Not all modern dogs are used for work, most of the four-legged friends lead a measured, quiet lifestyle, without the need for intensive loads. The pets sleep much, eat plenty, move little, which, naturally, negatively affects their weight. It is not surprising that obesity in dogs, which threatens their health, is too often revealed. How to understand that the pet has a problem and needs help?
Danger of obesity
Excess weight visually changes the pet, and if he is a participant of exhibitions - he should forget about similar events before losing weight and returning to the usual form. But this is the lesser of the evils, obesity can significantly shake the health of the pet:
- First of all, the load falls on the musculoskeletal system, the first it feels joints, which begin to break down;
- dogs with excess body weight are more likely than others to suffer from cardiovascular diseases, as a result they can not tolerate full physical activity;
- metabolic processes in the body are violated, which leads to an imminent decrease in immunity, the development of diabetes mellitus, oncological diseases;
- in males, there is a decrease in sex drive, in bitches - estrus become irregular or completely disappear.
If the dog's weight exceeds the norm by 20% or more, it is obesity. When the owner can not independently find out the reason, he should consult a veterinarian.
Causes of obesity in dogs
Most often obesity of pets is associated with eating disorders, which largely depends on the owners themselves. The dog will inevitably gain weight in the following cases:
- If she constantly overeats - this happens when the owner does not adhere to the feeding regime and does not dose the food.
- Feeding cheap rations that contain poorly digestible components in large quantities, harmful additives and little animal protein can disrupt the digestive tract and lead to a set of excess weight.
- When the pet constantly receives food from the master's table - both delicious and waste. The most harmful for the body of animal products include: sweets, fatty, spicy dishes, etc. The situation is aggravated by "compassionate" guests who can not resist and not buy a master dog.
In addition, there are a number of breeds, whose representatives are more likely than others to suffer from obesity. This includes Basset Hound, Beagle, Dachshund, Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Cocker Spaniels. Owners of such dogs should pay more attention to the issue of feeding their four-legged friends.
Low activity is another common reason why the dog begins to "increase in size", increasing fat. This is especially true of working breeds, whose representatives need intensive fiznagruzkah, but do not receive them in the proper amount.
Also, the dog can gain weight against the backdrop of some pathological process occurring in the body: due to metabolic disturbances, a failure in the thyroid gland, tumor development, etc. If the cause of obesity is associated with diseases, then mandatory diagnostic examination and competent treatment are required . In other cases, the owner should revise the diet of the pet and adjust it.
Feeding a pet that is obese
To normalize the pet's weight, the following recommendations should be followed:
- one must not allow a dog to starve;
- to reduce a single portion of food;
- feed the dog often, but in small portions;
- To watch, that the pet did not take refreshments at another's people, did not select food in the street;
- eating should take place according to the established regime;
- no additional dressings, even encouraging goodies can be temporarily replaced by more useful food or generally caress.
The dog's diet should be balanced and nutritious, contain useful substances and little fat. It is best to consult a dietitian, and if this is not possible, then you can listen to the advice of experienced dog breeders:
- from the diet it is necessary to completely remove all harmful products, especially those containing a lot of fat, spices, smoked and salted foods;
- include in the menu of the animal more vegetables - sources of important vitamins, fiber, cleansing the intestines. In addition, they contain few calories;
- cereals can be given to a pet, but oats and buckwheat, cooked on water, without additives, including salts, are best suited;
- in the list of harmful products for obesity comes potatoes and rice - they have a lot of carbohydrates;
- meat - an important component of the nutrition of animals belonging to predators, and even with a diet to exclude it from the diet of the dog can not. It is undesirable to feed the dog with pork, lamb, ducklings. Dietary is considered a turkey, rabbit, chicken, to feed the pet can also be beef.
If the dog is fed by the production food, then it will have to be replaced with a more suitable product. Choose from premium brands and super-premium classes, focusing on special dietary rations designed for animals that are obese or have a tendency to gain weight.
Ideally fit grain-free fodder, they are distinguished by a high balance, but they are much more expensive than other dry rations. With the right selection of food the pet will stop getting fat, and gradually its weight will begin to decrease.
Watch a video of how to lose weight a dog:
Another important aspect of healthy weight loss is increased load. But it is necessary to take into account the general condition of the pet. When the dog is too fat, you can not force it to run, because, in addition to fatigue, it will lead to increased stress on the heart and the musculoskeletal system. In general, it is important to observe the measure, especially if it is an elderly animal.
You can increase the duration of walking, first for 15-20 minutes. Take for a rule on weekends to make longer walks - in the park or forest belt. You should play more often using different objects, provoking the dog for additional activity.
If there is a possibility, it is recommended to go with a pet in the pool, and in the warm season - give him a swim in a suitable water for this. Water procedures will allow the dog to reduce weight without much effort.
The life expectancy of friends of our quadrupeds, unfortunately, is very low, and obesity can reduce it by an order of magnitude. Therefore, to the favorite was as close as possible for a long time, I was happy with my positive, it is important to monitor his weight, physical shape and health.