Dogs are prone to many diseases that people face. A runny nose in a dog represents a common inflammation of the mucous membranes of the nasal sinuses. It is important to recognize this disease at an early stage, as long as the disease has an initial form. It is necessary to find the cause of the ailment, because sometimes a cold speaks not of an ordinary cold , but of a plague or inflammation of the larynx.
- Симптомы насморка у собак 1. Symptoms of a common cold in dogs
- Причины ринита у собаки 2. Causes of rhinitis in dogs
- Лечение насморка у собак 3. Treatment of a cold in dogs
- О насморке у собак на видео 4. About the common cold in dogs on video
- Профилактика насморка у собак 5. Prophylaxis of the common cold in dogs
Symptoms of a common cold in dogs
Along with the common cold there are common symptoms that indicate a dog's discomfort:
- The condition of the animal becomes sluggish, the dog does not show interest in favorite toys, spends most of the time in a dream, may refuse to go for a walk.
- Perhaps a decrease in appetite or a complete loss, even once favorite delicacies do not cause the former emotions.
- In some cases, elevated body temperature is recorded, but even if it is normal, this does not mean a dog's health.
Symptoms that indicate a runny nose in a dog are as follows:
- The pet begins to sneeze often, and this is not due to the fact that he inhaled dust. Against this background dry nasopharynx appears, the dog licks his nose, tries to reach for it with his paw.
- Breathing is difficult, especially when the dog is asleep. There is a whistle from the nose, sniffing, snorting. Such sounds are like the sounds of a man caught cold.
- It can be seen that in the nose and under it formed secretions, they can be liquid or viscous, transparent and marshy, it depends on the causative agent of the disease. Under the nose there are frozen crusts.
- Due to severe itching, the dog can rub face on furniture.
All these symptoms indicate a classic form of the disease, but there are also neglected cases. If the rhinitis is not treated for a long time, the nasal passage will be completely blocked, the dog will not be able to breathe properly, it will inhale and exhale the air with the mouth - this can be heard right away.
If the disease takes serious turns, the discharge from the nose acquires a purulent color, sometimes they show veins of blood. In this case, the inner envelope of the sinuses swells up, acquires an inflamed appearance of pink color. Such symptoms indicate that the animal has long been suffering an illness. At this stage, the dog can lose weight, near the nose there will be cracks, a depressed state is noted.
In the case of follicular rhinitis, on the mucous membrane of the nasal sinuses appear build-ups, when they select, in their place remain wounded. You can not manually delete them, otherwise you can put an infection.
The doctor diagnoses the disease accurately. The veterinarian will determine the form of rhinitis, determine the course of the disease, or conclude that the common cold is one of the symptoms of another disease.
Causes of rhinitis in dogs
Before you start treating the animal, the exact cause of the runny nose is established. Often, the causative agent of rhinitis is harmful microorganisms, viruses, bacteria. Nasal congestion can appear against the background of a common cold, during which the opportunistic flora of all mucous membranes is activated, and maybe the plague virus became the causative agent.
Runny nose in some cases indicates an allergy that occurred against the background of ingress of dust, pollen, host spirits, anything. This is a difficult process, it must be stopped, otherwise the pet can expect a fatal outcome.
Irritation of the nasal membranes with volatile substances can also cause rhinitis. The most curious dogs suffer because of this subsequent inflammation of the mucosa. In most cases, the veterinarian prescribes drops, which in the shortest time relieve swelling.
If a foreign body has entered the nasal passage, for example, a splint, the pet will be tormented by purulent discharge, quite often with a trace of blood. Independent attempts to delete an item can worsen the situation. Extraction of a foreign body should be handled only by a veterinarian. The earlier he does this, the lower the chance of subsequent complications.
Sometimes rhinitis occurs due to compromised immunity against a background of chronic diseases. If the liver, kidneys, lungs or any other organ of the dog suffers, then all health in general is undermined. In this case, the treatment of the common cold does not give a lasting result, the doctor, first of all, should lead to a chronic remission of the disease.
Education in the nasal passage, such as polyps, papillomas, nodes, interfere with breathing, the mucous dries, against this background there is a runny nose. Solve the problem by an operative way.
The surgical method eliminates congenital and acquired defects of the jaw, nasal septums, interfering with normal breathing and causing rhinitis.
Fleas, mites or other parasites can be the root cause of the common cold. Pests irritate the nasal mucosa by movements, often stuck in the nasal passage. Sometimes dogs develop allergies to parasites. The only way to cure a pet from rhinitis is to save it from bloodsucking insects.
Treatment of a common cold in dogs
If you detect the first symptoms of a cold in a dog, you should immediately consult a doctor. Owners can provide first aid to the pet independently.
Before a visit to a doctor, you need:
- Inspect the nasal passages and mucous membrane, for this you can use a flashlight. The color of the discharge, their consistency is evaluated, the homogeneity of the inner surface of the nasal sinuses, their shade is checked. If a foreign body is found, nothing should be touched, it is forbidden to use drops, they can push the object even deeper.
- With the help of a wound gauze or a cotton pad around the nose, contaminants and crusts from the discharge are removed around the nose. Preliminarily, you can prepare a soothing infusion of chamomile and treat them to this area, the broth will temporarily relieve the dog of itching.
- Veterinarians allow the use of nasal drops of general action, designed to destroy harmful microbes and bacteria. For each nostril, one or two drops of Maxidin, Anandine or a similar solution for dogs are sufficient. These drugs will not harm the pet, they are distinguished by their mild effect on the tissues of the mucous membrane.
- A dog can not lie in a draft or a cold floor - this can aggravate the disease. We need to make sure that the dog settles in warm places where there is no way to get cold.
- Food should be familiar to the dog, you can not switch to another food at the moment of illness. It is important to provide the animal with an abundant drink, preferably give warm water.
After an unhealthy pet is given first aid, you need to show it to a veterinarian. The doctor will choose the treatment, depending on the pathogens of the common cold.
In some cases, it is necessary to wash the nasal sinuses, the veterinarian can do it once, and can prescribe this procedure on a daily basis. Washing is carried out at home, for this purpose medicinal disinfectant solutions, as well as infusions of chamomile, calendula, St. John's wort are intended. Sometimes the doctor advises adding an iodine solution in the mixture.
In the case of follicular rhinitis, antibiotics are required. The formed growths are softened with ointment or petroleum jelly, sometimes hydrogen peroxide is used for this. Several times a day make lotions in the nasal aperture.
In the chronic form of the disease, the veterinarian appoints powders that dry the skin around the nose. Prolonged cold in many cases is a symptom of a more serious disease, the dog will be assigned to analyzes and studies aimed at finding the root cause.
About the common cold in dogs on video
Prophylaxis of the common cold in dogs
In most cases, rhinitis causes colds, prevention will help to minimize the risk of the disease.
Preventive measures include:
- Quality nutrition . Many breeds of dogs suffer from inappropriate food. Pick up the feed will help the vet. With a doctor it is recommended to consult about the intake of additional vitamins in the period of vitamin deficiency .
- Active lifestyle . The dog should be on the street at least 2 times a day, walking should be a fairly long time. The exception is poor weather conditions, in this case, the walking time is shortened.
- Exclusion of hypothermia . The animal should not be cold, it is necessary to ensure that the dog sleeps in a comfortable, dry place, not in a draft. In the cold season during a walk you need to wear a warm jacket for a pet.
- Inoculations . It is necessary to regularly show the dog to the veterinarian and perform vaccinations, following the plan.
- Fencing communication with sick animals . A dog can catch a virus disease from another dog, so if possible, it is necessary to protect your pet from communicating with sick individuals.
Another important point - hardening, it has a beneficial effect on the whole body, strengthens the immune system. It consists in the gradual increase in the time of walking in bad weather. If there is frost, then the paddock should be shorter, but within a day you need to take your pet out on the street more often than usual.
Prevention and timely diagnostics will not allow undermining the health of the pet.