On the one hand - a dog with a bone in the teeth - this is quite a familiar sight. So pets are shown in movies, cartoons, pictures and books. And on the street you can meet a dog running about his business with this delicacy in his teeth. And, about their love for bones, you can compose odes - not one dog in its right mind will give up such a yummy. But such food to the majority of owners of four-legged friends does not inspire confidence, since it seems dangerous. Where is the truth here and can you give the dog bones?
Some experts are inclined to think that it is possible to give bones to dogs, but it should be remembered that this is not food, but rather entertainment. And, in addition, it is necessary to take into account the characteristics of the breed, the individual characteristics of the pet. And the bone of the bone is different.
I want to focus on those bones that should never be present in the diet of a pet, even in the form of a toy! This list includes the following:
- Tubular bones of birds (chickens, turkeys, geese, etc.) . It does not matter whether they are from the factory or the household, they should not be given. They are in the limbs - paws, hips, wings. Given that the turkey is a very large bird and slaughter it after reaching 2-3 years, one can imagine what large and strong bones are in it. The same applies to ducks, goose bones, they can lead to perforation, that is, damage, intestinal walls.
- Bones of rabbits . They are small, which causes the confidence of dog owners. However, the fractured bone of the rib, limbs, especially the back, the spine, has very sharp edges.
Bones can be used for cooking porridges, but beforehand broth should be filtered, excluding the ingress of fragments into it. But cartilage tissue can be left.
A dog with a bone, a kitty with a fish, a rabbit with a carrot ... So they bring us up from childhood, but is this true? Many people do not even hesitate to feed the dog to the pet, and this can lead to the death of the pet. It is worth debunking, in whole or in part, the main points:
- The dog was once a wild animal, and it definitely needs solid food. Yes, wild animals eat solid food, bones including. But unlike pets, they live much less, the maximum duration is 8 years. This is often due to the fact that dogs deteriorate, teeth fall out, there are violations in the digestive system. Their intestines are clogged with splinters of bones, various garbage, etc., penetrate here. Although solid food is needed, but not necessarily bones. A darling can chew fresh vegetables, for example, carrots. But dogs that eat dry diets, there is no special need for additional solid food.
- The bones help the dog to sharpen the teeth. First, it is necessary to gnaw firm puppies during the period of teeth change. And this is due not to sharpening of the teeth, but to discomfort, itching of the gums. And dogs with permanent teeth, bones not only do not help them sharpen, but they also grind away, breaking the integrity of the enamel layer. There is also the risk of tearing canines or incisors.
- Bones are necessary for cleaning teeth. But for these purposes, not bone, but well-boiled cartilaginous tissue is suitable. Not knowing this feature, the owners give dogs pigs of raw pigs, ears, legs, not thinking that in the pork may be the causative agent of the infection "false rabies". This virus does not pose a threat to humans, but for the dog is threatened with death. Disease-causing microbes die in the process of heat treatment, so you can give the dog boiled pig ears. Moreover, cartilage tissue is useful for dogs.
- Puppies with a change of teeth must be given bones. Maybe earlier, when a special alternative did not exist, this was actual, and the puppies need to scratch the gums about the big moslaks. But today in pet stores a lot of more useful devices are sold, which the puppy can chew for a long time, without threat to health. And the owner can not worry that the pet will have a dislocation of the jaw or spoil the bite, which is possible if the dog is gnawing a large object for a long time.
In addition, gastric juice in dogs of increased acidity, it even bones can soften. Bone acquires a rubbery consistency, which does not give anything useful to the pet.
If it seems that dogs have no problems with eating bones, then veterinarians can easily refute it. Dogs are trapped in the following:
- Injury of the pharyngeal tissues: scratches on mucous membranes, vascular damage, accompanied by severe bleeding, trachea. In the latter cases, a lethal outcome is possible.
- Choking is another reason that animals die. In this case, the bone gets stuck, and the dog, unable to swallow, chokes with drooling.
- Bone stuck in the stomach - the pet begins to vomit , so the body tries to get rid of the alien object. This, accordingly, does not occur, and in the process the animal is disturbed by the electrolyte balance. If the dog does not receive medical care, then she dies of dehydration.
- Bones accumulate in the stomach, which leads to intestinal obstruction or bleeding.
I wonder how many dogs sleep per day .
Which bones can be given
Such, in fact, not much at all:
- cooked to a soft state, chicken bones can be given to a dog;
- beef mollusks, round joints;
- spongy bones of beef or mutton.
Specialists are inclined to the fact that the best dog will do without a favorite treat, than it will make significant health problems.