When a dog is being set up, the owners face such a completely standard phenomenon as moulting. Naturally, few will like the wool around the house, but it should not be tolerated. No, it is not necessary to demand from the dog of the impossible - to stop shedding, but it is worthwhile to help the pet during this period. In addition, moulting in dogs can be non-seasonal, and associated with a particular condition, or some kind of disease. In this case, the pet needs specialist help and special care.
- Естественная линька у собак 1. Natural molting in dogs
- Линька, не связанная со сменой шерсти 2. Moult, not associated with the change of wool
- Как правильно вычесывать шерстку в период линьки 3. How to properly comb the fur during the moult period
- Дополнительные мероприятия во время линьки 4. Additional activities during moulting
- Уход за различными типами шерсти 5. Care for different types of wool
Natural molting in dogs
The coat of the dog performs a number of important functions:
- It makes the skin of the animal inaccessible to all kinds of parasites - fleas , ticks .
- Prevents the development of infectious diseases.
- Protects against atmospheric phenomena.
In addition, a beautiful, shiny coat gives the dog a well-groomed look. The owner often wakes up a desire to stroke a pet over a luxurious fur coat, and this gives pleasure to both parties.
But wool has one property - 2 times a year is renewed. This is a very important process for the health of the animal, which occurs in spring and autumn.
A common question: "How long does the moult last for dogs?". The duration of natural molting is 7-14 days. In this period, you need to take certain measures, and of course, you will have to do cleaning more often in the house, since you will not be able to completely get rid of the ubiquitous wool. The first molt begins after reaching half a year of age.
Moult, not associated with the change of hair
In a healthy animal molting passes quickly, not greatly affecting the appearance of the pet, since the renewal of the coat occurs almost immediately.
The cause for concern should be a protracted molt, when the wool crawls out, and the one that remains, looks lifeless and untidy. The growth of the wool is slowed down, its structure and the density of the cover can change. The reasons can be covered both in the failure of the organism's activity, and in the presence of any disease:
- lack of vitamins and beneficial microelements in the dog's body;
- liver disease (hepatitis);
- disruption of the gastrointestinal tract or endocrine system;
- failures in the work of the kidneys;
- infection with parasites;
- breakdown of the immune system.
In this situation, consultation with a veterinarian is required. Abundant loss of hair can be associated with the stress borne by the pet, for example, after parting with the owner, moving to another place of residence, a conflict situation.
In the case of weakening of the body after childbirth, trauma, surgery or prolonged illness, an unscheduled moulting is also possible.
The reason for a strong moult in a dog can be the person himself, if too often the pet is bathing. Yes, it is connected with good intentions, but shampoos are able to deprive the dog of the necessary protective fatty layer that forms on the skin. In this situation, the hair bulbs become much weaker, and the hairs begin to fall out.
Wool can react to molting and environmental conditions. For example, indoor dogs, rarely outdoors and kept in a poorly ventilated room, can update the fur coat all the time, but this does not happen in street dogs.
How to comb out the fur during the moulting period
It does not matter what caused the change of wool - the offensive season or other factors, but it is important to help the dog and ease her condition in this difficult period.
The main way - daily comb out the hair with a special comb or brush. Such manipulation is extremely useful for the health of the animal, because:
- help the dog get rid of dead hair and accelerate the growth of new hairs;
- will have a stimulating effect on blood circulation in the upper layer of the epidermis, which will improve the supply of nutrients, vitamins and beneficial microelements to the hair follicle;
- will improve the appearance of the wool - it will become smoother, silky.
And still, if you comb out your dog every day, you rarely have to take a broom or a vacuum cleaner.
Such care requires special tools:
- To remove coils from the undercoat, you need a comb made of hardened steel, not bad if it is covered with nickel.
- Where a metal tool does not work, a more delicately functioning pout-brush is useful. Suitable for use in sensitive areas.
- Well removes dead skin from the dog's body in the form of a glove.
Using this set of tools daily, you can save the pet from the old wool within 4-5 days. There is also a tool capable of performing almost all of the above-mentioned functions - a fusilator. It looks like a rake, and does not affect the new wool, gearing and raising the undercoat layer.
There are restrictions on its use - it is impossible to apply if the skin of the animal has damage - irritated areas, ulcerous lesions, wounds, bruises or abrasions. Also, it is not suitable for processing some breeds - frieze, American spaniels, terriers, Chinese crested , poodles, bobs, curly-haired retrievers.
Another important condition is that the dog should not have collars, which means that before the procedure it is necessary to comb the hair with a comb or a comb made of metal. If you do not do this, the pet will be too hurt.
Quickly rid the beloved pet from dead wool by using a laminator after bathing. The tool must be driven along the growth of the coat, neatly and without pressure.
You can see a video about the correct combing of a dog:
Additional activities during moulting
In addition to combing, during moulting it is recommended to use dry conditioners that improve the structure of the hair and feed them.
While washing the pet on the coat, it is possible to apply a balm or conditioner designed for use during moulting. This will strengthen the roots of the hair and make the combing more comfortable, since the wool will not be much confused. For this period, a shampoo is used, which includes a protein that creates a protective film on the skin.
It is worth paying attention to the nutrition of the dog during the moult period. At this time, the pet should be given vitamin complexes. In veterinary departments or pharmacies you can buy special products that improve the quality of wool. The main ingredients needed to strengthen the hair are vitamins B, copper and zinc.
If the animal eats natural food, it is worthwhile to increase the amount of protein products in the diet, since the protein imparts shine and elasticity to the wool. The dog needs more meat, only lean, from the offal, you can give boiled liver and chicken hearts. A couple of times a week you can pamper your pet with sea fish, but you need to choose low-fat varieties and before serving carefully remove the bones.
It is recommended to give fish oil to the dog during moulting. In the diet it is desirable to include cereals and vegetables, and if the dog does not care about this food - add canned food to the food, to which the animal is not indifferent.
Care for different types of wool
Moulting varies in different breeds, it all depends on the length and quality of the coat:
- How to care for long-haired pets . Dogs with long hair molt intensively, they need frequent haircuts and regular combing. During moulting, you can bathe the dog every two weeks. Similar procedures are required for pets related to the breeds of poodles, spaniels, terriers, shih-tzu, Scottish shepherds - collies and shelties, golden retrievers and St. Bernards. If you do not pay proper attention to the pet's hair, it will collapse into coils, and the skin will become covered with irritation and sores. And such a pet is very easy to get infected with parasites. The owner of a long-haired friend must have a brush and a sea of patience at the time of molting.
- Care for dogs with short hair. Often, people prefer dogs with short hair, hoping that trouble with the hair will not be. However, such a pet also has the property of renewing its coat, like all other breeds twice a year. In addition, short hairs-bristles are very difficult to remove from carpeting. Such breeds include Dobermans, Bulldogs, Great Danes, Dalmatians, Rottweilers, Boxers , etc. During the change of wool, the animal's body needs to be wiped with a towel made of mahra or velor, and several times a week they need cleaning with a special brush with natural bristles.
- Care for the owners of tough wool. Representatives of the breeds of schnauzers and terriers have lost the ability to be washed out independently, and this is definitely a plus. But still they need to remove the dead wool. For this, dogs are made with a pinch (also called "artificial molt") - trimming . There are two ways - use a special knife or do it by hand. The procedure for animals is carried out at least once a half a year, you can do it yourself, or contact a groomer specialist. In this case, it is not only about aesthetics, but also to protect the skin of the dog from possible irritation and discomfort.
Moulting is a difficult period for both dogs and their owners. But if it refers to the situation, as to the reality, and to facilitate the condition of the pet, you can overcome any difficulties.