Parson Russell Terrier is a universal hunting breed of dogs, bred in the UK. This dog, specially bred for hunting small animals and game, is an excellent hunter and a wonderful companion, capable of making happy a travel lover, an active and cheerful person who needs a true friend.
- История происхождения 1. History of origin
- Описание породы парсон рассел терьер 2. Description of the Parson Russell Terrier breed
- Особенности характера 3. Characteristics
- Основы дрессировки 4. Basics of training
- Уход и здоровье 5. Care and health
- Болезни породы 6. Diseases of the breed
- Как правильно кормить 7. How to feed
- Содержание собаки 8. Keeping a dog
- Фото парсон рассел терьера 9. Photos of Parson Russell Terrier
- Видео о парсон рассел терьере 10. Video about Parson Russell Terrier
- Где купить щенка 11. Where to buy a puppy
History of origin
Breed Parson Russell Terrier was named after its creator - a priest from the city of Swimbridge, located in Devon County in the UK. Rev. John Russell adored hunting the burrowing beast. To help in his enthusiasm, he needed a very special dog, which he started breeding. As for the pastor, the most important selection criterion was the working qualities of the dog, he paid a little attention to the appearance of the resulting dogs.
John Russell crossed the breed with enthusiasm, trying to get a dog capable of running alongside a horse and rushing fearlessly behind a fox into a hole, ringing barking beckoning the hunter. Infusing the blood of fighting breeds dogs, Pastor Russell achieved fearlessness, courage, and firm grip from his pets.
J. Russell displeased the church officials, as he spent more time and money on dogs than on the affairs of the parish. He had only served as vicar and would have remained an obscure pastor of the branch if he had not left a more significant legacy behind himself - Russell Terriers.
Until 1990, it was one breed, officially recognized as FCI. But in 2001, FCI decided to divide the Russell Terriers and create 2 breed standards:
- No. 345 to Jack Russell Terrier;
- Number 339 on the Parson Russell Terrier.
They differed in height due to different lengths of legs. In Europe, recognition was given to long-legged dogs, which were called "Parson Jack Russell", later they were renamed Parson Russell Terrier.
The first representatives of the breed came to Russia in 1998 from Atlanta (Georgia, USA). Today, the popularity of the breed is gaining momentum.
Breed description Parson Russell Terrier
The appearance of the ideal Parson Russell Terrier is described in the breed standard, but due to the fact that when breeding exterior features were taken into account less than working qualities, slight variations are allowed:
- The skull is moderately wide, gradually narrowing in the area of the orbits, the cheekbones are not pronounced. The stop is almost absent - the line from the forehead to the nose is only slightly deepened. The length of the muzzle from the mirror of the nose to the foot is slightly shorter than the length of the skull.
- The nose is wide with a well-defined lobe and open nostrils. The mirror is pigmented dark.
- Jaws strong, equipped with a complete set of white triangular teeth with a scissor bite. The lips are dry, tight to the teeth, pigmented black.
- Eyes of medium size, almond shape. The eyeballs sit deep in their sockets. The iris has a dark color.
- The ears are small, have a triangular shape with a rounded lower end, reaching to the outer corner of the eye. They have an average position - the fold line should not be above the maximum point of the skull. The free part of the ear is hanging down from the cartilage and pointing forward. Ear thickness is medium.
- The neck is of medium length, smoothly extending from the base of the ears to the shoulders. The neck is covered with dense skin without folds and dewlap. Muscles are strong, well visible.
- The case is elongated from the sides and somewhat square when viewed from the front. The back is straight, strong, the loin is wide, strong falls slightly to the tail.
- Chest of medium depth - the lower edge is not allowed to extend beyond the line of the elbow joints. The ribs are not bulging, but not too flat, mobile, which allows the dog to "squeeze" into the hole. The size of the breast behind the shoulder blades is such that it can be wrapped around the palms of a medium size.
- Belly tucked up, but not lean. The line is clear, clean - without suspension.
- Limbs of medium length, strong, straight. Paws are oval with tightly closed toes and firm pads, arched and elastic. Are located in parallel.
- The tail is thick at the base, tapering towards the tip. If the tail is not docked, the tip reaches the corners of the hind limbs. Direct, high set.
The preferred height at the withers of males is 36 cm, and the bitch is 33 cm. Altitude variation of ± 2 cm is allowed. Weight is not specified by the standard.
Colors and coat
Wool coarse, hard with a good undercoat. There are three types of length:
- long, hard coat, on the face of the dog forms eyebrows, mustache and beard, requires trimming;
- medium-sized wool, tight to the body, also trimmed;
- short coat.
When choosing puppies, it should be borne in mind that the final type of wool they will have formed not earlier than 2 months of age. The coat covers the entire surface of the body, including the inner thigh.
The coat color of pedigree representatives is as diverse as the other pedigree characters. There are dogs with the following color:
- white with brown and black spots (white with tan);
- pure white (very rare).
The spots are located on the back, at the root of the tail, the mask, divided into 2 halves and located around the ears and eyes. The predominant coat color is white. The white tinge with black and different shades of brown is called tricolor. Tiger color and spotting in excess of 50% is unacceptable.
The character of the Parson Russell Terrier is due to its working qualities. Dog:
- kind to family members and others;
- gets along well with children;
- treats pets well;
- sometimes shows aggressiveness to dogs;
- hunting instinct manifests to small animals;
- active and gambling;
- cheerful and playful;
- capable of independent decisions.
Charming, inquisitive and amazingly clever - this is how most owners characterize their pet. But besides these beautiful features, the character of the Parsons also has features typical of terriers:
- tendency to escape;
- snooty with larger dogs;
- thirst for adventures and mischief.
The famous movie “Mask” in which one of the numerous Russell Terrier family starred could give some idea of the character of the dog.
Basics of training
Due to the natural acumen, Parson terriers are very well trained, but some traits do not allow them to become an ideal student. Independent, active, whimsical - these cute dogs require regular training, patience and determination of the coach. A good memory, thanks to which the Parson Russell Terrier quickly and permanently memorizes a large number of teams, does not guarantee obedience.
This restless and too active dog quickly loses interest in dog training. It is better if you conduct classes in a playful manner - not only puppies like to play, but also adult dogs. Due to the long limbs, the Parsons run well, jump and overcome obstacles, so they often participate in mini-agility.
So that the dog’s negative features do not show up, it must be started to be raised from an early age. Parson Russell Terrier is, first of all, a hunter, so it is worth developing and improving these abilities, and when training, apply the method of encouragement and interest.
If the dog is interested, he feels his need, the love of the owner and his attention, then the terrier simply transforms. An example of this is the story of a Russell Terrier named Ugg, who won a dog Oscar.
Care and health
Caring for a Parson Russell Terrier is minimal. Its tough short hair does not smell, practically does not shed, and it is enough to comb it out once a week with a stiff brush. White wool also does not need frequent washing. She has a natural ability to self-clean, so a dog should be washed only with heavy pollution. Suk Russell Terrier washed after the heat.
Require regular cleaning of the dog's hanging ears and teeth. With the help of a wet ear stick, the outer ear canal is carefully cleaned from dirt, and the teeth are cleaned with a dog paste and a special brush.
The dog’s health is quite strong, and standard preventive procedures are required to maintain it:
- vaccination on time;
- regular examination by a veterinarian in the presence of susceptibility to hereditary diseases;
- balanced diet;
- physical activity and rational loads.
Periodic trimming of wool in long-haired and medium-haired terriers will give them a well-groomed look and eliminate hair in the apartment.
The strong health of the John Russell Terriers explains a rather long life. With proper care, dogs live 13-16 years. But, like most hunting dogs, Parson Russell Terriers have a predisposition to certain diseases. These include the following pathologies:
- visual apparatus - cataract, ectopia of the lens of the eye;
- organs of hearing - deafness;
- organs of motion - myasthenia, coordination disorders (ataxia), femoral head necrosis (Legg-Calve-Perthes syndrome);
- hematopoietic system - a violation of blood clotting (Von Willebrand disease).
However, the frequency of occurrence of these diseases is not so high, and in general, the Parson Russell Terrier is surprisingly a healthy and active breed, able to endure fairly high physical exertion.
How to feed
Since the breed is designed for long-term intensive loads, then nutrition must be appropriate - to supply a sufficient amount of energy and "building material" for the passage of plastic processes - growth and tissue repair. Therefore, the basis of the diet should be laid:
- proteins that make up almost half a serving;
- carbohydrates and fats - energy sources;
- dietary fiber and fiber - to remove toxins and stimulate the digestive tract.
Proteins are lamb, turkey, beef and offal. Proteins should not exceed 2/3 of the dog's diet. Chicken meat should be excluded, as it can provoke an allergic reaction and pork.
Too fat meat causes a terrier indigestion. By-products, if they are fresh and of good quality, are recommended to be given raw. It is necessary to introduce into the dog's diet bones, sinews, cartilage to strengthen the muscles of the jaws. Fish should be given to the sea after processing - removal of sharp bones and fins.
Among the compulsory dog cereal preference is given to buckwheat, oatmeal and rice. Porridge is boiled and mixed with vegetables, meat or fish. Also, be sure to include vegetables and fruits in the parson Russell Terrier diet. Vegetables can be given as boiled or stewed, and raw. Terriers eat pears and apples with great pleasure. They must also be introduced into the dog's diet.
Those owners who do not want to cook, will be helped by ready-made balanced feed. It is impossible to overfeed a dog - terriers are prone to obesity, and rapid growth in puppy age can lead to diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
This breed of dogs is quite modest in size, which allows you to keep it in the conditions of our small apartments. The Russells are very clean, they practically do not fade and do not smell, but they need long walks, active games, the ability to realize their hunting instinct and natural curiosity.
Ideally, if the dog lives in a private house with a plot where he can run, jump, dig holes. If this is not possible, then the dog can be taken out of town, walk with him in the parks, engage in special areas. All the irrepressible energy of a terrier must be spent outside the home, otherwise the dog will begin to “pursue”, spoiling furniture, things and bothering the owners.
Parson Russell is the owner, so he should have not only an isolated individual sleeping place, but also his toys. From the memories of the British traveler Ranulf Fiens, his dog Bati, with whom he crossed the equators and went around the globe, had a whole collection of balls, which he adored and with whom he constantly played.
Do not leave the pet for a long time alone. Without contact with a man, the dog begins to be bored and "strange." Parson is an ideal dog for travel lovers, people who actively spend their holidays, families with children, whom he will become the best companion in games and pranks.
Photo Parson Russell Terrier
Video about parson russell terrier
Where to buy a puppy
In our country, the popularity of the breed has not yet reached such a peak, as in Europe and America. Parson Russell Terriers breed only a few kennels in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus. The price varies from 35,000 to 45,000 rubles and depends on the severity of pedigree qualities in puppies.
In Moscow, a Parson Russell Terrier puppy can be purchased at kennels:
- Blue Angel - http://blueang.ru/;
- JACK RUSSELL - http://jek-rassel.ru/;
- Pinacolada - https://www.jackrussel-terrier.com/.
In Kiev, you can buy a puppy in kennels:
- Spirit Dream - http://spirit-dream.com;
- Bohema Artik - http://jack-russel.dogboard.net/t3-topic.
Among the owners of these cute and funny dogs are Jim Carrey, who fell in love with Russell's terriers after the movie “Mask,” Michael Douglas. Refined Autry Hepburn also kept a parson. Singers Mariah Carey and Bette Midler admire the vitality and energy of their pets. Gay rides are accompanied and crowned persons - Prince Charles, Sarah Ferguson. Perhaps soon in our country on a cute dog will pay attention.