The period of motherhood for the dog and its owners is an excellent, but at the same time, a dangerous time, as the body, which is weakened by pregnancy and childbirth, lies in wait for various illnesses. Dog mastitis is one of the most common diseases in the postpartum period. How does it manifest and how to help the female in this difficult time for her?
- Разновидности мастита у собак 1. Varieties of mastitis in dogs
- Причины возникновения мастита у собак 2. Causes of mastitis in dogs
- Клинические проявления болезни 3. Clinical manifestations of the disease
- Лечение мастита у собаки 4. Treatment of mastitis in a dog
- Как предупредить болезнь 5. How to prevent illness
Varieties of mastitis in dogs
First of all, it is necessary to figure out what kind of a disease. Mastitis, in most cases, appears after childbirth or when a false pregnancy is diagnosed, that is, its development is directly related to the intensive secretion of milk in the mammary glands. Among microbes, streptococcal and staphylococcal sticks most often provoke mastitis.
There are the following types of disease:
- Catarrhal mastitis. This type of disease is dangerous because, without having a certain experience, it will be very difficult to detect it. Symptoms are practically absent, except for the presence of mucus in secretory secretions. Without timely treatment, more serious forms of the disease develop from catarrhal mastitis - serous mastitis or catarrhal-purulent.
- Serous mastitis. An inflammatory exudate appears in the milk secreted by the mammary glands. This type of illness is also impossible to detect without clinical diagnosis.
- Fibrous type. In this case, simultaneously with milk, fibrin threads, which look like white, dense cords, come out of the glands.
- Purulent view of mastitis. In the milk of a nursing dog, foreign particles of pus appear - they can have the appearance of stretching filaments or individual pieces of a whitish or yellowish shade. Milk, in most cases, varies in color and smell. With this form of mastitis, breastfeeding should immediately stop.
- Phlegmonous mastitis. With this disease, pus accumulates in the layer of subcutaneous tissue and spreads in the inner layers of the skin. Initially, it does not enter the milk, but after the bacteria have spread to the lobes, purulent chunks will be noticed in the milk.
- Abscessing mastitis. This form manifests itself as an abscess on the affected part of the mammary glands. Abscessive mastitis is rarely diagnosed.
- Mastitis gangrenous character . It is considered the most severe form of the disease in which breast tissue dies and decomposes.
Causes of mastitis in dogs
There are many reasons why a dog may develop mastitis. These include the following:
- Injury of the mammary glands by the sharp claws of the puppies during the feeding period can lead to the fact that harmful bacteria causing inflammation get into the wounds.
- Congestive processes in the mammary glands (it is called stagnant mastitis), caused by the accumulation of milk, which remains in the udder, if the dog has dead offspring, kicked off the breast early on, or with strong lactation.
- When emphysematous fruits (decomposed in utero), the fetus, which lingered in the birth canal, infecting females during gestation with offspring endometritis , as well as diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, the infection penetrates into the body, causing intoxication and inflammation, including in the mammary glands.
- False pregnancy can also cause mastitis of the mammary glands.
- Clogging of the nipple flow sphincters leads to congestive and then inflammatory processes.
In principle, a bitch’s mastitis can appear due to a wide variety of effects - excessively high or low temperatures, chemical substances entering the mammary gland area, hormonal disturbances, and even a stressful situation can provoke such inflammation.
Unlearned bitches who have whelp in a dirty place will most often suffer from mastitis. In addition, if the mother of the bitch had mastitis, then it is likely that he will appear with her.
Clinical manifestations of the disease
As mentioned above, not all types of mastitis can be diagnosed independently, due to the lack of clear symptoms of the disease, but, in most cases, there are still some characteristic signs:
- the dog becomes lethargic, sedentary, eats little or refuses altogether;
- with the naked eye, it is clear that the mammary glands swell, they feel hot when feeling, and the dog feels pain from touching;
- the skin on the glands turn red;
- if you press on the nipple, then milk may be released from them with an admixture of purulent exudate (greenish-brown, grayish flakes); in case of purulent mastitis, a thick gray mass will flow out of the nipple, possibly with a blood impurity.
If no medical assistance is provided in time, then a symptom of mastitis called an abscess may appear in dogs. As a result, the sites of accumulation of purulent masses are opened, a fistula is formed, from which gray pus with particles of dead tissue oozes. Such a condition can cause gangrenous infection of the udder.
Dog mastitis treatment
After making a diagnosis, the question arises: "How to treat mastitis in a dog?". First of all, a sick dog needs complete rest. If she nurtures the offspring, then she needs to be relieved of this responsibility and transfer the puppies to artificial nutrition, or transfer to another nursing bitch.
For the treatment of the initial stages of mastitis, conservative therapy is used:
- Laser therapy It is carried out with the help of special laser devices. For this treatment, 3-5 sessions of one and a half to two minutes are sufficient.
- Antibiotic therapy. Drugs are prescribed based on the cause of the disease. It is best if the dog undergoes a diagnostic examination to identify the pathogen from secretory milk secretions.
- Novocainic blockade. This method is used to treat the initial stage of purulent or catarrhal type of mastitis. The blockade is carried out by injecting a solution of novocaine around the affected area. If necessary, the manipulation is recommended to repeat after three days. With outpatient therapy, the blockade can be performed every three days using the antibiotic bicillin-3.
In the recovery stage, you can apply heat to the affected mammary glands - heating pads, compresses, paraffin applications, lamp irradiations. Excellent result gives the use of ozokerite (mountain wax), as it warms even the deeper layers of tissue.
If mastitis is accompanied by an abscess, then thermal procedures are not recommended, as they can provoke an autopsy of pus and the penetration of pus on healthy tissue.
In modern medicine, the drug Mastometrin is used to treat mastitis in dogs, which eliminates inflammation and restores the functionality of the endometrium. Often it is used together with Travmatin, injecting it into a muscle or subcutaneously in a single syringe. The course of treatment lasts from three to five days.
If conservative treatment does not give positive dynamics for several days, then in the presence of multiple abscesses with purulent formations surgery is prescribed.
Abscesses are opened, cavities cleared of pus are filled with antimicrobial powder, for example, Streptocide or Tricillin. Then, until complete healing, the damaged areas are smeared with antimicrobial and regenerative ointments.
A real example of mastitis treatment:
How to prevent illness
Every owner should take full care of his pet:
- provide hygienic conditions;
- provide a complete diet;
- care for dog's hair and teeth;
- ensure that the pet is not injured;
- Do not allow hypothermia dogs.
Especially careful care requires a dog during gestation of offspring and in the postpartum period. At this time, the animal may develop various complications, and the owner must ensure timely treatment.
If the pet is kept in a booth or an outdoor aviary, then it is necessary to warm the booth and monitor the cleanliness of the litter , changing it as it gets dirty. The litter should not be of a material that cannot be disinfected and cleaned (straw, hay, wood chips). In winter, it is advisable to close the doorway to the booth with a curtain protecting it from the wind.
If we are talking about a dog contained in an apartment, then before giving birth she needs to equip a suitable place. It should not be located on the territory of a bathroom or kitchen, the apartment’s threshold is also not a suitable place.
Best suited for puppy bitch box lined with a cloth. After delivery, the soiled litter must be replaced with a clean one. So that the animal can easily leave the box and come back, without injuring the nipples on the edges, you can do one side below the others and upholster it with dense material.
After childbirth, the body of the dog must be wiped with a napkin or a soft cloth moistened with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, especially carefully treating contaminated places.
Do not forget about the care of the appearance of the dog, even after childbirth, it must be cleaned with a brush or other device, combing wool. Careful attitude to the parent who has given birth will allow to avoid the occurrence of serious diseases.