Norwich Terrier - a breed of English hunting dogs, whose popularity has recently increased significantly. But this does not mean that people have become obsessed with hunting. The fact is that these small, positive and active dogs get excellent companions. Norwich is a real energy bundle, devoid of aggression and the dominant nature of its ancestors - terriers. At the same time, they remain successful hunters and obedient pets.
- История происхождения 1. History of origin
- Описание породы норвич терьер 2. Description of breed Norwich Terrier
- Характерные черты маленьких охотников 3. Characteristics of small hunters
- Воспитание и обучение питомца 4. Pet education and training
- Правила ухода 5. Care instructions
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Режим и рацион кормления 7. Regimen and diet of feeding
- Особенности содержания норвич-терьера 8. Features of the contents of the Norwich Terrier
- Фото норвича терьера 9. Photo of the Norwich Terrier
- Видео о норвиче терьере 10. Video about the Norwegian terrier
- Серьезный подход к покупке любимца 11. A serious approach to buying a pet
History of origin
Experts believe that the breed appeared no later than the 19th century. in Norwich (Norwich), which is located on the territory of East Anglia. Then these small terriers acted as a work force - they took an active part in hunting for nerf animals, exterminated rats in food stores. In addition, even then the doggies were companions.
Researchers know little about which breeds participated in breeding. But, according to popular belief, they are descendants of terriers from Ireland or trampington terriers, which have now disappeared.
In 1932 the breed was recognized by the English Kennel Club, then certain demands were made to its representatives. There were two types of dogs, and for a long time there was controversy about which one is more suitable for the exhibition career.
Since the 1930s, breeders have sought to give them as many differences as possible and as a result of painstaking work, they have been recognized as separate breeds - Norfol and Norvich.
Description of the breed Norwich Terrier
The dog is suitable for a general description of northerners - a squat small dog, with a strong skeleton and a sternum of moderate width - the most massive and strong.
Among working dogs, these terriers are the smallest representatives. Dogs weigh not more than 5.2 kg, and their growth does not exceed 26 cm. During the exhibitions, experts do not reduce the score if the participant has "combat marks" that appeared during hunting - damage to the ears, skin. Naturally, if injuries do not lead to an inferiority of the animal.
In the standard, dogs are described as follows:
- The head, because of its abundant coat, seems more voluminous than it actually is. Like other terriers, the Norwegians have a large skull box with a slightly rounded apex; The forehead seems flat, it abruptly passes into the back of the nose, the muzzle to the lobe of the nose narrows.
- Lips are thin, close to the jaws. The teeth are large, they are arranged vertically, the canines are joined by a strong lock, form a scissor bite.
- The nose of a small nose is very sensitive and mobile.
- Eyes are oval, located a little deep, which is a protective element. The color of the iris is dark brown. Looks doggie is always interested, in the look is a laugh and a positive.
- Ears are triangular, medium in size, only standing type is allowed. During operation, they are in tension and are directed forward, in a quiet state they can be slightly retracted.
- The body is strong, rectangular, with not too long, strong neck, nape is not pronounced, there is no suspension. The thorax should not be wide, it interferes with the normal work, the ribs have a springiness and are considerably drawn back.
- The sternum is lowered to the elbows or slightly lower. The shoulders are well developed, the back is straight, passes into an indistinct lower back and a croup with a bevel.
- The limbs are short, straight, thick, with elbows attached to the sternum and moderately long, strong hips. The forelimbs are muscled better than the hind legs.
- Paws of large size with strong claws and well-filled pads, allow the dog to dig deep.
- The tail is carried at the level of the back line or slightly higher. Can be of natural size or docked. In the first case, it is strong, straight, a slight bend is allowed. In the second, it can only be direct, continuing the line of the spine.
Quality and color of wool
The Norwichs are covered with a dense, hard woolly covering with a dense, abundant layer of undercoat. In the area of the head, muzzle and ears, the wool is smooth, shortened, and feels like silk to the touch.
The neck and scruff of the terrier is decorated with a collar resembling a mane, consists of a long coarse hair. The muzzle of the Norwegians with a small beard and thick eyebrows. Pesica can have the following colors:
- red - solid color of wool, color varies from light red to dark red;
- zone - a combination of red and black shades of wool in equal proportions;
- black and tan - the main shade is uniform black, there are tawny tan marks on the limbs, muzzle, abdomen, sternum.
Individuals of this breed should not have white wool, even small spots. It is allowed to have marks and scars of light tone, which the dog has acquired during work.
Characteristic features of small hunters
The character of the Norwegians has some peculiarities - they are active, purposeful, not foolish and hardy. Such a pet is an excellent assistant in hunting and a cheerful, positive friend. Terrier from Norwich is strongly attached to its owners, has a good-natured temper.
Such a playful dog can be taken to a family with children, they will necessarily find a common language and come up with how to spend time together. But, naturally, that such interaction will be accompanied by fuss, screams and running, silence will have to be forgotten.
Puppy, getting into a new house, almost immediately fascinates all its inhabitants, literally falling in love with themselves. He is not jealous, so he can live side by side with other pets.
But future owners should know in advance that Norwich is curious, active, he can be very noisy, sowing chaos in the house. Pesik does not mind casting a voice - for joy or alarm, and also to use his teeth, gnawing everything that he likes.
Despite its modest size and fervent disposition, Norwich is not deprived of nobility and independence. He has a pronounced hunting qualities, so when you are walking, do not let him go off the leash. Running behind a running cat, the dog can be so carried away that he will stop distracted by the commands.
These dogs are very vigilant, which makes them wonderful watchmen. From the activities of the terrier can seriously suffer the local territory - these little terriers love to dig, and during the hunt the Norwegians are able to tear down the deepest holes of rodents. Therefore, at the house they will dig a site along and across, receiving from this great pleasure and spending surplus energy.
Dogs are very jumping, meeting the host, the pet will jump at him, expressing incredible joy. This behavior is considered bad form and it is desirable to disaccustom the pet from this habit since puppyhood.
Pet education and training
If correctly to approach to process, training of a Norwich will appear business simple enough. Pet inquisitive, active, if you conduct classes in a game form, then he will be interested and so drawn that he himself will demand continuation.
Naturally, properly executed teams should be encouraged by delicious food and praise. You can punish the "pupil" only for serious offenses, for example, if during the training he decided to "hunt".
The duration of the lesson should be at least 1 hour, but it can be extended if the dog has a desire. The ideal frequency of classes - every 2 days. Generally, a well-educated Norwich will not be worn behind any passing cat, bark at passers-by or rush to passing vehicles. He is calm, collected, not aggressive.
It is not difficult to care for such a pet, but the owner will have to take into account some features. To comb the animal is necessary weekly, more often the procedure is carried out during molting. The dog's coat is not very dirty, so it is bathed when necessary.
It is very useful for the health and appearance of Norwich, as for other representatives of the hard-haired breeds, regular trimming, in the process of which the dead hairs are plucked. You can do it yourself or in the salon conditions. This procedure positively influences the skin condition, it allows better growth of new wool.
It is necessary to examine the eyes, teeth and ears of the dog, especially if the pet participates in the hunt. An important aspect is timely vaccination, treatment from external parasites in the spring-summer period and quarterly de-worming.
All the terriers, including the Norwich, need physical exertion. With the pet you need to walk twice a day, play, practice. But the dog himself is able to provide himself with exercises, running and frolicking around the yard, and at home amusing himself with toys.
Attention pet requires, otherwise the interior of the house can suffer from this small, bored "hurricane".
Representatives of the breed are considered to be strong and hardy dogs, life expectancy varies from 12 to 16 years. But from their ancestors they still got some genetic diseases:
- tracheal collapse;
- hyperplasia of the soft palate.
The owner of a bitch who participates in the breeding, you should know that the labor of the dogs of this breed is fraught with a number of difficulties. First of all, the puppies are born large, with a big head and often four-legged mummies need the help of a specialist. If the female can not grow on her own, she is given a caesarean section.
The weak point of all short-haired dogs with an elongated body - back, to avoid pathologies of the spine, you can not overfeed the pet. Excess weight will exert an excessive load, which will adversely affect the condition of the vertebrae, heart, and gastrointestinal tract.
Often the Norwegians have eye diseases, most often cataracts. In addition, terriers are prone to pathology of the respiratory system.
Diet regimen and diet
The owner can choose one of two options - to feed the pet with natural food or industrial diets. In the second case, you should choose a quality product that does not contain artificial ingredients, flavors and other chemical additives. It is advisable to buy food in a specialized store, it should be suitable for small, woolly dogs.
At natural feeding the owner should make the balanced menu including useful products: meat of low-fat grades, boiled by-products, vegetables, rice, buckwheat porridge, sour-milk drinks, cottage cheese. Groats are seasoned with vegetable oil, fresh chopped herbs. They love norviči and fruits.
Do not give the dog the following food:
- tubular bones;
- confectionery and pastries;
- sausages, smoked products;
- canned food;
- fried foods, marinades, spices.
The food intended for the pet should be fresh and qualitative. In a mandatory manner, vitamin and mineral complexes are introduced into the feed.
Features of the content of the Norwich Terrier
A positive and sociable pet should live next to his family. Since, if he can transfer the cold of the street, hiding in a booth, then loneliness and lack of attention will negatively affect his character and well-being.
Norwich is suitable for both living in an apartment and in your home. They moult little, do not smell very much and are quite accurate. These dogs are quickly excited, but, if required, can quickly calm down. The dog can adjust to the rhythm of the family, organically fit into it.
Such a pet is devoid of refinement, like most representatives of ornamental rocks, it will not have to be worn with it, protecting it from the outside world.
Photo of the Norwich Terrier
Video about the Norwegian terrier
Serious approach to buying a pet
Norwich Terrier - an expensive pleasure, so do not act in a temper. First of all, it is necessary to decide for what purposes a pet is needed, this will determine its value:
- pet class - this category includes puppies that do not have an exhibition career, and they are not suitable for breeding, but do not have serious defects, they look like other Norwegians - their destiny to be the hunters' favorites and assistants; for such a child will have to pay an average of 35,000 rubles;
- Brid-class - the baby is slightly below the champion's data, it can be used for obtaining offspring and hunting work; the cost of puppies of this category reaches 50,000 rubles;
- show-class - the offspring with excellent data, is suitable for the owner who wants to not only participate with his pet in exhibition events, but also to receive positive results. The starting price is 50,000 rubles or more.
To get a puppy is better in a kennel having a good reputation. An experienced breeder cares about the quality of the offspring, culls the unsuitable individuals and provides good living conditions. In addition, he will advise on any issues arising in the process of cultivation, education and training of the ward.
In Moscow there are 2 nurseries, engaged in active breeding and sale of puppies of this breed:
- "Catcher Trayv" http://www.norwich-terrier.su/contacts.html;
- "Sugar Cube" http://www.westies.ru/westy/index.phtml.
Norwich Terrier - a kind of dog that has an original appearance and temperament. He becomes not just a domestic pet, but a family member, devoted and affectionate. But the owners will have to repeatedly face his pranks, so you need to have patience.