Has a new four-member family come into the house? In this case, besides joy, there is also concern. After all, the dog needs some care and protection. Houses in this regard are easier, but on the street there are difficulties. To walk the pleasure and minimum of anxiety, it is necessary to take care of special ammunition - a collar with a leash or a harness. But what better to give preference, and what nuances need to be considered when choosing?
- Разновидности ошейников и их предназначение 1. Types of collars and their function
- Рекомендации для выбора ошейника 2. Recommendations for choosing a collar
- Шлейки: особенности и преимущества 3. Harnesses: features and benefits
- Что лучше: шлейка или ошейник 4. Which is better: a harness or a collar
Types of collars and their function
When they come to the pet store, the new dog owner can become confused, discovering a great variety of different collars. Manufacture of products made of artificial and natural leather, synthetic materials, fabrics, metals. In addition, there is a classification of collars, which separates them according to the spheres of application.
Collars suitable for daily pet walking. Should be made of quality materials, wear-resistant, but not causing discomfort in the dog - skin, leather, felt, nylon, etc. On sale, collars from combined materials can also be found. A walking collar implies the following:
- strong connection to the leash (it is better if it is in the form of a single welded ring);
- obligatory presence of a soft gasket on the inside of the product, which is in contact with the neck of the animal.
For service and training
For such purposes, ammunition is produced from materials of the highest quality. Such collars are equipped with a special handle that allows you to hold the animal at any moment, besides it allows the owner to control the actions of the pet.
Most often on the collars in the upper part there are two half rings, or loops. For work or training, it is more convenient to attach the leash to a ring closer to the buckle.
The special feature is also the ammunition intended for dogs, which are on a leash. Models have a decent width. To give preference to products made of materials characterized by strength and durability, capable of withstanding all weather conditions and permanent operation.
When used, the leash is passed through the semicircle, then the carbine is fastened to the buckle. This design allows the load received during the tension to be transferred not to the neck of the dog, but to the buckle area.
Sufficiently formidable ammunition intended for no less formidable animals - representatives of large or fighting breeds possessing a wayward or even ferocious temper. Naturally, in this case we are not talking about the aesthetics and beauty of the product.
Strikers can be made of leather, synthetic fabrics, but most often for their manufacture use metal in the form of chain links. Such collars are used for walking, training and during participation in mass events - competitions, exhibitions.
The impact of the stranglehold from the puppyhood (when the bitch pulls the kids by the withers, slightly squeezing), is associated in dogs with a ban. Naturally, it is necessary to calculate the force and time of impact. If there is no skill in handling such ammunition, it is worth consulting with a cynologist.
When choosing products made of metal, you should be extremely careful:
- The collar should be made of a durable alloy;
- chain links should be high-quality and firmly sealed so as not to scratch the skin of the animal;
- the most low-allergenic is considered alloy kurogan (has a color slightly darker than brass with a reddish tinge);
- for pets with light hair it is extremely important that the collar does not stain the coat.
"Parfors" (in the common people - "strugach")
Another type of ammunition for dogs with a certain character. Its purpose is to use it in the process of training and training. Differences from other collars - the presence on the inside of the spines, which give the pet discomfort during strong jerking and tension.
When choosing parfors, you need to focus on the length of the pet's fur:
- Dogs with smooth and short hair are fitted with strict collars from wire or plates.
- Long-haired pets prefer to take metallic parfors.
A very important requirement - thorns should not injure the skin of the pet and cause severe pain, affect the skin pointwise. Otherwise, the learning process will not yield positive results. Parfors should not sit tight around the neck of the dog or be too loose. Strict collar implies the ability to adjust the product to the size of the pet, only removing the extra links.
Use "straggator" can only be used for the purpose - during training and training. It is not suitable for permanent wearing, for daily walking and playing with other dogs.
Someone may think that the main thing here is beauty and aesthetics - the more the rhinestones and shine, the better. However, this is not quite true. Yes, aesthetics are important, but the accessory does not have to be flashy, distracting the dog's virtues. When choosing it is necessary to focus on three properties - practicality, convenience and quality.
Owners of show-class pupils should be aware that special collars are needed to participate in the exhibitions, which are used to guide the participant in the ring. This design combines two accessories at once - a collar and a leash.
There is a special provision of the RKF prohibiting for this purpose the use of helix pairings, nor are the usual collar leashes and roulettes used .
Such ammunition has more aesthetic significance. Decorative collars are suitable for dogs of miniature breeds, less often they are chosen for medium-sized pets. Material, design is different, depends on the imagination of the designer.
Recommendations for choosing a collar
Experts recommend choosing equipment for the pet, only having the ability to try on. Experienced cynologists have at their disposal various types of ammunition - for everyday walks, exhibitions, dressing and other events. The same they advise and other owners of dogs.
Any ammunition requires regular care - washing, cleaning, which will increase the time of its service and protect the pet from infection. Price - far from the most important criterion, as in pursuit of benefits can harm a four-legged friend. Also, the pursuit of beauty is inappropriate - rhinestones, rivets and other ornaments can cause discomfort in the animal.
To make it easier to determine the size, you can focus on the standard - between the neck of the animal and the product should pass freely two fingers. To protect the coat of the animal, it is better to choose ammunition with protective valves.
The choice of the collar is made based on the breed:
- For owners of hard coat, it is better to choose collars that have a leather interior surface, round section and outer seams.
- Large, agile dogs with violent temperament should be better displayed on a strict collar.
- For pets with long, silky hair, a chained metal chain collar is more suitable.
- To protect too curious and disobedient pet during the educational process, it is recommended to use a collar-hammer.
- Puppies are suitable for light leather or fabric collars, equipped with a valve that protects the skin and coat from contact with metal parts.
Harnesses: features and benefits
Another type of ammunition for dogs, which includes belts and straps. Today it is quite a popular product with a number of advantages. And, first of all, the harness removes the load from the cervical vertebrae of the animal, distributing it to the shoulder and thoracic sections.
During their appearance they were used as a dog harness. And to this day there is a special kind of sling, used in the north for harnesses, as well as for sports races. The designs of these products have some differences from conventional gloves, they are made of very strong materials - canvas or nylon fabric.
Special ammunition is also produced:
- for movement along the trail;
- Straps with weighting agents for correction of muscle corset;
- Ammunition for guide dogs;
- medical loops and others.
When choosing a harness, the following recommendations should be followed:
- The most important parameter when choosing is the size of the ammunition. There should be a tight fit without pressing into the skin of the dog; The harness should not restrict movement.
- The fasteners of the harness must not have sharp edges or protruding parts.
- The correct landing of ammunition is when the side belt is not pressed against the armpits of the pet. In the representatives of large and medium breeds, the distance is the width of the palm of an adult person, 2-3 fingers are sufficient for small dogs.
The advantages of a sash include the following:
- A pet wearing a harness does not feel any discomfort;
- convenient to use.
Disadvantages is the rapid adaptation of the dog, after wearing a harness the pet can refuse to wear a normal collar. Not all breeds are suitable. Arriving home, the harness must be removed. In the process of education, the harness will not help much, since its pulling will not have the proper effect on the dog.
Which is better: a harness or a collar
Despite all the advantages and disadvantages of collars and hats, the pet owner must take into account and various additional factors:
- To make the right choice, you need to develop a little in the canine ammunition and its purpose.
- No matter how good the harness, for St. Bernard it will not be the best option. A good, strong collar will be more relevant here. In addition, some breeds, for example, fees , experts generally do not recommend their use. And for miniature pets, for example, toy terriers, chihuahua, the harness is the most successful option, as it puts pressure on the fragile cervical vertebrae and is an appropriate decoration for the dog. This also applies to representatives of breeds with short muzzles - pugs, French bulldogs , etc.
- A dog living in an apartment has absolutely different needs than an animal carrying a guard duty on a chain.
Many veterinarians and cynologists believe that the collar is detrimental to the cervical vertebrae of the pet. As for the choice of a harness or collar for puppies, the opinions of the experts are divided. Most still recommend refraining from wearing a harness before strengthening the bone corset - months to 8-10. The larger the pet, the longer the skeleton grows and develops.
Also, there is no consensus on whether it is useful to use the harness permanently, since the animal has another center of gravity. So, you need to evaluate the pros and cons, and make a choice in favor of your pet.