Chihuahua is the breed of the smallest dogs in the world, however, in light of the current trend towards acquiring tiny dogs, and this is not enough. And among the puppies-babies there are especially tiny individuals, which are called "minicar". What's so surprising about the mini Chihuahua, in addition to the size, and what should the future owners of such crumbs prepare for?
- Историческая справка 1. Historical Background
- Внешний вид 2. Appearance
- Описание породы мини чихуахуа 3. Description of the breed mini chihuahua
- Советы по выбору щенка 4. Tips for choosing a puppy
- Характер и дрессировка 5. Character and training
- Содержание и уход 6. Maintenance and care
- Фото мини чихуахуа 7. Photo of the mini Chihuahua
- Видео о мини чихуахуа 8. Video about mini chihuahua
- Здоровье мини-чихуахуа 9. Mini-Chihuahua Health
Researchers believe that the ancestors of Chihuahua are the dogs that lived in the ancient Indian tribes. Their images are found in the form of wall paintings related to the culture of the Aztecs and Maya, and many sculptural figures were found in the oldest Mexican temples.
In addition, during the archaeological excavations of burial mounds, historians have found bones similar in structure to the skeleton of the modern breed. Judging by all signs, these dogs were held in high esteem, were considered sacred animals, because their remains were found in the burials of leaders and other nobility.
At home in Mexico, these little dogs were called "teicichi". The first time they were seen by Europeans in the area called Chihuahua, which determined the name of the breed. Initially, the doggies possessed long hair and only much later, after they were brought to another breed - the Chinese Crested, there were animals with a short, smooth fur.
The first thing that comes to mind when you see chihuahua dogs is how cute and funny they are. And really, it is difficult to restrain a smile, so dogs of this breed are positive. There are two breed varieties: smooth-haired and long-haired.
The first type is more common, the wool cover of such chihuashes is soft, smooth, with a glossy sheen. Minor lengthening can be in the neck, tail, stomach and face.
In dogs with short hair, the undercoat may be absent. But if it does exist, it is a dense, short covering. To the breeding is not allowed individuals with stiff hair.
In long-haired dogs the cover is soft, silky, straight or with a small wave. There are rich feathers on the limbs, ears, abdomen, on the neck there is a pronounced collar. As for the colors, they are quite diverse, individuals can have a white, black, spotted or taned coat.
Less often, there are pesikas with wool of a silvery-gray hue with a bluish or bluish tint. Dogs with this coat color are quite difficult to breed, since the gene responsible for the blue color has a connection with some hereditary ailments.
Description of the breed mini chihuahua
Despite the deep history, official recognition for the breed came only in the early 20th century. However, these kids almost immediately attracted attention and fell into the list of "secular" favorites. The standard was approved in 1923, and according to him, the dogs of this breed must comply with the following description:
- The growth of adult chihuahua ranges from 15 to 23 cm, and weight - from one and a half kilos to 2.5. However, only those representatives of the breed, whose mass does not exceed 1.7 kg, fall into the "mini" category. Similar crumbs, though not recognized by the cynological organizations as a separate species, are very popular among dog breeders.
- The head is round in shape, resembling an apple, with a convex forehead, a pronounced transition from the frontal region to the muzzle and a moderately shortened nose, slightly upturned. The lobe is medium in size, any color is allowed. The muzzle is short, with a wide base and pointed tip. The lips are thin, tightly pressed, the teeth are small, strong, creating a bite by the type of "scissors". Eyes large enough, round, with a dark iris and a very expressive look. The ears in the dogs are quite large, set vertically, in the form of a triangle with rounded tips.
- Torso . The neck is of medium length, there is a slight bend, the suspension is absent, in the male it is wider and stronger than in females. The constitution of the chihuahua is compact, the body is slightly elongated, with a strong, short back, a weakly expressed withers and a muscular loin. Croup has a slight inclination, widened and flattened. The thorax differs in depth and width, the ribs have a pronounced bend, but not barrel-shaped. The abdomen is perfectly fit.
- The tail is of medium length, with a wide fit, a wide base, and tapers towards the tip. It curves along a curve or along an oval line.
- Extremities . They have well-defined shoulders, tight fitting blades. They are well muscled, the forelegs are straight, with slightly inclined, small oval pasterns and dense pads. Hind legs are parallel to each other, have well-defined joint angles and metatarsals with pronounced Achilles tendons. They also end in small, oval paws.
When determining the dog standard, various indicators are taken into account, special attention is paid to their growth and weight.
Tips for choosing a puppy
Specialists of future owners warn that, the smaller the Chihuahua, the greater the risk of various problems. Deciding to establish a pet "mini", the owner immediately agrees to significantly overpay - the tiny baby from the litter, so its price is higher. In addition, the cost will affect other factors, for example, the presence of a beautiful breed muzzle, an active temperament, a strong body.
As for the compliance of the standard, these indicators are not so important, since individuals of this category do not participate in breeding and are not allowed to exhibitions. Buying a pet as a pet, it is better to treat his health, rather than to the exterior.
As mentioned above, puppies with bluish fur (color called "merle") are unusually beautiful. However, because of the health threat, such individuals are rejected, even if their parameters meet the standard requirements.
Because of the small size, the females of this breed are not able to produce the offspring on their own, and during pregnancy the risks of death of both the fetus and the future mamma are high. Therefore, acquiring a baby of this breed, it is worth seriously thinking about sterilization.
In addition, you should consult a specialist who is familiar with the specifics of operating these tiny animals, because their weight implies careful selection of the dose of the drug for anesthesia.
Often in puppies of "minicillas" there is an excessively large head and an enlarged fontanel, similar signs signal the likelihood of hydrocephalus development. It is difficult to predict whether the disease will manifest itself or not, but these babies are different from the rest - they sleep more, they are concerned about headaches when the weather changes, and the development is slower than that of the brethren.
But in this case, the dog should not show signs of loss of orientation, appetite, the pet should be interested in surrounding events and not be apathetic. Even an experienced veterinarian is unable to detect a hydrocephalus in a puppy at an early age, so its symptomatology manifests itself to 3-5 months.
How to choose a puppy from a litter, after all, as is known, among the babies of one bitch can be both standard and minicar? The exact answer is not even known to professionals, despite the fact that the miniature is laid down at the genetic level. After all, there are some nuances:
- In a multiple litter puppies appear small, and until 3 months of age, they gain weight slowly, and then there is a jump in growth.
- When a female is born with 1-2 puppies, they are often large, eat well and grow, but if it comes to mini, then their growth after 3 months slows down.
It is not necessary to respond to calls of breeders to purchase from them a super-puper of small chihuahua of a new variety. In any case, the kid is bought at random, so it is worthwhile to be prepared for the fact that the pet will grow slightly larger than expected.
To reduce the risks, it is recommended to look at the litters of the producers, who have repeatedly given offspring while being paired. In this case, the owners can assume that in the litter again there will be minics. Or, to acquire a grown-up puppy or adult doggie, which is already fully formed.
Character and training
Many people have a question, why do dogs training, which is placed on the palm of your hand? But, even being a pocket option, the chihuahua does not cease to be a dog. Of course, such a pet is easier to reason with than larger brethren, but do not forget about other important points of education and upbringing:
- the dog becomes more obedient and complaisant, which means there will be fewer situations when the dog, without thinking about the risks, shows his courage and recklessness;
- Chihuahu are prone to escape - the well-bred dog will not behave like this;
- representatives of this breed can be pugnacious, and often skirmishes end badly for the teaser - to avoid such situations again, you can if the pet implicitly performs the necessary command.
As in the case of other breeds, training should begin with basic skills, and this should be done already from puppyhood. First of all, it is worth to rely on the natural aspirations of the animal - to be full, to have a cozy, comfortable place and toys for a variety of leisure activities.
Pesik requires socialization, that is, it should necessarily be introduced to the surrounding world and the creatures that inhabit it. You can not keep the puppy at home all the time, even if it does it in the tray. You can take it with you, give the opportunity to communicate with other dogs and encourage the adoption of proper independent decisions.
What is required of a well-bred dog? He should not get on furniture and spoil things. To some owners it seems that the pet will outgrow the puppy's age and stop foul. Do not rely on this, if we are talking about Chihuahua, having their own principles.
Maintenance and care
It is better to learn about the peculiarities of keeping and caring for a certain breed before the puppy crosses the threshold of the house. At first, the dog needs the following:
- Lounger - it can be a mattress, a rug, a pillow or a house; the main condition - the pet should be cozy;
- 2 bowls - in one pour water, in another put food; when choosing should be guided by the size of the pet; the best material is metal;
- toilet tray - initially kids can put a rag, later install a tray, with or without filler; during the training it is recommended to put pieces of paper on the bottom that attract the dog;
- the toilet on the street - the chihuahua can be driven to the street, excluding the use of the tray, in this case the dog is removed at the same time 2-3 times a day;
- toys - they should be small, high-quality, the kid should not gnaw them, swallowing pieces or an object as a whole;
- accessories for wool - combs and brushes are selected depending on the type of wool; Dogs with short fur are combed twice a week, long-haired - daily.
- detergents - bathe individuals with short fur once every 3-4 months, with a length - every 4-6 weeks; after the procedure, drying with a hair dryer is recommended; so that water does not penetrate into the ear canals, it is better to plug the ears with cotton balls.
- brush and special toothpaste - the chihuahs often have tartar, so brushing your teeth should be a daily routine.
Chihuahua need regular vaccination, treatment from parasites and taking vermifuge preparations. To feed dogs of this breed it is possible both natural products, and industrial forages. The dry diet should be specialized, suitable for miniature breeds.
Chihuahuas are prone to obesity, so it's worth keeping an eye on how much food the pet uses, and if there is food left in the bowl after meals, then perhaps the portion should be reduced.
The diet of a pet with natural feeding should consist of meat, offal, eggs, porridge, vegetables and fruits. It is recommended to season the groats with vegetable oil, add crushed fresh herbs. Chihuahua - the real fuss, but do not go on about the pet, giving him a tasty, but harmful food, capable of harming health.
Photo of mini chihuahua
Video about mini chihuahua
Mini Chihuahua Health
Any veterinarian will confirm that the smaller the dog, the more problems she has with health, and future owners should be ready for this. As already noted, often puppies of miners have a large fontanel, which leads to the development of hydrocephalus.
In addition, 80% of these babies suffer from attacks of hypoglycemia - a sharp decrease in the amount of glucose in the blood, especially often in individuals whose weight does not exceed 650 grams. The animal can faint, and it is important for the owner to know what to do in this case. Usually breeders are engaged in artificial maintenance of health of posterity:
- puppies are given injections with glucose preparations;
- periodically give sweetened water;
- follow strict compliance with the feeding regime;
- food is given in small portions;
- take care that the baby is not very tired, limit the time of games, keep the baby in a small room.
Faced with this pathology, the owner should consult a veterinarian. Puppy can refuse food, but not always it is a sign of illness. Thus, the baby can protest against the proposed food, usually such behavior of the crumb "outgrows" to 4-5 months.
Chihuahua mini is not a separate breed, but only smaller representatives that are not used for breeding and show careers. Going to buy such a baby "for the soul", the owner should not be upset if his four-legged friend, instead of a half kilogram, suddenly grow 2 times! From this he will not become less amusing, faithful and loved.