The inflammatory process in the ear, or in another way the otitis, can cause discomfort not only to a person. From this disease, pets are very often affected, and for their acute hearing and tender ear surfaces this is a rather difficult test. If the dog's ears are very quickly contaminated, an unpleasant smell emanates from them, the animal very often shakes his head and tries to comb his ears, then the pet should be shown to the vet. Most likely, we are talking about the otitis in a dog.
- Разновидности воспаления ушей 1. Kinds of an inflammation of ears
- Группа риска 2. Risk group
- Почему развивается отит у собак 3. Why does otitis develop in dogs?
- Признаки отита у собак 4. Signs of otitis in dogs
- Диагностирование болезни у собак 5. Diagnosis of the disease in dogs
- Терапия отита у собак 6. Treatment of otitis in dogs
- Лечение отита у собак в домашних условиях 7. Treatment of otitis in dogs at home
- Профилактические меры 8. Preventive measures
Varieties of inflammation of the ears
There are several classifications of the disease. In the place of localization of the infectious process, otitis media are divided into:
- External - inflammation affects the external auditory meatus, located between the entrance and the surface of the tympanic membrane.
- The middle - inflammatory process penetrates deep into the eardrum. Often accompanied by suppuration - this form of illness called purulent otitis. With advanced or complicated form of otitis, inflammation of the external and middle ear is often encountered.
- Internal - a severe form of the disease, the lesion is localized in the inner ear and very often causes various kinds of complications.
Depending on the cause of the development of the disease, the following types are distinguished:
- Primary otitis - occurs as an independent disease and proceeds without concomitant diseases.
- Secondary otitis media - inflammation is a complication of dermatological disease. Most often, this type of otitis appears against the background of atopic dermatitis , dermatosis, autoimmune diseases, adrenal or thyroid gland lesions.
There is a classification based on the causative agent of the disease:
- Chronic otitis is a complex inflammation that requires specialist advice. It is provoked by staphylococci , streptococci, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and also E. coli.
- Fungal otitis (otomycosis) - fungal bacteria are mixed with earwax, begin to multiply intensively, causing inflammation.
- Bacterial otitis - pathogenic bacteria often cause the development of otitis, and both one ear and both ears can be affected.
- Allergic otitis - develops due to allergies or hormonal disorders.
Predisposing factors include hereditary addiction and intoxication with thallium. The relationship between the rocks and the development of otitis is traced, since the disease and its course are associated with the structure of the auricle.
Most often the inflammation develops in the owners of long, hanging ears, which are hidden from natural ventilation and are an ideal "hotbed" for the development and reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms. Among the breeds with a similar problem, spaniels and poodles can be noted.
But not only owners of such ears can suffer from otitis media. Pets with a too open ear canal, for example, East European Shepherds, are also victims of frequent inflammation. Their hearing organ is not protected from penetration of pathogenic bacteria.
Why does otitis develop in dogs
The primary form of the disease can occur after hypothermia, trauma to the animal, due to malnutrition or helminth infection. There can be many reasons, and if the pet's immunity is reduced and can not resist, then the disease affects the dog's ears.
If we are talking about an infectious agent, then most often they are streptococcus or staphylococcus, developing in a weakened organism of the animal.
Signs of otitis in dogs
The clinical picture of the disease is as follows:
- the pet is restless, as he feels pain in the ear and itching;
- from the ear leak purulent exudate, which has a nauseating odor, the discharge can contain an admixture of blood;
- The pet often tilts his head and shakes his ears;
- the auditory meatus blushes;
- to the touch the ear becomes hot, it rises the temperature in the affected area;
- in the ear there is a flow of tissues;
- it is possible to grope enlarged lymph nodes from the side of the inflamed organ;
- the appetite decreases in the pet;
- the dog is listless, does not find a place, can turn around in the direction of a sore ear.
During severe forms of otitis in dogs, the following symptoms and complications are possible:
- loss of hearing;
- development of strabismus;
- the dog experiences difficulties during a meal - it is difficult to chew because of pain;
- exudation from the eyes.
Diagnosis of the disease in dogs
Otitis therapy, first of all, depends on the etiology of the disease, which is revealed in the course of complex diagnostics. It is conducted in several directions:
- Visual inspection. There is an examination and evaluation of the condition of the external ear canal and middle ear using a special ENT device - an otoscope.
- Lab tests. Include a general blood test, a cytological study of the secretory fluid, the study of the biomaterial (exudate, skin particles) under a microscope for the detection of pathogens, parasites.
- Radiography. If laboratory methods do not give a complete picture of the disease, an X-ray is prescribed. He is able to detect the formation of tumors and polyps, which provoke frequent development of inflammation in the ear.
- CT (computed tomography) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). One of the most informative modern techniques for detecting ailment is not only in the ear, but also in the tissues of neighboring organs.
Setting a correct timely diagnosis is half way to recovery. Veterinarians warn owners not to ignore the condition of the pet and not treat the disease themselves.
Otophorectomy in dogs
Given the variety of forms and types of disease, it is difficult not to guess that there is no single treatment for otitis in dogs. Each variety requires an individual approach:
- Purulent otitis - mandatory antibiotic therapy, the affected ears are treated with chlorhexidine and hydrogen peroxide.
- Chronic otitis - provides for the use of antibiotics, recommended dexamethasone compresses. Also prescribed drops Kandibiotic - a remedy that fights against fungi and pathogenic bacteria.
- Fungal otitis - Gaselan 2% is used, the ear is regularly treated with phosphoric acid solution.
- Bacterial otitis - for the treatment complex preparations with antifungal and antibacterial action are used, for example, the preparation in the form of the spray-spray Surolan.
- Allergic form of otitis - includes a three-month strict diet , to eliminate the itching prescribed antipruritic drops. If the allergy is of a permanent seasonal nature, you can use antihistamines prescribed by the veterinarian.
The most common drugs-antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs include the following:
For local processing, camphor oil, aversectin ointment, Decta, and Amit ointment are applied.
To increase and maintain the immune system, a course of Ascorutin, Vitam, Gamavit and other vitamin preparations is prescribed.
An excellent anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect has drops for the ears Otypaks, Framitsetin.
Treatment of otitis in dogs at home
It is not recommended to use any medications before visiting a vet. You can only treat the auricle with one of the following:
- hydrogen peroxide;
- vaseline oil;
- saline solution.
Also for these purposes, you can buy special lotions for cleaning the ears of an animal. If the disease has developed to a late stage and crusts have formed in the ear shells of the pet, hydrogen peroxide will help to remove them.
Formed sores are recommended to be processed so that infection does not occur, either green or Fukorcin. In the abundant course of pus, it is possible to rinse the affected organ with boric alcohol extremely carefully.
Pet owners need to know that ear inflammation is poorly treated, especially in prolonged, severe forms. Therefore, it is recommended that you contact the vet at the first signs of the disease.
Example of otitis media on video:
The owner must take care of the health of his pet, and therefore, and prevent the development of various diseases. Prophylaxis of otitis media is as follows:
- do not supercool the dog;
- after bathing, you need to remove excess water with a cotton swab;
- it is necessary to conduct regular hygiene procedures - daily inspection of the auricles and cleaning a couple of times a week;
- it is required to provide a full-fledged diet of the dog , supplementing it with vitamin supplements if necessary;
- should limit the contact of the dog with other unfamiliar animals;
- avoid pet traumas and stress situations whenever possible.
Otitis can cause deafness of the animal, and, in addition, cause a number of irreversible consequences. To prevent this from happening, it is worth to carefully monitor your favorite dog, and do not try to prescribe and conduct therapy yourself.