Low-key appearance and unique abilities are a yagter terrier, a German hunting dog with an interesting, albeit not too long, story that has earned the fame of a real nornate hunter. The breed is rare enough, so it raises interest and certain questions. What do you need to know about these dogs before choosing as a pet?
- Происхождение ягдтерьеров 1. Origin of the yaggie terriers
- Описание породы немецкий ягдтерьер 2. Description of the breed German yaggter terrier
- Окрасы и шерстный покров ягдтерьеров 3. The colors and coat of the yagter terriers
- Характер представителей породы 4. Nature of the breed
- Дрессура и натаскивание псов 5. Dressing and Dragging Dogs
- Уход за ягдтерьером 6. Caring for the yaggie terrier
- Как и чем кормить ягдтерьера 7. How and what to feed the Jagterrier
- Фото немецкого ягдтерьера 8. Photo of the German yaggterrier
- Видео о немецком ягдтерьере 9. Video about German Jagterrier
- Сколько стоит щенок ягдтерьера 10. How much does the puppy of the yaggter terrier cost?
Origin of the yaggie terriers
About this breed, we can say that it is relatively young, because these dogs appeared less than a hundred years ago. The ancestors of the yagter terriers are English and German fox terriers . The history of the breed began in the 20s of the 20th century, when a small company of enthusiasts began to restore the working qualities of once popular dogs - the Fox Terriers. The main goal of the work was the creation of ideal hunters.
At the beginning of the activity the mixing touched various fox terriers, the German ones with black color and English with light wool undertook. As a result, dogs with black-and-tan color appeared, to which blood of another breed - a black-and-red Old English terrier with tough hair was soon added.
Selection work was conducted under the guidance of Dr. Herbert Lackner. As a result of laborious breeding work and successful selection of material (the ancestors of the breed were Old English coarse-wool terriers and welsh terriers) in 1925 a black and tan terrier appeared. He possessed the developed instinct of the hunter and all the qualities required in this matter: volitional, bold, assertive, but also characterized by a balanced character and devotion.
The breed was called the German yaggie terrier. A year after its appearance, the first breed club was opened. In the early 80's yagdterrieres were recognized by the ICF, then the standard of this breed appeared, according to which thoroughbreds refer to large and medium-sized terriers. It also specifies that dogs undergo mandatory testing of working properties.
Breed description german yaggter terrier
In the breeding of the breed, the priority was to obtain ideal working qualities, and this could not but affect the external data of the animals. In dogs of this breed, sexual dimorphism is quite well expressed - males are distinguished by a stronger muscular constitution, strength and courage. The females are somewhat smaller and have a more elegant physique. Bitches with a masculine appearance are rejected.
Yagter terriers have a strong backbone, developed musculature, dry, dense, elastic skin that fits snugly against the body. The disadvantages include excessive lightness or roughness of the body, to vices - light bones, poorly developed muscular frame, loose skin, exhausted or loose complexion. The growth of the representatives of the breed ranges from 33 to 40 cm, the males weigh 9 to 10 kg, the bitches range from 7.5 to 8.5 kg.
The standard approved such external data yagdtererov:
- The head is shaped like a wedge with slightly marked cheekbones and flat cheeks, slightly flattened between the auricles. The muzzle differs in strength and strength, has a smooth narrowing to the lobe. The nose of the nose is mostly black, only in dogs with a chestnut color, it is brown or livery. The lips have a black border, fit tightly. Jaws with well developed muscles, strong, with large teeth and scissor bite.
- Ears are small, triangular, set high, hang on cartilaginous tissue. Ears that are in a standing position, small or heavy, are vices.
- Eyes small in size, oval in shape, with a dark brown iris and dry, dense eyelids, are deeply planted. In a penetrating glance, a certain suspicion is slipping.
- The neck of medium size, with a pronounced scruff, differs dryness and developed muscles, it smoothly passes into a well-marked withers.
- Blades with oblique setting fit tightly to the body. The back is straight, without bulges, with excellent muscles. The lumbar and croup are short, broad, muscular.
- The tail is cut to 1/3 of the entire length, has a high setting, is slightly thick, is on the same line with the back or slightly higher.
- The thorax is considered moderately wide, with an oval section and decent depth. Ribs are convex, elastic. The abdomen is tight, with a beautiful smooth line from the chest in the groin area.
- As for the forelimbs , they are located in parallel, have strong bones and dry muscles. Hind legs are more wide-set, strong, strong, with prominent knee joints. Paws are small in size, oval in shape, pads are fleshy, with arched, tightly compressed fingers.
German dogs move easily, freely, along a straight trajectory.
The colors and coat of the yagter terriers
There are two types of representatives of this breed:
- Smooth-haired yagter terriers - have a single-layered, dense, short coat, which evenly covers the entire body of the animal, has a natural sheen.
- Hard-haired yagter terriers - with an elongated, rigid, dense coat of wool. From the wool coat, it is formed adorning hair in the form of small flecks and small beards.
According to the standard, German yagdterriers can be of a black-brown color.
Regardless of the color of the coat, all dogs have symmetrically arranged, clearly delineated tails that are located above the eyebrows, from the sides of the muzzle, in the thorax, paws and in the anus. The standard allows a light or dark mask, small spots on the sternum and fingers.
Another popular German breed is the Great Dane .
Nature of the breed
Hunters to the core - yagdterriers have anger towards the beast, they are courageous and fearless. Dogs have performed well not only in hunting for living creatures living in burrows, but also in searching for the beast on the trail of blood, they also find the field and water game well, and well apport.
Dogs are not very friendly to people, so they are considered quite difficult pets, requiring early education and socialization. Therefore, the breed is not recommended for inexperienced breeders. Without training and educational measures, the dog becomes uncontrollable.
Yagdterriers need constant physical activity and regular working out of working qualities, therefore it is better to get them to people who differ in excessive activity and mobility. This pet will always be happy to accompany the owner in long hikes, bike rides, any trips.
Dogs of this breed are getting used to the new conditions perfectly, that's why they are good for families that often change their place of residence. Having received a good upbringing, the dog is friendly to all members of the family, he sincerely loves his owners and is unlimitedly loyal to them.
Yagter terriers treat children well and are very fond of joint active games. They are excellent defenders, and are not afraid of opponents, superior in strength and size. Naturally, dogs are not suitable for joint keeping with other animals. The shortcomings of the breed include timidity and anger toward man, to vices - causeless aggression, unstable psyche.
Dressing and pulling dogs
Given the specifics of this breed, the processes of dressing can not be considered separately from dragging dogs to game. Naturally born hunters still require proper training. It is also worth noting that their training is a very specific process, since the nature of the yaggaters can not be called simple.
They are vicious and stubborn, which, even with developed intelligence, greatly complicates the learning process. In addition, because of strong hunting instincts, dogs have the ability, without getting a command, to decide for themselves how to act, based on circumstances. On the one hand - this is a valuable quality, on the other - possible difficulties.
The training requires a serious approach and consideration of the age, mental and personal characteristics of the pet. It is recommended to start the pet from the first days, as it turned out in a new house. If everything is done correctly, the dog will quickly learn standard commands, learn to behave properly, including in the house.
But in addition to the usual training , the yagter terrier needs training, which experts recommend carrying out in artificial burrows. This makes it possible to exercise control over the pet and help him if necessary. A half-year-old dog can be acquainted with a raccoon, then with a fox, and by a year and a half with a badger. In this matter, haste can harm, and it will be difficult to correct the situation. This especially applies to bitches, with males the same dressing is much easier.
The results of the dog's blood tests show that they have the same qualities as the huskies, but their scores, assessing the sense of smell and search, are somewhat higher than in the Laikas, Welsh and other breeds.
Caring for the yagurt terrier
The coat of the representatives of this breed is unpretentious in the care. To make the dog look great, it must be periodically cleaned with a special brush. Hard-haired yagter terriers need to be trimmed three or three times a year to rid them of dead hair. Frequent washing of the pet does not require, the procedure is carried out when it is only necessary. Caring follows the ears and teeth of the pet, cleaning them. Claws are trimmed as they grow - in winter, the procedure is performed more often.
Psychological comfort the dog feels, if she gets a chance to move a lot. A pet of such a plan is not suitable for people who like to spend their free time at the TV. Since the nature of the dogs of this breed has some aggression, they need to spend it and do it better through training and hunting. Ideally, dogs need 3-4 hours of mobile paddock per day.
Vaccination for yagter terriers is very important, because they contact not only other domestic animals, but also wild animals. Regular anthelminthic drugs should also be given and treated against external parasites.
Also look: how to teach a puppy to the toilet .
How and what to feed the jaguertrier
As in the case of other breeds, owners of yagter terriers have a choice - to feed the pet with ready-made diets or natural products. With natural feeding, it is necessary to prepare food for the dog every day, especially if it is a matter of several pets. Among the allowed products are the following:
- Meat: the representatives of the breed can easily assimilate the beef broth, but the boiled veal is not suitable for the diet, it can cause indigestion and diarrhea.
- By-products are an excellent food for German terriers. You can take the heart, lungs, kidneys, stomachs of birds and beef.
- Dairy products and sour milk - in the diet of the yagdterrier should be present low-fat cottage cheese, yogurt, yogurt, fermented baked milk. Milk can be given, but only fat-free.
- Groats - boiled buckwheat, oatmeal, rice, millet.
- Vegetables - there are a lot of options, you can boil the potato, give raw carrots, beets, zucchini, cabbage. It is useful to add fresh greens, sorrel, beet tops, previously sprinkled with boiled water to the young nettle.
Adult dogs are fed once or twice a day, bitches in position and nursing - three times. If the owner chooses feeding the pet with ready-made dry rations, then this should be a high-quality product that provides the dog with everything necessary. It is better to choose food from premium and super premium . It is recommended to increase the portion of food in winter to dogs that are kept on the street. It is better to use pure snow instead of water.
Photo of the German Yagterrier
Video about the German Yagterrier
How much does the puppy of the yaggter terrier
Despite the fact that the breed on the territory is not very common, but in the big cities nurseries that are breeding these dogs, there are. Experts do not recommend purchasing puppies from casual vendors, since in addition to the risks of obtaining a non-thoroughbred pet, it is possible to buy a puppy with behavioral abnormalities and genetic disorders.
In addition, professional breeders necessarily take care of the working qualities of their wards. The cost of thoroughbred kids with documents varies from 15,000 to 30,000 rubles. The lower price should alert.
The German hunting yagde terrier is a pet, which does not quite fit as a sofa companion. This dog is intended for hunting, participation in competitions and other active activities. In addition, he needs compulsory education and upbringing, the owner with a strong hand. Otherwise, the dog will be uncontrollable, and deliver a lot of trouble. If such difficulties do not frighten, then you can safely go for a new member of the family.