German mastiffs are proud, stately handsome, who never go unheeded by others. Appearing on the street, they attract admiring glances, but do not cause fear. And indeed, dogs with impressive sizes, however, do not have an evil character, which makes them attractive for content. What is known about these outstanding animals?
- История происхождения породы 1. History of the origin of the breed
- Описание породы немецкий дог 2. Description of breed German dog
- Окрасы немецких догов 3. Colors of the Great Danes
- Дрессировка немецких догов 4. Training of the Great Danes
- Характер и особенности немецких догов 5. Nature and characteristics of the Great Danes
- Уход за немецким догом 6. Caring for the Great Dane
- Как и чем кормить немецкого дога 7. How and what to feed the Great Dane
- Видео о немецком доге 8. Video about the Great Dane
- Стоимость щенка немецкого дога 9. The cost of a Great Dane puppy
History of the origin of the breed
The ancestors of the Great Danes once lived not in the territory of European countries, but in the east - in Tibet and served the aboriginal peoples as shepherds. They came from many modern breeds, including the Asian Shepherd Dog and the Tibetan Great Dane, which were later used to breed the Great Danes.
From Central Asia, the danes penetrated into the territory of India, China and Mesopotamia. In the most ancient states they were depicted on the walls of architectural buildings and houses. There is historical evidence that in those days these giants were used not only for hunting and grazing, but also as fighting dogs. And this shows that then these dogs were distinguished by a rather spiteful and ferocious temper.
In the first century AD, the mastiffs were real fighters who participated in the campaigns of the Romans, Greeks, Scythians and Germanic tribes. It so happened that there were more of these dogs in Germany than in other countries. At that time Danish mastiffs were distinguished from different types of mastiffs, and later they were taken as a basis for breeding the German danes. They had a constitution more elegant than mastiffs, dry and elegant. Danes were used as guard dogs and for baiting wild animals.
When at home to this breed cooled, the main gene pool of the Danish Great Danes was in Germany. German breeders appreciated the quality of dogs and began work on improving the breed. Selection work was conducted on the crossing of Danish danes with dog-shaped dogs, inhabiting the southern lands of Germany.
As a result, there were "Ulm" dogs, named after the city of Ulm, the breeders of which made a huge contribution to the improvement of the breed. But in the northern part of the country, dogs of this breed were actively bred, so two varieties of dog-like dogs participated - the Ulm Great Dane and the "advanced" Danish dog.
Later the breeders decided to join forces and create one of the two types of dogs - the Great Dane. It was very symbolic, because at that time the German Empire was proclaimed, and the specialists of the north and south began working together to bring out a beautiful dog. In the 79th year of the 19th century the Great Danes received the status of a national German breed.
However, the foundation of the Berlin club of the breed occurred only in 1888, and the adoption of a unified standard in two more years. According to him, the dog must have become a beautiful horse, be strong, huge and elegant. It is worth noting that this description also applies to modern breed representatives.
Today, the Great Danes can be found on the territory of various countries, including Russia. Despite their enormous size, they are excellent companions, because their mind, soft temper and devotion have no boundaries.
Description of breed German dog
The dog of this breed is large, harmoniously built, proportionate, has an expressive head and a noble bearing. The minimum growth of males should be 80 cm, the bitches - 72 cm.
According to the standard, the Great Danes have such distinctive characteristics:
- The head of the Great Dane is large, the shape is characterized by pronounced angles and parallel lines, with well-defined eyebrows. The forehead is high, flat, the transition from it to the muzzle is clearly marked. The nose is moderately broad, colored with a black pigment. The muzzle is distinguished by its impressive volume and depth. Upper lip, saggy, dark. The jaw is powerful, with large white teeth that form a bite by the type of "scissors".
- Eyes are medium in size, with a dark brown iris and tightly fitting eyelids. The look is expressive, intelligent. In dogs with blue wool and marble, the standard allows the eye color to be slightly lighter. The latter may be heterochromic, although this is undesirable.
- Since 1993, the standard has been amended and previously abolished the mandatory procedure for cupping the ears . In modern danes, ears of medium size, with a high fit, hang down and have a slight slant forward. Clogs are a disadvantage. In countries where ears are not forbidden, this operation is carried out based on the size and shape of the pet's head.
- The neck of the dogs is long, with a dry developed musculature, the nape and withers are well pronounced, especially in males. The back is enlarged, there is a smooth transition to a short convex lumbar region. In dogs, the croup, which has a powerful musculature, is slightly sloping.
- The tail is planted high, thick in the base and gradually tapering towards the tip. In length, it reaches the zapusnevogo (it is also called a hock) joint. When the dog is calm, the tail hangs down, during movement or when the pet is nervous, the tail is held at the level of the back.
- The chest is oval, it has a decent width and depth, the ribs are bulky. The abdomen and groin area create a smooth line with a beautiful smooth curve.
- Limbs (both rear and front) are parallel to each other. They have muscular shoulders. They end in short, arched, rounded paws, the fingers form a dense lump. The German Great Dane moves easily, freely, and springs, while his limbs move straight, without wagging.
The skin is elastic and tight fit to the body, does not form a crease and does not hang. Due to the fact that the dogs do not have sweat glands, the smell of the dog, characteristic of other breeds, is absent. The coat is very short, with gloss, does not have undercoat.
Colors of the Great Danes
The recognized standard are several types of colors:
- Paley - the main color can be a tone from light yellow (light golden) to a saturated hue, called "red gold", in this case it is desirable that the dog had a black mask.
- Tiger - the background colors from the palette of yellow shades - from light to thick, with a red tint - can act. The strips are arranged vertically, black, with clear contours, preferably their uniform distribution and the formation of a pattern that is similar to the color of a tiger. Mask black is welcome.
- With marble color - as the primary color is white, on the body spots are scattered, having a variety of shapes, contours can be uneven. The desired color for black spots, although gray and brown shades are also acceptable.
- With black hair, a woolly covering is solid, with gloss, without greyish, yellowish shades. They also include individuals with a "raincoat" color - dogs with black hair have white markings on various parts of the body. This color creates an illusion, as if a white dog covered with a cloak.
- Blue - dogs of light gray color, wool should not have a yellowish or other shade.
Training of Great Danes
It will seem strange to many that it is very rare to meet the owner of a Great Dane with a pet on training grounds. Yes, these dogs have a natural intelligence, but this does not free them from training and socialization. The owner of the puppy of this breed must take into account that the unguided giant strong dog will create more significant problems than the poorly brought up Yorkshire terrier.
If the puppy was in the hands of an inexperienced dog breeder, then it is worthwhile to attend the lessons of professional dressing , always with the presence of the master himself. This will allow you to find the right approach to your pet, and the dog will learn to listen to the owner. It takes a lot of patience to train, and any form of cruelty is prohibited. Physical methods can lead to the dog being unnecessarily shy or aggressive.
The German dog can be influenced by the voice, since thoroughbred representatives react very sensitively to intonational changes. A puppy of a German dog can be started to be trained from 2 months. First of all, the kid must learn a set of mandatory commands and it happens quite quickly. It takes a pet a few days to understand what is required of him, and he will diligently perform everything, trying to please the owner. After that, you can start more complex teams. It is important to use various ways of encouraging - treats, praise and approving looks are able to stimulate the pet to learn.
Beautiful breed: cane corso .
Character and features of the Great Danes
Dogs of this breed are very large, tender and devoted. Their patience can only be envied. Thanks to good nature they are recommended as pets for the family. They are very devoted to their owners and the best leisure for them is being with family members. The mastiffs do not like being alone, they need to have someone at home from the household.
But experts warn that the German mastiffs are capable of showing stubbornness and lack of will, so they need a master with leadership qualities. To the dog was balanced and self-confident, it must be socialized as early as possible. German dogs should be dealt with, give them enough time. And this should be taken into account when acquiring a puppy. In addition, the dogs have increased salivation, and they are abundantly molting.
Young dogs of this breed rustle and can foul, so they are constantly watched. Dogs need regular physical activity. It is necessary to let the pet run without a leash, and this will require a safe area. The Great Dane will be fine with the younger members of the family, but if there are very young children in the house, problems can arise because of large dimensions.
With regard to other pets, the relation to them does not predetermine in advance. They can perfectly coexist with other pets, but sometimes dogs take a dominant position. In this case, a timely socialization of the dog is required. To outsiders, dogs can be treated with indifference, but can exhibit a certain kind of feelings.
From the Great Dane, excellent watchmen can be obtained, although they do not bark very often. The main weapon against intruders is large size and power, even the look of a giant can cause fear. Generally speaking, German mastiffs are devoid of aggression and do not aspire to domination, but they need to be trained. In addition, it is important that the pet learns who is in the house the main thing.
Care of the Great Dane
On average, the danes live 8 years, but proper care can increase this period by 4-5 years. Since the dogs do not have undercoat, they contain them in a private house or apartment, given their need for a spacious room. The coat is short and does not require special care. You can wipe it 3-4 times a month with a damp cloth, removing dirt, dust, and this will be enough. To wash a pet or apply dry shampoos is recommended only if it is heavily soiled.
Claws are cut very rarely, as in most cases they are stitched naturally. Eyes should be inspected regularly, and the available extracts should be removed with a swab of cotton wool, which should be moistened beforehand in chamomile broth, furacilin solution.
If the pet has uncropped ears, then they must be examined and cleaned with special means. Ears are docked at the age of 7 months. Mastiffs do not like fast running, but long walking walks will go to the pet for good.
How and what to feed the Great Dane
There are two options for feeding the Great Danes - natural food or ready-made production rations. Choosing a ready food, it is worth to purchase professional products of premium and super-premium class . For such dogs requires food for large and giant breeds. With natural feeding, the basis of the ration is lean meat (it is preliminarily scalded with boiling water) and boiled by-products.
You can give sea fish 2-3 times a week, boiled and boneless, poultry. Also in the menu of the pet is included sour-milk products, vegetables (except potatoes and legumes), porridges (except corn, pearl barley and millet cereals).
Video about the Great Dane
The cost of a puppy of the Great Dane
Buy a puppy of this breed without documents from random breeders can be an average of 12,000-16,000 rubles. But in this case there are no guarantees of purebredness and mental stability of the pet. All the necessary qualities are possessed by puppies sold by professional breeders, but, naturally, their cost is much higher and varies from 40,000 to 60,000 rubles.
German mastiffs are not only attracting everyone's attention, beautiful and stately dogs, but also a great responsibility. This must be remembered when choosing such a giant as a pet.
Read also: German Shepherd .