the hole. The size of the chest behind the shoulder blades is such that it can be grasped with medium-sized palms.
- The abdomen is tight, but not lean. The line is clear, clean - without suspension.
- Extremities of medium length, strong, straight. Paws oval with tightly closed fingers and firm pads, arched and elastic. Are located in parallel.
- The tail is thick at the base, tapering to the tip. If the tail is not docked, the tip reaches the angular joints of the hind limbs. Direct, highly supplied.
The preferred height at the withers of males is 36 cm, and the bitches - 33 cm. The growth is allowed to fluctuate ± 2 cm. The weight is not specified in the standard.
Color and wool cover
Coat is coarse, stiff with good undercoat. The length is divided into three varieties:
- long hard coat, on the muzzle of the dog forms eyebrows, mustaches and beard, requires trimming;
- Wool of medium length, tightly fitting to the trunk, also trimmed;
- short wool.
When choosing puppies, it should be borne in mind that the final type of wool will not form before 2 months old. The coat covers the entire surface of the body, including the hips on the inside.
Color of the wool of thoroughbred representatives is as diverse as the rest of the pedigree characters. There are dogs with the following color:
- white with brown and black spots (white and tan);
- pure white (very rare).
Spots are located on the back, at the root of the tail, a mask divided into 2 halves and located around the ears and eyes. The predominant color of the coat is white. White shade with tan marks of black and different shades of brown is called tricolor. It is inadmissible tiger color and spotting over 50%.
Characteristics of character
The character of the Parson scattered the terrier is determined by his working qualities. Dog:
- kind to family members and others;
- Excellent with the children;
- good for pets;
- sometimes shows aggressiveness towards dogs;
- the hunting instinct manifests itself to small animals;
- active and venturesome;
- cheerful and playful;
- is capable of independent solutions.
Charming, inquisitive and amazingly clever - so most owners characterize their pet. But aside from these beautiful features, in the character of the "Parsons" there are also typical features for terriers:
- propensity to escape;
- vigilance in relation to larger dogs;
- craving for adventures and pranks.
Some idea about the nature of the dog can give the famous film "The Mask" in which one of the numerous families of scattered terriers was shot.
Basics of training
Thanks to the natural wit, Parson Terriers are very capable of training, but some character traits do not allow them to become an ideal pupil. Independent, active, erratic - these cute dogs require regular training, patience and determination of the coach. A good memory, thanks to which the Parson scattered the Terrier quickly and permanently memorizes a large number of teams, does not guarantee obedience.
This restless and overactive dog quickly loses interest in training. It is better if you conduct classes in a game manner - not only puppies love, but also adult dogs. Thanks to long limbs, Parsons run well, jump and overcome obstacles, so they often participate in mini agility.
In order for the dog to show negative features, it is necessary to start educating him from an early age. Parson settled the terrier, first of all, the hunter, so it is worth developing and improving these abilities, and when training, apply the method of encouragement and interest.
If the dog is interested, he feels his need, the owner's love and his attention, then the terrier is simply transformed. An example of this can serve as the story of the Russell Terrier named Uggi, who became the owner of the dog Oscar.
Care and health
Care for Parson scattered terrier is minimal. His stiff short coat does not smell, practically does not shed and it is enough to comb it once a week with a stiff brush. White wool also does not need frequent washing. It has a natural ability to self-clean, therefore, it is necessary to wash the dog only if it is heavily soiled. Souk scattered terrier washes after the end of estrus.
Requires regular cleaning of the dog's hanging ears and teeth. With the help of a moist ear stick, the external ear passage from the contaminations is carefully cleaned, and the teeth are cleaned with "dog" paste and a special brush.
The dog's health is quite strong, and its maintenance requires standard preventive procedures:
- vaccination in due time;
- Regular examination by a veterinarian in the presence of predispositions to hereditary diseases;
- balanced diet;
- physical activity and rational loads.
Periodic trimming of wool in long-haired and medium-sized terriers will give them a well-groomed look and get rid of the wool in the apartment.
Diseases of the breed
Strong health terriers John Russell explains a fairly long life. With proper care, dogs live 13-16 years. But, like most hunting dogs, Parsons have scattered terriers, they are predisposed to certain diseases. These include the following pathologies:
- visual apparatus - cataract, ectopia of the lens of the eye;
- hearing organs - deafness;
- organs of motion - myasthenia gravis, movement coordination disorder (ataxia), femoral head necrosis (Legg-Calve-Perthes syndrome);
- hematopoiesis system - a violation of blood coagulability (Von Willebrand disease).
However, the incidence of these diseases is not so high, and in general, the Parson scattered the terrier surprisingly - a healthy and active breed that can tolerate fairly high physical loads.
How to feed properly
Since the breed is designed for long intensive loads, the nutrition should also be appropriate - to supply sufficient amount of energy and "building material" for the passage of plastic processes - growth and restoration of tissues. Therefore, the basis of the diet should be laid down:
- proteins that make up almost half the portion;
- carbohydrates and fats - energy sources;
- food fibers and fiber - to remove toxins and stimulate the work of the digestive tract.
Proteins are lamb meat, turkey, beef and offal. Proteins should not exceed 2/3 of the dog's diet. It should be excluded chicken meat, as it can provoke an allergic reaction and pork.
Too fatty meat causes a digestive disorder in the terrier. By-products, if they are fresh and of good quality, it is recommended to give raw. It is necessary to introduce in the diet of the dog bones, veins, cartilages to strengthen the muscles of the jaws. Fish should be given sea after treatment - removal of sharp bones and fins.
Among the obligatory for the porridge, preference is given to buckwheat, oatmeal and rice. Porridge is cooked and mixed with vegetables, meat or fish. Also, the Parson ration of the terrier must include vegetables and fruits. Vegetables can be given as cooked or stewed, and raw. Terriers enjoy pears and apples with great pleasure. They should also be introduced into the dog's diet.
Those owners who do not want to cook will be provided with ready balanced feeds. Overfeed the dog is not possible - the terriers are prone to obesity, and rapid growth in "puppy" age can lead to diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
This breed of dogs is rather modest in size, which allows you to keep it in the conditions of our small apartments. Russell is very clean, almost does not shed and does not smell, but they need long walks, active games, the opportunity to realize their hunting instinct and natural curiosity.
Ideally, if the dog lives in a private house with a site where he can run, jump, dig holes. If there is no such possibility, then the dog can be taken out of the city, walking with it in parks, practicing on special sites. All the irrepressible energy of the terrier must be spent outside the house, otherwise the dog will take "dosuglyvat", spoiling furniture, things and bothering the owners.
Parson dispersed - the owner, so he should not only have an individual isolated sleeper, but also his own toys. From the memories of the British traveler Ranulf Fiennes to his dog Bati, with whom he crossed the equator and walked around the globe, there was a whole collection of balls he adored and constantly played with.
Do not leave the pet for a long time alone. Without contact with a person, the dog begins to get bored and "chudit." Parson is an ideal dog for lovers of travel, people actively pursuing their vacation, families with children, to whom he will become the best companion in games and pranks.
Photo of Parson Russell Terrier
Video about Parson Russell Terrier
Where to buy a puppy
In our country, the popularity of the breed has not yet reached such a peak as in Europe and America. Parson settled the terriers bred only a few nurseries in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus. The price varies from 35,000 to 45,000 rubles and depends on the expression of breed qualities in puppies.
In Moscow puppy Parson settled Terrier can be purchased in nurseries:
- Blue Angel - http://blueang.ru/;
- JACK RUSSELL - http://jek-rassel.ru/;
- Pinacolada - https://www.jackrussel-terrier.com/.
In Kiev, you can buy a puppy in nurseries:
- Spirit Dream - http://spirit-dream.com;
- Bohemia Artik - http://jack-russel.dogboard.net/t3-topic.
Among the owners of these cute and happy dogs, Jim Carrey, who fell in love with the Russell terriers after the movie "The Mask", Michael Douglas. Refined by Henry Hepburn, she also held Parson. The singers Mariah Carey and Bette Midler admire the vitality and energy of their pets. Funny rassles accompany and crowned individuals - Prince Charles, Sarah Ferguson. Perhaps soon in our country a pretty dog will be noticed.