Chihuahuas are the breed of the smallest dogs in the world, however, in the light of the modern tendency to acquire tiny doggies, and this is not enough. And among the puppies-babies there are especially tiny individuals, which are called “minikami”. What is surprising in a mini chihuahua, except for the size, and what should the future owners of such a crumb be prepared for?
- Историческая справка 1. Historical background
- Внешний вид 2. Appearance
- Описание породы мини чихуахуа 3. Description of the mini chihuahua breed
- Советы по выбору щенка 4. Tips for choosing a puppy
- Характер и дрессировка 5. Character and training
- Содержание и уход 6. Maintenance and care
- Фото мини чихуахуа 7. Photo mini chihuahua
- Видео о мини чихуахуа 8. Video about mini chihuahua
- Здоровье мини-чихуахуа 9. Health mini chihuahua
Researchers believe that the ancestors of Chihuahua are dogs that lived in the oldest Indian tribes. Their images are found in the form of wall images relating to the culture of the Aztec and Maya, and many sculptural figurines were found in the oldest Mexican temples.
In addition, during archaeological excavations of mounds, historians have found bones that are similar in structure to the skeleton of modern representatives of the breed. Judging by all signs, these dogs were honored, were considered sacred animals, because their remains were found in the graves of the leaders and other nobles.
At home in Mexico, these little dogs were called "leech". They were first seen by Europeans in an area called Chihuahua, which determined the name of the breed. Initially, the dog had long hair, and only much later, after converting them with another breed, Chinese Crested, animals appeared with a short, smooth coat.
The first thing that comes to mind at the sight of Chihuahua dogs, what they are cute and funny. And indeed, it is difficult to keep a smile, so the doggie of this breed is positive. There are two breed varieties: sleek and longhair.
The first type is the more common, the coat of such chihuash is soft, smooth, with a glossy shine. A slight lengthening may be in the neck, tail, abdomen and attractive face.
In short-haired dogs, the undercoat may be absent. But if it is still there, then it is a dense, short cover. To breeding do not allow individuals with hard wool.
In long-haired dogs, the cover is soft, silky, straight or with a small wave. There are rich feathering on the limbs, ears, abdomen, on the neck there is a pronounced collar. As for the colors, they are quite diverse, individuals may have a white, black, spotted or tan coat.
Less common are sandy dogs with a silver-gray tint with a bluish or bluish tint. Dogs with this coat color are rather difficult to breed, as the gene responsible for blue color is associated with some hereditary diseases.
Breed description Chihuahua
Despite the deep history, official recognition of the breed came only in the early 20th century. However, these kids almost immediately attracted attention and were included in the list of "secular" favorites. The approval of the standard occurred in 1923, and, according to its data, dogs of this breed must comply with the following description:
- The height of an adult chihuahua varies from 15 to 23 cm, and the weight from one and a half kilogram to 2.5. However, only those representatives of the breed whose mass does not exceed 1.7 kg fall into the “mini” category. Such crumbs, although not recognized by canine organizations as a separate species, are very popular among dog breeders.
- The head has a rounded shape, resembling an apple, with a prominent forehead, a clearly pronounced transition from the frontal region to the muzzle and a moderately shortened nose, slightly upturned. The bee is of medium size, any color is allowed. The muzzle is short, with a wide base and a pointed tip. The lips are thin, tightly pressed, the teeth are small, strong, create a bite of the type of "scissors". The eyes are rather large, round, with a dark iris and a very expressive look. Auricles in dogs rather large, set vertically, have the shape of a triangle with rounded tips.
- Torso . The neck is of medium length, there is a slight bend, the suspension is absent, in dogs it is wider and stronger than in females. The Chihuahua is compact, its body is slightly elongated, with a strong, short back, weakly expressed withers and muscular loin. The croup has a slight slope, extended and flattened. The chest is different in depth and width, the ribs have a pronounced bend, but not barrel-shaped. Belly perfectly tucked.
- The tail is of medium length, with a wide landing, a wide base, and narrows towards the tip. It curves along a curve or along an oval line.
- Limbs . Possess well-defined shoulders, tight-fitting shoulder blades. They are well muscled, the front ones are set straight, with slightly inclined, small oval pasterns and dense pads. The hind limbs are parallel to each other, have well-defined angles of the joints and tarsus with pronounced Achilles tendons. Ends also small, oval legs.
In determining the standard doggie taken into account various indicators, special attention is paid to their height and weight.
Tips for choosing a puppy
Experts of the future owners warn that the smaller the Chihuahua, the greater the risk of various problems. Having decided on the institution of the pet "mini", the owner immediately agrees to significantly overpay - the tinier the baby from the litter, the higher its price. In addition, the cost will be affected by other factors, for example, the presence of a beautiful breed attractive face, an active temperament, a strong body.
As for the compliance of the standard, these indicators are not so important, since individuals of this category do not participate in breeding and are not allowed to be shown. Buying a pet as a pet, it is better to treat its health, rather than to the exterior.
As noted above, puppies with bluish hair (the color is called “merle”) are extraordinarily beautiful. However, due to the threat to health, such individuals are rejected, even if their parameters meet standard requirements.
Because of their tiny size, females of this breed are not able to produce offspring on their own, and during pregnancy the risks of death of both the fetus and the future mom are high. Therefore, acquiring a baby of this breed, you should seriously think about sterilization.
In addition, you should contact a specialist who is familiar with the specifics of operating these tiny animals, because their weight implies a careful selection of the dose of anesthesia.
Often in puppies "minikov" there is an excessively large head and an extended spring, such signs signal the likelihood of developing hydrocephalus. It is difficult to predict whether ailment will manifest itself or not, but such babies are different from the rest - they sleep more, they are worried about headaches when the weather changes, and the development is slower than that of fellows.
But in this case, the dog should not have signs of loss of orientation, appetite, the pet should be interested in the surrounding events and not be apathetic. Even an experienced veterinarian is unable to detect hydrocephalus in a puppy at an early age, so its symptoms manifest by 3-5 months.
How can you choose a puppy from a litter? After all, as you know, among the babies of one bitch there can be both standard and minicars? Even professionals do not know the exact answer, despite the fact that miniature is laid at the genetic level. After all, there are some nuances:
- In a multiple litter, puppies are born small, and up to 3 months of age they gain weight slowly and then jumps in growth.
- When females get 1-2 puppies, they are often big, they eat well and grow, however, if we are talking about mini, then their growth after 3 months slows down.
It is not necessary to respond to calls from breeders to purchase from them a superfood of small chihuahuas of a new variety. In any case, the baby is bought at random, so you should be prepared for the fact that the pet will grow a little larger than expected.
To reduce the risks, it is recommended to look at the litters of producers who have already given offspring more than once, being paired. In this case, the owners may assume that there will again be minics in the litter. Or purchase an adult puppy or adult dog, which is already fully formed.
Character and training
Many have a question, why train a dog that fits on the palm? But, even being a pocket variant, the Chihuahua does not cease to be a dog. Of course, such a pet is easier to reason with than larger brothers, but do not forget about other important points of training and education:
- the dog becomes more obedient and docile, and therefore there will be fewer situations where the dog, not thinking about the risks, shows his courage and recklessness;
- Chihuahas are prone to escaping - a raised dog will not behave this way;
- representatives of this breed can be pugnacious, and quite often skirmishes end pitiably for a teaser - you can avoid such situations again if the pet unquestioningly performs the necessary command.
As in the case of other breeds, training should begin with basic skills, and this should be done from puppyhood. First of all, you should rely on the natural aspirations of the animal - to be full, to have a cozy, comfortable place and toys for various leisure activities.
Dog requires socialization, that is, it must necessarily be introduced to the outside world and the creatures living in it. You can not keep a puppy at home all the time, even if he meets his needs in the tray. You can take it with you, give an opportunity to communicate with other dogs and encourage you to make the right independent decisions.
What is required of a raised dog? He should not climb on the furniture and spoil things. Some owners think that the pet will outgrow the puppy age and stop messing it up. You should not hope so when it comes to Chihuahuas who have their own principles.
Maintenance and care
It is better to learn about the peculiarities of keeping and caring for a pet of a certain breed before the puppy crosses the threshold of the house. At first, the dog will need the following:
- a bed - it can be a mattress, a rug, a pad, or a house; the main condition is that the pet should be comfortable;
- 2 bowls - pour water into one, put food into another; at the choice it is necessary to be guided by the size of the pet; metal is considered the best material;
- toilet tray - initially babies can put a rag, later a tray is installed, with or without filling; during training it is recommended to put pieces of paper at the bottom that attract the dog;
- toilet on the street - chihuahuas can be led outside, except for the use of a tray, in this case, the dog is taken at the same time 2-3 times a day;
- toys - they should be small, high-quality, the baby should not crush them, swallowing the pieces or the whole object;
- wool accessories - combs and brushes are selected depending on the type of wool; short-haired doggies are combed twice a week, and long-haired ones - daily.
- detergents - bathe individuals with a short coat every 3-4 months, with a long coat every 4-6 weeks; after the procedure it is recommended drying with a hairdryer; in order to prevent water from entering the ear canals, it is better to plug the ears with cotton balls.
- a toothbrush and a special toothpaste - chihuasis often form tartar, so brushing your teeth should be a daily procedure.
Chihuahuas need regular vaccinations, parasite treatment and anthelmintic drugs. Dogs of this breed can be fed with both natural products and industrial feed. A dry diet should be specialized, suitable for miniature breeds.
Chihuahuas are prone to obesity, so you should watch how much food your pet consumes, and if food remains in its bowl after the meal, then perhaps you should reduce the portion.
The diet of a pet with natural feeding should consist of meat, offal, eggs, cereal, vegetables and fruits. Cereals are recommended to be seasoned with vegetable oil, add chopped fresh greens. Chihuahuas are real pickups, but you should not go on about the pet, giving him tasty but junk food that could harm health.
Photo mini chihuahua
Video about mini chihuahua
Mini chihuahua health
Any veterinarian will confirm that the smaller the dog is, the more health problems it has, and future owners should be prepared for this. As already noted, minion puppies often have a large spring, which leads to the development of hydrocephalus.
In addition, 80% of these babies suffer from bouts of hypoglycemia - a sharp decrease in the amount of glucose in the blood, especially this occurs in individuals whose weight does not exceed 650 grams. The animal may faint, and it is important for the host to know what to do in this case. Usually breeders are engaged in artificially maintaining the health of the offspring:
- puppies are given injections with glucose preparations;
- periodically give sweetened some water;
- monitor strict adherence to the feeding regime;
- food is given in small portions;
- take care that the baby is not very tired, limit the time of games, keep the baby in a small room.
Faced with a similar pathology, the owner should consult with a veterinarian. A puppy may refuse food, but not always a sign of illness. Thus, the baby can protest against the proposed food, usually the similar behavior of the crumb "outgrow" by 4-5 months.
Chihuahua mini - not a separate breed, but only smaller representatives that are not used for breeding and show careers. If you are going to acquire such a baby “for the soul”, the owner should not be upset if his four-legged friend, instead of one and a half kilogram, suddenly grows 2 times! From this he will not be less funny, loyal and loved.